HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thar she blows! Admirals vs Whale (Part Deux)

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
I'm wondering with all of our depth that he's been put in a role he doesn't feel comfortable with. What line is he playing on?
He has bounced around the line-up the last few games. He hasn't looked comfortable on any of them once the regular season started. He's getting opportunities, but it might be a while till we see him in Anaheim.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:41 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Congrats to Wagner and Vatanen on their first goals It's not crazy to think Wagner could make the ducks when NHL play resumes?

Old
10-21-2012, 02:10 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Nope. Wagner isn't ready. Only guys that can survive in the league at this point are Holland, Palmieri, and Vatanen.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckjet View Post
nope. Wagner isn't ready. Only guys that can survive in the league at this point are holland, palmieri, and vatanen.
dsp?

Old
10-21-2012, 02:33 AM
heksagon

No highlights yet?

Seems like Vatanen is producing early, nice to see. And it's funny how the Admirals are a whole different team than last year but they still look good enough to go for a repeat.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
No highlights yet?

Seems like Vatanen is producing early, nice to see. And it's funny how the Admirals are a whole different team than last year but they still look good enough to go for a repeat.
It's kind of a perfect storm of opportunity for Norfolk. Anaheim had a number of prospects approaching NHL-readiness, on top of Lindholm and Vatanen being available for a good look. With the lockout, and the prospect depth, it should be a pretty good team.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:43 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Nope. Wagner isn't ready. Only guys that can survive in the league at this point are Holland, Palmieri, and Vatanen.
Add DSP and I agree. The rest of them all need at least another year to be NHL players

Old
10-21-2012, 02:51 AM
JabbaJabba

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6065 Highlights can be found there.

Great to see the team looking good, still need Etem to start scoring.

edit: Just scroll down the video console for Norfolk's game.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:54 AM
heksagon

I was just about to post that link, but I'm too slow.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:57 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6065 Highlights can be found there.

Great to see the team looking good, still need Etem to start scoring.

edit: Just scroll down the video console for Norfolk's game.
The announcer of the game referred to Vatanen as the 'Finnish Flash'.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Congrats to Wagner and Vatanen on their first goals It's not crazy to think Wagner could make the ducks when NHL play resumes?
For me honestly, the only two guys I see as NHL ready are Palmieri and Maroon. I want more from DSP and Holland overall. Vatanen offensively is amazing, I just want to give him more time in the defensive zone before I pencil him in.

I know it won't be a popular stance, but I don't see a point to put anyone else in the NHL at this point.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:34 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
The announcer of the game referred to Vatanen as the 'Finnish Flash'.
LOL you are correct. The image is cutting out then.. probably he was just joking or something.

Anyway, vatanen for NHL as soon as it is possible. Hes not just ordinarry D prospect, you want to him have a chance at early break thru.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
For me honestly, the only two guys I see as NHL ready are Palmieri and Maroon. I want more from DSP and Holland overall. Vatanen offensively is amazing, I just want to give him more time in the defensive zone before I pencil him in.

I know it won't be a popular stance, but I don't see a point to put anyone else in the NHL at this point.
Why Maroon? I mean, he looks much better this year, but DSP is contributing a hell of a lot more each game than Maroon is, same for Holland. I'm sure that Maroon will get another look or two, but I'd put McMillan over him at this point in the season.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:48 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Looked like Clark didn't have the best of games.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Why Maroon? I mean, he looks much better this year, but DSP is contributing a hell of a lot more each game than Maroon is, same for Holland. I'm sure that Maroon will get another look or two, but I'd put McMillan over him at this point in the season.
For me Maroon has nothing more to really prove in the AHL(same goes for Palmieri). Now I'm not saying he is slotted to be a top 6 player. But with his size and hands, he certainly has a place somewhere in the NHL. IMO he deserves that for than a 2 game shot at the NHL.

For that exact reason is why I don't think DSP needs to be playing at the NHL level. I said it before last season. He was making the Ducks no matter how great or poorly he performed. Which I think is the wrong way to develop him, especially with his size, skill and potential. He needs time to learn how to use his body and skill to his advantage where he can have some success. I don't want DSP to become merely a grinder, I want him to become a solid two way tough player. To me, he is best served doing that at the AHL level. Certainly the Ducks could sign a guy who can pot 20 or so points which is about what DSP would have had in a full season.

Add to the fact that the Ducks were awful last season and I just see no need to rush him. But I will admit I am in general a guy who hates throwing players in the NHL out of juniors/college. I hated what they did with Fowler(I was wrong). I hated what they did with DSP(jury is still out) and I'll hate it when/if we have a season and they slot Vatanen into the NHL. It's just how I am, I feel like these players should prove in the AHL they can dominate before they come to the NHL.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Exit Dose

Dominating the AHL doesn't mean that you're ready for the NHL. Our scouts are looking for guys who have developed an NHL game, and scoring a lot doesn't prove that a player has done that.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

True story. Putting up points in the AHL can be less important than the type of game. Unless they are an offensive phenom, there needs to be more to their game than just points. You want to be able to trust them to contribute to a win, even when they aren't producing.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:55 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
dsp?
Lol he's so NHL ready I thought it went without saying.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Ducksforcup

The start is def. encouraging.

Bodie looks awesome...he might be deserving of a second look at some point.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

DSP last year was inconsistent from game to game and even shift to shift, and wasn't always up to thinking at the speed of the game - there were a number of occasions late in the year where he was stripped of the puck in the defensive zone because he held it far too long. He clearly wasn't/isn't done growing into his frame. He wouldn't have played last year on any contending team.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
DSP last year was inconsistent from game to game and even shift to shift, and wasn't always up to thinking at the speed of the game - there were a number of occasions late in the year where he was stripped of the puck in the defensive zone because he held it far too long. He clearly wasn't/isn't done growing into his frame. He wouldn't have played last year on any contending team.
I agree. I thought DSP had some great moments but was still very raw and inexperienced out there. Which is why I don't understand why a lot of people have him penciled in to play with Getzlaf and Perry this season.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
As it was, he was borderline in Anaheim.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Carelton CA

It's not only if the player is "NHL" ready, it's the position in the line up the Ducks are looking for. They had already given Etem a spot on the Ducks by sending him to the rookie showcase. He has looked lost in the AHL is not ready to play there.

Palmieri is but is his defensive game good enough? Holland I would ask the same thing with regards to the D zone on the top two lines. DSP is ready at both ends of the ice, he'll go back quick. He has crazy strength, not a great game last night but he is responsible and steady. To say Wagner isn't 4th line center NHL ready may not be right. Great on face offs and obviously plays all three zones and has NHL skating ability and kills penalties. Plug him into the 4th line center roll and he'll be fine with 4th line minutes. Bodie also deserves a shot with the effort he's given in Norfolk. Did you see the video from last night, that line was flying all night. According to Coach Yawney has been the difference, heck he started them last night and look how they responded.

Sami can play in the NHL now and put up points. He is playing the game at a different speed than everyone else. He should be on the PP in Anaheim as soon as the lockout ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eK-WHGa32UA

Old
10-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
It's not only if the player is "NHL" ready, it's the position in the line up the Ducks are looking for. They had already given Etem a spot on the Ducks by sending him to the rookie showcase. He has looked lost in the AHL is not ready to play there.

Palmieri is but is his defensive game good enough? Holland I would ask the same thing with regards to the D zone on the top two lines. DSP is ready at both ends of the ice, he'll go back quick. He has crazy strength, not a great game last night but he is responsible and steady. To say Wagner isn't 4th line center NHL ready may not be right. Great on face offs and obviously plays all three zones and has NHL skating ability and kills penalties. Plug him into the 4th line center roll and he'll be fine with 4th line minutes. Bodie also deserves a shot with the effort he's given in Norfolk. Did you see the video from last night, that line was flying all night. According to Coach Yawney has been the difference, heck he started them last night and look how they responded.

Sami can play in the NHL now and put up points. He is playing the game at a different speed than everyone else. He should be on the PP in Anaheim as soon as the lockout ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eK-WHGa32UA
What exactly does the bolded sentence mean?

As for Wagner, he may be ready for a 4th line role now but it would probably be best for his long term development to get heavier minutes and be used in offensive situations than it would for him to come in and play 7-11 minutes a night in the NHL.

Vatanen may or may not be ready for the NHL right now but there's no rush. He'll get plenty of opportunities this season (if we get a season) when injuries occur.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Dominating the AHL doesn't mean that you're ready for the NHL. Our scouts are looking for guys who have developed an NHL game, and scoring a lot doesn't prove that a player has done that.
Totally agree, I should have made that more clear. I guess I just assumed you would realize I didn't mean points=NHL ready. Otherwise smallish forwards would always make the transition to the NHL.

But it doesn't change the fact I believe DSP is better served playing in the AHL than being given an NHL job automatically.

Closed Thread