HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Man this Google event is going to be massive.
I really hope it is. Not just because I want to see several new Nexus devices and a new OS version, but because it has been hyped up so much from all these rumors that anything less would be a disappointment. I'd love to see something not leaked in the rumors though, like if the 32GB Nexus 7 was a red herring and they actually launched a totally new 7" Nexus tablet.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
I hope they announce a new Nexus phone not made by LG.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I hope they announce a new Nexus phone not made by LG.
LOL, prepare to be disappointed then.

Not like it matters, you have a Gnex!

Old
10-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Osprey

Speaking of 10" Android tablets, I was just reading that Best Buy is coming out with one of their own, under their Insignia brand, on November 11. The interesting thing is that it's rumored to have a price of $239-259. That puts it around the same price as the higher-capacity Nexus 7, yet you get 10" size for that money. Of course, you might be able to find last year's 10" models from name brands like Samsung for $250-299 and the 10" Nexus tablet might not be much more, either, so it's not clear if this is really all that tempting of a device for those in the know, but it's interesting and probably good to see a major retailer adding competition to the budget space, especially at 10".

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/...ntcmp=trending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Good God. I can't wait for Oct 29th now. I've been on the fence about getting a Nexus 7 (I don't have much use for it as I have a Gnex, an e-reader and a laptop) but if these rumours come true, the Nexus 7 should drop in price and I'll have a new shiny gadget.
I wouldn't count on a price reduction for the Nexus 7. As the "Staples" link above suggests, the official prices of the Nexus 7 are expected to be $199 for 16GB and $249 for 32GB. Those prices take effect on October 29th, the day of the Google event that's also announcing the 10" model. The 10" model will probably be available in mid/late-November (per Google's way), so it'd be strange to change your pricing again just 2-3 weeks after your last change.

What you may be able to do is buy the phased-out 8GB model for cheap or a used Nexus 7 from someone who upgraded to the 10" model, though. I'm just saying that the official price is likely not to change again any time soon.

As for the 10" model pricing, my personal guess is that it could be as low as $299 for 16GB and $349 for 32GB. That would make the 10" $100 more than the 7", which seems reasonable. An alternate possibility could be $329 for 16GB and $379 for 32GB, but with $25 Google Play credit, like the Nexus 7 debuted with. Any more expensive than that, though, and people are more likely to turn to alternatives (like the iPad, iPad Mini, Best Buy's tablet or even just the cheaper Nexus 7).

Last edited by Osprey: 10-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Speaking of 10" Android tablets, I was just reading that Best Buy is coming out with one of their own, under their Insignia brand, on November 11. The interesting thing is that it's rumored to have a price of $239-259. That puts it around the same price as the higher-capacity Nexus 7, yet you get 10" size for that money. Of course, you might be able to find last year's 10" models from name brands like Samsung for $250-299 and the 10" Nexus tablet might not be much more, either, so it's not clear if this is really all that tempting of a device for those in the know, but it's interesting and probably good to see a major retailer adding competition to the budget space, especially at 10".

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/...ntcmp=trending

I wouldn't count on a price reduction for the Nexus 7. As the "Staples" link above suggests, the official prices of the Nexus 7 are expected to be $199 for 16GB and $249 for 32GB. Those prices take effect on October 29th, the day of the Google event that's also announcing the 10" model. The 10" model will probably be available in mid/late-November (per Google's way), so it'd be strange to change your pricing again just 2-3 weeks after your last change.

What you may be able to do is buy the phased-out 8GB model for cheap or a used Nexus 7 from someone who upgraded to the 10" model, though. I'm just saying that the official price is likely not to change again any time soon.

As for the 10" model pricing, my personal guess is that it could be as low as $299 for 16GB and $349 for 32GB. That would make the 10" $100 more than the 7", which seems reasonable. An alternate possibility could be $329 for 16GB and $379 for 32GB, but with $25 Google Play credit, like the Nexus 7 debuted with. Any more expensive than that, though, and people are more likely to turn to alternatives (like the iPad, iPad Mini, Best Buy's tablet or even just the cheaper Nexus 7).
I'd assume they would have to sell their 8Gb models. If not, I think I'd buy the 16Gb regardless. Either way, we will see what will be done in a couple of weeks.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Might not be the best place to ask, but my iPod Touch is dying and I'm thinking of getting a tablet instead to replace it. I use it around the house a lot, not run or anything. However I do use it in my car a lot and I'm not sure how conveniant it would be to have a tablet for this. Doesn't have to be apple, open to anything just looking for some advice

Old
10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
Might not be the best place to ask, but my iPod Touch is dying and I'm thinking of getting a tablet instead to replace it. I use it around the house a lot, not run or anything. However I do use it in my car a lot and I'm not sure how conveniant it would be to have a tablet for this. Doesn't have to be apple, open to anything just looking for some advice
There are plenty of good tablet mounting options for your car out there, and the screen size makes things a lot easier to access. As long as you're not using it while jogging, a tablet is a definite step up from a iPod touch.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If it's really coming to Verizon, awesome sauce .

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3...ecs-rumor-leak

Old
10-21-2012, 08:31 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'm also waiting for the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I'd imagine my current GNex has pretty good resale value.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I'd assume they would have to sell their 8Gb models. If not, I think I'd buy the 16Gb regardless. Either way, we will see what will be done in a couple of weeks.
Oh, OK. My speculation, though, is that there may not even be any 8GB models in stock anywhere by the time that the Nexus 10 is available. Since Google wants to phase it out and place the 16GB at its price point, they probably stopped producing them and are letting stock run out. There may be no official 8GB price, since they won't officially be sold anymore. You may still be able to find some floating around some businesses and on eBay, and they may be priced to sell, so you may be right in that regard.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Elever
Hth

Question....Google Music doesn't work in Canada does it? Because I hear about people using it here but when I try to install it says country not supported.

Two other questions, what's a free no-trial program I can use as a media server within the home mainly for music? It doesn't have to be some cloud service though it would be nice but basically anything that would let me stream music from my laptop or a playlist while I'm using the same wifi connection in the home (not on a data plan)?

And 2nd, what's a good offline app or game that I can get for my dad that has some books or something (he doesn't have a data plan)? For example I know that the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels for the most part are on a downloadable app.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:23 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Question....Google Music doesn't work in Canada does it? Because I hear about people using it here but when I try to install it says country not supported.

Two other questions, what's a free no-trial program I can use as a media server within the home mainly for music? It doesn't have to be some cloud service though it would be nice but basically anything that would let me stream music from my laptop or a playlist while I'm using the same wifi connection in the home (not on a data plan)?

And 2nd, what's a good offline app or game that I can get for my dad that has some books or something (he doesn't have a data plan)? For example I know that the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels for the most part are on a downloadable app.
1- http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/h...e-of-the-unit/

This is what I did to get G Music in Canada. I don't know if it still works or not,however I don't recall doing anything that could be "patched" per say. It's pretty fool proof.

2- All you have to do is associate G Music with your Google Account. After that you can take it anywhere. G Music is also probably the best free music cloud storage I can think of.

3- I have no clue. I still buy physical books from Chapters

Old
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany
You're asking for a book reader app and some books to read in it? Just install the Google Play Books app from the Play Store, then launch it and search for and download some free books (and you may need to access the menu and choose to use the app in offline mode). Alternately, you can try the Kindle app for Android. As a final alternative, you can install a different book reader app, like Aldiko, and then download some free books from The Gutenberg Project and manually put them on your device/card. From one of those sources, you should be able to find a free (and legal) copy of just about any book or story originally published before 1921 or so (like Sherlock Holmes).

Last edited by Osprey: 10-21-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
LOL, prepare to be disappointed then.

Not like it matters, you have a Gnex!
Oh, I know, but I'd be tempted to pick up an HTC or Samsung Nexus if it meant having LTE. Tempted, but I'll probably just wait until next year anyway.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Verizon finally rolled ICS to my Bionic. It's a hell of an upgrade.

10-22-2012, 01:24 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Verizon finally rolled ICS to my Bionic. It's a hell of an upgrade.
Mother ****er. I've been waiting so long for the ICS update for my Droid Incredible 2.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Oh, I know, but I'd be tempted to pick up an HTC or Samsung Nexus if it meant having LTE. Tempted, but I'll probably just wait until next year anyway.
Yeah, at this point I can't go back to a non LTE smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Mother ****er. I've been waiting so long for the ICS update for my Droid Incredible 2.
Not to be a debbie downer but the Bell version never got an OTA update to ICS. The update was done through the HTC Dev site. So most people are stuck on GB.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'm also waiting for the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I'd imagine my current GNex has pretty good resale value.
There doesn't appear to be one. The phone rumored to be the next Samsung Nexus (GT-i9260) is actually going to be a midrange Touchwiz phone designed to look like the GS3.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Sined,

For some reason, yesterday, the debugging mode icon appeared in the status bar, even though I have never put my HTC One S is that mode.

When I expand the bar, there is no detail.

The icon is just stuck in the bar; I restarted my phone, but it doesn't want to go away (WTF).

Any idea ?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Sined,

For some reason, yesterday, the debugging mode icon appeared in the status bar, even though I have never put my HTC One S is that mode.

When I expand the bar, there is no detail.

The icon is just stuck in the bar; I restarted my phone, but it doesn't want to go away (WTF).

Any idea ?
Turn off USB debugging under Settings->Developer Options

Old
10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Turn off USB debugging under Settings->Developer Options
I've never turned it on

Old
10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Amazon is having a sweet sale on SanDisk memory cards. Just bought myself a new 64GB Class 10 for my SGSIII. Just $44.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000844271

It's just pain.
Old
10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Anyone else havea problem with SwiftKey3 where it will sometimes jump around while typing? I browse HF on my phone a lot so when I respond to something it will sometimes replace a word at the top of a paragraph that I've already typed. Its made like 10 "corrections" in this post alone. VERY annoying. I love it otherwise.

Using the trial version on a GS3, but that shouldn't make a difference. Its fully updated too.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:12 PM
awesomo
HARD!

I might upgrade my gnex. But if the phone is lg or Sony I'm out.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I've never turned it on
Turn it on then off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Anyone else havea problem with SwiftKey3 where it will sometimes jump around while typing? I browse HF on my phone a lot so when I respond to something it will sometimes replace a word at the top of a paragraph that I've already typed. Its made like 10 "corrections" in this post alone. VERY annoying. I love it otherwise.

Using the trial version on a GS3, but that shouldn't make a difference. Its fully updated too.
It always has been like that, it's because of how HF (and vBulletin) uses a custom text box for form submitting.

It's something I hope they fix in the future.
It used to be a bug when on Google as well (because of the pre-rendered results) but if I'm not mistaken that's fixed.

Closed Thread