HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 3.0 - Unbelievable++ Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I find Gally is trying to be a playmaker on the Sting, but his mates just are not on the same level mentally as him. I also find he is not trying to do end-to-end rushes like he did in his first season. I would like to see him just take over the game individually.

I also dont like the fact that Galchenyuk plays wing quite often. I think that he needs to be the center because he dictates what happens with the puck more often than not. Last night against Kitchener they were tying to set him up for shots but they simply had a hard time getting him the puck.

Last edited by Rise from the Ashes: 10-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 03:09 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Well thats highly debatable, especially considering Galchenyuk is still only playing in the CHL.
I'd take Galchenyuk's side in that debate. Plekanec is about as creative as a mud-brick with the puck. I love pleky for what he is, but a creative playmaker with elite vision he is not. Maybe Pleky can teach Galchenyuk the "skate to the goal-line then wild spinorama pass through the slot that NEVER works," move.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:21 PM
macavoy

Is here a good chance that Galy gets traded to a contender mid season? How high is that chance?

Old
10-21-2012, 03:23 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Is here a good chance that Galy gets traded to a contender mid season? How high is that chance?
Depends on the Sting's record heading into the WJC, methinks. I'd say probable, a team like London tends to gamble their future constantly, but they recover every time.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:26 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
There might be a chance.

Sarnia already lost Yakupov for nothing and they aren't exactly in the best situation going into the future. Other than Goldobin and DeAngelo they don't have much to speak of future wise. On the flip side, he's easily their best player and their captain, he could also be back for a final year in OHL as well. It's hard to say this early on.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
NotProkofievian

Isn't Galchenyuk's dad the assistant coach of the sting, as well?

Old
10-21-2012, 04:18 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
There might be a chance.

Sarnia already lost Yakupov for nothing and they aren't exactly in the best situation going into the future. Other than Goldobin and DeAngelo they don't have much to speak of future wise. On the flip side, he's easily their best player and their captain, he could also be back for a final year in OHL as well. It's hard to say this early on.
I haven't watched the Sting play but from the highlights and comments on the board, I can assume the Sting will not have a long playoff run. They should trade Gally at the WJC so they don't lose him like Yakupov and Stamkos.
I think a team like Guelph might want to gamble on Galchenyuk. They have great wingers but no #1 centre. Gally with Kosmachuk and Dickinson would be pretty sweet.

The only thing that might stop it is Gally's dad being assistant coach.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:52 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I'd take Galchenyuk's side in that debate. Plekanec is about as creative as a mud-brick with the puck. I love pleky for what he is, but a creative playmaker with elite vision he is not. Maybe Pleky can teach Galchenyuk the "skate to the goal-line then wild spinorama pass through the slot that NEVER works," move.
Haha, Agree with everything mentioned. Plekanec, is a turnover machine 5 on 5. He is highly overrated in my eyes. There is a reason why his career statistics have fluctuated greatly throughout his career, he is incapable of making those around him better. He is good, if those around him are good.

A true elite Center will make those around him better. This fits Gally's skill level, and not Plekanecs.

I am not a big FAN of Plekanec, I will admit it. I have watched games and watching him closely . Countless times he gets second assists which only pads stats but was not involved in the play.

+ I love how those who are mentioning Galchenyuk as a consistent 60-70 points Center in the NHL, are comparing him to Plekanec. Hate to break it to you but hes only fallen in the 60-70 point bracket for two seasons of his seven year NHL Career.

Last edited by HabsPassion: 10-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 06:01 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Haha, Agree with everything mentioned. Plekanec, is a turnover machine 5 on 5. He is highly overrated in my eyes. There is a reason why his career statistics have fluctuated greatly throughout his career, he is incapable of making those around him better. He is good, if those around him are good.

A true elite Center will make those around him better. This fits Gally's skill level, and not Plekanecs.

I am not a big FAN of Plekanec, I will admit it. I have watched games and watching him closely . Countless times he gets second assists which only pads stats but was not involved in the play.
Absolute BS.

Plekanec's production has fluctuated because his role has fluctuated, with the exception of 2008-09 when he had a genuine down-year. His fluctuations are not even that big.

He's been able to produce 60 point seasons playing with guys like Maxim Lapierre and Travis Moen.

Last year, he produced 52 points playing with plugs like Ryan White, with disproportionate defensive zone faceoffs, up against the league's best players as opposition. I remember at one point, Cunneyworth the braintrust put out a line of Staubitz-Plekanec-White. Do you actually think Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin could make Ryan White produce at a top-6 clip?

Conversely, in 2001-2011, he was briefly second in the NHL in assists. He finished with 70 points when he played with Cammalleri and AK46.

Bottom line is that he's at worst a top-20 center in the NHL for offensive ability, and his two-way ability, physiological sturdiness, and PK effectiveness raise his value further.

Last edited by DAChampion: 10-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 06:11 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Absolute BS.

Plekanec's production has fluctuated because his role has fluctuated, with the exception of 2008-09 when he had a genuine down-year. His fluctuations are not even that big.

He's been able to produce 60 point seasons playing with guys like Maxim Lapierre and Travis Moen.

Last year, he produced 52 points playing with plugs like Ryan White, with disproportionate defensive zone faceoffs, up against the league's best players as opposition. I remember at one point, Cunneyworth the braintrust put out a line of Staubitz-Plekanec-White. Do you actually think Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin could make Ryan White produce at a top-6 clip?

Conversely, in 2001-2011, he was briefly second in the NHL in assists. He finished with 70 points when he played with Cammalleri and AK46.

Bottom line is that he's at worst a top-20 center in the NHL for offensive ability, and his two-way ability and PK effectiveness raise his value further.
BS you say?

1. His average TOI for the past 5 seasons has not gone lower then 17:15. That is first/second line minutes for your information.

2. Toughest opponents? I cant find the statistics on the board as im typing this reply, but there has been reports specifically saying Eller played against the toughest opponents throughout the season.

3. You mention a certain Joe Thornton. Does Jonathan Cheechoo, former rocket richard winner, who no longer plays in the NHL come to mind? Is he a PLUG also? + Henrik Sedin has produced with every single winger he has got. Burrows is by no stretch a sniper, or elite level forward and look what Henrik has done for his career.

4. Camalleri and AK46, two snipers. Exactly my point, if he does not have elite level shooters on his line, his totals go down. He does not make unbelievable passes that allows others to score, he simply gets them the puck. He was also on a line with either Bourque/Ak46 or Gionta. Failed to produce with any.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:23 PM
NotProkofievian

I wouldn't go as far as HabsPassion did. As I said, I love pleky for what he is. There are skills which Plekanec simply does not have, though, which Galchenyuk has. Furthermore, I don't believe that Galchenyuk will be settled with the PK burden that Plekanec is.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
BS you say?

1. His average TOI for the past 5 seasons has not gone lower then 17:15. That is first/second line minutes for your information.

2. Toughest opponents? I cant find the statistics on the board as im typing this reply, but there has been reports specifically saying Eller played against the toughest opponents throughout the season.

3. You mention a certain Joe Thornton. Does Jonathan Cheechoo, former rocket richard winner, who no longer plays in the NHL come to mind? Is he a PLUG also? + Henrik Sedin has produced with every single winger he has got. Burrows is by no stretch a sniper, or elite level forward and look what Henrik has done for his career.

4. Camalleri and AK46, two snipers. Exactly my point, if he does not have elite level shooters on his line, his totals go down. He does not make unbelievable passes that allows others to score, he simply gets them the puck. He was also on a line with either Bourque/Ak46 or Gionta. Failed to produce with any.
1+2) Tomas Plekanec has averaged 17 minutes or so per game, but he has done so as a shutdown center. His corsi rating was +0.727. Eller was at +0.429, Desharnais was at +0.007, and Gomez had -0.820. Plekanec played the toughest minutes on the team of all the centers. He also had an offensive zone percentage of only 43%, compared to 48% for Eller, 52% for Desharnais, and 64% for Gomez (lol).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Also, between 2 and 3 of those 17 minutes are on the PK.

3) Jonathan Chechoo was a 1-season wonder who got derailed by injuries. Let's not say Thornton made him a rocket richard winner, if that was true the rocket richard winner would be on Thornton's wing every year.

4) AK46 is a 20 goal scorer and Cammalleri is a 25 goal scorer. They're not "elite-level", they're 2nd line on most teams in the NHL. AK46 is actually even less than that as no team wanted to sign him for more than peanuts.

Nobody could produce with Bourque this past season. Did you not watch the games? I saw Bourque fan on beautiful passes nearly everytime I watched him play. He's washed-up. He's lost his finishing ability.

Plekanec, however, has produced with Gionta.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
BS you say?

Jonathon Cheechoo was a good player, Sedin plays with Sedin. Plekanec is no superstar but he's good enough right now.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I guess I'll simplfy it way too much....but a 6'2'' Plekanec would be better than he actually is....and would rack more points.

So Gally is "just" a Plekanec? Fine with me. A 6'2'' Plekanec with an incredible shot and great physical presence to add with the complete awareness of a game? Wow....can't wait.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I guess I'll simplfy it way too much....but a 6'2'' Plekanec would be better than he actually is....and would rack more points.

So Gally is "just" a Plekanec? Fine with me. A 6'2'' Plekanec with an incredible shot and great physical presence to add with the complete awareness of a game? Wow....can't wait.
Galchenyuk is 6 feet and three quarters of an inch.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:

+ I love how those who are mentioning Galchenyuk as a consistent 60-70 points Center in the NHL, are comparing him to Plekanec. Hate to break it to you but hes only fallen in the 60-70 point bracket for two seasons of his seven year NHL Career.

You forgot to say he's a little girl, because he said it once.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Andy

Lol at everyone. Gally will be just fine guys. His talent is so apparent, he really is the last prospect I'd worry about. He's playing on a team with no structure and he's the guy teams watch. Watch any game and you see the vision, the shot, the positioning on the ice, knowing where to go to get open, but most importantly, Gally is such an engaged offensive player, not afraid of one on one battles, tough on his feet and aggresive puck chaser.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Et le But

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Galchenyuk for same reasons I made last season re: upside. RT @lazyboyy: @coreypronman last year's Galchenyuk vs this year's Monahan

Old
10-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Andy like I said earlier, as he is playing wing, his mates are trying to set him up and they are not doing a very good job of it. I think he should be playing center every game. Talent and awareness are not his problems.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
muzion

Quote:

+1, this is how I've always felt about Plekanec, plus he's horrible at working the cycle, and he loses most one-on-one battles in the offensive zone.

People like to talk about his lack of offensive zone starts, but fact of the matter is Desharnais, after the 1st month, won a higher % of faceoffs in the o-zone and was a more effective center. Coaches saw that and played him accordingly.

Galchenyuk has incredible hands and is an outstanding playmaker, for these reasons alone he will be better offensive threat than Plekanec.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Ive no prob with this, injuries usually happens when players are tired and Gally is just coming back from a very very bad injury missing almost 1 year of action, thats the proper way to do and thats why Gally's production has to be took with a grain of salt.. If Gally was playing more he would get more points no doubt but Im fine with bringing him back slowly, the last thing Habs need is Galcheyuk re injure his knee, the sky would fall for everyone one of us..
Exactly.

People are not looking at the positive...his knee looks fine (knock on wood). This season should be about the strength of his knee and testing it...everything looks good (knock on wood).

And, comparisons to....Kopitar, Marian Hossa, J.Toews, Parise...gotta love it!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-22-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
1+2) Tomas Plekanec has averaged 17 minutes or so per game, but he has done so as a shutdown center. His corsi rating was +0.727. Eller was at +0.429, Desharnais was at +0.007, and Gomez had -0.820. Plekanec played the toughest minutes on the team of all the centers. He also had an offensive zone percentage of only 43%, compared to 48% for Eller, 52% for Desharnais, and 64% for Gomez (lol).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Also, between 2 and 3 of those 17 minutes are on the PK.

3) Jonathan Chechoo was a 1-season wonder who got derailed by injuries. Let's not say Thornton made him a rocket richard winner, if that was true the rocket richard winner would be on Thornton's wing every year.

4) AK46 is a 20 goal scorer and Cammalleri is a 25 goal scorer. They're not "elite-level", they're 2nd line on most teams in the NHL. AK46 is actually even less than that as no team wanted to sign him for more than peanuts.

Nobody could produce with Bourque this past season. Did you not watch the games? I saw Bourque fan on beautiful passes nearly everytime I watched him play. He's washed-up. He's lost his finishing ability.

Plekanec, however, has produced with Gionta.
You are thoroughly spanking this guy......

I would like to add however, that the main reason that Cheechoo had the one huge season is it was the season in which all of the new interference rules were implemented and Thornton was able to exploit all of the new passing lanes that were available. Teams have since adjusted to the new system and this is the reason that there were so many career years that season as Gomez and Gionta also took full advantage.

Also, as much as I hated the way Bourque played last season it would be very premature to say that he is washed up. He still has the physical tools but it has been suggested in the past that he deals with depression issues......I am not so sure that Montreal is the place for him.

Anyhow....go back to thrashing HabsPassion's arguements. It is like watching a one legged man in an *** kicking contest

Old
10-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Galchenyuk is 6 feet and three quarters of an inch.
http://www.sarniasting.com/roster/li...r/2011/team/17

I guess the Sarnia Sting site is incorrect then.....or is it?

Old
10-22-2012, 05:55 AM
DAChampion

Quote:

My measurement is from the combine and widely discussed on this site.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:57 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

He's 6'1

Closed Thread