HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2012, 09:33 PM
  #176
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Esks just have to win one and they're in and they can still tie down third place in the West. Interestingly enough both Winnipeg and Hamilton can still catch Toronto. What a gong show the Argos are in their Grey Cup hosting year.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
  #177
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Didn't Charles get hurt last night? It probably has more to do with that.
Yeah, but like I said a couple weeks ago it was odd that the club would set a healthy Boyd loose when both Charles and Messam were not 100%.

It didn't make much sense then and it doesn't now. In fact I stated what happens when one of our starters gets injured? It was a likelihood.

On one hand I wanna say this team is stupid beyond belief, on the other maybe they knew nobody interested had the capspace to pick up Boyd. This could be like kind of a taxi squad and saving 2 games of cap at the same time, who knows.

I'm strangely divided on what to think here..

Oh well, at least Stampeders somehow managed to win the game tonight despite trying to gift it to the Ticats every way possible.

Snowbowl. Love it.

Eskimos are magic number 1 away from the Playoffs. Could still catch Riders too. Toronto could still miss the playoffs.

life is good.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
  #178
IamTheStig
Registered User
 
IamTheStig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Boyd's agent says he has rejoined the Eskimos


IamTheStig is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
  #179
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
We were a botched snap away from missing the playoffs there. If Hamilton had won tonight, I honestly don't think we'd have gotten in. Still nothing guaranteed, but we'd need to go 0-2 and Hamilton or Winnipeg would need to go 2-0. The Blue Bombers still having an outside chance at the playoffs heading into week 17 is unbelievable.

Calgary has to be the biggest fraud in the CFL though. That's three games they've won now because the other team blew a last second field goal attempt. 10-6 could be 7-9 very easily. If BC doesn't win the Grey Cup there needs to be an investigation. I see one contender in this league, a couple pretenders, and several patsies. Strange season.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
  #180
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,672
vCash: 500
With Ottawa receiving yet another franchise, I sense CFL fans(for the most part) will be watching terrible football. The league can barely supply enough talent as it is.

Auguste Escoffier is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 11:58 PM
  #181
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
With Ottawa receiving yet another franchise, I sense CFL fans(for the most part) will be watching terrible football. The league can barely supply enough talent as it is.
I don't at all agree.

If anything since NFL Europe closed its doors Canadian Clubs have had an unprecedented amount of Defensive giants that have reset the game and made some changes. It looks like theres few great QB's, and less talent because the game is arguably less open, and more controlled and dominated by D.

Combine an increase in Canadian talent, and Canadian players rising to a calibre that can actually play here, or in the NFL, and the CFL has never had so much talent to select from.

I'm not getting what you're saying here. The CFL is brimming over with talent thats rarely been seen to this degree. Its just that more of it seems to be D talent.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 12:02 AM
  #182
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I loved watching that "Snow Bowl" tonight. The elements are an important aspect of the CFL experience. It's a shame that the Roughriders are planning a domed stadium. Seriously? Saskatchewan is trying to move it's team indoors? Bah!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 12:04 AM
  #183
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
We were a botched snap away from missing the playoffs there. If Hamilton had won tonight, I honestly don't think we'd have gotten in. Still nothing guaranteed, but we'd need to go 0-2 and Hamilton or Winnipeg would need to go 2-0. The Blue Bombers still having an outside chance at the playoffs heading into week 17 is unbelievable.

Calgary has to be the biggest fraud in the CFL though. That's three games they've won now because the other team blew a last second field goal attempt. 10-6 could be 7-9 very easily. If BC doesn't win the Grey Cup there needs to be an investigation. I see one contender in this league, a couple pretenders, and several patsies. Strange season.
Like I said earlier Calgary did everything possible to lose that game. Not only do they allow a long Hamilton drive near the end to possibly tie the game, but after the two point convert fails they then gift Hamilton with the weakest defended shortkick I've ever seen. Lets picture this situation. In the ice and snow Hamilton has to kick the ball 10yds to standing Stampeders(pun intended) and somehow recover the ball before a single Calgary players moves one yard to block them out from the ball. All the receiving team in that situation needs to do is control the area. Calgary failed this even before the kick by failing to notice Hamilton converging on one side and Congi telegraphing exactly where its going. Strangely Calgary has 4 players in the spot, the spot everybody knows the kick is going to, and manage to get outnumbered and muscled off the ball.
If I saw a highschool team execute this so poorly I'd boo. Abject incompetence. Possibly the single worst play in the CFL this year and theres been a lot.

But Calgary, despite all incompetence manages to still win the game with a hand from the weather conditions and the horseshoe shoved up their ass.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 12:23 AM
  #184
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Like I said earlier Calgary did everything possible to lose that game. Not only do they allow a long Hamilton drive near the end to possibly tie the game, but after the two point convert fails they then gift Hamilton with the weakest defended shortkick I've ever seen. Lets picture this situation. In the ice and snow Hamilton has to kick the ball 10yds to standing Stampeders(pun intended) and somehow recover the ball before a single Calgary players moves one yard to block them out from the ball. All the receiving team in that situation needs to do is control the area. Calgary failed this even before the kick by failing to notice Hamilton converging on one side and Congi telegraphing exactly where its going. Strangely Calgary has 4 players in the spot, the spot everybody knows the kick is going to, and manage to get outnumbered and muscled off the ball.
If I saw a highschool team execute this so poorly I'd boo. Abject incompetence. Possibly the single worst play in the CFL this year and theres been a lot.

But Calgary, despite all incompetence manages to still win the game with a hand from the weather conditions and the horseshoe shoved up their ass.
That onside kick was pathetic beyond words. But at that point I wasn't surprised. Calgary had the look of a team that subconsciously knew this game was likely to have no bearing on their standing, but would deal a severe blow to Edmonton's playoff chances. They couldn't have cared less if they won or lost tonight. Glad to see that try as they might, they just couldn't avoid doing us a favour.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 07:44 AM
  #185
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
That's so funny Kyle, I thought the exact same thing. I don't know why Calgary would ever mind playing us, we seem to be cursed against them this season.

However, I did say that I at least know where the horseshoes of that idiot horse that runs around the stadium are. Shoved right up the Stamps arses.

Maybe the way this whole thing is unfolding is our destiny. LOL, wouldn't that be funny if we squeaked in and did some damage? Highly unlikely, but why not?

AJGass4 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 08:51 AM
  #186
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
That onside kick was pathetic beyond words. But at that point I wasn't surprised. Calgary had the look of a team that subconsciously knew this game was likely to have no bearing on their standing, but would deal a severe blow to Edmonton's playoff chances. They couldn't have cared less if they won or lost tonight. Glad to see that try as they might, they just couldn't avoid doing us a favour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
That's so funny Kyle, I thought the exact same thing. I don't know why Calgary would ever mind playing us, we seem to be cursed against them this season.

However, I did say that I at least know where the horseshoes of that idiot horse that runs around the stadium are. Shoved right up the Stamps arses.

Maybe the way this whole thing is unfolding is our destiny. LOL, wouldn't that be funny if we squeaked in and did some damage? Highly unlikely, but why not?
My take as well. There seemed to be a little Machiavellian contempt there. Theres been precedent for Calgary teams lying down before when it comes to screwing Edmonton clubs so nothing new.

It fits in with the old precept. In Edmonton its a goal to win championships first and foremost. In Calgary the default position of just beating Edmonton is just fine..

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
  #187
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NsOilFan99 View Post
Boyd's agent says he has rejoined the Eskimos

Charles is injured.


nabob is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 01:40 PM
  #188
Quokka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I loved watching that "Snow Bowl" tonight. The elements are an important aspect of the CFL experience. It's a shame that the Roughriders are planning a domed stadium. Seriously? Saskatchewan is trying to move it's team indoors? Bah!
They aren't. The plan is an open air stadium with a covered spectator area. It will certainly be less windy though.

Quokka is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:10 PM
  #189
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
We were a botched snap away from missing the playoffs there. If Hamilton had won tonight, I honestly don't think we'd have gotten in. Still nothing guaranteed, but we'd need to go 0-2 and Hamilton or Winnipeg would need to go 2-0. The Blue Bombers still having an outside chance at the playoffs heading into week 17 is unbelievable.
There are a lot of if's in your assesment of last night's game in relation to the Eskimos. I think you are flat out wrong. If Hamilton was a better team, they wouldn't be in this situation. On the same note as Calgary, the Esks have lost four games by two points or less. Some teams get those bounces, some teams don't. That's just the type of season it has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
With Ottawa receiving yet another franchise, I sense CFL fans(for the most part) will be watching terrible football. The league can barely supply enough talent as it is.
I can't agree with any thing here either. This league can probably support 10-12 teams. Ottawa will have some growing pains but there is a lot of opportunity there. I mean, just look at the QB position across the league and the Eskimos ability to find defensive players this late in the season. There are a lot of guys out there. The NCAA is simply a machine, they put out so many players every year and maybe 5% of them stick around to play pro football (CFL or NFL).

And Saskachewan has scrapped plans for a domed stadium but whatever they build will be designed to have the option to put in a retractable roof at a later date.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:17 PM
  #190
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
They aren't. The plan is an open air stadium with a covered spectator area. It will certainly be less windy though.
Still lame.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
  #191
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
That onside kick was pathetic beyond words. But at that point I wasn't surprised. Calgary had the look of a team that subconsciously knew this game was likely to have no bearing on their standing, but would deal a severe blow to Edmonton's playoff chances. They couldn't have cared less if they won or lost tonight. Glad to see that try as they might, they just couldn't avoid doing us a favour.
The game was important to Calgary as they had to win to wrap up a home playoff date. It was important to Glenn as well as he wanted to prove to Hamilton that getting rid of him as a mistake.

Other than that if they lose all their games from now on they are still in the playoffs.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
  #192
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Esks just have to win one and they're in and they can still tie down third place in the West. Interestingly enough both Winnipeg and Hamilton can still catch Toronto. What a gong show the Argos are in their Grey Cup hosting year.
4 teams are still in contention to make or break getting into the playoffs as of now. Next week one of Hamilton or Winnipeg will be knocked out as they play each other. If the game ends in a OT tie then both will be knocked out which would be nice. I think if Hamilton ties Toronto they have the tiebreaker?

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
  #193
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
4 teams are still in contention to make or break getting into the playoffs as of now. Next week one of Hamilton or Winnipeg will be knocked out as they play each other. If the game ends in a OT tie then both will be knocked out which would be nice. I think if Hamilton ties Toronto they have the tiebreaker?
It comes down to the final game of the year between Hamilton and Toronto. If Hamilton wins, the season series would be tied 2-2. After that I believe it would come down to points for and against...?

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM
  #194
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
There are a lot of if's in your assesment of last night's game in relation to the Eskimos. I think you are flat out wrong. If Hamilton was a better team, they wouldn't be in this situation. On the same note as Calgary, the Esks have lost four games by two points or less. Some teams get those bounces, some teams don't. That's just the type of season it has been.
If Hamilton had won last night they'd have six wins, with Winnipeg visiting them next week. So probably 7 wins heading into the final week. Which means we'd have to win at least one more game to get the crossover, possibly both in a worst-case scenario. I'd put our chances of winning one more game at 50/50. Next week in Montreal is a near-certain loss, and the Stampeders have had horseshoes up their ass all season and could very well win here in the season finale. As it stands now, we need just one of four games to go our way. Calgary will be resting starters in the finale now that they've wrapped up home field, so I'm more confident that we can win that game than if the Stamps still had something to play for.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
  #195
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Pathetic performance by the Esks. It wasn't all on Joseph, however. He got little support. The line was horrible and Joseph was running for his life all night. The coaches were very disappointed and are finding out who can play and who can't. There may be some changes.

Reilly was very good. He'd look great in green and gold.

We'll get several players back in the last two weeks, including Howard. He's ready to go but I think they'll rest him next week for some more recovery time and play him in week 18 to prep for the playoffs.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:37 AM
  #196
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Pathetic performance by the Esks. It wasn't all on Joseph, however. He got little support. The line was horrible and Joseph was running for his life all night. The coaches were very disappointed and are finding out who can play and who can't. There may be some changes.

Reilly was very good. He'd look great in green and gold.

We'll get several players back in the last two weeks, including Howard. He's ready to go but I think they'll rest him next week for some more recovery time and play him in week 18 to prep for the playoffs.
The O-line cost us the BC game. Never know what to expect from them as they protected the QB well in the two prior wins. Matt O'Donnell didn't play well so I hope he is not a bust.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 08:51 AM
  #197
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,552
vCash: 448
I missed the 4th quarter, bad time fall asleep I guess.

Did however see how Hamilton loss and that's got to hurt.

So much for the whole releasing Boyd is stupid because someone can get injured.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
  #198
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I missed the 4th quarter, bad time fall asleep I guess.

Did however see how Hamilton loss and that's got to hurt.

So much for the whole releasing Boyd is stupid because someone can get injured.

I think you picked the perfect time to snooze, considering the Lions blew the game wide open in the 4th.


Anyone know where McCarty is?

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
  #199
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Anyone know where McCarty is?
McCarty is one of seven players who are about ready to return and should be ready to go before the playoffs, if we're in the show.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
  #200
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Really looking forward to seeing Boyd get a real good shot at being the feature back here now. Not sure what's up with Messam, but he looks a little disinterested/holding back for some reason.

Moneypuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.