Notices

Moving to Texas?

Old
10-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It's not humid in D-FW really at all. I had days here in Korea this summer where the temperature was less than 85 degrees but with 85% humidity. I'm still not sure which is more unbearable between the summer here and the string of 100+ degree days back home.

1-2 times a year classifies as a rare occurrence in my book.

Not sure what line of work OP is in, which could obviously effect which city he targets, but it should be noted that Dallas and Austin are quite different places with their own unique qualities. For instance, Austin is quite liberal compared to Dallas and vice versa.
I'm an analytical chemist in the pharmaceutical industry, but wouldn't mind branching out. Austin being liberal would be great, but it seems like housing is more expensive then in the Dallas area

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:12 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

For my money, Austin has worse traffic.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:52 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Hey you're lucky. I'll make a bimonthly commute from Long Beach to Carlsbad and in between both places I've seen as low as $4.55 and as high as $4.99.
you get to hang out in long beach and carlsbad and i am the lucky one?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Austin has the absolute WORST drivers on the planet. People here lack common sense, and all blame each other. Yeah it's liberal, which can be cool until a protest blocks traffic for half of the day.

Austin is becoming a very, very big tech town as well. Samsung, Google, Apple, ISIS, and Freescale just to name a few.

We have 4534345635689824572 concerts every single day which is pretty nice. Awesome public parks. Horrible mass transit options. Humid as ****.

Love the **** out of this place though.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Love the **** out of this place though.
Yeah, I've only been to Austin once but know a decent number of people who live or have lived there and despite the warts they all love the place. I'd like to live there under the right circumstances, part of that being updating the general infrastructure to accommodate the growing number of residents and visitors.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
I'm an analytical chemist in the pharmaceutical industry, but wouldn't mind branching out. Austin being liberal would be great, but it seems like housing is more expensive then in the Dallas area
Yeah there are definitely trade-offs. I grew up in the Dallas suburbs and I have general positive feelings about the area. While part of me would like to live in Austin in the future the other part of me feels like the Dallas area is my home and where I would like to raise a family.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Yeah, I've only been to Austin once but know a decent number of people who live or have lived there and despite the warts they all love the place. I'd like to live there under the right circumstances, part of that being updating the general infrastructure to accommodate the growing number of residents and visitors.
We need it desperately, but all of the 'OG locals' want to limit the construction so that we can 'deter' people from moving here. Plan is failing miserably.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:42 AM
TrillMike

I lived in Austin and grew up in the DFW area. There are really nice places to live in and around both cities. Austin is a great place to live if you're young. The thing with DFW is that it's freaking huge. He'll, even the airports bigger than Manhattan (I think). Everything is spread out and public transport is slow (due to distance) and generally out of the way.

Wherever you choose, just make sure that it's in a safe area. Stay the hell away from the area surrounding the fair grounds.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Wherever you choose, just make sure that it's in a safe area. Stay the hell away from the area surrounding the fair grounds.
I almost made that mistake this past summer. Thankfully my cousin is a realtor and saved me. Places there are way cheaper, but clearly for an obvious reason.

As for the public transit, I'm pretty sure DART has a system in place to cover all of the DFW area by 2030. Remember reading that somewhere at least.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:11 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Dallas > Houston

The humidity sucks here. And maybe it's just because I've lived here so long, but it seems like there's not nearly as much to do as opposed to Dallas.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:43 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I almost made that mistake this past summer. Thankfully my cousin is a realtor and saved me. Places there are way cheaper, but clearly for an obvious reason.
C'mon Lobo. It's common knowledge to avoid any place located on or around a street named after Martin Luther King or Malcom X. When they intersect you don't even drive through that neighborhood after dark.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Harry Hines is the area you want.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
C'mon Lobo. It's common knowledge to avoid any place located on or around a street named after Martin Luther King or Malcom X. When they intersect you don't even drive through that neighborhood after dark.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

As for the public transit, I'm pretty sure DART has a system in place to cover all of the DFW area by 2030. Remember reading that somewhere at least.
DART is constantly adding more rails throughout Dallas, and it doesn't appear as though they are going to stop anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if you see some of the lines stretch out a bit further into suburbs in the near future.

Also, Deep Ellum is fine if you are into lofts and such.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
beeker16

I wish there was a train from FW to Dallas.
That way I could work where I want and live where I want too.

And TRE doesn't count.
Good effort but not quite there yet.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:05 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
I wish there was a train from FW to Dallas.
That way I could work where I want and live where I want too.

And TRE doesn't count.
Good effort but not quite there yet.
TRE is actually a pretty effective line from FW to Dallas. Only a couple stops along the way, it really doesn't take too long to get from city to city.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:31 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I don't mind the TRE at all but I can see the criticism that it has too many stops. I don't know what the solution to that is though, since obviously none of the stops are going to volunteer to be skipped. Maybe you alternate going to every other station per train. Or build a higher speed track parallel to the existing one that runs direct.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Stouf761
Rookie User

Life is too short to live in Dallas. Come to Fort Worth!

Stouf761 is offline   Reply With Quote