HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 3.0 - Unbelievable++ Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 11:17 AM
HabsPassion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
..okay. No idea what u thought u read.... Thanks for jumping to such conclusions.
Well, I did not understand what you were trying to point out by mentioning his fluctuation. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, I will remove some of the post.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This. Last time we picked this high we got Price, some monkeys questioned Timmins and the pick and now no one does.
Everybody did question him and it was extremely normal to do so. Besides.....Kopitar wouldn't be too bad....

Yet, for a Price, you have a Kostitsyn.....or a Fischer....or a Chipchura....and soon you'll have people comparing Leblanc to what was chosen after....and Tinordi and so on.....Nobody is always right...not even Timmins even if he's the best asset we've got in our organization.

By the way, I was just answering your post. Going back to the subject, I TOTALLY LOVE this Gally pick. And people panicking over his supposed average start of the season have no idea what they're talking about.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Well, I did not understand what you were trying to point out by mentioning his fluctuation. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, I will remove some of the post.
I was trying to point out that his .ppg the week before was even higher, and he hasn't been playing badly either. It was that 4 point night that elevated him just like it did for Scheifele. An other one like that and he is right up there battling for first and is .ppg ratio drastically shoots up. It's still early in the season and and it doesn't really mean all that much right now, Brady Veil was leading the OHL not too long ago.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:31 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By the way, I was just answering your post. Going back to the subject, I TOTALLY LOVE this Gally pick. And people panicking over his supposed average start of the season have no idea what they're talking about.
My Thoughts Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I was trying to point out that his .ppg the week before was even higher, and he hasn't been playing badly either. It was that 4 point night that elevated him just like it did for Scheifele. An other one like that and he is right up there battling for first and is .ppg ratio drastically shoots up. It's still early in the season and and it doesn't really mean all that much right now, Brady Veil was leading the OHL not too long ago.
Fair enough. Just we have some people criticizing and critiquing his numbers right now as well as his offensive capabilities. It bottles my mind how they can critique after such a little sample size this season. It seems this season has changed many peoples views on his capabilities, in which if you look at the numbers so far, there is a slight increase while playing with little talent, and changing positions/linemates daily.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:33 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You see a Plekanec clone?
I think we have to keep in mind that as coaches got better and better at the post-lockout game, goals have gotten harder to come by and, as a result, scoring has gone down across the board over time. Depending on circumstances, such as chemistry with linemates or an increase in overall production, I could see Galchenyuk put up 80 or more (I definitely mispoke in my last comment, I should have said I don't think he'll be 90 point scorer on a consistent basis), but the 60-70 range, based on scoring in the past few years, is where I see him going more often than not. He has an excellent skill set for sure, very complete, and I'm open to being wrong as I have been in the past, especially if being wrong means him catapulting over my estimations.

Part of my guesswork includes a gut feeling of sorts. Sometimes that gut feeling helped me in the past, such as when I thought OEL was going to be better than Hedman and Rundblad before the 2009 draft. Other times, not so much. In the end, this viewpoint is not something I can defend until I am either proven right or wrong because of it being based on faith rather than hard facts, so I won't bother going further on that.

If he can combine with with a solid two-way game, though, then he would definitely be considered a first-line centerman in the current league. I do think he has the kind of game that can help the Habs win when it counts.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 10-21-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Habs Man

I think that many of you here also forget about the psychological factor there must be for a player who was counting on at least getting to be at Habs training camp this year. He had a mindset the entire off-season that he was going to make the Habs opening day roster and because of this lockout he's now stuck in Sarnia. I think that something like this for a player of his talent and upside can do more harm than good. People need to relax and just let him progress into the top 2 centre that this kid will eventually become.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
My Thoughts Exactly.

Fair enough. Just we have some people criticizing and critiquing his numbers right now as well as his offensive capabilities. It bottles my mind how they can critique after such a little sample size this season. It seems this season has changed many peoples views on his capabilities, in which if you look at the numbers so far, there is a slight increase while playing with little talent, and changing positions/linemates daily.
The OHL doesn't keep shot stats so I can't confirm this but I'm pretty sure that he's been heavily snake bit on the goals stat compared to the chances he generates. In the long run its the ability to create quality chances that drives goal scoring more than "finishing" so I'm not particularly worried there. Especially since he does seem to have a plus shot tool, just some accuracy issues recently. And shot accuracy in games is very much something that just comes and goes and heavily effected by small adjustments and random chance.

Its the opposite effect of why we can't expect Dietz to keep up this goal scoring hot streak he's on.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:35 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You see a Plekanec clone?
That's not necessarily a bad thing now is it?

I don't see him becoming a similar player to Plekanec though, Galchenyuk has better hands in tight and is a much better goal scorer. Galchenyuk is also much more explosive than Plekanec. I think Galchenyuk has more offensive ability than Plekanec.

If Galchenyuk becomes a consistent 70 point centre, that's one hell of a player. That is clearly a first line player, and among the leagues best players.

However, gauging potential is an extremely hard thing to do, especially someone who missed most of their draft year. Most of what I believe his potential to be comes from what I saw 2 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if ended up becoming a better producer than that.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Et le But

Galchenyuk might not put up huge numbers at the NHL level but I suspect he will be much more consistent offensively than Plekanec, because he has far better hands. Between that and his size Galchenyuk should be far better in tight spaces. On the other hand he doesn't have Pleks speed so I don't see him as a breakaway monster like Plekanec is.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:44 PM
SeriousFan09

Spoke with a scout I know while I'm vacationing in Montreal this week. Cites Sarnia HC/GM Jacques Beaulieu as a bit of a drawback for Galchenyuk's production.

From what he said/was told, Beaulieu relies too much on a 'roll the lines' format rather than favouring to double-shift a guy like Galchenyuk. Overall, wasn't a fan of Beaulieu and thinks it's hurting what Galchenyuk could be doing ATM.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Andros777

It's not so much that I want him to put up HUGE numbers in the NHL. What I want with Galchenyuk is hopefully someone who can CREATE his own offense, and at even strength too.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:09 PM
HabsPassion

Now people are comparing Galchenyuk to Plekanec.. OH GOD!

1. Plekanec will NEVER have the shot/release Galchenyuk has.
2. Plekanec will NEVER have the Vision Gally possesses.
3. Plekanec will NEVER have the poise/net presence Gally does.

I said it once, and Ill say it again.

I would compare Galchenyuk to Parise.

1. They both posses Great Leadership
2. They both have great vision
3. They both play a great two-way game.
4. Both have a nose for the net, and make those around them better.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:10 PM
theboss*

If galchenyuk turns out to be a pleky clone, we would still need a number one C

Old
10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
He is NOTHING like Plekanec. Plekanec relies on his acceleration to steal pucks and set up and score goals off the rush. He is decent at setting plays once in the offensive zone, but not NEARLY as dominant as Galchenyuk is. Gally is able to read the play well and win puck battles, but is not as quick and agile as Plek. He also will go into the boards and front of the net because he is bulkier and more fearless than Plek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Spoke with a scout I know while I'm vacationing in Montreal this week. Cites Sarnia HC/GM Jacques Beaulieu as a bit of a drawback for Galchenyuk's production.

From what he said/was told, Beaulieu relies too much on a 'roll the lines' format rather than favouring to double-shift a guy like Galchenyuk. Overall, wasn't a fan of Beaulieu and thinks it's hurting what Galchenyuk could be doing ATM.
He really does not play that much. But it is probably just a method to ease him in.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Far to early to say (not to mention they have far different games), but it's one reason why having half a season would be nice, because a future with Galchenyuk AND Mackinnon/Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm would be interesting.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:19 PM
LeMAD

I might be wrong, but the way I understood the pick, it wasn't that Galchenyuk had elite offensive talent, but that he had the whole package of tools you are looking for in a good hockey player. Including the character and work ethic to continue to develop his game and possibly become an elite offensive player.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post

Ive no prob with this, injuries usually happens when players are tired and Gally is just coming back from a very very bad injury missing almost 1 year of action, thats the proper way to do and thats why Gally's production has to be took with a grain of salt.. If Gally was playing more he would get more points no doubt but Im fine with bringing him back slowly, the last thing Habs need is Galcheyuk re injure his knee, the sky would fall for everyone one of us..

Old
10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspassion View Post
now people are comparing galchenyuk to plekanec.. Oh god!

1. Plekanec will never have the shot/release galchenyuk has.
2. Plekanec will never have the vision gally possesses.
3. Plekanec will never have the poise/net presence gally does.

I said it once, and ill say it again.

I would compare galchenyuk to parise.

1. They both posses great leadership
2. They both have great vision
3. They both play a great two-way game.
4. Both have a nose for the net, and make those around them better.
this

Old
10-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I might be wrong, but the way I understood the pick, it wasn't that Galchenyuk had elite offensive talent, but that he had the whole package of tools you are looking for in a good hockey player. Including the character and work ethic to continue to develop his game and possibly become an elite offensive player.
He has the whole package of tools and he has elite offensive talent.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
You need good players no matter the position. Desharnais/Plekanec would have been fine as our top-2 centers if we had decent wingers on the second line, if Eller would have been better and if our defense didn't suck.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Galchenyuk might not become a 1st liner in the NHL, but man he has sick hands.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
He has the whole package of tools and he has elite offensive talent.
Right now I don't think you can argue that he's not in exemple in Yakupov's or Grigorenko's league in terms of skills (or vision in the case of Grigorenko). Before the draft, even those who though highly of Galchenyuk said that short term he's clearly not as good as Yakupov, but that they wouldn't be surprised if it would change five years from now because he's such a character kid.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
NotProkofievian

Galchenyuk clearly has elite offensive skill. Things just aren't clicking for him very well at the moment in the goal scoring department. His assist numbers are right where they ought to be, and would be even higher if he had a linemate like, for example, Bozon. He's on pace for 60 apples, currently....60! When his shot is clicking again, and he's scoring the goals we know he can score, then look out.

With the comparisons to Grigorenko, you really cannot discount the difference in quality of teams. Yakupov is, for now, clearly the better player between them, though.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Right now I don't think you can argue that he's not in exemple in Yakupov's or Grigorenko's league in terms of skills (or vision in the case of Grigorenko). Before the draft, even those who though highly of Galchenyuk said that short term he's clearly not as good as Yakupov, but that they wouldn't be surprised if it would change five years from now because he's such a character kid.
Many people at the draft including Mr.Bob Mckenzie said the upside to Galchenyuk is "Almost Limitless". Many people have also mentioned they see more Raw talent in Galchenyuk then they do in Yakupov. Where do you get your information from? Stop talking out of your A**

Go on Youtube, search Montreal Canadiens Select Alex Galchenyuk and listen...

Old
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Now people are comparing Galchenyuk to Plekanec.. OH GOD!

1. Plekanec will NEVER have the shot/release Galchenyuk has.
2. Plekanec will NEVER have the Vision Gally possesses.
3. Plekanec will NEVER have the poise/net presence Gally does.
Well thats highly debatable, especially considering Galchenyuk is still only playing in the CHL.

Closed Thread