HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leadership in 5 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2012, 10:02 PM
  #26
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity
 
Tyskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
C - Spezza
A - Karlsson
A- Cowen

With Noeson next in line.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
  #27
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
In five years Spezza may not be around. And for that matter, Phillips and Neil may not be either.

The leaders will likely be players who have worn the C at some other level of hockey. So that would leave:

Cowen
Stone
Silfverberg
Smith
Boroweicki

I could also see players like Karlsson, Turris, Dziurzynski, Hoffman, Zibanejad and Noesen being considered as alternates/assistant captains.


My guess is that if MacLean is still the coach, Cowen becomes captain, Karlsson gets an A and one of Stone, Smith or Turris gets the other A.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:18 PM
  #28
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,433
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
In five years Spezza may not be around. And for that matter, Phillips and Neil may not be either.

The leaders will likely be players who have worn the C at some other level of hockey. So that would leave:

Cowen
Stone
Silfverberg
Smith
Boroweicki

I could also see players like Karlsson, Turris, Dziurzynski, Hoffman, Zibanejad and Noesen being considered as alternates/assistant captains.


My guess is that if MacLean is still the coach, Cowen becomes captain, Karlsson gets an A and one of Stone, Smith or Turris gets the other A.
I find it highly unlikely that Spezza isn't around in 5 years. Same goes for Neil and Phillips if they are still playing

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  #29
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
In five years Spezza may not be around. And for that matter, Phillips and Neil may not be either.

The leaders will likely be players who have worn the C at some other level of hockey. So that would leave:

Cowen
Stone
Silfverberg
Smith
Boroweicki

I could also see players like Karlsson, Turris, Dziurzynski, Hoffman, Zibanejad and Noesen being considered as alternates/assistant captains.


My guess is that if MacLean is still the coach, Cowen becomes captain, Karlsson gets an A and one of Stone, Smith or Turris gets the other A.
Why Cowen but not Karlsson?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:34 PM
  #30
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Why Cowen but not Karlsson?
I don't think Karlsson has ever captained a team before. Besides that, Cowen seems like a vocal leader and will likely stand out offensively defensively and physically as a pro. He has the potential to be somewhat like Pronger, Chara and Weber. All three guys, as does Cowen, seem to embody all the characteristics that make a good captain.

Karlsson is a phenomenal talent, but he doesn't stand out as the captain type. Maybe he is more vocal than I am giving him credit for. And overall I am not a fan of giving a player the captaincy simply based off their skill.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
  #31
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,348
vCash: 50
Cowen doesn't seem like a vocal leader to me.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:37 PM
  #32
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I don't think Karlsson has ever captained a team before. Besides that, Cowen seems like a vocal leader and will likely stand out offensively defensively and physically as a pro. He has the potential to be somewhat like Pronger, Chara and Weber. All three guys, as does Cowen, seem to embody all the characteristics that make a good captain.

Karlsson is a phenomenal talent, but he doesn't stand out as the captain type. Maybe he is more vocal than I am giving him credit for. And overall I am not a fan of giving a player the captaincy simply based off their skill.
I'm sure Karlsson is just as vocal if not more than Alfie.

Karlsson will be the face of the team for 10-15 years. He's winner and a true pro. Cowen's a good guy, but will always take a backseat to Karlsson.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:37 PM
  #33
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I find it highly unlikely that Spezza isn't around in 5 years. Same goes for Neil and Phillips if they are still playing
I don't think Spezza is the type of player that will age well. In five years Spezza will be 34, and he will likely won't have nearly the impact he has at this point. I see Spezza either leaving to another team through his own volition or being traded by the sens as he ages. I would be surprised if he retires as a sen.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
  #34
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I'm sure Karlsson is just as vocal if not more than Alfie.

Karlsson will be the face of the team for 10-15 years. He's winner and a true pro. Cowen's a good guy, but will always take a backseat to Karlsson.
I doubt it. Cowen could be a beast in a few years. Besides, this isn't a one player team. The Murray's have drafted well and the sens will be recognized for their core (turris, zibanejad,stone, Noesen, Lehner, Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci) rather than just one player.

And Alfie isn't a vocal leader so that isn't a good example.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
  #35
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
Right now I don't see Karlsson in a leadership role. Maybe in time he will mature enough to grow into it, but right now, he's a little ********* in my opinion.

I like his game a lot, but he has a long way to go in the other aspects of being a pro player, and fan ambassador. I've seen him blow off little kids asking for autographs.

I saw Don Brennan mention that he saw the same thing but he wouldn't say who it was due to his "already rocky relationship" with said player, but as soon as I read it, I knew it was EK.

Seriously...what kind of jackass blows off little kids. He was parading around with some agent or something, not like he was in a hurry to get anywhere.

I'm not saying he'll never get there, but he sure isn't on the right path right now.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
  #36
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Right now I don't see Karlsson in a leadership role. Maybe in time he will mature enough to grow into it, but right now, he's a little ********* in my opinion.

I like his game a lot, but he has a long way to go in the other aspects of being a pro player, and fan ambassador. I've seen him blow off little kids asking for autographs.

I saw Don Brennan mention that he saw the same thing but he wouldn't say who it was due to his "already rocky relationship" with said player, but as soon as I read it, I knew it was EK.

Seriously...what kind of jackass blows off little kids. He was parading around with some agent or something, not like he was in a hurry to get anywhere.

I'm not saying he'll never get there, but he sure isn't on the right path right now.
Cool story Holmes.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
  #37
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
Hey I don't care if you believe it or not. I saw it at the Sensplex earlier in the summer.

Guys like Alfie and Phillips would NEVER pull that with fans. Real leaders.

Just because he is probably our best player doesn't mean that he doesn't need to improve in some areas. A little thing like signing a freaking autograph for a couple of little kids is not a lot to ask from a guy fortunate enough to be in the position he's in.


Last edited by John Holmes*: 10-21-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added a few lines.
John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:48 PM
  #38
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I doubt it. Cowen could be a beast in a few years. Besides, this isn't a one player team. The Murray's have drafted well and the sens will be recognized for their core (turris, zibanejad,stone, Noesen, Lehner, Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci) rather than just one player.

And Alfie isn't a vocal leader so that isn't a good example
.
that's my point. You said Cowen is more vocal, well that doesn't necessarily mean he will/should be the captain.

I don't believe there is a single Sens prospect who is better offensively than Karlsson. If Karlsson leads the team in scoring most years as a defenseman and continues to get Norris nominations, the Sens will not be recognized for their core.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
  #39
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
that's my point. You said Cowen is more vocal, well that doesn't necessarily mean he will/should be the captain.

I don't believe there is a single Sens prospect who is better offensively than Karlsson. If Karlsson leads the team in scoring most years as a defenseman and continues to get Norris nominations, the Sens will not be recognized for their core.
IMO (and remember this is just my opinion) the better captains in the league and throughout the history of the league were vocal leaders. Personally I think this organization has always needed a vocal rah rah type of leader and would have a better chance of winning a cup with a bunch of rah rah kind of guys. I also feel that a guy like Paul MacLean would likely share my view (at least to some extent) and would likely appoint a leadership core that is a reflection of what he thinks a good leader is.

I feel that it isn't a good decision to make a player captain simply based off his on ice play. IMO Ovechkin is a bad captain and never should have been named captain. He has a surplus of skill, he simply just doesn't embody the leadership qualities. I feel that Karlsson shares some similarities with Ovechkin in that he has a ton of skill but doesn't necessarily embody the characteristics of a leader. Again, this is simply an opinion, I have yet to see or hear anything that would allow me to infer that Karlsson would be a good captain.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
  #40
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
IMO (and remember this is just my opinion) the better captains in the league and throughout the history of the league were vocal leaders. Personally I think this organization has always needed a vocal rah rah type of leader and would have a better chance of winning a cup with a bunch of rah rah kind of guys. I also feel that a guy like Paul MacLean would likely share my view (at least to some extent) and would likely appoint a leadership core that is a reflection of what he thinks a good leader is.

I feel that it isn't a good decision to make a player captain simply based off his on ice play. IMO Ovechkin is a bad captain and never should have been named captain. He has a surplus of skill, he simply just doesn't embody the leadership qualities. I feel that Karlsson shares some similarities with Ovechkin in that he has a ton of skill but doesn't necessarily embody the characteristics of a leader. Again, this is simply an opinion, I have yet to see or hear anything that would allow me to infer that Karlsson would be a good captain.
True about Ovechkin, though Ovie is fat, while Karlsson is very dedicated to training.

I guess it sort of makes sense to want your captain to engage phsyically because you want the rest to follow suit. Karlsson just plays a different way than most players, so leading by example is not very effective haha. ''Do what Karlsson does'' - ''Are you frikin crazy?!''

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
  #41
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,433
vCash: 1322
Although it would be as likely as the Leafs winning the Cup I think this would be a good group


C: Greening
A: Smith
A: Neil

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
  #42
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
In five years Spezza may not be around. And for that matter, Phillips and Neil may not be either.

The leaders will likely be players who have worn the C at some other level of hockey. So that would leave:

Cowen
Stone
Silfverberg
Smith
Boroweicki

I could also see players like Karlsson, Turris, Dziurzynski, Hoffman, Zibanejad and Noesen being considered as alternates/assistant captains.


My guess is that if MacLean is still the coach, Cowen becomes captain, Karlsson gets an A and one of Stone, Smith or Turris gets the other A.
The fact that Karlsson is a 21 year old with a Norris and two all-star appearances under his belt gives him an inside track on "next in line". He's loved by his teammates, and he's already been an established presence in the room.

He even lived with the captain for crying out loud. If someone else wants to be the guy, they'll have to make a race out of it pretty quick because the rest have a ways to go before they catch where Karlsson's at.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
  #43
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I don't see Phillips playing in the NHL at 39/40, personally. He's a tweener between 2nd and 3rd pairing as it is right now. I'm a fan of Phillips but I'm not sure if he'll still be keeping up 5 years from now.

One things for sure is that Phillips will be captain as soon as Alfie retires. At least, I feel that's a sure thing.
yeah, if (when) alfie retires, i see two options:

1: no captain.
2. phillips is captain.


i cant imagine anyone else having that burden placed on them immediately after alfie leaves.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
  #44
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
I think you'd probably be in the minority with that opinion. I think there's a much bigger feeling that Spezza will get the C when Alfie retires. Philly is fine with an A. It's just like Neil will probably never be a full time assistant captain for this team but there's no denying that he is one of the main leaders on this team
I guarantee the organization would recognize the leadership that Phillips has brought to the team for so many years and take notice of his tenure in Ottawa. Spezza will be captain (assuming he's here to stay for the long run) but it will be after Phillips.

I really don't see the organization ignoring the guy who's been an assistant captain for how many seasons now?

EDIT: Just saw danishh's post. 100% agree. I could see the team going to no captain route for a bit. However, I don't see Spezza taking captain over Phillips. Not a chance.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:42 PM
  #45
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
True about Ovechkin, though Ovie is fat, while Karlsson is very dedicated to training.

I guess it sort of makes sense to want your captain to engage phsyically because you want the rest to follow suit. Karlsson just plays a different way than most players, so leading by example is not very effective haha. ''Do what Karlsson does'' - ''Are you frikin crazy?!''
Well that's part of it. I just feel that a captain should have multiple ways to spark his team whether that be a great offensive play, great defensive play, big hit, fight or simply just being a rah rah kind of guy who gives a motivating speech or finds some other way to get his team mates emotionally vested in the game.

Ideally I would like the future captain of the sens to do everything Neil does but also be more of an offensive threat. A guy that really is the heart and soul of the team.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
  #46
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
yeah, if (when) alfie retires, i see two options:

1: no captain.
2. phillips is captain.


i cant imagine anyone else having that burden placed on them immediately after alfie leaves.
What about Neil? He is in many ways the heart and soul of this team. Although I don't know if making a third liner with limited offensive ability captain is the best thing to do.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:47 PM
  #47
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Although it would be as likely as the Leafs winning the Cup I think this would be a good group


C: Greening
A: Smith
A: Neil
Out of cursorily, why would Greening be captain over the other two?

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:48 PM
  #48
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
What about Neil? He is in many ways the heart and soul of this team. Although I don't know if making a third liner with limited offensive ability captain is the best thing to do.
Neil isn't even an assistant captain right now. Common sense would suspect that one of the assistants would be promoted and Phillips easily makes the most sense based on experience and tenure.

With that said, this is how I expect the team will run things when Alfie reitres:

C/A: Phillips
A: Spezza
A: Neil

I'm perfectly happy with that leadership group.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
  #49
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Neil isn't even an assistant captain right now. Common sense would suspect that one of the assistants would be promoted and Phillips easily makes the most sense based on experience and tenure.

With that said, this is how I expect the team will run things when Alfie reitres:

C/A: Phillips
A: Spezza
A: Neil

I'm perfectly happy with that leadership group.
Well you also have to consider that it was a different coaching staff who appointed those captains. MacLean may feel that Neil is one of the more prominent leaders on this team. Neil did get to wear the A when one of the other captains were out of the lineup. And I don't think MacLean would have stripped anyone of their captaincy because he felt that another player was a better leader. So Neil not having an A may have been more of having to do with the captains being set prior to MacLean becoming coach.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:12 AM
  #50
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,433
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Out of cursorily, why would Greening be captain over the other two?
You said it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Well that's part of it. I just feel that a captain should have multiple ways to spark his team whether that be a great offensive play, great defensive play, big hit, fight or simply just being a rah rah kind of guy who gives a motivating speech or finds some other way to get his team mates emotionally vested in the game.

Ideally I would like the future captain of the sens to do everything Neil does but also be more of an offensive threat. A guy that really is the heart and soul of the team.
Greening had 9 more points than Neil, and 11 more than Smith (as a rookie too, albeit playing with Spezza and Michalek, however I still think he is better offensively)

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.