HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 08:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
I just get the idea the Spits are more apt to get blown out than to actually blow out an opponent. As for Maletta that would be surprising since he was hyped as a better version of Nemisz, there's still time but he's certainly not at that level right now.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
OHLTG

Neither would surprise me at this point. Bateman had a ton of hype around him, but I get the impression the team has been looking for Ellis 2.0 and it's far easier said than done. Bateman has potential, but he's so small. Maletta could get going, but he's missing that finishing piece. The tools are there, but will the points catch up?

Old
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
scokan

how can they be showcasing bateman when they hardly play him... I remember last year Bateman was in Jones' doghouse, could that be a carry over into this year?
As I mentioned earlier Maletta needs to show more.. For a 1st round pick that WR was thrilled to land (as was mentioned he was ranked higher from the spits brass) he hasnt really shown alot, IMO he hasnt shown enough to be a considered a true top 6

Old
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
hockeyboy4

anyone think ebert will be traded? and whats peoples thought on the over ager, what one do you guys think will be traded

Old
10-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Another note from the game last night. I do not think Bilcke had one shift the entire game. If he did I missed it and he had no more one or two. Why continue to dress him and sit him on the bench? I know Bateman is a defender but insert him in that last spot, He has some upside to him being a first round pick.
Because the Spits want 40 fights from their tough guys! That is why Bowen is still here and that is why they got Emerson Clark. It's not like they have never told a guy to go out and fight.( or implied) With the ten fight rule they have to stock up on those guys.
Didn't Bilcke start the game the other night and fight 15 seconds in? What was he doing out that early? He did it last year once as well. Clearly a directive from the coach. Where is the league on this?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey43 View Post
Because the Spits want 40 fights from their tough guys! That is why Bowen is still here and that is why they got Emerson Clark. It's not like they have never told a guy to go out and fight.( or implied) With the ten fight rule they have to stock up on those guys.
Didn't Bilcke start the game the other night and fight 15 seconds in? What was he doing out that early? He did it last year once as well. Clearly a directive from the coach. Where is the league on this?
Who cares if Bilcke is out early in the game. Have you actually watched him this year? He's playing the game and not looking for fights. I didn't realize starting a game, as a tough guy, automatically meant he's looking to jump someone.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Who cares if Bilcke is out early in the game. Have you actually watched him this year? He's playing the game and not looking for fights. I didn't realize starting a game, as a tough guy, automatically meant he's looking to jump someone.
So fighting 15 seconds into the game is just a "heat of the moment" fight and not staged? Sure.

Bilcke brings nothing to this team. This whole intimidation thing is a joke as well. He plays on the 4th line against other 4th line players. So who is he intimidating? A 4th line player? And if that were the case he should be scoring every time he gets the puck.

Obviously he's on the team to fight and he's not even good at that! He had an advantage when no one knew he was left handed but now everyone knows it and now he loses the majority of his fights.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:29 AM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Am I missing something here? We all know you have a soft spot for the fighters of the league, but if "playing the game" meant only playing 2-5 shifts a game, I think anyone can "play the game"
The start of the game with erie, was a staged fight make no doubt about it, but BB wasnt all at fault, the otters have to submit there starting lineups first, and after seeing them start a tough guy BB countered. I look at as nothing more than a tempo builder for the home crowd.. Bilke needs to bring more intangibles to the team other than fighting.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Ottomatic

If we move Bateman and Maletta I think we should do so in a package deal in hopes of them being enticing enough 17 yr olds who other clubs might see as first rounders who need a fresh start. We need a top line center and we need an scoring defenceman/PPQB type on this team. Giving up two 17 yr olds, we'd need to be getting an 18 yr old in return though, to guarantee they'd be here next season.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
Am I missing something here? We all know you have a soft spot for the fighters of the league, but if "playing the game" meant only playing 2-5 shifts a game, I think anyone can "play the game"
The start of the game with erie, was a staged fight make no doubt about it, but BB wasnt all at fault, the otters have to submit there starting lineups first, and after seeing them start a tough guy BB countered. I look at as nothing more than a tempo builder for the home crowd.. Bilke needs to bring more intangibles to the team other than fighting.
I agree with all this as I mentioned on Friday the Bilcke fight was all but a staged fight without it actually being called one. What would have happened if Boughner didn't put out Bilcke? I doubt much happens. I am not criticizing Boughner I just don't see much of a role for Bilcke. We have seen Bilcke for over a year now I think we know what he brings to the table and it's not very much.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
If we move Bateman and Maletta I think we should do so in a package deal in hopes of them being enticing enough 17 yr olds who other clubs might see as first rounders who need a fresh start. We need a top line center and we need an scoring defenceman/PPQB type on this team. Giving up two 17 yr olds, we'd need to be getting an 18 yr old in return though, to guarantee they'd be here next season.
Not sure what teams Windsor could target. Maybe Peterborough could be a choice they're struggling and they do have some talented players. Looking at Peterborough was surprised to see Trojanovic as the best statistical D on the Petes. Guys Windsor should be looking at Koekkoek, Murphy, Ritchie, Nosad, Varga. Unfortunately neither of the above mentioned players is a top line center. I'm not sure what top line centers are available unless Windsor is buying low on a guy. Would Kitchener trade Marcantuoni? I think the team does need a face lift of some type it's a cookie cutter team right now.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
anyone think ebert will be traded? and whats peoples thought on the over ager, what one do you guys think will be traded
Ebert has been playing better lately and he's one of the main guys on the back end coaches count on him in all situations, as of now I'd say he's safe. If you have to choose one of the three overagers the most logical choice is E. Clarke, Shoenmakers has produced and has been one of there best forwards, And posa is the captin and is very solid defensively he's been here his whole career so I'd say he's safe.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree with all this as I mentioned on Friday the Bilcke fight was all but a staged fight without it actually being called one. What would have happened if Boughner didn't put out Bilcke? I doubt much happens. I am not criticizing Boughner I just don't see much of a role for Bilcke. We have seen Bilcke for over a year now I think we know what he brings to the table and it's not very much.
I kind of tired of people saying "oh well he only plays 3-5 shifts what possibly can he contribute to the team"

Okay let me explain it this way. If we had Ho-sang on the ice and lets say he's got an extra step that night. Out comes Zweep and Ho-sang starts getting head hunted..hmmm if we had no Bilike, Bowen, Clarke ummm whos going to keep a guy like Zweep in line or put him in the penalty box to keep him away from our players to protect them? Ho-sang ya okay

Bilike, Bowen and a lesser extent Clarke (since he does show some impressive skill) are there for a reason...to play a game of memory match..you put your tough guy we put ours and they both are off the ice so our stars can focus on the game rather than wondering if theyre heads are still on theyre shoulders

Old
10-22-2012, 10:06 AM
OHLTG

I'm beginning to believe Bilcke chirped people on here in person and now they're bitter.

Jackman - do you watch games or are you guessing? Seriously. I'm curious.

Quote:
Bilke needs to bring more intangibles to the team other than fighting.
In Brampton, he was a couple inches from scoring his first of the year. Right in front of me, had a clear shot, and just missed.

Quote:
I am not criticizing Boughner I just don't see much of a role for Bilcke. We have seen Bilcke for over a year now I think we know what he brings to the table and it's not very much.
\

Come to the games, listen to the crowd after a Bilcke hit, THEN tell me he doesn't bring anything. Oh, and "I can hear the crowd on TV and it's not much" isn't the same, trust me.

Quote:
Bilike, Bowen and a lesser extent Clarke are there for a reason...to play a game of memory match..you put your tough guy we put ours and they both are off the ice so our stars can foucs on the game rather than wondering if theyre heads are still on theyre shoulders
(it's Clark, not Clarke LOL)

This is very true, though. Does anyone remember when Janssen was dealt? Chanse Fitzpatrick had a field day with our entire roster. Why? You grow a bit bigger and a bit more fearless when you have someone to protect you. Having Bilcke, Bowen, etc on the bench, regardless of whether they play five minutes or 15 min, is a major confidence boost. Bilcke and the other scrappers sit on the bench a lot more than others, but could be called on in an instant to defend someone. That's invaluable and it's scary how people don't realize this. Value to a team is not just goals and assists, contrary to what people believe.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I kind of tired of people saying "oh well he only plays 3-5 shifts what possibly can he contribute to the team"

Okay let me explain it this way. If we had Ho-sang on the ice and lets say he's got an extra step that night. Out comes Zweep and Ho-sang starts getting head hunted..hmmm if we had no Bilike, Bowen, Clarke ummm whos going to keep a guy like Zweep in line or put him in the penalty box to keep him away from our players to protect them? Ho-sang ya okay

Bilike, Bowen and a lesser extent Clarke (since he does show some impressive skill) are there for a reason...to play a game of memory match..you put your tough guy we put ours and they both are off the ice so our stars can focus on the game rather than wondering if theyre heads are still on theyre shoulders
Your example isn't that good imo. A guy like Zweep doesn't play that much maybe a handful of shifts a game. If the game is in Windsor Boughner isn't going to put Ho-Sang out there against Zweep. Furthermore the coach isn't going to put out Zweep if he sees Ho-Sang out on the ice. The neanderthal era is pretty much over in junior hockey.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

You guys have managed to get this one basically to the 1,000 post limit... so since I happened to stop by just now, I'll start the next one now...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1274143

Closed Thread