HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
don't know why but i sort of expected much more from schroeder.

10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Marcus Foligno scored 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, Hodgson with 3 assists.

Sounds like a beast of a night from Foligno.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Jbcraig1883

Granlund 2+2 tonight for 7 points total.

The Zucker-Granlund-Coyle 20 year old line has been dominant.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:50 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post

Gee... Who would've thought... Future is bright there.

It's interesting to see all the young potential power forwards doing well, especially Foligno.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post

Okay so you guys have that can you give the leafs my bud phillips please!?
Wanted coyle when he was with the sharks and sitll want him but nooo has to be gone to the wilds! lol he's special happy for him.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
don't know why but i sort of expected much more from schroeder.
He's been good on the back-check and made some good passes, including one to Rodin who scored (but was called back), but I agree, 5 on 5 he leaves a lot to be desired. Needs to get it together this year.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:26 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Sven Baertschi just absolutely ripped it past Eddie Lack, 2 points tonight.

Edit: Horak has scored four goals in 4 straight. This guy has been great.

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Marcus Foligno scored 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, Hodgson with 3 assists.
That line is going to be Filthy this year if this lockout continues.

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

AHL action: Bulldogs @ Marlies

Marlies Prospect:
Gardiner doesn't belong in the AHL, he clearly is just toying with players now. I hope he doesn't let this get to his head though and still plays solid overall.
Kadri again was buzzing all night long, got a quick assist on a garbage goal we can say as the pucks were bouncing for the Marlies tonight. He was knocked off the pack at the get go and was a bit weird at times but he settled down. I still noticed he was making some foolish moves, not as many as last year but still could drop those for the NHL. He was definitely snake bitten or he could've easily gotten 3 points or so.
Colborne started of good and has gotten better in puck protecting and movement, he was instrumental in getting our fourth goal I believe as he was screening the bulldogs goalie for Gardiner's slapper. However as the game progressed he really disappeared and wasn't much of force or anything.
Carter Ashton on the other hand started off very slow but started to buzz towards the end of the night. This kid clearly has the body and defensive game to be in the NHL, and was making good plays along the boards, problem is his offense still isn't coming out. I expect much more from as I know he is capable of it.
Greg Mckegg was good from to time for the leafs, he got a quick goal for us but afterwards wasn't that noticeable to me atleast. He was playing okay defensively but nothing that stood out to me. He needs to correct his skating still IMO as it sort of seemed off, we know he has the skills to be a top 9 player but he needs to clear out his defense and skating more to truly be a force.
Jesse Blacker is being used by Dallas Eakins a lot more this year and seems to rely on him quite a bit, which is good as Jesse is using this well. Problem is this game he didn't seem that engaged offensively as he was last night, defensively he was good though. I am assuming as the season progresses so will his offense.
Korbian Holzer continued his way to be that silent solid player for us. Nothing fancy nothing stupid, just simple defense.
Leo Komarov was beastly, was a major pain in the thorn for the opponent and was wrecking people with hits. One of it was questionable for sure and I am not sure if that would fly in the NHL. He is slowly starting to show more skill as he gets comfortable with our team.
Kenny Ryan for a guy who was in the ECHL last year and was suppose to be back there again due to the major depth of our team, struck back with two goals tonight. Totalling 4 goals in two games, he didn't get much play time but he is making the most of it. Got into a fight and made some hits but as the game went on he was quiet again. was an assist away from a Gordie Howe Hattrick.
Last but not least Jussi Rynnas, he was a solid for us but not exactly a huge force or anything. He was quiet and not really tested by the bulldogs as the marlies had a good game going on tonight and a lot of lucky bounces, however he did come up big for us when the bulldogs had has hemmed in the d-zone. He also came up big for us in the PK and that's what counts and that's what we expect from him. Many thought his spot would be taken after Owuya showing such promise but it seems like he still has fight in him yet.

Bulldogs Prospect:
The 23 year old goalie Mayer who was an absolute beast last night that shocked us all, was pretty bad today. After 3 goals he was pulled and showed his former self like last year.
Delmas his replacement on the other was beastly. He had made some tremendous saves, two consecutively after he was called in. Robbing momentum from the marlies and giving the bulldogs some.
Tinordi definitely slowed down after a very good night last night However he definitely seemed to have picked up his play as the game progressed. I sometimes forget this guy is an rookie in the pro-league. The habs sure have a good prospect in their hands. With more seasoning he will be a force and a solid guy to have in the back.
Nathan Beaulieu shows that he can be that 4th forward whenever and wherever. Problem is he still must realize when and where to do it. It's great he loves to join the rush and aid the offense but he has to be cautious and not forget he is a defensemen. With time hopefully he will change this and use his body more effectively as well.
Louis Leblanc wasn't that great to me, he was buzzing at times but nothing too substantial however he was injured from a play and didn't return for the rest of the game afterwards from a scrum.
Brendan Gallaghar IMO was the best forward, he was buzzing non stop and making a lot of chances, if anything he has impressed me more than the first rounder leblanc in the forward department.
Michael Bournival wasn't too bad tonight, he wasnt exactly making things happen on the ice but i didn't notice him for any bad plays. The bulldogs in general was getting pretty much hemmed in their defensive zone.
Geoffrion seems to show an extra gear tonight was making things on the ice and was impressive to me, hopefully he can bring out the skill he possess, might be a great pick up for the habs if he continues with this game.

That's all I got so far. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to watch tomorrows game against the Grand Rapid Griffins and give you guys more.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
He's been good on the back-check and made some good passes, including one to Rodin who scored (but was called back), but I agree, 5 on 5 he leaves a lot to be desired. Needs to get it together this year.
I feel like he's capable of more but he still isn't bring it out which is a shame.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
The Wolves getting physical; Kassian and Mallet both won fights(Mallet's after a highlight reel hit), while Pinizzotto also got involved in a scrum but lost.

Kassian also had a beautiful snipe in the 1st period; he and Schroeder were generating chances all night(not on the same line) but the Wolves after the 1st period were playing badly, especially the defense.

Abbotsford wins 4-1.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Trae

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The Wolves getting physical; Kassian and Mallet both won fights(Mallet's after a highlight reel hit), while Pinizzotto also got involved in a scrum but lost.

Kassian also had a beautiful snipe in the 1st period; he and Schroeder were generating chances all night(not on the same line) but the Wolves after the 1st period were playing badly, especially the defense.

Abbotsford wins 4-1.
Kassian has won me over this season, strong, skilled, physical, and quicker than I realized.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Kassian has won me over this season, strong, skilled, physical, and quicker than I realized.
Yup, he's a player.

Baertschi, Horak, Brodie playing very well for the Heat, as expected. All three would get a shot with the Flames if the lockout ended today.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He is a very good AHL player, similar to Mark Mancari. Once they get to the NHL they both disappear unfortunately.=/ (Small Sample Size)

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:04 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Well, he has not always been that quick.
He looks like he's improved since he was with the Sabres organization.
Even when he was in Windsor, the common refrain was that he had to keep his feet moving.
He did look a bit better last year in Rochester and really started producing, but he's looked much better in the three games I've watched with Chicago so far (the last three, two vs. Abbotsford and one against Peoria) than he did with Buffalo or Rochester last season IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
He is a very good AHL player, similar to Mark Mancari. Once they get to the NHL they both disappear unfortunately.=/ (Small Sample Size)
Way too early to say something like that.

It's hilarious how a second-rate radio guy managed to turn the majority of Sabres fans on a prospect they once practically worshiped.
****ing Matthew Coller.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Lol. Kassian was just as good as Foligno for the first couple of games, he just needs to mature in that aspect, he'll be a hell of a player for the Canucks.

I still maintain that Foligno will be the best Foligno to ever play the game, the progression of this kid the last 2 years has been incredible. He gets more confident every time he steps on the ice.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Beerfest*

Kassian looked very good tonight. I didnt watch him in the AHL last year, so I cant really make a comparison with his play last year.

On the topic of Foligno, im a big fan, he looked great in the NHL last year and seems to have gotten off to a great start this year in the AHL.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Even when he was in Windsor, the common refrain was that he had to keep his feet moving.
He did look a bit better last year in Rochester and really started producing, but he's looked much better in the three games I've watched with Chicago so far (the last three, two vs. Abbotsford and one against Peoria) than he did with Buffalo or Rochester last season IMO.
Yeah, apparently he was really excited to be on the Canucks, and had a very good offseason in terms of training and getting in shape. I believe he also took up martial arts. His work ethic with us so far has been admirable.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Yup, he's a player.

Baertschi, Horak, Brodie playing very well for the Heat, as expected. All three would get a shot with the Flames if the lockout ended today.
While Horak never really looked out of place in the NHL last year, he didnt have much of an offensive game, he struggled in his time in the AHL also.

Its great to see him get off a to a consistant start this year. While im not solid on his top 6 potential, I think he can be a solid 20-20 type player.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:52 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
Kassian looked very good tonight. I didnt watch him in the AHL last year, so I cant really make a comparison with his play last year.

On the topic of Foligno, im a big fan, he looked great in the NHL last year and seems to have gotten off to a great start this year in the AHL.
His progression has been crazy and I guess the Sabres evaluation of him was correct when they deemed Kassian expendable to fill another need (offensive center).
After an adjustment period last year he really took off for Rochester, but he has just been great since getting called up for the first time.
He's on another level that I don't think anyone could have foreseen.
I think any Sabres fan would have bet a large amount against him ever leading any league in scoring after a decent period of time (five games played is a lot different than having a big first game or something).

Honestly, until his final year of junior, I really didn't see anything more in him than a fourth liner that had the benefit of being drafted by an organization he had major ties to.
His skating was fairly poor and he seemingly had little offensive talent, but the work ethic and willingness to compete was always there.
I don't know what clicked, but he's been a late bloomer since his 2010-11 season where, regardless of his somewhat average statline, he was very good as he played his way onto the Canadian WJC team and broke out offensively (I believe he led the OHL in shorthanded points).
Even after that progression though, I still pegged him as a third liner with a bit of offensive skill.

His skating has improved dramatically though and he's really shown an ability to score, whether it's through hustle or skill.
He's underrated offensively, I think, even after scoring at an unsustainable PPG pace in the NHL.
His wrister has a lot of velocity on it and the release is pretty quick and his puck skills, while not exceptional, have developed from below average to something much better seemingly overnight.
I really think he can be a scoring line player in a secondary role now (as in the least skilled player on a skilled line, he's had success with Ennis and Stafford in the NHL and now Hodgson in the AHL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yeah, apparently he was really excited to be on the Canucks, and had a very good offseason in terms of training and getting in shape. I believe he also took up martial arts. His work ethic with us so far has been admirable.
They said he dropped 15 pounds, which I think he needed to do.
Shift-to-shift he varied wildly sometimes and I blamed it on conditioning, so it's nice to see him really address his weaknesses.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:53 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

A few comments from the Aeros-Stars home and home this weekend

Cody Eakin - He's a good skater with high end hockey sense and some impressive goal scoring instincts. He needs to be in the NHL though. There's nothing for him to gain in the minors.
Tomas Vincour - Pretty much the exact same thing as I said about Eakin can be said about him, except for the goal scoring instincts. The Vincour-Eakin-Smith line was the only Stars line that could generate any kind of offense. Even the Brodin-Scandella pairing had trouble defending these three, but that's expected for two players (Eakin and Vincour) who are already established NHLers.
Reilly Smith - He's fast and protects the puck along the boards very well. All he needs to be NHL ready is strength. His mental game is already exactly where it needs to be, but that's not to say it can't get better. His wristshot is hard but he takes too long to release it, and he's pensive about shooting through traffic. If he can improve those things he has 30 goal top 6 potential. If not, he's still a threat to beat a goalie from the top of the faceoff circles from time to time as a utility forward.
Alex Chiasson - He's one of those "no toolbox" guys. He's huge, strong, shoots well, skates well, and can absolutely dominate guys physically, but for whatever reason he just doesn't dominate play the way I'd expect him to. When he puts it together for a shift, his effect on the play is huge, but he just doesn't seem to do it that often. He has NHL top line tools, but he learn how to best utilize his talents in the AHL first before he deserves an NHL shot. I would expect him to spend two, maybe three years in the AHL but he could be a household name before his career is over.
Jamie Oleksiak - He skates badly but he's a giant so I excuse him a bit. If he were 6'4" his skating would be considered "average." If he were 6'0" it would be abysmal. He's pulled out of position easily but lacks the agility to return to his post in time. However, his defensive stickwork is excellent. His size, strength, and reach give him some options to get around forecheckers as he's leading the rush, but he tends to pass it away as soon as he gets around someone. His slapshot is pretty hard but the vast majority of the time he just weakly wrists it on goal. Tyler Myers comparisons are very generous, Chara comparisons are foolish and downright laughable.
Patrik Nemeth - His best attribute, by far, is his athleticism. His acceleration is top notch for a 6'3" guy. No one is going to power their way through him. He was rushing the puck up ice, joining the play offensively, and generally contributing all over the ice. However, he was also responsible for a few mistakes which led directly to goals, including falling down accidentally on one play that resulted in a quick 2 on 1, and failing to get down in time time to block a shot. That's probably his biggest issue: he has trouble making defensive decisions quickly enough. If that doesn't improve, he's an AHL lifer. However, he's still adjusting to North American hockey so I have a lot of faith that his decision making will improve.
Brenden Dillon - He's big, mean, skates well, shoots to kill, and he's only 21. Stars fans had him penciled into the NHL lineup out of training camp and for good reason.
Jack Campbell - Horrible. His fundamentals are exceptional but he idolizes a goalie (Turco) with awful fundamentals and mimics his style by frequently flopping around trying to make saves look a lot harder than they really are, and all that really just throws his fundamentals out the window. The talent is impressive but he needs to be locked in a room for 6 months with his eyes taped open watching Henrik Lundqvist play. He also has a tendency to forget where the goal is behind him.
Cam Barker - Hahahaha... forget the NHL, he's too bad for the AHL. Easily the worst top 10 pick in a loooong time. Worse than Brule, Filatov, Brendl and most others that get mentioned in those "biggest bust" threads. Just hilariously bad.

Mikael Granlund - He has obvious top flight offensive skill and creativity, but he's prone to turning the puck over and getting passes picked off, which isn't unusual for a 20 year old playmaker. He deserves every bit of the hype he gets. Hopefully he spends the entire year in the AHL even if the NHL returns. Next year, he'll take the NHL by storm.
Charlie Coyle - He's very strong on his skates and on the puck. I have few complaints or mistakes to note, but he lacks flash. I know he has an excellent shot from watching him in college and in the WJC, but he didn't show it off in these two games. He's the most likely of his linemates to find a spot on an NHL roster in the immediate future, but he would benefit as well from some more AHL time.
Jason Zucker - I've always been a fan of his and that hasn't changed. He constantly buzzes around both zones. On defense, he hounds the puck carrier and uses his stick actively, on offense he's either creating havoc on the forecheck or getting open and keeping his stick on the ice. He's just a nuisance for opposing teams. He's NHL ready, but there's some untapped offensive potential there that might get brought out if he's given offensive responsibility in the AHL for a year or possibly two.
Johan Larsson - I really didn't see anything special from him. He really blended in at this level. I've seen him compared to Johan Franzen and unless he just wasn't himself these two games, I feel that anyone who makes that comparison has never seen Larsson play. Nonetheless, he's a useful depth prospect that should stick in the NHL for a few hundred games in his career as a utility forward.
Jonas Brodin - Comparing his style to Lidstrom's fits him perfectly. He seems to always make the simplest, but smartest, play with the puck, and I didn't see him get cleanly beaten on defense a single time. At 19 years old he's simply too good for the AHL.
Marco Scandella - He was just manhandling the Stars forwards all weekend. I don't see a whole lot of potential here, but at 22 he looks like a solid 5/6/7 NHL defenseman who can make a play offensively but shouldn't be relied upon to do so. He plays pretty much exactly like Brenden Dillon.
Matt Hackett - He allowed one goal on 27 shots yesterday. Texas didn't really test him. Everything about his game was sharp, from positioning, to rebound control, to reflexes. I don't know about his lateral movement but that's mainly because Texas never forced him to make a save while moving laterally... Really everything indicates he could be an NHL starter one day, though admittedly I couldn't get a very clear read on him.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:05 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
If Gardiner was just toying with the other guys, wouldn't he have more points? Not knocking on the guy, just wondering.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:11 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Loving these little scouting reports guys..Keep it up!

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:31 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

From tonights (and some of last nights) Heat Wolves game:

Heat:

Baertschi- Outstanding. His offensive abilities and creativity are off the charts. Hands, Shot, skating and even showed impressive strength (tossed Kassian like a rag doll). Elite in every sense of the word and I cannot wait for him to play in the NHL full-time. Besides Jake Gardiner he has been the best player I have watched in the AHL this season.

Horak- Impresses me every time I see him play. He is really a solid player. Goood hands, skating ability, and hockey sense. He really doesnt have any elite skills, but besides size he really doesnt have a lot of weaknesses in his game.

Reinhart- Works hard, and just knows the game of hockey. His hockey IQ will be responsible for a large part of his success. I dont think his offensive game will carry over to the NHL but he will be a solid 3rd line center.

Brodie- excellent skater with good offensive tendencies. Defensive game could use a bit of work but his skating helps him compensate for some of his deficiencies.

Akim aliu- If he had hands he'd be a top prospect. Big, physical, good speed and work ethic. Agitates and hurts, gotta enjoy his game.

Wolves:

Schroeder- exhibited good speed and hands. Really could have had a couple points tonight.

Zach Kassian- I wil hate him in a few years. Big, mean, physical, with decent hands and a killer shot. Was the most noticeable player for the wolves in both games I watched.

Eddie Lack- For 5 periods he seemed like a wall. Very big and positionally sound. Very Giguere like.

Mallet- physical and he can really chuck 'em for a guy his age.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think since being drafted his skating has improved from year to year honestly. Before any apparent "character flaws" the biggest knock on Kassian was always his skating. It's something Ruff and the coaching staff wanted him to work on since his first prospect camp and it's something he not only fixed but became above average at.

It's pretty funny that when the bar fight happened nobody in Buffalo cared about it but after being traded people were quick to say how the writing was on the wall and that he wasn't a dedicated player. I'd say so far he's done nothing but show he is or at least can be. Obviously the guy is a little ****ed up in the head but he hasn't shown any reason to question his work ethic at least off the ice. He can be quite lazy after long stretches of great play but that's a maturity thing.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote