HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Moving to Montreal (urgent less then a month)

Old
10-20-2012, 06:37 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 500
Moving to Montreal (urgent less then a month)

Ok I need help please and sorry for creating a new ot thread but it's really urgent.

Lived in Gatineau since i'm born. Girlfriend got a job in downtown montreal (square victoria). I could get a transfer to a service canada office in boucherville. We just got our first permanent job so we have to rent an appartement for another year.

Where should I look. I want to use the metro/train to go to work. Should I go to Laval? Boucherville? Don't want to stay inside the big city... I want to be close to a metro station of course. I have a car but I don't really use it. I would like a sector/city with a lot a grocery/store. Quality apartment but nothing to fancy (price range: 700-800 a month)

Please help me and thank you in advance.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:46 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Ok I need help please and sorry for creating a new ot thread but it's really urgent.

Lived in Gatineau since i'm born. Girlfriend got a job in downtown montreal (square victoria). I could get a transfer to a service canada office in boucherville. We just got our first permanent job so we have to rent an appartement for another year.

Where should I look. I want to use the metro/train to go to work. Should I go to Laval? Boucherville? Don't want to stay inside the big city... I want to be close to a metro station of course. I have a car but I don't really use it. I would like a sector/city with a lot a grocery/store. Quality apartment but nothing to fancy (price range: 700-800 a month)

Please help me and thank you in advance.
Well, check for longueuil, your gf will be able to take the bus/subway to get to Montreal and boucherville should be 15 min away in car for you to get to your job. Don't go on the north shore(laval) if you work in Boucherville...

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Laval is a terrible place to live if you plan on driving at all... The traffic there is always insane.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Laval is a terrible place to live if you plan on driving at all... The traffic there is always insane.
Traffic is insane everywhere these days

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:44 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Well, check for longueuil, your gf will be able to take the bus/subway to get to Montreal and boucherville should be 15 min away in car for you to get to your job. Don't go on the north shore(laval) if you work in Boucherville...
I concur. Look for the South Shore.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Yep, come here. There are a lot of apartments near the Longueuil Metro and there are 2 grocery stores in that area. Taschereau boulevard is also close.

Although there's no metro or train station to Boucherville. But I am sure there's a bus that would get you in that area of where that office would be.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Boomsticks

I don't believe that there are any commuter trains that go to Boucherville so you would probably be stuck driving there. As others have said, look at Longueuil, specifically Vieux-Longueuil. I just moved here with my girlfriend, we are renting an apartment for 690/mo. Great location - you're near Rue Saint-Charles and Rue Saint-Laurent (not The Main) which are kind of plateau-y without paying the plateau price.

Another option would be Brossard near the Panama or Chevrier bus terminus. Both have buses that go directly to Bonaventure metro station downtown (the 45 from Panama and the 90 from Chevrier) so it would work great for your girlfriend, but would be a bit of a hassle for you as it would probably add 15-30 minutes of driving time to get to Boucherville depending on traffic.

Boomsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I concur. Look for the South Shore.
It is hard to find work in Montreal? I have no skill I usually work in factories. I speak no french just english. I am 50. I have bit in bank so only need to make $500 a week or so to get by easily.

I've been thinking on selling my house and living in Montreal for next 5-10 years. Just to experience the life style and take most every Hab game. While I still have my health

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If you plan on moving to Laval make sure it's in the East and you can easily take the new bridge (25)and get there pretty fast but it's a paying bridge. You would be better off in the South Shore though

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:41 AM
ClasslessGuy

Thank you all for the answers. Longueuil looks like the best fit so far.

Futur-new employer gave usuntil monday to accept the offer... might have to ask for more time because the job is starting nov 12th.

Doing the pros and cons of the life near montreal right now... I always wanted to move over there and we are almost ready to start a family (a year maybe). Youth football is the best in montreal area

Old
10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Galchenyuk94

Definitely Longueuil. Perfect compromise for you and your girl.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:24 AM
ChoseLa

There is parts of the Island that are suburbs and you don't get the trafficjam.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Brossard on the south shore. Best place to live.

Prust Y U MAD Bruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:38 PM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yep, come here. There are a lot of apartments near the Longueuil Metro and there are 2 grocery stores in that area. Taschereau boulevard is also close.

Although there's no metro or train station to Boucherville. But I am sure there's a bus that would get you in that area of where that office would be.
Longueuil is a very nice place, especially near the Metro-Longueuil like this poster said. The rents are not too bad and you get the added benefit of living near the subway station and also the bus terminal.

You might even meet Jean Beliveau who lives in the appartments there, and me who works part-time in one of the grocery stores!

FrankFountain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Yah, south of montreal is ideal. Go where a metrobus would pass so your GF can go downtown and you'll be driving distance(with less traffic) or bus distance from your workplace. South isn't so bad either, depending where you are there's DIX30 around and habs sports complex is around as well.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:04 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
There is parts of the Island that are suburbs and you don't get the trafficjam.
Sure, but he also wants something nice and in the 700-800 range + room to expand his family.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:09 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

What about Eastern Rosemont (west of the Parc Maisonneuve?). While you would be in Montreal, it's a very residential area, but also close to commercial areas on Sherbrooke street.

You would never get stuck in the traffic. You're only a few minutes away from Boucherville by taking the Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine tunnel and you'll never get stuck in traffic jams since you'll go to the South shore when everybody crosses into Montreal.

Your girlfriend can easily take the metro (green line) or bus to Square Victoria.

Rent is not that expensive in that area, especially if you compare with old Longueuil. Best of 2 worlds!

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 10-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
What about Eastern Rosemont (west of the Parc Maisonneuve?). While you would be in Montreal, it's a very residential area, but also close to commercial areas on Sherbrooke street.

You would never get stuck in the traffic. You're only a few minutes away from Boucherville by taking the Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine tunnel and you'll never get stuck in traffic jams since you'll go to the South shore when everybody crosses into Montreal.

You're girlfriend can easily take the metro (green line) or bus to Square Victoria.

Rent is not that expensive in that area, especially if you compare with old Longueuil. Best of 2 worlds!
I take the 25 every time I go to school and go out the centre ville exit. Everytime I pass I'm glad I'm not in the other 2 lanes going into that tunnel.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:19 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Just realized you'll be in the same office as my mother. Say hi for me, won't you?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:37 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Just realized you'll be in the same office as my mother. Say hi for me, won't you?
haha me or my gf? She will work at square victoria. I would work at a service canada office in boucherville.

I would like to find a place where I could buy a house close after a year. Is Longueuil a nice place price/quality?

Thank you guys for everything. I'll have to find an apartment in less than 3 weeks...

Old
10-21-2012, 09:14 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I take the 25 every time I go to school and go out the centre ville exit. Everytime I pass I'm glad I'm not in the other 2 lanes going into that tunnel.
I concur. It's a pain on the 25 both sides, morning and night. Tunnel is a mess and plus, it will be partly closed - i think in 2013-2014- for maintenance. ( bigger mess to foresee...)

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I lived in Longueuil a few different times, each time in a different neighborhood. Some are a lot better than others, so your experience and opinion of the city can change pretty drastically depending. It'll be pricier, but you'll wanna set up somewhere near the old part of town up until about Edouard Montpetit Cegep. I rented a 2 bedroom apt. 2 blocks away from the school for $700 that was great, but that was 5 or so years ago so I have no idea what price they are now. It was about 5 minutes to the metro, and also very close to the 132 that's your best way to Boucherville. If you can be IN the "Vieux Longueuil" that's even better, but will be trickier to get as nice apts there are coveted and kept. Same with the old Boucherville, along the water... also a very nice place. A friend of mine actually owns a duplex there and rents out the 2 two-bedrooms. so I could check his price and possible availability but again, apts there are coveted and kept usually... also may be a bit over budget. I think he's at $900 now or something. It's a bit more of a hassle for your gf to be in Boucherville though, if she's commuting via bus/metro. Will be less of a hassle for you to drive to Bouch than for her to commute out of it.

To buy a house in the future Longueuil can be pricey, but is still possible. Boucherville will be pricey as well. Chambly is a great town, though further of a commute, that's really been picking up in the last few years. Starting to rise in price now, but still worth it. It's where we bought this Summer actually. I absolutely love living here. Not super convenient for someone working in the city, and Boucherville is about 30 minutes out, with no traffic. You could also consider going further up the 132 past Boucherville into Varennes, another town that's on the rise and still worth buying into.

Overall you'll mostly need to get a feel for the place to figure out what you like and what's acceptable to you for the commute. Different towns here have very different vibes. There's something for everyone, but only you'll know what that is =) Let me know if you need anything else... I'm very familiar with everything south shore, and some Montreal too as I've lived there as well.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

Everything will be confirmed tomorrow morning.

Funny thing is: apartments are cheaper in Longueuil than in Gatineau... I'm paying 690$ nothing included for a 1 br, 700 scare feet apartment at the moment...

We're trying to push the starting date a little further (12 nov to at least past 20 nov). We have to find a place + move our stuff from Gatineau to Longueuil + rent our place here in less than a month. Anyway it will be an interesting month!

Old
10-22-2012, 01:31 AM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Except near Pie-IX... Luckily, I live in that area so I don't have to deal with intense traffic.

Longueuil would be a good middle. If not, old Boucherville or near Montarville. Most buses pass by Montarville.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:32 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Except near Pie-IX... Luckily, I live in that area so I don't have to deal with intense traffic.
Wait until they completely shut down the Henri-Bourassa overpass. Should be soon, the detours are almost completely built.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote