HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 08:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Pock by Barrie, game tied 3-3.

Malone has been destroying on the draws.

Also Carey has some really nice speed and hands. I've been very impressed with him so far.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:15 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Trollver seals the deal

Old
10-20-2012, 09:16 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

LE wins 5-3, Barrie a three point night.

Aitto had a very big save against Eberle late in the 3rd when the score was 4-3.

Awesome win.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Zandar

Lake Erie now takes on Jack "Honorable Mention" Campbell and the Texas Stars. Oh and JC has been pulled already after just over a period into today's game. Hopefully a Pickard vs Campbell match up.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:38 PM
chet1926

So I have had an opportunity to watch about 2.5 of the 4 Monsters game so far and one thing that sticks out to me is that they play a very similar style to the Avs. They aren't overly talented but they play a blue collar game and so far have out-worked their opponents.

The Monsters have played 2 really good teams, loaded with NHL caliber players and have won 3 of 4.

In tonights game the Monsters looked like the hungrier team. The Barons who are loaded with players like Schultz, RNH, Eberle and MPS looked like a team with some disinterested NHLers who tried (and were successful sometimes) ridiculous individual efforts.

Aitto played solid again, had a huge save with about 1:30 left on a partial breakaway by Eberle to preserve the win.

Barrie is the best player on the team, if the NHL gets their act together Barrie should get a long hard look at getting top 6 minutes with the Avs.

Sgarbossa had an ok game was pretty solid on faceoffs. Seems to be trying to figure out how to produce at this level. You can see the creativity but its not coming together yet on the score sheet.

Gaunce was also ok, nothing too special.

Heard appears to be getting 4th line minutes right now, so its hard to get a feel for how he is playing. Was on the ice I believe for the 1st goal.

Olver was his usual chippy self, didn't seem to be in on the offense much but at the end of the day he ended up with a goal and assist. Usually when you have a couple points and you weren't really noticed its a good thing.

Elliott has been super disappointing so far, very quiet offensively and has had multiple defensive gaffs, he needs to pick it up.

Carey continues to be a pleasant surprise. Pretty good speed and is producing offensively.

Many others have played pretty solid hockey that I didn't mention, but the ones I mentioned are the one's most people seem to be most interested in.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

You guys have a very hard working club down there, our coach should be tearing our players a new one and telling them that every player that gets outworked next game will sit the game after. Barrie is a very skilled hockey player and a guy that will be a dynamic player at the next level IMO.

10-20-2012, 09:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post

Elliott has been super disappointing so far, very quiet offensively and has had multiple defensive gaffs, he needs to pick it up.
I kind of disagree. True Elliott has had his gaffs here and there so far, but he definitely has improved his defensive play since last season. He is also getting about half of what Barrie is getting on the powerplay. We've already seen what he can do offensively in the NHL, so I'm not that worried about his lack of point production so far.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
I knew following Sami on twitter was a good idea

Quote:
Sami Aittokallio ‏@Aittokallio74

Wasn't good enough on first two periods. But ****! Winning is everything! Big hand for our boys!
It's uncensored on twitter but censored here.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
How good was Shultz this game? All I heard on my FB was how godly Shultz was tonight.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
I knew following Sami on twitter was a good idea

It's uncensored on twitter but censored here.
They'll break media train him soon enough.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
How good was Shultz this game? All I heard on my FB was how godly Shultz was tonight.
He was good, but not as noticeable like he was in the other games.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I kind of disagree. True Elliott has had his gaffs here and there so far, but he definitely has improved his defensive play since last season. He is also getting about half of what Barrie is getting on the powerplay. We've already seen what he can do offensively in the NHL, so I'm not that worried about his lack of point production so far.
Have to agree. How Elliott is being used is different than Barrie. Except for this game, Elliott's partner has been Pock or someone of a PMD style. This requires Elliott to play more balanced and not always be the one to jumpstart the play. So his offensive style is more muted than normal. Then to get second unit power play time...once they aren't seeing the top teams over and over, we may see Elliott try to open things up more where he won't have someone like Eberle breaking the other way if he goofs.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
He is very talented offensively for sure. Needs to add some size as expected as he's been the focus of some real physicality so far.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Sgarbossa had an ok game was pretty solid on faceoffs. Seems to be trying to figure out how to produce at this level. You can see the creativity but its not coming together yet on the score sheet.

Gaunce was also ok, nothing too special.

Carey continues to be a pleasant surprise. Pretty good speed and is producing offensively.

Many others have played pretty solid hockey that I didn't mention, but the ones I mentioned are the one's most people seem to be most interested in.
Sgar just needs to find chemistry with his linemates. Too often they are off by a step. He has the unfortunate situation of a very short preseason then having to play two of the top teams in the league. That situation works better for players who rely on a more physical game rather than skilled.

Gaunce has looked ok because his role has evolved. He's not the do everything type right now and gets paired with generally the weaker D partner and/or offensive oriented which requires him to adjust to a shutdown role. You won't see him on the PP too often.

Carey is exactly what the Avs hoped they had with Galiardi. Now to possibly fill Winnik and TJs spots with Malone and Carey down the road is an upgrade. Then to get the three players they did in the trade...

Old
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I know its only a few games in the AHL and so it really doesnt mean a whole lot, but Barrie has been so damn impressive so far.

That goal he scored on the Marlies was just disgusting, and now he's playing at above a PPG through 4 games against 2 strong teams.

Cant wait to see what he can do with the Avs in the next couple of years, Top pairing next to EJ isnt out of the question IMO, he plays a pretty good Defensive game, and his Offensive game looks to have really improved. Give him a couple years and he could be a Top pairing guy with EJ.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:36 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I know its only a few games in the AHL and so it really doesnt mean a whole lot, but Barrie has been so damn impressive so far.

That goal he scored on the Marlies was just disgusting, and now he's playing at above a PPG through 4 games against 2 strong teams.

Cant wait to see what he can do with the Avs in the next couple of years, Top pairing next to EJ isnt out of the question IMO, he plays a pretty good Defensive game, and his Offensive game looks to have really improved. Give him a couple years and he could be a Top pairing guy with EJ.
Barrie reminds me alot of a young Dan Boyle

Old
10-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

You have to wonder where Minnesota is going to fit everyone in. They have Coyle, Granlund, Brodin and Larsson in the AHL now. I suppose Granlund and Brodin are the two that might force themselves into the NHL if the lockout ends.

Ottawa has a similar thing with Zibanejad and Silfverberg, who might be ready for the NHL.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
You have to wonder where Minnesota is going to fit everyone in. They have Coyle, Granlund, Brodin and Larsson in the AHL now. I suppose Granlund and Brodin are the two that might force themselves into the NHL if the lockout ends.

Ottawa has a similar thing with Zibanejad and Silfverberg, who might be ready for the NHL.
Trades

How else will they get under the cap ceiling? Move out high priced to make room for Coyle, Granlund and company. Everyone talks about the Oklahoma City but Houston has a very dangerous team. They have additional threats in Zucker, etc. then a top goalie.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Binghamton are up 5-0 when Lehner is ejected for a fight. Then they go on to lose the game 5-6 in OT after being outshot 20-4 in the third.

Awesome.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:08 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Highlights?

Edit: Never mind I found them. http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|EDM|home

Last edited by BrickAHL: 10-21-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 04:44 AM
klozge
Avs

Maybe Monsters are just lucky to play the Barons so early in this season but it's great to know that there's no chance to lose the series anymore. I'm very proud of the Baby-Avs.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:58 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
If Elliott is getting half the PP time, who is getting those minutes at the point?

Old
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
If Elliott is getting half the PP time, who is getting those minutes at the point?
In one of the PP's last night, Barrie seemed to play the entire 2 min. while Elliott was swapped out with Pock and Stollery (who scored on the PP as well last night).

So the end of the ice I sat on ended up being OKC attacks twice, so I only got to see the 1st OKC goal tonight. And it was as I described earlier, it seemed that Sullivan (# 37) was chasing the puck carrier, and left his side of the ice/his man who settled down next to the goal. An easy cross-ice pass and it resulted in a quick goal. Aitto made a good effort, but the moment that pass was going to be made, I knew it was going to result in a goal.

I didn't have a good angle on the LE Goal in the 1st period, it was on the other end and there were obnoxious fans in my way.

Now, in the 2nd period, the goal by Agozzino was a nice beaut, with a nice pass by Paul Carey and it was a nice little backhand over the shoulder of the Barons goaltender.

The goals by OKC in the 2nd were like the LE goals in the 1st for me, I didn't have a good angle on them. It looked like the first LE goal in the 2nd period was a little like the Agozzino goal for LE, in that a player got in a little tight on Aitto and then flipped it up over his shoulder, but I couldn't see very well, and the screen for the replay at the Cox Convention Center leaves a bit to be desired.

The goal by the Barons that made it 3-2 for them certainly LOOKED like it was tipped when looking at the replays, but again, I couldn't see very well. But it just looked after it went in that Aitto was really wishing he had another crack at that one.

I thought that Barrie was simply amazing. He has very nice and smooth hands with the puck, and at times tonight that I could see him, he looked hard to knock off the puck.

Elliott has the talent, I could definitely see that, but he didn't do anything that really stood out to me. He did not get that much time on the PP it seemed, whereas it seemed that Barrie was on the ice for almost all of the PP time (even though I know he wasn't)

Brad Malone was a beast on Faceoffs, plain and simple, and he's wearing an "A". On that subject, I don't recall seeing anyone wear a "C" last night, I saw Pock, Malone and one other player (I want to say Sullivan) wearing the "A" last night.

Sgarbossa has some nice moves, he nearly had a nice mini-break last night for a good shot, but the OKC player broke it up.

Heard was mainly playing a Defensive role, and could have been on the 3rd line, because was playing with Bordeleau and I think Carey for most of the game...because those players all had the # 8 somewhere in their number, I started referring to that line as the "Crazy 8's" line. It is definitely apparent that Heard is a rookie in the AHL, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, but you can see at times that he's learning. He did have a moment in the 3rd where I thought he was going to fight the OKC player Kristian Pelss who was called for Checking to the Head where it was VERY apparent that he was headhunting Luke Walker. It was quickly broken up, but Heard got in his face and was ready to pounce.

Olver was Olver...he was what we've seen before, he was fiesty, he was trolling, it was glorious! He had the breakaway for LE that was broken up at the end, and he was not happy about it afterwards, but it's all good, he got the empty-netter in the end.

What I DID notice by sitting so close to the LE bench, was the coaching staff being very supportive of the players on the ice when they came off and their last shift didn't go the way they wanted it to go. Not so much Chynoweth, because he was concerned w/ coaching the overall game, but the Assistant Coaches were very quick to offer some praise or a "It's okay, let's get it next time!" while encouraging the players. And it wasn't just the rookies, it was everyone. With these young players that can help go a long way towards keeping their spirits up.

Other than that, I don't have much else to report, other than that Pickard has some slick flow! I know on this boards here we sort of referred to Darcy Tucker as "Hair Flow", but if Pickard plays w/ the Avs and doesn't change his hairstyle, we'll have a new "Hair Flow".

Old
10-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Zandar

The lines were adjusted for the game but I believe Carey was with Aggz and Walker for the most part. Sure there was some line juggling but even then guys like Olver-Malone-Thomas stayed together. The other two were Lerg-Sgar-WalkerG and Bordy-Heard-Dvg. Even the D saw new pairings.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Foppa2118

Elliott has to earn his PP time. It's not like the coaches don't know what he's done in junior, and what kind of player he is. It sounds like Barrie has just outplayed him since day one in camp.

Closed Thread