HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [2-1-0] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 11:32 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
That's not true, you're forgetting Palushaj, St-Denis & Desjardins...
And Leblanc.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
10-20-2012, 01:50 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Looking forward to watching the Dawgs on Sportsnet One tonight but have my Neulion pass backing it up in case.Great game by the All-Rookie Team last night.Toronto sure had the chances in the first two periods,mostly perimeter shots though.The Dawgs have been coached well heading into the season and it's imperative they get a few wins early if you ask me.Holland,Tinordi and Mayer all played very good along with a very good effort from everyone,but then I'm probably a little biased,let's make that very biased.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Christo182

I wanna see Desjardins between the pipes

Old
10-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo182 View Post
I wanna see Desjardins between the pipes
I'm sure you will, when he's not injured.

And the goalies were far from the problem. Without Mayer they wouldn't have won yesterday.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Nbhabfan

That was brutal, what was Beaulieu, like - 4 ?

Last edited by Nbhabfan: 10-21-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 06:23 AM
RC51

well I took a long look at beaulieu last night. I am very very happy he is in Hamilton.
Sure he skates very well backwards and forwards has a good shot and he is a big boy,but he has the same problem as many dmen that are just too young, they all think that they are bobby ore. Way too many rushes, way too many chances and getting caught up ice. You don't ever get caught in juniors because your fast. But in the NHL your going to get caught 9 times out of 10 and you coach will bench you fast. Until you learn to pick your spots at the NHL level you don't know **** yet. Beaulieu is sure a top prospect but he NEEDS lots of polish and lots of NHL coaching before he moves up to the habs. Tinordi plays a much more even game. He is almost NHL ready, maybe just 1 year at Hamilton or less. The boys did not play a bad game last night, but the puck sure bounced for the Marlies last night.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:13 AM
onice

I don't know what defensive system Sylvain Lefebvre uses but it's terrible. And it's not just last night. All three games I've watched Dogs he has them using it.

He has both D-men vacating the slot position to pinch in the corners or on the boards or behind the net. Now I know that's not an occasional brain fart. All 6 d-men were doing it on a regular basis in all three games.

And as part of this strategy he has all his players on the puck end of the ice. There were a number a times I saw all 5 skaters around the puck, win possession and have no one to pass it to.

And another aspect of this tactic, the wingers committed too low on any defensive play. They were constantly at the circle or below leaving the opposing d-men with clear shots to the net. This was very obvious on the PK.

I know Lefebvre was an excellent d-man in his time but I don't understand what he's trying to do. These were not mistakes committed by young players it looked like a system he's trying to put into place.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Yeah, Beaulieu will for sure need all of this season in the A and possibly next one.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:10 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't know what defensive system Sylvain Lefebvre uses but it's terrible. And it's not just last night. All three games I've watched Dogs he has them using it.
On paper, the Bulldogs are one of the worst teams in the league. Most dmen are rookies. They have a grand total of one legetimately good dman at this level in St-Denis. And the offense isn't much better either.

It will be a tough season for the Bulldogs and it's normal considering how young they are.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
On paper, the Bulldogs are one of the worst teams in the league. Most dmen are rookies. They have a grand total of one legetimately good dman at this level in St-Denis. And the offense isn't much better either.

It will be a tough season for the Bulldogs and it's normal considering how young they are.
On the flip side the Dogs might be one of the only AHL teams that's almost completely composed of actual prospects.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

Exactly, they're going to struggle mightily, and that's a great thing. Struggle as a team, learn as a team. Games like yesterday are to be expected, more often than not. And let's not forget that the Marlies have Keith Aucoin and Mike Zigomanis, 2 great AHL players, on top with some pretty good prospects, they're a top tier team this season, and we won friday, not bad...

Not too worried, let them learn.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

He has both D-men vacating the slot position to pinch in the corners or on the boards or behind the net. Now I know that's not an occasional brain fart. All 6 d-men were doing it on a regular basis in all three games.
Do you seriously think he'd have every d-man pincing in the corners and knowingly leaving the crease open? You think that's his strategy?

And all 6 d-man doing it ALL THE TIME....that's way too bold of a statement. But if he did happen often...do you consider the fact that 4 out of 6 are pure rookies. So that even the vets Nash and St-Denis are at least paired with 1 rookie so that when St-Denis moves behind the net.....maybe the rookie go to? But if Nash and St-Denis went behind the net while a guy was there....well that would be a mistake so even vets are allowed to make it. But I doubt it happened often. And even if it did, well we are talking about Nash here. A guy who still has his limitations and missed a whole lot of playing time so has to be somewhat rusty. So the only guy you could use to see if that's really a strategy is St-Denis who is a competent #7 NHL'er. So if he DID it often leaving the crease entirely unprotected...well then you might have a case. But I doubt you will.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 09:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
On the flip side the Dogs might be one of the only AHL teams that's almost completely composed of actual prospects.
So true! This year is an almost write off year for Hamilton, especially with all the NHL talent joining other teams due to the lockout. They should be coming along nicely towards the end of the year, and start getting good next season. Shouldn't lose too many guys to the Habs, maybe Leblanc. Will most likely be getting Galchenyuk.

Interesting times ahead! I haven't paid this close attention to the Dogs since Subban's first pro season.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Aurel Joliat

Is it me or Hagel didn't return after his fight ?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Is it me or Hagel didn't return after his fight ?
I think I saw him for a shift or two after the fight. From where I was sitting, it looked like he hit his head on the ice and he looked a little dazed when he was skating to the penalty box.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:28 AM
bud12

Hagel have 2 fights again the marlies this season and he got beat badly in bot of them. marlies are not a walk in the park for him lol

Old
10-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
'I watched the Dawgs game last night, for what it's worth I somehow missed when the Habs picked up Boyce. A character guy that I could see up with the Habs in the right situation.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
S Bah

After watching the Marlies playing their game plan to the letter,it's no wonder they were in the Final last year and lost by a goal.They have the offence to wreak havoc on opponents and once in the lead the size and ability to wear them out.Last night they made a point of beating the Bulldogs best players from the previous game.Acton's assault on Dumont at the end of his shift was at the very least convenient.Ryan's scrap with Geoffrion a player again not noted for his fighting abilities.Hagel and Fraser being the outstanding fight in that the size difference was 4" and 20 lbs. a sizable amount when talking athletes not named Tie Domi.Then of course the Leblanc VS Blacker affair where Leblanc was lucky enough to save his head but twisted his knee.Finally the Blunden/Komarov battle showed the Bulldogs frustration level by the end of the game.If the Bulldogs didn't know they were playing in the pros,they were rudely awakened by a Marlies team ready to embarrass them on national TV yesterday.Clearly they were beaten on the ice in the corners,against the boards and in the alleys so to speak.Martin Lapointe can explain this to them along with all of the coaches,as a player Martin knew the importance of sending a message and the message was welcome to the AHL this is what to expect every game you don't come to play.There truly wasn't much to take from the game positively, Gallagher,Quailer and Tinordi played alright and Bournival had flashes of good play.Go Bulldogs Go!It's going to be a long year but worth it in the end.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
After watching the Marlies playing their game plan to the letter,it's no wonder they were in the Final last year and lost by a goal.They have the offence to wreak havoc on opponents and once in the lead the size and ability to wear them out.Last night they made a point of beating the Bulldogs best players from the previous game.Acton's assault on Dumont at the end of his shift was at the very least convenient.Ryan's scrap with Geoffrion a player again not noted for his fighting abilities.Hagel and Fraser being the outstanding fight in that the size difference was 4" and 20 lbs. a sizable amount when talking athletes not named Tie Domi.Then of course the Leblanc VS Blacker affair where Leblanc was lucky enough to save his head but twisted his knee.Finally the Blunden/Komarov battle showed the Bulldogs frustration level by the end of the game.If the Bulldogs didn't know they were playing in the pros,they were rudely awakened by a Marlies team ready to embarrass them on national TV yesterday.Clearly they were beaten on the ice in the corners,against the boards and in the alleys so to speak.Martin Lapointe can explain this to them along with all of the coaches,as a player Martin knew the importance of sending a message and the message was welcome to the AHL this is what to expect every game you don't come to play.There truly wasn't much to take from the game positively, Gallagher,Quailer and Tinordi played alright and Bournival had flashes of good play.Go Bulldogs Go!It's going to be a long year but worth it in the end.
Schultz should be in to help the physical aspect in my book

Old
10-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

They are not bad on paper, it's just taht so much of the team is young so the first half of the year you have to expect a lot of highs and lows. Talent wise they are one of there, if not the, most talented in the league.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Schultz should be in to help the physical aspect in my book
The coaches want Schultz to play his way back into shape,he was playing regularly last year and a season in the ECHL will be better for his progress IMO.Having lots of time on ice in games is the best thing for his skating and checking game.I guess if Hamilton makes the playoffs,Schultz will be a callup for sure and hopefully Leveille as well.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:00 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They are not bad on paper, it's just taht so much of the team is young so the first half of the year you have to expect a lot of highs and lows. Talent wise they are one of there, if not the, most talented in the league.
they are talented but not that talented !

Old
10-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Compared to say Houston or OKC, not even close. The Dogs have plenty of talent, but even besides the inexperience they don't have many go to offensive players even at the AHL level.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
well I took a long look at beaulieu last night. I am very very happy he is in Hamilton.
Sure he skates very well backwards and forwards has a good shot and he is a big boy,but he has the same problem as many dmen that are just too young, they all think that they are bobby ore. Way too many rushes, way too many chances and getting caught up ice. You don't ever get caught in juniors because your fast. But in the NHL your going to get caught 9 times out of 10 and you coach will bench you fast. Until you learn to pick your spots at the NHL level you don't know **** yet. Beaulieu is sure a top prospect but he NEEDS lots of polish and lots of NHL coaching before he moves up to the habs. Tinordi plays a much more even game. He is almost NHL ready, maybe just 1 year at Hamilton or less. The boys did not play a bad game last night, but the puck sure bounced for the Marlies last night.
Rather have a confident kid who skates and rushes the puck, and makes mistakes, than a timid kid who passes off every time and creates no offense. He'll learn to pick his spots in 2 years, and the timid player will never make it. Rushing D are HUGELY important to offense, and the Habs need more of them, badly.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:29 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Do you seriously think he'd have every d-man pincing in the corners and knowingly leaving the crease open? You think that's his strategy?

And all 6 d-man doing it ALL THE TIME....that's way too bold of a statement. But if he did happen often...do you consider the fact that 4 out of 6 are pure rookies. So that even the vets Nash and St-Denis are at least paired with 1 rookie so that when St-Denis moves behind the net.....maybe the rookie go to? But if Nash and St-Denis went behind the net while a guy was there....well that would be a mistake so even vets are allowed to make it. But I doubt it happened often. And even if it did, well we are talking about Nash here. A guy who still has his limitations and missed a whole lot of playing time so has to be somewhat rusty. So the only guy you could use to see if that's really a strategy is St-Denis who is a competent #7 NHL'er. So if he DID it often leaving the crease entirely unprotected...well then you might have a case. But I doubt you will.
One of the hardest plays in hockey is when a Dman is covering the crease and see his partner lose the battle in the corner. The opposing player now has a clear path from the corner to the net, and 99 out of 100 amateur players will panic and go for him. The correct play for the D man is to stay in the slot, taking the pass option away, and tell your goalie to cover the short side rusher. You must keep the short side rusher toward the back boards, with a bad angle shot. The goalie becomes your second D at that point. It's a bad situation, but it's a hell of lot better than going for the rusher and him killing you with a pass to the guy you just left alone in front.

Try it, for a D man, it's really tough to stay in the crease with a guy barreling out of the corner completely free. Goes against every instinct.

All D men who have reached the AHL should know this. If they aren't doing it, it's probably due to panic at the speed and strength of play, and frequent lost corner battles.

Last edited by bsl: 10-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Closed Thread