HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Eddie Lack is very impressive. Has to be the best goalie in the AHL.
Former Ranger prospect Roman Horak off to a good start with 3g in 3gp. How did he look?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:00 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Girgensons probably played 10 minutes tops tonight. Not a good showing by him at all.

Ferraro scored again and was all over the ice

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Former Ranger prospect Roman Horak off to a good start with 3g in 3gp. How did he look?
He's been quite good, but I still question his ability to be a top 6 player in the NHL. I'm not too sure what to expect from him in the future.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Kassian with a nice goals in regulation and the shootout, won a fight, and needed to be double-teamed. Great game.

On the other side, Horak looked impressive.

Edit: Horak looked really polished. Shifty skating ability, and slick passing. Could stand to shoot more, but I think he got 1st star...

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:20 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Girgensons probably played 10 minutes tops tonight. Not a good showing by him at all.

Ferraro scored again and was all over the ice
If his TOI is the only drawback, then all I have to say is, he's an 18 year old in the AHL.

We're considering Lindholm having a lot of ice time at the AHL level VERY good news. Girgs will get his due.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Kassian with a nice goals in regulation and the shootout, won a fight, and needed to be double-teamed. Great game.

On the other side, Horak looked impressive.

Edit: Horak looked really polished. Shifty skating ability, and slick passing. Could stand to shoot more, but I think he got 1st star...
Lack played amazing too. Abotsford robbed him out of being one of the three stars(I thought for sure he'd be 1st). Made some incredible saves against Baertschi, who was dangerous all night.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:56 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
If his TOI is the only drawback, then all I have to say is, he's an 18 year old in the AHL.

We're considering Lindholm having a lot of ice time at the AHL level VERY good news. Girgs will get his due.
Hopefully. Rolston seems to favor certain players and keep giving them time/chances despite the fact that they're clearly not earning it.
Girgensons didn't do all that much with the limited ice time he had tonight though. Still, I don't really understand how you lose Corey Tropp from your top line and decide to put your 13th forward (Brian Flynn) up there instead of giving a guy like Girgs a chance in the top 6.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Hopefully. Rolston seems to favor certain players and keep giving them time/chances despite the fact that they're clearly not earning it.
Girgensons didn't do all that much with the limited ice time he had tonight though. Still, I don't really understand how you lose Corey Tropp from your top line and decide to put your 13th forward (Brian Flynn) up there instead of giving a guy like Girgs a chance in the top 6.
He is 18. Your coaching staff is likely taking it slow. There's nothing wrong with easing him into the top 6.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:08 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It's not as bad as a 20 year old Emerson Etem being invisible. Dude just got his start. It's not big deal.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:39 AM
newfy

Quote:

Its one of his first games but for that high of a pick, I thought he would at least make himself noticeable with some flashes of his talent even on one shift. He did absolutely nothing out there

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:42 AM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Its one of his first games but for that high of a pick, I thought he would at least make himself noticeable with some flashes of his talent even on one shift. He did absolutely nothing out there
I thought the past two games prior he was pretty decent. Might have just been one of those nights.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
AHL Action: Marlies versus Bulldogs.

Prospect Marlies:
Gardiner once again in my opinion was the best player on the ice. He ended getting the only goal for the marlies against Mayer who seemed like a god in net.
Kadri was by far our best forward again tonight, but did make some errors in the offensive zone but it might be due to the frustration that our entire team was facing on not scoring a goal.
Blacker seems to have gotten more responsibility under Eakins this time around. He's been on the powerplay and penalty kill, and has shown good chances for the Marlies. I hope his buffer time is over after last year with all the injuries and he starts to rack up some points with the added responsibility.
Mckegg was silent and wasn't that active as I wanted him but then again the entire Marlies team was shut down by Mayer.
D'amigo tried to spark the team but failed he was pretty good at times but even then he wasn't a game changed tonight.
Deschamps after a torrid start with marlies after the trade, seems lost.

Bulldogs:
Jared Tinordi was a beauty tonight. Aside from Mayer he really stood out to me, he was solid and made some good plays to stop the offensive. If the bulldogs didn't have mayer to save his ass, everyone would have relied on him. He also seems to use his body well and I am curious on how he paces himself to use it more in the AHL.
Nathan Beaulieu was good from time to time, I was mostly praising Tinordi but he picked it up as the game progressed. I really like how he joins in the rush but he sometimes doesn't do it at the right times IMO. He's a guy to watch for sure and I'll see how he does as the season progresses.
One guy I haven't heard much about that stood out tonight was Corbin, he seems like a chipping in offensively from the offensive zone. I can't say much about him as I don't know him.
Forward wise there weren't any that really stood out for me, sure Leblanc got those two goals but still he didn't seem that impress me as much. Bournival on the other seemed like a good soldier and was making some good moves.

That's all I got from tonights game. I'll try to do a short recap on prospect tomorrow as well.
Nice write-up.

Round II tonight, and this time I'll be able to watch!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Watched the Norfolk Admirals-Connecticut Whale game (Admirals win 5-4 in OT), my thoughts

Whale:
Kreider: completely underwhelmed. Yes he's faster than I remember. And yes he looks physically capable of playing in the NHL, but he didn't wow me at all
Brandon Segal: Looked pretty good out there. Dominated on the score sheet. Looks like he's maybe another year out.
JT Miller: Well, he certainly looks like a first rounder, but he does seem to be a couple years out of being a regular for the Rangers.
Matt Gilroy: Annoyed me. In a good way. Kept guys out of the zone. Had a few goals, a few steals, and a few blocked shots.

Norfolk

Hampus Lindholm: Getting better by the game. Tonight was the first time I was genuinely happy we drafted him. He reminds me a bit of Fowler, but an inverse. While Fowler is stronger on offense than defense, Lindholm is stronger in his own zone than on offense. He was physically dominant (saw him shut down Kreider twice in open ice, and once along the boards). For an 18 year old, he's been fantastic in the AHL.
Sami Vatanen: Still looks like a star out there. 3 assists on the evening. Can be handled physically, though.
Kyle Palmieri: Still looks like a genuine threat to be a good top 6 forward
Corey Elkins: Had a hat trick tonight but he really strikes me as an opportunist. Still a few years out.
Smith Pelly: Had a great second game against Worchester, but I don't think he played as well. Dominated physically, but he mishandled the puck quite a bit.
Igor Bobkov: Too shaky in net. We want Andersen back.
Mat Clark: Looks like a good future #6 defender
Peter Holland: Still needs to add consistency to his game. He's physically at an NHL level, but his head isn't quite there yet.
Emerson Etem: Really needs to get it together. He hardly contributes when he doesn't have the puck and he disappears for long periods of time. Needs to learn to play the professional game. 3 games in, he's been disappointing. Didn't even have so much as a shot on goal tonight.
Thanks for the info. Just a fyi, Segal is 29 years old. Career minor leaguer/4th liner.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Yeah, he's an 18yo kid coming out the the USHL; there's going to be an adjustment period. The gap between the USHL and AHL is a pretty big one. He's had a couple good games, and you can see the talent is there. I thought he was one of Rochester's best forwards in the Toronto game, despite not registering a point, and then got his first pro point the next game against the B-Sens. He didn't do much of anything last night, and, frankly, really wasn't given much opportunity to, but for a kid in his situation, even making the AHL is a huge testament to his skill level.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:24 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Thanks for the info. Just a fyi, Segal is 29 years old. Career minor leaguer/4th liner.
I do remember him in the NHL. I'd always call him Steven Segal.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Sami Vatanen scored a goal and had an assist to make his point total 1 goal 5 assists 6 points in 4 games
Kyle Palmieri had a goal and an two assists to put himself two points above a PPG pace
Peter Holland had an assist and is at a point per game
Maroon added his third goal of the year
Etem had four shots but still failed to get on the scoreboard
Hampus Lindholm had his first professional point tonight, assisting on a powerplay goal
Frederik Andersen stopped 32 of 35 shots.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
That

Just finished watching the Marlies - Bulldogs game tonight. Horrible game from the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs:

- Greg Pateryn was pretty bad tonight, nothing seemed to go his way at all. He blew defensive coverage and couldn't handle the puck at all.
- Antoine Corbin had a bad game as well. He had a few nice plays offensively, but had a too many turnovers for my liking.
- Brendan Nash was very noticeable, he was extremely physical and had was solid on the breakout. He also took some dumb penalties and chased the puck too much.
- Jarred Tinordi was solid. He had some bad moments, but looked very poised.
- Nathan Beaulieu looked fantastic with the puck on his and he had a ton of chances, but he defense was pretty bad. Not good coverage at all, and didn't tried to stickhandle himself out of trouble unsuccessfully a few times.
- Steve Quailer had good moments and that's about it. He uses his size to protect the puck so well, but he isn't the most physical guy. He really showed some good speed too, but was invisible in his own zone.
- Brendan Gallagher was fantastic, he created a ton of chances, but couldn't get his shot off. He crashed the net quite often.
- Michael Bournival played a quiet but solid game. He never ever gave up, it's not to like the kid, even it's just because of his attitude and motor.
- Louis Leblanc left with an injury. It's a same because he was actually playing a pretty good game.
- Aaron Palushaj played a pretty bad game. Sure he had his chances, but the effort level wasn't there tonight.
- Patrick Holland, he had a handful of nice moves and really had some really nice passes. He needs to learn to shoot at better times, and needs to improve his defensive game.
- The only time Gabriel Dumont wasn't invisible was when he was getting punched in the face. Rough game for him.
- Blake Geoffrion is really playing with the some fire. I'm still not sure if he'll ever be an NHLer though. He's not skilled enough for the top 6 and not physical enough for the bottom 6.

Marlies:

- Korbinian Holzer was solid tonight, well he always is, but he particularly good tonight.
- Nazem Kadri had his fair share of chances. He had some really slick moves. I noticed that he got stripped of the very easily though. Players would just skate by him and take the puck. His strength is an issue, but his skill alone should eventually get him an NHL spot.
- Carter Ashton started off quiet, but played better as the game went on. He's playing with emotion and that's something that he's lacked early into this season.
- Jake Gardiner is too good for the AHL. Like way too good.
- Joe Colborne. Did he even play?
- Jesse Blacker was very good tonight. It didn't show up on the boxscore, but he's improved his defensive game so much. He made some solid plays and was very good defensively.
- Greg McKegg started off very strong, slowed down and then finished strong. He's such an underrated prospect, he's got top 6 potential.
- Leo Komarov was very noticeable. I like how he combines his grittiness and skill.
- Jussi Rynnas looked great. He wasn't tested very often, but when he did he came up big. Looked very good out there.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:07 PM
boredmale

Nino with another goal(5 points in 3 games) as he tries to win the comeback player of the year

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Tyson Barrie had a three point night against OKC. 3g - 2a in 4 games

Paul Carey has been very impressive as well, he has great speed with awesome hands. 1g - 3a in 4 games.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Sami Vatanen scored a goal and had an assist to make his point total 1 goal 5 assists 6 points in 4 games
Kyle Palmieri had a goal and an two assists to put himself two points above a PPG pace
Peter Holland had an assist and is at a point per game
Maroon added his third goal of the year
Etem had four shots but still failed to get on the scoreboard
Hampus Lindholm had his first professional point tonight, assisting on a powerplay goal
Frederik Andersen stopped 32 of 35 shots.
Holland had two assists.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Marcus Foligno scored 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, Hodgson with 3 assists.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Holland had two assists.
how has he fared so far? I really hope he does well this season.

edit: I'll post more about hte marlies recap soon.

10-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
how has he fared so far? I really hope he does well this season.

edit: I'll post more about hte marlies recap soon.
Extremely well. He's looking like he'll be a bit like Carter. He's got a wicked wrister.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Extremely well. He's looking like he'll be a bit like Carter. He's got a wicked wrister.
I liked what I saw of him in highlight reels back in the day, big guy with a lot of skill. Hopefully he becomes that 2C that you guys have been looking for.

10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Eddy lack has been solid for the wolves tonight. Kassian has been a pest and a beast.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote