HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Matt Finn - Guelph, OHL (2012, 35th overall, Toronto)

Old
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Yes you will get tons of flack for that comp.

It's too early to tell what his ceiling will be and how he eases into the mix for TO.

Probably a mid level 2nd pairing guy?
Well that was hypocritical

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Based on this, he sounds like a potential good partner for Gardiner..

Reilly Phaneuf
Gardiner Finn
Gunnarson Percy

I'm curious as to who you think he would partner well with on Toronto.
My answer would be same as yours.

Finn's sound two-way game would look perfect alongside Gardiner.

And I would also roll with that d-core.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:22 PM
That

I'd say that Finn's potential is around a good #2/excellent #3 defenceman. He's a complete package, the kind of defenceman every team needs. He's got good size, skates well, high hockey IQ, physical, has a booming slapshot, and makes the smart play. Top that off with the fact he's a leader, you got a really good prospect.

He always makes the safe play, but he's willing to pinch and take offensive chances. With that said I don't he's going to come in the NHL and be known for his offense. In my mind he'll probably be a #3 defenceman who's capable of logging big minutes night and night out and contributing about 25-35 points offensively.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Sundinisagod
Nylanderwillbeagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Finn would definitely fit their needs perfectly. Plus, I've read that he's known for his incredible work ethic and professionalism. Still, Ceci falling to the Senators would be a bigger story around these parts!

I only saw Finn play twice, but I couldn't believe his hockey sense. So composed on the puck - really left you with the impression that he was in charge! I'm curious to see where he gets drafted in relationship to Pouliot. I don't know enough about the latter, so interested to see who goes first around that #13 to #17 range.

I think Finn is more likely to be a steal for one of those teams, as opposed to sneaking into the Top 10. Too many other defenceman bring more raw skill/size to the table.
Imagine that!

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Muuri

Great name.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:51 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Yes you will get tons of flack for that comp.

It's too early to tell what his ceiling will be and how he eases into the mix for TO.

Probably a mid level 2nd pairing guy?
I was with you .... then ..
lol whatever.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'd say that Finn's potential is around a good #2/excellent #3 defenceman. He's a complete package, the kind of defenceman every team needs. He's got good size, skates well, high hockey IQ, physical, has a booming slapshot, and makes the smart play. Top that off with the fact he's a leader, you got a really good prospect.

He always makes the safe play, but he's willing to pinch and take offensive chances. With that said I don't he's going to come in the NHL and be known for his offense. In my mind he'll probably be a #3 defenceman who's capable of logging big minutes night and night out and contributing about 25-35 points offensively.
Sounds like Francois Beauchemin from your description.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
1g 1a tonight for Matt Finn, tying him for most goals in the CHL among defensemen. He now has 17 points in 19 games.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Ruah

Great draft pick

Matt Finn, Morgan Rielly, Conner Brown, Joshua Leivo, Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy, Dominic Toninato....all having great statistical seasons so far. Keep it up boys.

Really like Mat Finn's potential.

Ruah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Ruah

ohl selects

Nice to see Matt Finn , Stuart Percy and Joshua Leivo all playing for the OHL.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Ruah

Another apple for Finn tonight. Right behind Ceci.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Hey quick question, why isn't he playing?

Went to the game tonight and he wasn't playing.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Hey quick question, why isn't he playing?

Went to the game tonight and he wasn't playing.
He has mono.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
He has mono.
That sucks, any idea how long he's out for?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Leafs getting Rielly and Finn should set them up nicely for years on D. Great drafting by Burke.

I was quite surprised Edmonton passed on him and he was still around for Toronto to nab him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:46 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Leafs getting Rielly and Finn should set them up nicely for years on D. Great drafting by Burke.

I was quite surprised Edmonton passed on him and he was still around for Toronto to nab him.
How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.
Then I guess Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, Grigorenko, etc. aren't good picks either. Should have drafted a guy with NHL experience, eh?

Old
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Ashasx

Finn was a very good pick. I don't know how that can be denied at this point in time.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Then I guess Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, Grigorenko, etc. aren't good picks either. Should have drafted a guy with NHL experience, eh?
Huh? I'm just saying it's first of all not a guarantee at all that he makes it in the first place, not even close, probably 50% chance. And second of all you're not going to be seeing his legit everyday impact in the league if he does happen to make it until towards the end of this decade. It's the nature of all prospects. To proclaim yourself a "winner" months after the draft or slotting him together in a pairing with Rielly is a fools exercise for a fan of any team. That's all I'm saying.

Let me also say I like Finn as a prospect and think he is a solid second-round prospect thus far, like him more than Edmonton's own pick of Moroz at this point.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:54 PM
frankthetank91

Sounds to me someone being ******** over drafting Mitch Moroz.

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Huh? I'm just saying it's first of all not a guarantee at all that he makes it in the first place, not even close, probably 50% chance. And second of all you're not going to be seeing his legit everyday impact in the league if he does happen to make it until towards the end of this decade. It's the nature of all prospects. To proclaim yourself a "winner" months after the draft is a fools exercise for a fan of any team. That's all I'm saying.
Then the players I've listed are not "winners" yet. See how foolish that is? Just because a player is young, and is comparable (in your opinion) to players in the past that haven't panned out is flat out crazy.

How about I say, Yakupov won't be a safe pick until he becomes an NHL regular, which there is a chance will never happen. He's not a winner at all. Nail Yakupov is like Patrik Stefan, both first overall picks who will never be as "great" as they were once projected to be.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:58 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Sounds to me someone being ******** over drafting Mitch Moroz.
Not really, I didn't personally draft Moroz, I don't think it's a very good pick I would rather have Finn. I approach all prospects on my own team like this too, I don't expect all my team's top prospects to make the NHL eventually.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

It's setting them up nicely because with prospects like Rielly and Finn, as well as some of the D talent they already have, their blue line should be a strength for them and for some time too.

Also, hockey analysts talk about certain teams winning or losing the draft immediately after the draft. Surely the fans can do the same a few months later. Whether that turns out to be true 5 or 10 years later, well, that's another matter.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:01 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Then the players I've listed are not "winners" yet. See how foolish that is? Just because a player is young, and is comparable (in your opinion) to players in the past that haven't panned out is flat out crazy.

How about I say, Yakupov won't be a safe pick until he becomes an NHL regular, which there is a chance will never happen. He's not a winner at all. Nail Yakupov is like Patrik Stefan, both first overall picks who will never be as "great" as they were once projected to be.
Yakupov isn't a guarantee at this point, but he is pretty close.

I didn't handpick losers from 2nd round drafted defensemen for my comparisons for Finn.. Those are legit prospects who had a lot of success in Canadian junior and continue to do so in the AHL, they're all still pretty good prospects,, they just haven't made the NHL yet 4 years after their draft. All I'm saying is don't expect an immediate impact from Finn and be thinking of a Rielly-Finn pairing even if he's tracking nicely 30 games after his draft season. It could happen though, Weber-Suter became a great pairing after being drafted in the same draft, I just would never come to expect it.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Yakupov isn't a guarantee at this point, but he is pretty close.

I didn't handpick losers from 2nd round drafted defensemen for my comparisons for Finn.. Those are legit prospects who had a lot of success in Canadian junior and continue to do so in the AHL, they're all still pretty good prospects,, they just haven't made the NHL yet 4 years after their draft. All I'm saying is don't expect an immediate impact from Finn and be thinking of a Rielly-Finn pairing even if he's tracking nicely 30 games after his draft season.
How is he close, he isn't a "safe pick" or a "winner" at all, I thought they need to pan our and make the NHL first, which he has not.

We are not expecting an immediate impact of a Rielly-Finn pairing, seriously, no Leaf fan is. Rielly is expected by some of us to make the NHL next season, and by others to play another year in the WHL just in case. We expect Finn to be about 22 or 23 before he makes the NHL, I think he'll be similar to Jesse Blacker, who's still on the Marlies after being drafted 58th(?) in 2009. Even though, its been three years and he isn't a Leaf yet doesn't mean anything, some prospects take longer to develop.

But what you said, to start off this conversation between us, was a complete joke.