Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Moving to Texas?

Old
10-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

vCash: 500
Moving to Texas?

I'm getting fed up with the Northeast. I've lived here my whole life but I despise snow and the cost of living is absurd. I was looking at online postings for houses in the Carrollton area and was blown away at how cheap they were. the same houses in my area would go for like 3 times the price. On top of that, Texas having no state income tax is awesome, plus no snow is a massive plus.

However, I was hoping to get input of from people that live there (preferably in a metro area, either Austin or Dallas. I have no intentions on moving to hickville) on downsides to Texas compared to elsewhere. Is gas or food really expensive? How are the highways, always clogged up if you're trying to get into the city?

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Gas is usually on the cheaper side compared to the rest of the country. I drove past a station last night that was $3.28, compared to Mass where you live that I just googled where the cheapest was $3.53.

Highways can be clogged, and you're definitely going to need a car to get around. They're trying to make it more you can use transits to get everywhere, but it's not there yet. 635 is the worst during rush hour, and there is tons of construction over almost every single road in the city. But Carrollton isn't too far from downtown, so wouldn't be too bad.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:30 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Pretty much everything is cheaper here. That's why a lot of people make the move. You can get much more house for your money in the suburbs. The tradeoff I guess is that things tend to not have 'character' or much history behind them and obviously there isn't much in the way of dramatic landscapes or terrain variation. Though there is some of that in Austin on the edge of the hill country.

There will be some snow if you move to Dallas (once or twice a year). And things grind to a halt when it happens. But it'll seem like nothing compared to what you're used to. Pretty much none in Austin.

Traffic isn't great but at least there's new construction designed to increase capacity going on pretty much all the time. Construction actually gets done here too unlike in Mass. Things can be kind of spread out though so even if the traffic isn't terrible prepare to spend time in your car. Austin is worse in that regard. They're seeing such a massive influx of people that the entire infrastructure is being strained. It's a mid-size city in the process of turning into a major city and there will be some growing pains along the way.

Really don't think you can go wrong either way. And judging from the amount of transplants who move here and stay they agree...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Traffic isn't bad, if you can get a job/house accordingly. As long as you can get a place where you can avoid rush hour 635, 820w/121, and 360 southbound, traffic isn't all that bad. The only complaint I have is how long the summers last, but that's something that a lot of northern transplants like.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

what they call "snow" in Dallas, you'll call a nice day for January. Sit back and enjoy the day off work for an inch of snow while you laugh.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
what they call "snow" in Dallas, you'll call a nice day for January. Sit back and enjoy the day off work for an inch of snow while you laugh.
Love hearing this all the time. I guess people don't realize that snow isn't the problem, ice is. When you have as many overpasses and stack interchanges as we do, and almost no salt trucks, it's a little risky to make the 30 mile drive to work that a lot of people do.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Gas is usually on the cheaper side compared to the rest of the country. I drove past a station last night that was $3.28, compared to Mass where you live that I just googled where the cheapest was $3.53.

Highways can be clogged, and you're definitely going to need a car to get around. They're trying to make it more you can use transits to get everywhere, but it's not there yet. 635 is the worst during rush hour, and there is tons of construction over almost every single road in the city. But Carrollton isn't too far from downtown, so wouldn't be too bad.
$3.28? prices for me have recently fallen down to $4.20. Screw this state.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Yea, we have a much bigger ice problem down here. My car can attest to that after that last awful storm we got in 2011. Driving to the Stars/Canucks game from Denton and lost control completely.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:58 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
Love hearing this all the time. I guess people don't realize that snow isn't the problem, ice is. When you have as many overpasses and stack interchanges as we do, and almost no salt trucks, it's a little risky to make the 30 mile drive to work that a lot of people do.
This ^. The whole not having the means to deal with it is a huge issue too. Also, think you hate winter up there? Try having it be 100 something everyday of the summer down here. It sucks.

One. Thing to keep in mind, yes there is no income tax here, but there are property taxes and they can very in price. Look into that before buying. If you're not in the ghetto areas of DFW, it really is a great place to live and raise a family.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:00 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Yea, we have a much bigger ice problem down here. My car can attest to that after that last awful storm we got in 2011. Driving to the Stars/Canucks game from Denton and lost control completely.
I had a pretty similar experience that day. Driving from Denton on 35 S, some idiot in front of me slams on the brakes in ice and I had to get in the shoulder to avoid the SOB.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I had a pretty similar experience that day. Driving from Denton on 35 S, some idiot in front of me slams on the brakes in ice and I had to get in the shoulder to avoid the SOB.
I can't even begin to tell you how many cars I came so close to hitting that week.

Not only is the area not prepared for ice or snow, but the drivers are absolutely awful. But then again, that's year round. Texas has some of the worst drivers in the entire country (and that's coming from someone who has drove in NYC/NJ traffic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Also, think you hate winter up there? Try having it be 100 something everyday of the summer down here. It sucks.
But then again, we get days like today. And they are absolutely awesome.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
While there is no state income tax there is a property tax, don't forget about that.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
If you've lived in the NE your whole life and hate the cold/winters, you'll love Texas summers. Personally after living in TX and FL my whole life, I had to get away and get to the NE for some seasons. But everyone wants what they didn't have the majority of their life, so it depends on you.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
If you've lived in the NE your whole life and hate the cold/winters, you'll love Texas summers. Personally after living in TX and FL my whole life, I had to get away and get to the NE for some seasons. But everyone wants what they didn't have the majority of their life, so it depends on you.
Yea I know, grass is always greener and so forth. Even if it's not a perfect situation, it would certainly be nice to make a change. However, convincing the wife and finding a job would be the hard part.

I appreciate the information.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:59 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Moved here in 2006 from ND and still laugh everytime it snows and we don't have school. I love it here.

starsfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:18 PM
txomisc

I don't think I would be able to stand the humidity. On the few days a hear where it is even remotely humid here i am incredibly uncomfortable.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy more salt trucks, especially since this happens annually and isn't a rare occurrence?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy more salt trucks, especially since this happens annually and isn't a rare occurrence?
Too sensible.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:10 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I don't think I would be able to stand the humidity. On the few days a hear where it is even remotely humid here i am incredibly uncomfortable.
It's not really ever that humid in DFW. Now, Houston on the other hand is. I lived out in Atlanta, GA last summer and experienced real humidity lol.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:12 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
We're talking about the same people that okayed construction on virtually every major highway in the area. Have you been on 114/183/121 lately? It's horrible. But they say they're ahead of schedule in the Grapevine area...only a few more years of this S lol.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Brand New Stars

Texas is great if you can get past the crazy hot summers. Couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up than McKinney.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I lived in Dallas for 14 years and Austin for a little over 2 now and I must say I much prefer Austin. The people are friendler and there's a lot more to do, but it all boils down to what kind of work you do. The drivers in Dallas are insane. I was up there a few months ago after being gone for 2 years and it was crazy.

If you want hockey both cities have it, Dallas has the NHL and Austin area has the AHL.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
$3.28? prices for me have recently fallen down to $4.20. Screw this state.
Hey you're lucky. I'll make a bimonthly commute from Long Beach to Carlsbad and in between both places I've seen as low as $4.55 and as high as $4.99.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:39 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
It's not humid in D-FW really at all. I had days here in Korea this summer where the temperature was less than 85 degrees but with 85% humidity. I'm still not sure which is more unbearable between the summer here and the string of 100+ degree days back home.

Quote:
1-2 times a year classifies as a rare occurrence in my book.

Not sure what line of work OP is in, which could obviously effect which city he targets, but it should be noted that Dallas and Austin are quite different places with their own unique qualities. For instance, Austin is quite liberal compared to Dallas and vice versa.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:48 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I find myself really amused at the "Dallas drivers are the worst" comments. I drove a good number of miles in the area and was lucky enough to not have any accidents. Compared to what I see on a daily basis Dallas drivers are model drivers.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote