HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
bud12

vCash: 500
Dietz is a under-radar type of dmen. Not spectacular but good in all the situation!! We will need him again Toronto in 3-4 years when they will have Biggs,Ross,Boll and Devane......

Last edited by bud12: 10-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 12:23 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seems to me that he might be our next Rivet. A better skating Rivet.
One could only wish, Rivet = Gorges + Paccioretty

Old
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Dietz is a under-radar type of dmen. Not spectacular but good in all the situation!! We will need him again Toronto in 3-4 years when they will have Biggs,Ross,Boll and Devane......
Are any of those players supposed to be scary?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Are any of those players supposed to be scary?
Related question, how many of those players are actually going to make the NHL? And if they do play more than 10 minutes a night?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:37 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Related question, how many of those players are actually going to make the NHL? And if they do play more than 10 minutes a night?
They will be bringing lots of truculence to the third line.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I mean Biggs could be a nice role player someday, I'm not sure why he was taken in the first round though.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
That

I really really like Dietz, I think he's going be a good NHL defenceman one day. He has every you want in a defenceman. He's a good skater, great defensively, hard shot, and is pretty tough too. He can also skate fast and is a very versatile player on PP.

Quote:
Lucky Leafs. All their tough prospects panning out, but none of ours.

Come on now, you can't expect all of them pan out. Even if they all do, there won't be enough room in their bottom 6 for all of them.

Quote:
I mean Biggs could be a nice role player someday, I'm not sure why he was taken in the first round though.
Because he has a very rare skill set. He a good skater, he's huge, he can fight, he hits like a truck, and also has good hands around the net. Everyone's looking for the next Lucic, and Biggs could potentially be just that.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Et le But

Lucic was the exception to the rule, there's a reason he dropped as far as he did - because nobody could project how much he'd improve his offense. Looking for a Lucic clone is a gamble better left for the second round; I would be surprised if any of these "Next Lucics" - Biggs, Wilson, whoever, end up more than a third liner, Chris Neil type at best. Biggs wasn't a bad pick after 20...but it'll be very surprising if he's a game changer.

Which isn't a bad thing - We could definitely use a guy like that for when Prust and Moen are finished, but gambling on the "Next Lucic" is best left for after the first round.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:52 PM
bud12

Quote:
I can see 3/4 make it. they all know how to play hockey and heaven if they play only 10 min a night, how much time Neil play?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:52 PM
That

Quote:
Lucic was the exception to the rule, there's a reason he dropped as far as he did - because nobody could project how much he'd improve his offense. Looking for a Lucic clone is a gamble better left for the second round; I would be surprised if any of these "Next Lucics" - Biggs, Wilson, whoever, end up more than a third liner, Chris Neil type at best.

Which isn't a bad thing - We could definitely use a guy like that for when Prust and Moen are finished, but gambling on the "Next Lucic" is best left for after the first round.
I absolutely agree with that, well I agree with in the Habs situation.

The Leafs were/are in desperate need of toughness, especially guys who could actually play hockey and add that sandpaper. Biggs is certainly worth a gamble in the first round for them, and he's looking great in the OHL this year.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
They will be bringing lots of truculence to the third line.
Quote:
Lucic was the exception to the rule, there's a reason he dropped as far as he did - because nobody could project how much he'd improve his offense. Looking for a Lucic clone is a gamble better left for the second round; I would be surprised if any of these "Next Lucics" - Biggs, Wilson, whoever, end up more than a third liner, Chris Neil type at best. Biggs wasn't a bad pick after 20...but it'll be very surprising if he's a game changer.

Drafting for deluxe bottom liners can be something of a fools errand, they emerge far later in their careers and are often former skill or all-round players that hit a wall in their development and had to adapt or guys that weren't very good when younger but kept at hockey long enough to develop those kind of ancillary skills.

Because of this a very large proportion of these guys are playing for teams other than the ones that drafted them.

Now Milan Lucic's of the world are kept forever by their teams because they are so rare and irreplaceable. But then there's the factor that Lucic's are hard to find because there really are so few of them that can play that game at the NHL level. Most NHL teams don't have one for that reason.

That's why I'm unconcerned about Biggs tuning into a Lucic for Toronto. Its a low percentage event. There are a lot more of Trevor Gillies out there than Lucic.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I absolutely agree with that, well I agree with in the Habs situation.

The Leafs were/are in desperate need of toughness, especially guys who could actually play hockey and add that sandpaper. Biggs is certainly worth a gamble in the first round for them, and he's certainly looking great in the OHL this year.
And he really wasn't a bad pick at all after 20, but I find he's someone overrated by Leafs and Habs fans alike - I might just be a homer and I know these are different drafts but I'd take a high ceiling guy like Collberg at that point in the draft before I'd take a Biggs type, in fact I was worried the Habs would trade up for Matteau or Samuelsson for that reason. Even the Leafs second round pick last year in Finn seems like more of a steal to me.

And once again before the usual crowd accuses me of wanting a soft team, the Habs could definitely use a guy like that, the problem is a lot of those big tough kids physically developed early and already hit their ceilings, so projecting growth is much more random than it is with pure skill.

Quote:
Drafting for deluxe bottom liners can be something of a fools errand, they emerge far later in their careers and are often former skill or all-round players that hit a wall in their development and had to adapt or guys that weren't very good when younger but kept at hockey long enough to develop those kind of ancillary skills.

Because of this a very large proportion of these guys are playing for teams other than the ones that drafted them.

Now Milan Lucic's of the world are kept forever by their teams because they are so rare and irreplaceable. But then there's the factor that Lucic's are hard to find because there really are so few of them that can play that game at the NHL level. Most NHL teams don't have one for that reason.

That's why I'm unconcerned about Biggs tuning into a Lucic for Toronto. Its a low percentage event. There are a lot more of Trevor Gillies out there than Lucic.
Exactly, that's what later round picks and undrafted scouting is for, low risk gambles on longshots and big skilled players who aren't panning out.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Pribyl has scored today.

4 points in 4 games since he returned now.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:05 PM
sda

Quote:
have you seen Dietz play. I have watched him play live and am astonished at how highly he is regarded. this year he has not played well at all and there are a lot of far better dmen in the W

Old
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I can see 3/4 make it. they all know how to play hockey and heaven if they play only 10 min a night, how much time Neil play?
Knowing to play hockey and being able to play meaningful hockey at the NHL level are very different things. And I don't think your giving enough credit for high an attrition rate there is for those kinds of minor prospects.

Then there's the matter of being good enough at that kind of game that it registers above background for depth players. Mike Blunden can skate around and hit people, it doesn't make him meaningful for winning NHL hockey games.

Old
S Bah

vCash: 50
It's nice to see Danny Pribyl back scoring and producing,looking forward to him joining the Bulldogs at the end of the season or next season.The Bulldogs adding Pribyl,Collberg and Kristo for the playoffs would give them some serious pop on offence.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pribyl has scored today.

Wow, since returning from injury (and it has been confirmed he was injured) he's really run out of the gate, I wonder how his skating is doing because while he's unpolished in other areas, skating will determine if we hit a home run or if he's destined to be a European league star.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seems to me that he might be our next Rivet. A better skating Rivet.
He was the guy I had in mind too. And a Rivet type would be a need right now in our squad. Really like the pick.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's nice to see Danny Pribyl back scoring and producing,looking forward to him joining the Bulldogs at the end of the season or next season.The Bulldogs adding Pribyl,Collberg and Kristo for the playoffs would give them some serious pop on offence.
I don't think the Euros can just join them late in the season like that, but I may be wrong.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pribyl has scored today.

A now an assist for him too.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
A now an assist for him too.
Not bad at all. Do you know how he looks overall?

Old
10-21-2012, 01:18 PM
joey16

Quote:
Not bad at all. Do you know how he looks overall?
Sadly no.. just watching the rest of the game now.
He's playing in the fourth line.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Thats solid production in a NHL Czech player flooded league.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
have you seen Dietz play. I have watched him play live and am astonished at how highly he is regarded. this year he has not played well at all and there are a lot of far better dmen in the W
its difficult to play good when all your teamates play like if the puck was a hot potato

Old
10-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Dietz is not going to wow anyone with his defensive game, but he plays a conservative game on the backend which suits him just fine. Very similar to Souray insofar as that Souray got most of his points from the powerplay while he played a simple two-way game.

Closed Thread