HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
  #751
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus
 
NJDevilsZG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Well cca 80% of all NHL games I've watched so far in all those years were Devils games anyway.

NJDevilsZG is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 05:01 PM
  #752
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Ya, let's not lie to ourselves. We'll all be back. We won't be pleased with the NHL brass, but we'll be back for the Devils at least.

Some Toronto fans had an interesting idea. They will only watch Maple Leafs games after the league is back, essentially becoming Leafs fans instead of NHL fans. I don't think I would do that, but it's an interesting distinction to make.
I more or less do that anyway, well it depends on your definition of 'watching' a game. A few minutes here, a few minutes there of whatever's on but I don't really make it a point to watch other teams' whole games per se except maybe the Winter Classic, which I boycotted last year for obvious reasons (though I still watched the 24/7 show).

If it's a playoff game I'll make it a point watch the last few minutes of the 3rd/OT but I can't really get into non-Devil NHL games enough to watch start to finish. I do like hockey don't get me wrong, but actually watching it for two and a half or more hours requires an emotional investment I don't have in those teams.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 05:02 PM
  #753
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
From TSN

Quote:
Alex Ovechkin, who has not been shy about expressing his opinions during the lockout, has spoken out again about the current labour situation.

Speaking to reporters after a Kontinental Hockey League game in Moscow on Saturday, Ovechkin weighed in on the offers that the National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association exchanged this week to try to find a deal to end the lockout.

"The NHL gave fans and media hope. But in reality it is a deception," said Ovechkin. "The league is trying to show that it is working to try and save the season, but they are not offering anything new. It's all the same.

"Owners and players are at war," Ovechkin continued. "Bettman is under heavy pressure and trying to protect himself from criticism. Yes he made an offer and said it was good. But good for who, for Bettman?"

Ovechkin was among the first wave of players to sign KHL contracts when the NHL lockout began on Sept. 15. Playing for Dynamo Moscow, Ovechkin has tallied five goals and seven assists in 12 games this season.

Just over a week ago, the Capitals star said on a conference call with the Washington Times and the Washington Post that a reduction of NHL player salaries in a new deal could convince some Russian players to remain in the KHL even if a labour deal is reached.

"I said it before, before I sign a contract, if the league decides to cut our salaries and cut our contracts for what they want, I don't know how many guys will be coming back," Ovechkin said on the conference call.
Ovechkin complaining some more about revenue cuts. It's hard to take guys who make $20+ million a year seriously. Just keep your dumbass mouth shut.

Nick0930 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
  #754
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I more or less do that anyway, well it depends on your definition of 'watching' a game. A few minutes here, a few minutes there of whatever's on but I don't really make it a point to watch other teams' whole games per se except maybe the Winter Classic, which I boycotted last year for obvious reasons (though I still watched the 24/7 show).

If it's a playoff game I'll make it a point watch the last few minutes of the 3rd/OT but I can't really get into non-Devil NHL games enough to watch start to finish. I do like hockey don't get me wrong, but actually watching it for two and a half or more hours requires an emotional investment I don't have in those teams.
I watch every Devils game, and on off days I watch every Nets game. On days where neither team plays, I'll watch the Rangers. That pretty much covers every night of television for me. I'll throw on another hockey game if it's on and none of those teams are playing, especially the NBC and NBCSN games.

I just don't see the point of doing it really. How long is that possibly going to last for anyway? A week to prove a point and then go back to normal. The sport treats the fans like **** while we're forcefed to believe otherwise. Now we're kind of just being made aware of it.

Personally, when I go to a game, I'm paying for the entertainment. I'm not paying for the fan appreciation, although it would be nice. As long as the NHL continues to be the best hockey league in the world, I will continue to give them my money to watch. Nothing I can do about how they treat me. I love the sport to much to care really. Unlike a bad girlfriend or a bad restaurant, I can't go somewhere else to fill the void. It's whatever.


Last edited by apice3*: 10-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
  #755
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 500
I watch as many games as I can. I get the center ice package, and pretty much watch as many games as I can since I'm paying for them. Some nights buddy's come over, but I usually watch even when they don't. I have 3 tvs going at once too haha. Now when the Devils play I watch just that game and that game only unless it's an intermission.

I don't make it a point to sit in and watch hockey all night though. Just the Devils. If I have something better to do on a night the Devils aren't playing I go and do them. When the Devils are playing I pretty much have, and make nothing better to do. I do wanna get my money's worth though I guess. Streaming is to unreliable too. Good example is the Albany game right now for me. So I just buy the package.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:31 PM
  #756
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
How much is Center Ice out of curiosity?

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  #757
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,885
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
From TSN



Ovechkin complaining some more about revenue cuts. It's hard to take guys who make $20+ million a year seriously. Just keep your dumbass mouth shut.
NHLPA members bashing Bettman for NHL actions shows how little IQ this group has

Bettman is part of owners bloc but the hate he gets from players who seem to think every action is personel vendetta by him is absurd

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:35 PM
  #758
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
It's not entirely Bettman but he's the face of the group so he's going to take the brunt.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
  #759
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
How much is Center Ice out of curiosity?
Last year it was like $180 bucks I think for full season. Game center live on NHL.com was a little cheaper I think, but not by much. TV has always been more reliable to me than a computer so it works for me. Except in the case of heavy rain if you have satellite.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:02 PM
  #760
njdss4
Registered User
 
njdss4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Last year it was like $180 bucks I think for full season. Game center live on NHL.com was a little cheaper I think, but not by much. TV has always been more reliable to me than a computer so it works for me. Except in the case of heavy rain if you have satellite.
I've heard a lot of complaints from people who got Gamecenter Live who said that a huge chunk of the games were blacked out. For example, here where I am (Anaheim), I would have all Ducks, Kings, NBC, NBCSN, and NHLN games blacked out all year long. That is a LOT of games to miss out on. (Keep in mind that NBCSN and NHLN are channels you would have to pay a significant cable bill to have access to on top of paying for Gamecenter Live)

njdss4 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:39 PM
  #761
HeliDevil
Legendary
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 500
Center Ice is pretty cheap, I've never have any problems here in Phoenix from it. Directv is the way to go!

HeliDevil is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  #762
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
NBCSN and NHLN aren't that expensive. Both channels come with basic Fios. When I was in school, I could afford it on a broke college kid's salary of 0 dollars for 8 months a year.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  #763
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I watch as many games as I can. I get the center ice package, and pretty much watch as many games as I can since I'm paying for them. Some nights buddy's come over, but I usually watch even when they don't. I have 3 tvs going at once too haha. Now when the Devils play I watch just that game and that game only unless it's an intermission.

I don't make it a point to sit in and watch hockey all night though. Just the Devils. If I have something better to do on a night the Devils aren't playing I go and do them. When the Devils are playing I pretty much have, and make nothing better to do. I do wanna get my money's worth though I guess. Streaming is to unreliable too. Good example is the Albany game right now for me. So I just buy the package.
Excuse my ignoranc, but is there a package you can buy (on TV) that airs Albany games?

PADevil3034 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM
  #764
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Excuse my ignoranc, but is there a package you can buy (on TV) that airs Albany games?
Not that I know of.

TheUnseenHand is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:58 PM
  #765
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,398
vCash: 500
Let the players blame Bettman. If they are OK with their leader "not running the numbers" then of course the side that created (mostly) complete proposals surely is the root of the problem.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:59 PM
  #766
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Why didn't the AHL try to strike some kind of deal with the cable companies? I guess they're trying to avoid any friction with the NHL?

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
  #767
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Let the players blame Bettman. If they are OK with their leader "not running the numbers" then of course the side that created (mostly) complete proposals surely is the root of the problem.
IMO, both sides want a deal done ASAP but both sides want the next CBA to be based off their own proposal. That's why neither is really negotiating but rather just improving their own prior proposals.

apice3* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
  #768
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Why didn't the AHL try to strike some kind of deal with the cable companies? I guess they're trying to avoid any friction with the NHL?
They mostly play on the weekend, when the timeslots are already filled with college football.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 11:25 PM
  #769
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Excuse my ignoranc, but is there a package you can buy (on TV) that airs Albany games?
I don't think so. Just an online streaming package. I was just talking about the free online stream though. I was having some problems, and gave up.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:01 AM
  #770
Karus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kolozsvar
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Excuse my ignoranc, but is there a package you can buy (on TV) that airs Albany games?
I don't know about a TV package, but you can buy your team's home and away games for 150$ on this page:

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

Karus is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:21 AM
  #771
MadDevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bismarck, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karus View Post
I don't know about a TV package, but you can buy your team's home and away games for 150$ on this page:

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/
I've heard the video quality is garbage, but maybe they fixed it. Regardless, $150 just for just your team's home and away games? Seems a bit high to me.

MadDevil is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:43 AM
  #772
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 25,108
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Why didn't the AHL try to strike some kind of deal with the cable companies? I guess they're trying to avoid any friction with the NHL?
They have a deal with sportsnet in canada i doubt any tv companies here in the states were interested.

Scottyk9 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 05:53 AM
  #773
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus
 
NJDevilsZG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
IMO, both sides want a deal done ASAP but both sides want the next CBA to be based off their own proposal. That's why neither is really negotiating but rather just improving their own prior proposals.
Well I see players demans as rediculous at best. They expect owners to pay all team expences (equipment, travel, hotels, all trainers and complete staf, main arena, training ice, etc.) and get what is left (if anything) as their own profit. Do it all with less than 50% of total HRR. After the owners invested havily just to buy the team in first place. And of course they should pony up for all the loses that mediocre teams and their mostly mediocre players generate.
Reminds me of a goverment runned busineses that I know from my young days when I lived in socialism ;D

NJDevilsZG is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 06:02 AM
  #774
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus
 
NJDevilsZG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Last year it was like $180 bucks I think for full season. Game center live on NHL.com was a little cheaper I think, but not by much. TV has always been more reliable to me than a computer so it works for me. Except in the case of heavy rain if you have satellite.
I've had GameCenter live. It was 160$ a year. No blackouts for Europe. I usually watched via PS3, full HD, big TV. And you get full 4 season archive plus all highlights and plus few hundred clasic games. Excellent package imo.
Decided to switch to Vault package in future. All that minus live games for 5$ per month. My lockout protest decision. Plus it's getting harder and harder to stay up till 4AM anyway, so replays will be just enough for me.

NJDevilsZG is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 06:18 AM
  #775
Ilkka Pikachu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
I've had GameCenter live. It was 160$ a year. No blackouts for Europe. I usually watched via PS3, full HD, big TV. And you get full 4 season archive plus all highlights and plus few hundred clasic games. Excellent package imo.
Decided to switch to Vault package in future. All that minus live games for 5$ per month. My lockout protest decision. Plus it's getting harder and harder to stay up till 4AM anyway, so replays will be just enough for me.
Is it for xbox too? I might get in on this especially if there's a shortened season because the prices are definitely going down.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.