Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WJC Russian Roster

Old
10-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
In context, those 6-7-8 players that you reference were all available for the August series of this year. Yes, they all played very well, especially at home in Halifax. I thought it was fairly clear that my reference was to players who would be added to the WJC roster who were not available last year because they were playing in the NHL. To my knowledge, Hopkins was the only one to match that description. If statistical history was relevant, then the august series would have been as lopsided as the one in 2007, when Canada outscored Russia 39-13, and had a 7-0-1 record. This year, total goals scored was 16-16, and while Canada won in OT of the last game to win the series, it was even-up until the very end.
All valid points of course! I'll add only that in the SS in August there was still a little bit of too much experimenting going on on part of the Canadians. More than I would have liked. I get a kick out of those in the biz, both on our side and your side, who think that this is all rocket science and you really got a put a lot of though and consideration into it...when in actual fact it is anything but complicated.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
All valid points of course! I'll add only that in the SS in August there was still a little bit of too much experimenting going on on part of the Canadians. More than I would have liked. I get a kick out of those in the biz, both on our side and your side, who think that this is all rocket science and you really got a put a lot of though and consideration into it...when in actual fact it is anything but complicated.
True, but there was a lot of roster juggling on the Russian side as well, ostensibly for the same reason that motivated Hockey Canada - to see who competes against the level of player who will be present in Ufa.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:01 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
True, but there was a lot of roster juggling on the Russian side as well, ostensibly for the same reason that motivated Hockey Canada - to see who competes against the level of player who will be present in Ufa.
for that matter, considering also his recent hot streak, i guess Tverdokhlebov could be another guy in the mix for a bottom 6 spot on the WJC team.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
It's not rocket science, but it is more complicated then what you make it sound.

It's not just pulling out a statistical sheet and selecting all the top scorers.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
It's not rocket science, but it is more complicated then what you make it sound.

It's not just pulling out a statistical sheet and selecting all the top scorers.
No, it really isn't that complicated. And I'll give you an example using the August Summit Series. I didn't need 5 days of training camp and a 4 game exhibition series to determine that Kevin Roy had no business being anywhere near a NT. The decision to take Kevin Roy was an exercise in time wasting. I can make that assessment in following that player's development over the years, evaluating his play (not stat) play in the league in which he plays compared then 16 year old Nathan Mackinnon. Mackinnon had done more to earn his position on the team, but some choose to over-think, over-analyse things.. fooling some in charge (those who sign their pay chqs) that this is all complicated stuff when it isn't.

Having said that... I wouldn't be surprised if they invite Roy to the December training camp... because they like to complicate things.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:31 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Subway Series roster is out:http://www.allhockey.ru/news/133168/#reviewname

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
This has to be the best roster Russia has ever sent to SSS.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:34 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
what's the scoop on Gimatov, Sukhoruchkin, Lyubushkin, and Baikeev? don't know these players (except for blind stats)

Old
10-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Great to see Nichushkin, Sigarev, Zhafyarov, Kosov, Shalunov and others. The forwards should be really strong for SSS and later, Ufa. The defense corps has experience - let's hope that helps them to play better.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I agree.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
what's the scoop on Gimatov, Sukhoruchkin, Lyubushkin, and Baikeev? don't know these players (except for blind stats)
I only seen Lyubushkin - VHL and Baikeev play. The first one is no real surprise, he gets good minuts in VHL. The 2nd one stands out from MHL competition but not by much.

Don't really know much about the others.

Mikhailov, MHL leader is not on the team. But that's probably because he'll play with the U20 in Europe.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
cska78

Quote:
I only seen Lyubushkin - VHL and Baikeev play. The first one is no real surprise, he gets good minuts in VHL. The 2nd one stands out from MHL competition but not by much.

Don't really know much about the others.

Mikhailov, MHL leader is not on the team. But that's probably because he'll play with the U20 in Europe.
that, and if you look at the roster for Lisy, you understand that they reach success with a whole bunch of overages, who never gonna be effective in the big leagues. Kinda defeats the purpose of the MHL and at the same time (possibly???) inflates Mikhailov's performance.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
that, and if you look at the roster for Lisy, you understand that they reach success with a whole bunch of overages, who never gonna be effective in the big leagues. Kinda defeats the purpose of the MHL and at the same time (possibly???) inflates Mikhailov's performance.
Ye, I agree. Mikhailov's stats are, at least, slightly overblown. From the Steel foxes games I've seen, he is not as dominant as his stats.

But they do produce interesting talents, like Shingareev, Shenfeld.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Fantomas

Something like this for the WJC, gents?

Nikolai Prokhorkin - Mikhail Grigorenko - Nikita Kucherov
Maxim Shalunov - Alexander Khokhlachev - Nail Yakupov
Anton Slepyshev - Aleander Kadeykin - Yaroslav Kosov
Andrei Sigarev - Vladimir Tkachev - Anton Zlobin

Nikita Nesterov - Artem Sergeev
Mikhail Naumenkov - Albert Yarullin
Kirill Dyakov - Andrei Mironov
Nikita Zadorov - Andrei Pedan

Andrei Vasilevski - Andrei Makarov

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Very impressed with the subway series roster they are sending... It looks like every guy who will play on the final roster will have been summoned for at least one game in the ss. They mean business, I'd be shocked if they lost the series.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:13 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Something like this for the WJC, gents?

Nikita Nesterov - Artem Sergeev
Mikhail Naumenkov - Albert Yarullin
Kirill Dyakov - Andrei Mironov
Nikita Zadorov - Andrei Pedan

Andrei Vasilevski - Andrei Makarov
Yikes definitely a dangerous team. Would be even more scary if Zharkov and Barbashev were performing up to expectations. Possibly Zykov and Kupstov who look good as well. Got to think Buchnevich and Nichushkin would be considered. Pedan hopefully plays on the team to give the other countries a chance to win.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
At this moment I would take Zhafyarov over someone like Slepyshev without a shadow of a doubt. The guy is flat out impressive.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
At this moment I would take Zhafyarov over someone like Slepyshev without a shadow of a doubt. The guy is flat out impressive.
Or why not take them both and cut out guys like Zlobin or Tkachev, who are good but are just jr players...

I don't know how you can compare Slepyshev to Zhafyarov when one of them is injured. Before the injury Slepyshev was definitely a better, more mature player.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Or why not take them both and cut out guys like Zlobin or Tkachev, who are good but are just jr players...
Tkachev, maybe. But that's not a valid knock on Zlobin. He's a junior player, but so is Grigorenko and Kucherov and Sergeev for that matter.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:56 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:

I don't know how you can compare Slepyshev to Zhafyarov when one of them is injured. Before the injury Slepyshev was definitely a better, more mature player.
That's why I wrote SOMEONE LIKE Slepyshev. It doesn't have to be Slepyshev and no one else, it was just an example.

I don't know how you can't compare them, they were both healthy one month ago. And I'm not sold on Slepyshev being a better player either. Zhafyarov definitely has more offensive flair, his stickhandling is superb and he is a better skater. Yes, Slepyshev has more all-rounded game, size, experience and leadership but in terms of on-ice skills Zhafyarov is better

Old
10-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
That's why I wrote SOMEONE LIKE Slepyshev. It doesn't have to be Slepyshev and no one else, it was just an example.

I don't know how you can't compare them, they were both healthy one month ago. And I'm not sold on Slepyshev being a better player either. Zhafyarov definitely has more offensive flair, his stickhandling is superb and he is a better skater. Yes, Slepyshev has more all-rounded game, size, experience and leadership but in terms of on-ice skills Zhafyarov is better
Well I think you're really underrating Slepyshev. There is no one LIKE Slepyshev on this team. He is the best offensive LW for this U20 team. If you think Tkachev or Zlobin are LIKE Slepyshev- you're dead wrong, they are on a different level. And on the same note you're overhyping Zhafyarov like he is some wonderkid, while during games he still looks like a jr player (unlike Slepyshev).

I'm not sure if positions matter to people on HFboards, but I see all these rosters that would never work in real life, like putting player in C and RW in LW and so on. Everyone has their role, for this specific U20 team no one can fill the 1st line LW role better than Slepyshev. That is what Bragin did so well, he found the perfect players for their perfect roles.

It's not just a bunch of players with the best stats like in a video game or something...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Tkachev, maybe. But that's not a valid knock on Zlobin. He's a junior player, but so is Grigorenko and Kucherov and Sergeev for that matter.
Did you watch the Super Series in August? Slepyshev, Sigarev and Kapustin (pro-league players) all looked better than Zlobin AND GRIGORENKO (at the time). There is no way Varnakov would take Zlobin over Slepyshev, unless he is injured or is in really bad shape, you can be sure of that.

It's like Khokhlachev, who came from great CHL seasons to having 1 point in 20 KHL games. great

Sergeev is a very different case, there is a bit of defense crisis for the Russian jr teams. But I wouldn't call him anything outstanding like Orlov or even Arzamastsev from before. More like- he's not going to screw up and thats ok.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Well I think you're really underrating Slepyshev. There is no one LIKE Slepyshev on this team. He is the best offensive LW for this U20 team. If you think Tkachev or Zlobin are LIKE Slepyshev- you're dead wrong, they are on a different level. And on the same note you're overhyping Zhafyarov like he is some wonderkid, while during games he still looks like a jr player (unlike Slepyshev).

I'm not sure if positions matter to people on HFboards, but I see all these rosters that would never work in real life, like putting player in C and RW in LW and so on. Everyone has their role, for this specific U20 team no one can fill the 1st line LW role better than Slepyshev. That is what Bragin did so well, he found the perfect players for their perfect roles.

It's not just a bunch of players with the best stats like in a video game or something...
I don't think Tkachev or Zlobin are LIKE Slepyshev the way you understood but it doesn't matter, just nevermind. At the same time, I don't know what do you mean by saying he looks like junior player. There were shifts in the KHL where he would hang on to the puck for half a minute and no one could take it away. He produces on regular basis 0,5 PPG playing on the third line. Yes, he hasn't got very well rounded game, is that what you mean?

And regarding these rosters at HF boards, yes, they are depth-chart like, nobody's actually trying to coach the team here.

Quote:
Did you watch the Super Series in August? Slepyshev, Sigarev and Kapustin (pro-league players) all looked better than Zlobin AND GRIGORENKO (at the time). There is no way Varnakov would take Zlobin over Slepyshev, unless he is injured or is in really bad shape, you can be sure of that.
Nobody was talking about taking Zlobin over Slepyshev but in his and Grigorenko's defense I must say they are starting the season month later in NA so naturally guys which are playing in Europe will be in much better shape late summer.

Last edited by SoundAndFury: 10-26-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old
10-26-2012, 02:56 AM
helicecopter

Quote:

I don't know how you can't compare them, they were both healthy one month ago. And I'm not sold on Slepyshev being a better player either. Zhafyarov definitely has more offensive flair, his stickhandling is superb and he is a better skater.
ehm, skating is one of Slepyshev's strenghts, not easy to be a better skater.

But agree on Zhafyarov looking mature beyond his years to go along with his skills.

Anyway, barring injuries and related troubles (conditioning), both should be locks for the WJC team imo.

More importantly now, does anyone know what injury occurred to Buchnevich and its supposed extent?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Fantomas

Quote:

It's like Khokhlachev, who came from great CHL seasons to having 1 point in 20 KHL games. great

Sergeev is a very different case, there is a bit of defense crisis for the Russian jr teams. But I wouldn't call him anything outstanding like Orlov or even Arzamastsev from before. More like- he's not going to screw up and thats ok.
Unless Varnakov has something against CHLers, he will probably give Zlobin at least a long look.

Zlobin is a fine player and is older than Slepyshev.