HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Luongo Thread [Mod Warning in OP]

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 06:53 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avacadoh View Post
Nobody seems to remember Luongo saving team Canada's ass against Slovakia do they? Let me remind you.

Wonderful stuff but.....this is what most people remember about Luongo when it comes to NHL hockey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPKCS3yeV4

I could have been mean and showed the other two games in Boston where he was horrific, not just bad

Old
10-21-2012, 08:11 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Different spin on this from the Toronto rumours, but there is thought regarding a mystery team and the Capitals could be an outlying team interested.

Washington
Josh Bailey

New York Islanders
Braden Holtby

Washington gets a solid young center who can replace Ribeiro long term (Backstrom, Johansson, Bailey is a pretty deadly middle). And the Islanders have a wealth of young centers looking to make the jump.

The Islanders get a good young goalie who can play 1A/1B behind Nabokov next year and ease his transition into a solid #1 goalie.
Holtby is worth FAR more than Bailey in a trade. Holtby is one of the top goalie prospects in the league, and had a great NHL playoff run last year to boot. If NYI were willing to give up Bailey for him, Id be willing to give more than that as a Leaf fan.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Then see if Florida wants him.
No thank you. Keep him

Old
10-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Wonderful stuff but.....this is what most people remember about Luongo when it comes to NHL hockey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPKCS3yeV4

I could have been mean and showed the other two games in Boston where he was horrific, not just bad
Sure, but can you make sure you post the two shutouts he had against the Bruins in the same series? (And I'm a Leaf fan).

Old
10-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacadoh View Post
Nobody seems to remember Luongo saving team Canada's ass against Slovakia do they? Let me remind you.

Talk about selective memory or what?

Lou is flopping around on his tummy while Demitra sails it over the net.

Canada was cruising along in that game until Luo let the Slovaks back in.

Lou was hardly Roy or Hasek like in that series and that's all history now anyways.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
And as mentioned a hundred times before, the Canucks are more than happy to keep him and go with the best goaltending tandem in the league with a very, very solid team in front of them.
Guys can mention this and pretend it's true but it's not a workable situation.

It's time for all parties to move on and Lou will not spend another day as a Canuck in uniform or at a practice.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If we did chase Green, then Edler would be out the door almost immediately. You do not acquire someone of Green's caliber to play on the third pairing nor would any of our top four move down. This could work though if Anaheim would bite on moving Ryan or Perry. That said, Green is an expensive contract to bring in.
Yea, acquiring Green at $6M would certainly mean contract talks with Edler didn't go well and they'd have a deal in place to move him elsewhere. There were rumours that Gillis coveted John Carlson, but with him re-signing long term there's no was Washington moves him.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Talk about selective memory or what?

Lou is flopping around on his tummy while Demitra sails it over the net.

Canada was cruising along in that game until Luo let the Slovaks back in.

Lou was hardly Roy or Hasek like in that series and that's all history now anyways.
1) Luo was facing the point shot while Demitra was camping the side of the net. I'm not sure how else he could have played that.

2) Sailed over the net? it clearly hit his glove. Open your freaking eyes!

Old
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
pdd

Here's what I gather, as a Wings fan who wants the Leafs (and Burke) to fail miserably, but does not want Vancouver to improve.

Vancouver is set on D. They have a backup in Eddie Lack once they trade Luongo, so there's no need to get goaltending.

This means forwards, futures, or an upgrade on D that is an offer that can't be refused.

A 2nd line center is the ideal fit as a starting piece; fills Kesler's spot and can center the 2nd PP, plus hopefully PK. Connolly would be a good fit in this respect, but he has a high cap hit and his deal expires at the end of the year; not to mention his NTC. Matthew Lombardi also would work well; he's paid less with no NTC, but does turn UFA after the season.

So let's work around Lombardi. Obviously a 30 year-old 2/3 center with one year left on his deal is not fair value. A second line winger to go with Kesler could be added. This should probably be Kulemin. After that, a 1st pick seals the deal.

Lombardi is expendable from the Leafs' side, Kulemin is the main player given up. The first has the highest value. Luongo improves the team so much compared to Lombardi/Kulemin that adding the 1st shouldn't be an issue.

Burke may demand that Vancouver take Connolly instead of Lombardi as a cap dump, but there isn't a significant difference between the two; both are 40-50 point two-way centers. Lombardi and Connolly both scored well below that due to their roles on the Leafs (offensively skilled two-way centers placed in checking roles due to personnel issues) last year but both are certainly capable of returning to scoring lines. The Leafs used Kessel/Lupul for offense rather than trying to form any kind of scoring depth. Adding JVR should fix that issue as they now have Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Grabovski, Bozak, MacArthur, Connolly, Kulemin, Crabb, and Lombardi who are capable of top-six scoring numbers.

Last edited by pdd: 10-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Here's what I gather, as a Wings fan who wants the Leafs (and Burke) to fail miserably, but does not want Vancouver to improve.

Vancouver is set on D. They have a backup in Eddie Lack once they trade Luongo, so there's no need to get goaltending.

This means forwards, futures, or an upgrade on D that is an offer that can't be refused.

A 2nd line center is the ideal fit as a starting piece; fills Kesler's spot and can center the 2nd PP, plus hopefully PK. Connolly would be a good fit in this respect, but he has a high cap hit and his deal expires at the end of the year; not to mention his NTC. Matthew Lombardi also would work well; he's paid less with no NTC, but does turn UFA after the season.

So let's work around Lombardi. Obviously a 30 year-old 2/3 center with one year left on his deal is not fair value. A second line winger to go with Kesler could be added. This should probably be Kulemin. After that, a 1st pick seals the deal.

A very reasonable assertion. Now if only reasonable assertions seemed to actually sway opinions in this thread...

Old
10-21-2012, 11:19 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
A very reasonable assertion. Now if only reasonable assertions seemed to actually sway opinions in this thread...
The 1st is not going anywhere; that's what many do not let register.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
The 1st is not going anywhere; that's what many do not let register.
Why not? If people think that because one time Burke lost a trade he's never trading a 1st again, they are sorely mistaken.

Swap the 1st for Kadri and a 2nd and I'd still consider it, but I really think the 1st should be included.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Why not? If people think that because one time Burke lost a trade he's never trading a 1st again, they are sorely mistaken.

Swap the 1st for Kadri and a 2nd and I'd still consider it, but I really think the 1st should be included.
Because the 1st will likely end up closer to 1 than 30 and Luongo isn't even remotely worth that much

Old
10-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Because the 1st will likely end up closer to 1 than 30 and Luongo isn't even remotely worth that much
No. Toronto with Luongo is almost certainly a playoff team, which is why I have no problem making it conditional on the pick not being in the top-10, or whatever.

I'm just higher on the middrange prospects in the upcoming draft than I am on any Toronto prospect not named Rielly.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:42 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Agreed. Kulemin, Lombardi and a 1st is what I proposed too. And as I said before, I would have no problem making that first top 10 protected, to ensure Burke doesn't get burned again.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

eva unit zero, a DET fan, just laid out his "worth" for you.

I can understand your trepidation in trading yet another 1st round pick after what happened with Kessel, but irrational fear is impacting your reason here. A fan without bias just presented his assertion - Unbiased - Is he wrong about Lu's worth too? Is everyone wrong but _some_ TO fans?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

I think Kesler should be included. We are all entitled to our opinions but because we think it does not make us right.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I think Kesler should be included. We are all entitled to our opinions but because we think it does not make us right.

Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. Yet, it's the reasoned opinion that holds relevance across biases. It's not hard to pick out which is which...

Old
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Okay...But in general one should have a reasonable explanation for their opinion. All that's "right" is what our respective GMs think. I doubt Burke is going to hold back from trading a 1st round pick just because the fanbase won't like it.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
colchar

I am praying that Luongo ends up in Toronto, not because I necessarily want him, but because him being traded to Toronto will finally settle the arguments here about what the Leafs would have to give up to get him!

Old
10-21-2012, 12:20 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I am praying that Luongo ends up in Toronto, not because I necessarily want him, but because him being traded to Toronto will finally settle the arguments here about what the Leafs would have to give up to get him!
That's funny because after the countless (and i truly mean countless) posts by Leafs fans ripping on his value, his talent, his personality, his general attitude, and any other means to attempt to lower his perceived HF value, I would like nothing more than to see Luongo traded anywhere else and watch Toronto's goaltenders struggle again next year, and the next year, and the next year.

Whatever happens, it's gonna be hilarious around here.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:44 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

vCash: 138
There is very little on Toronto's current roster that would improve the Canucks. We have enough depth to cover for Kesler's absence, so we don't need Lombardi/Connolly for what, a month? Don't need d-men. We have guys like Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Booth... don't need MacArthur. I like Kulemin's size, but who knows what you'll get (30 goals, or 7?) and his D is decent, but overated.... he was a 2nd unit PK guy, behind 5 other Leafs forwards. If his D was that good, he'd be on the top PK unit on a weaker defensive team.

Van's needs? Youth. We won back-to-back PT's... there isn't much to improve on, unless a star player comes back. T.O. can't afford to make holes on their current roster (moving a part of their core), but they can give up youth. I can see Biggs being targetted by Gillis. Biggs + Kadri, + something else.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

We could use a solid defensive prospect, though. I guy like Blacker or Finn(or Petrovic) would also make a nice supplementary piece.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
This is my year!

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
That's funny because after the countless (and i truly mean countless) posts by Leafs fans ripping on his value, his talent, his personality, his general attitude, and any other means to attempt to lower his perceived HF value, I would like nothing more than to see Luongo traded anywhere else and watch Toronto's goaltenders struggle again next year, and the next year, and the next year.

Whatever happens, it's gonna be hilarious around here.
What would be funnier is watching Vancouver dump Luongo for a moderate return and having Schneider crap the bed. Now that would be fun to watch.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows Bite View Post
I think Bozak makes alot of sense. With Kesler being injured the Canucks badly need a center. They have no good young center ready as Schreoder is not having a good start to the AHL season.
Do you even watch the Wolves? Schroeder has been one of the better Wolves who have started the season 4 and 1 so far.

A deal I saw that is pretty close to what should be the trade even tho it includes a dump, it also includes a high value pick. Kulimen Lombardi and 1st. This matches Cap hit almost perfectly with Lu and we grab a good young player, a sub in centre and a quality pick. I don't care where the Leafs finish, it's very valuable to be able to sell your own 1st while having one still.

Closed Thread