HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
What risk? His size? So would you still draft players like Colborne, Beach, Hodgson, Bailey, and so on over Eberle in 08? They all had really good junior/college careers and are safe picks. Maybe just maybe Hodgson makes an impact even near what Eberle does NOW. After the top few pics, there were maybe 2-3 players drafted that will have an impact like Eberle.
No one could have expected a cheap hit and one to have the effect this one did. How many first round picks would it take to acquire Eberle? How many quality players to get him? It's hard Enough getting an impact player in the first round so you go for it when you believe one is there...otherwise you collect borderline players. If you draft 4 times in the first round and go high risk high reward, you have a better chance landing one or more impact players than trading those 4 picks for an impact player of Eberle's level. Avs did good getting Wolski, Stewart, and Shattenkirk (Sbisa was the 08 pick). Would all 4 get you Eberle? What if the Avs drafted Eberle in 08? Sure players look good now (few years after the draft) but who would be the better player if everything works out?
No, the fact that he had a proven laundry list of injury issues pre-draft.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No, the fact that he had a proven laundry list of injury issues pre-draft.
Was it a laundry list? I thought he just had two injuries, the one that took him out the season before his draft year and another minor one, but it's been a while so I'm probably forgetting some.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Was it a laundry list? I thought he just had two injuries, the one that took him out the season before his draft year and another minor one, but it's been a while so I'm probably forgetting some.
I remember it being a broken foot for blocking a shot and another minor one.

Of course smaller players are more vulnerable to hits to the head, but I don't know if that was what was intended in the earlier post.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
electricjib

I'm still hopeful he can come back, but maybe there are doubts. I half way feel this is why we acquired Sgarbossa, and drafted every 5'10" center avaliable in the draft this year.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
I'm still hopeful he can come back, but maybe there are doubts. I half way feel this is why we acquired Sgarbossa, and drafted every 5'10" center avaliable in the draft this year.
They did seem to acquire smaller players but only Bourke is 5'10". A lot of them are 5'11"-6' and 180-190 pounds with Heard being the tallest at 6'1".

Old
10-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Kloparren
Hth

No he played 36 games and then got injured that season. He was already considered an injury risk when he was drafted. Like I said, we needed a safe pick there since it was a mid-round one and we could've used a winger even back then. Hishon I've actually seen play well on the wing and I'm as big of a fan of his game as anyone else here, loved watching his stupid him on his OS team beat my Mississauga team in the OHL finals. But you were nervous as soon as they drafted him...I know Galchenyuk missed the entire year but I would've been okay with taking that risk on a guy like Galchenyuk maybe who's fairly high end or some guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. With that 10-30, I woulda just preferred someone safe.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I don't think we were in the position to be taking that kind of risk at stage of our rebuild. There were a number of players with similar upside to Hishon that were safer picks at that point.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and without the concussion I'm sure he would have become a good player for us but it was definitely a risky pick to begin as well.

I agree with others that even healthy, IDK that I take Hishon over guys like Etem or Bjugstad.

We began the rebuild at the 09 draft, but essentially have nothing from the first rounds of 2010 or 2012. Now obviously Varly was a big piece for us but its still obviously not ideal for a team square in the middle of their rebuild. I don't consider our second 1st in 2011 to compensate for this because we essentially acquired it for Shattenkirk

Old
10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I am a huge Coyle fan, but the only two players I would take over Hishon is Kuznetsov and Bjugstad. What Avs liked in Joey was his vision with the puck, but away from the puck as well. He probably has a better defensive game than majority of the players taken after him (except perhaps Watson).

Old
10-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
You know I've always wondered, why wasn't Calvin Pickard on any of the Canadian WJC teams?

Old
10-20-2012, 09:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

^ For some reason Hockey Canada just doesn't care about Avs prospects, the only one to ever make a camp and get cut was Hishon.

Also Smith already has a three point night in the middle of the game and I just saw his picture on WHL.ca and he looks just like Crosby, LOL.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
You know I've always wondered, why wasn't Calvin Pickard on any of the Canadian WJC teams?
He's a goalie. Hard to make a team with only two spots and tons of goalies to pick from.

But you will probably hear "politics" a lot with who makes and doesn't make the team.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also Smith already has a three point night in the middle of the game and I just saw his picture on WHL.ca and he looks just like Crosby, LOL.

Mix of Tootoo and Crosby?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

So now that we have a bit more of a preview of our new boys, which ones do you think we will end up signing?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
So now that we have a bit more of a preview of our new boys, which ones do you think we will end up signing?
Bourke and Smith. Too early to tell with the others. It will depend some on what they and guys like Condon, Meurs, etc. do this year and next in some cases. It's a numbers game from now on with so many viable prospects in the system and so few contract "spots".

Old
10-21-2012, 02:09 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
^ For some reason Hockey Canada just doesn't care about Avs prospects, the only one to ever make a camp and get cut was Hishon.

What about Barrie?

Old
10-21-2012, 03:49 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

People whinning about Avs selecting Joey on the count of his pre draft injuries would have a point if he re-sparined his MCL or if he broke his foot again, but he didn't, infact he dominated the OHL both during the regular season play and during postseason. It's not his or Pracey's fault he got done in by a cheap shot artist.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
Brick I totally forgot about him, haha.

I was doing some more research and it also sounds like we invited Alexander Gudbranson and Cameron Brace to our training camp as well. Let's hope we can still invite them because I would love to see JC Lipon and Cameron Brace who are having great seasons so far.

Who expire in the offseason,

Dillon Donnelly
Garrett Meurs
Joachim Nermark
Gabriel Beaupre (signed AHL contract)

Very short list, but I believe Meurs and Nermark will be signed to ELCs. I have no clue what Avs will do with Donnelly because he is a solid defensive defender, but we have Beaupre (who will be signed) and Siemens. Also I think we will sign Nathan Condon as well. Even though his rights expire in 2014.

Last edited by S E P H: 10-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Mix of Tootoo and Crosby?

I see a little bit of Cumiskey...

Old
10-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
We have a lot of guys in the AHL that will be gone by the time the 2012 draftees are signed that it won't be a problem.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
People whinning about Avs selecting Joey on the count of his pre draft injuries would have a point if he re-sparined his MCL or if he broke his foot again, but he didn't, infact he dominated the OHL both during the regular season play and during postseason. It's not his or Pracey's fault he got done in by a cheap shot artist.
I think the talk about him being a risk is in relation to his size, and that he may have a reckless playing style that his body isn't really suited for.

It was as much of a cheap shot, as it was Joey skating through the middle of the ice with his head down. It reminded me of the Moore hit on Naslund. These are the risks with smaller players. What part of their body is going to get hit if their leaning over slightly, or if they're looking down?

Old
10-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...rable-mentions

Elliott isn't even an honorable mention...

Old
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

Maybe we have to face the fact that he isn't so good.....
The most pointless comment ever?

Last edited by Nzap: 10-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I think it's because our writer isn't that involved, I swear all he does is a AHL update, junior update, top 20 in September/April and that is all. Hides back in his hole, hahaha.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

These lists always make me smile. They are just rubbish, really.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I can see the argument for not putting Elliot in the top 50, if HF happens to be really down on him - it is possible, after all, that he doesn't pan out. The thing that makes it funny is that in all likelihood their assessment has little to do with it, if they've even seen him enough to judge. Avs prospects always fly under the radar and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Not getting an honorable mention is pretty silly though, especially when you include players like Tomas freaking Jurco

Closed Thread