HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu, son of Jacques Beaulieu?

Old
10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Slick Eller

vCash: 500
Nathan Beaulieu, son of Jacques Beaulieu?

I just figured it out (yet I'm may be late) that the Sarnia Sting head coach, Jacques Beaulieu is the dad of our offensive dman prospect, Nathan Beaulieu.

I tried to find some information on Jacques Beaulieu, don't know if its reliable or not, it says he's from Strathroy, ON.

Anyone here know if he speaks french ? I ain't really into that french thing for players, I was just curious. I don't know any non-french speaking person named Jacques.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
I just figured it out (yet I'm may be late) that the Sarnia Sting head coach, Jacques Beaulieu is the dad of our offensive dman prospect, Nathan Beaulieu.

I tried to find some information on Jacques Beaulieu, don't know if its reliable or not, it says he's from Strathroy, ON.

Anyone here know if he speaks french ? I ain't really into that french thing for players, I was just curious. I don't know any non-french speaking person named Jacques.
Jacques speaks french, Nathan dont.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:51 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post

Yes, Jacques Beaulieu is a francophone, but he married an anglo and moved to southern Ontario where Beaulieu grew up. This is why Beaulieu doesn't speak french. French was neither spoken in the household, nor the playground.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yes, Jacques Beaulieu is a francophone, but he married an anglo and moved to southern Ontario where Beaulieu grew up. This is why Beaulieu doesn't speak french. French was neither spoken in the household, nor the playground.
Which is what happening to many French speakers moving out of Quebec, sadly.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:01 AM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

I got the perfect guy to answer your question

0:38 to 1:30

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Yeah, the only way couples can communicate is through a common language. In this neck of the woods, it's almost invariably english. If the anglo can speak French, the franco can probably speak better English than the anglo French.

The girlfriend is lithuanian, and her dad has a vicious russian accent simply because his parents could only communicate in Russian, his father being Lithuanian, and his mother, Ukrainian.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Yeah, the only way couples can communicate is through a common language. In this neck of the woods, it's almost invariably english. If the anglo can speak French, the franco can probably speak better English than the anglo French.

The girlfriend is lithuanian, and her dad has a vicious russian accent simply because his parents could only communicate in Russian, his father being Lithuanian, and his mother, Ukrainian.
Russified area.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:31 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
It must be really hard to keep up with it surrounded by only anglos. French is my mother tongue, but I lost quite a bit of it growing up with only the anglo side of my family. Gaining it back now, but I really wish the french education here was better. I can only imagine how bad it is in Ontario.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:48 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I also find myself in a linguistic situation that could become complicated. I date a girl from Thailand (where I spent many months recently) and our common language is English. I started learning Thai while I was there. I think it's a matter of respect, when you're in a foreign language country, to try to integrate yourself as much as possible.

But we're starting to talk about her moving here. I make it clear already that it would be best for her, in that case, to start to learn French. If one day, we have kids together, I hope they can grow in a trilingual environment and speak French, English and Thai. Of course, the biggest challenge for them would be to speak Thai, since it's a foreign language here. So it's understandable to see names like Beaulieu and Geoffrion not being able to speak French after only one generation, because they live in places where French is a foreign language. It's sad, but it's what's assimilation is.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It must be really hard to keep up with it surrounded by only anglos. French is my mother tongue, but I lost quite a bit of it growing up with only the anglo side of my family. Gaining it back now, but I really wish the french education here was better. I can only imagine how bad it is in Ontario.
Well your high school wasn't bad for french. Not mother tongue but it was pretty good no?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:52 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I also find myself in a linguistic situation that could become complicated. I date a girl from Thailand (where I spent many months recently) and our common language is English. I started learning Thai while I was there. I think it's a matter of respect, when you're in a foreign language country, to try to integrate yourself as much as possible.

But we're starting to talk about her moving here. I make it clear already that it would be best for her, in that case, to start to learn French. If one day, we have kids together, I hope they can grow in a trilingual environment and speak French, English and Thai. Of course, the biggest challenge for them would be to speak Thai, since it's a foreign language here. So it's understandable to see names like Beaulieu and Geoffrion not being able to speak French after only one generation, because they live in places where French is a foreign language. It's sad, but it's what's assimilation is.
Parents are italian, I can understand it, can barely speak it. My french and english are fine though. If you want your kid to hold onto Thai try and speak it to him/her at a young age. Learning a language at a young age and you'll probably retain a basic forever.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:18 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well your high school wasn't bad for french. Not mother tongue but it was pretty good no?
I guess they were alright, compared to other english schools. Maybe I'm being too hard on my french, any anglo who hears me speak doesn't notice a thing. But people who have spoken french all their lives can see the small hiccups. Currently helping my girlfriend learn her french from basically nothing. Damn south shore anglo schools.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I guess they were alright, compared to other english schools. Maybe I'm being too hard on my french, any anglo who hears me speak doesn't notice a thing. But people who have spoken french all their lives can see the small hiccups. Currently helping my girlfriend learn her french from basically nothing. Damn south shore anglo schools.
Having went to same school as you then going to another. I can assure you, the one you went to had good standards relative to other english schools and even then the english schools weren't that bad. In sec 4 I had a teacher who essentially wanted nothing to do with anything and in sec 5 my teacher was pretty much like my old school.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Don't understand the doom and gloom brother. I would never settle with someone that wouldn't be open to speaking the language my parents taught me, and the language I want my children to learn. Same goes the other way, I would make an effort to learn her language and teach it to the kids. I don't see why this is such a big demand. And if it is, maybe she's not the right one, or maybe you accept her choice and live happily ever after. But in both situation, it's still your choice and I wouldn't call that assimilation.

And you're talking to the guy who can speak and understand the following languages: Bengali, Hindi, English, French, Spanish and Italian.

Next languages I'm trying to learn is German and Mandarin.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:18 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Don't understand the doom and gloom brother. I would never settle with someone that wouldn't be open to speaking the language my parents taught me, and the language I want my children to learn. Same goes the other way, I would make an effort to learn her language and teach it to the kids. I don't see why this is such a big demand. And if it is, maybe she's not the right one, or maybe you accept her choice and live happily ever after. But in both situation, it's still your choice and I wouldn't call that assimilation.

And you're talking to the guy who can speak and understand the following languages: Bengali, Hindi, English, French, Spanish and Italian.

Next languages I'm trying to learn is German and Mandarin.
I'd be curious to hear you speak italian.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I'd be curious to hear you speak italian.
Sto per farti un'offerta che non può rifiutare.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Sto per farti un'offerta che non può rifiutare.
Did you use google translate?

Old
10-21-2012, 02:36 AM
GoHomez

I've got a friend with a french mother and italian father, growing up Sweden. He spoke french to his mother, italian to his father and swedish among his friends and in school, cursed in french though..
At home they use some mix of english, french, italian and some swedish were someone could say something in one language and someone responded in another.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:38 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Did you use google translate?
Lol, SNAP.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I've got a friend with a french mother and italian father, growing up Sweden. He spoke french to his mother, italian to his father and swedish among his friends and in school, cursed in french though..
At home they use some mix of english, french, italian and some swedish were someone could say something in one language and someone responded in another.
Not surprising. A lot of people in montreal start convos in one language and finish in the other. There's francophones who come to my english university and we start and end sentences flopping between the two languages. I don't mind at all and no one really cares because they are fluent enough to follow.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:08 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
You have too, the cursed word in french sounds great

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:42 AM
hey

Quote:
Back in days when I was in school (I older than most posters here) we started learning French in grade 3 for 1 hour a week. Your not going to learn French that way. When I went to high school we had French once a day but we basically conjugated the same verbs from grade 7 to 11. Our French teachers often spoked English to us. Living in Quebec, that is definetly not enough French exposure to properly intergrate and function. In CEGEP i tried to take french couses but they were always full. Studing engineering i did not have the option to take french courses in university. It's always harder to go from an easier language to a more complex language such as French. All though I can function in French, I'm still pissed off that I did not have more French exposure growing up. The system really failed me. Luckily my kids are learning French from an early age

hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:07 AM
JAVO16

Quote:

How is it vicious ?

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I was born in Ontario, to an Irish mother and a Francophone father (originally from Rivère-du-Loup)

They only spoke to me in French growing up, because they always said "Le Français s'apprend, tandis que l'Anglais s'attrape"

All 4 of us grew up speaking mostly French, and we are at this point quite bilingual.

p.s. There's about 600,000 of us in Ontario that are Francophone. In my area of Ottawa, almost everyone speaks French.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I was born in Ontario, to an Irish mother and a Francophone father (originally from Rivère-du-Loup)

They only spoke to me in French growing up, because they always said "Le Français s'apprend, tandis que l'Anglais s'attrape"

All 4 of us grew up speaking mostly French, and we are at this point quite bilingual.

p.s. There's about 600,000 of us in Ontario that are Francophone. In my area of Ottawa, almost everyone speaks French.
People trying to avoid the high taxes we pay in Quebec, would explain what you just mentioned.

Being an Anglophone, I was raised in english and learned my french while playing hockey. Living in a relatively french area, I had to learn french to communicate with my teammates/coaches.

P.S That saying is very true.

HabsPassion is offline   Reply With Quote