HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2012, 11:05 PM
  #376
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I'm trying to help you out. It doesn't matter how polite you are about it. Most everyone finds it annoying when a guy is chasing the score sheet and making sure they get credit for everything.

I know how you feel. I'm a goalie. I can count on one hand the amount of times my save total has been correct in my 15 years of playing hockey. I've had games where I have stopped 60+ shots only to see the box score showing 22 shots against. It used to bother me, but I realized guys in my locker room would get annoyed when I would ask for the stat keeper to use the shot total our assistant coach kept which was always more accurate then the garbage the scorekeeper came up with while he spent half the game texting on his phone.

I know each point is worth it's weight in gold to you. But you don't want the stat ***** reputation. It's a tough rep to get rid of.
Seriously, the only person that knows is the captain and the director. If they don't change it and tell me not to worry about it ill move on. But you are making a ton of assumptions about how I went about this. So unless the captain is a gossip the team won't know, nor will I ***** in the lockerroom about anything. Or chirp the refs after every call. I'm the least of my teams problems lmao

Thanks for the advice, but it's sincerely not needed here.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:12 PM
  #377
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Lol

I hate players like you. Just have fun. It's beer league for christ sake.
Cool story, bro.

FYI I do have fun. The response to my first post made it seem like i was in there chasing the score keeper shouting. Jesus, it was a beer league frustration thread and I was frustrated so I posted. Ill let you guys know the verdict. If you want to assume my whole team doesn't care about points and I'm running around moaning about a missed assist I can't help you. But it took me all of thirty seconds to write a quick email, if the director is annoyed by it, he can tell me to **** off. Otherwise I will follow those same procedures every time.

I play my heart off out there and half the time I'm the only winger covering on D, so stop assuming things when you know about 5% of what happened lol

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:23 PM
  #378
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Cool story, bro.

FYI I do have fun. The response to my first post made it seem like i was in there chasing the score keeper shouting. Jesus, it was a beer league frustration thread and I was frustrated so I posted. Ill let you guys know the verdict. If you want to assume my whole team doesn't care about points and I'm running around moaning about a missed assist I can't help you. But it took me all of thirty seconds to write a quick email, if the director is annoyed by it, he can tell me to **** off. Otherwise I will follow those same procedures every time.

I play my heart off out there and half the time I'm the only winger covering on D, so stop assuming things when you know about 5% of what happened lol
There is a reason nobody agrees with you man. Good luck with your season

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:29 PM
  #379
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Edit: decided not to keep this argument going

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:51 PM
  #380
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
So, moving on

I also get a but frustrated when my teammates turn 2 min penalties into 4 min and we lose games every week. Why can't they just skate to the box quietly.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:47 AM
  #381
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
So, moving on

I also get a but frustrated when my teammates turn 2 min penalties into 4 min and we lose games every week. Why can't they just skate to the box quietly.
For me this is worse not because you lose from it but it can really mess up the lines and can cut into your ice time.

Probably the worst I've experienced in this regard was when I was starting out on my very first team our original goaltender would lose his temper and for no good reason take the occasional penalty. Well unless you count some sort of late mid-life crisis stress as a reason, the fundamentals of an adequate goaltender was there but the guy was on the older side, he'd very quickly run out of stamina after only a couple of shots and then would transform into a big block of Swiss cheese.

RandV is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:01 AM
  #382
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
I wonder the average beer league level of posters on this forum.

Although, I'd be utterly shocked if my assumption was wrong.

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
  #383
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
For me this is worse not because you lose from it but it can really mess up the lines and can cut into your ice time.

Probably the worst I've experienced in this regard was when I was starting out on my very first team our original goaltender would lose his temper and for no good reason take the occasional penalty. Well unless you count some sort of late mid-life crisis stress as a reason, the fundamentals of an adequate goaltender was there but the guy was on the older side, he'd very quickly run out of stamina after only a couple of shots and then would transform into a big block of Swiss cheese.
Our goalie has definitely sent ppl to the box because he couldn't stop chirping the refs lol.

On the other side, some of our refs play in our league...pffff

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:41 AM
  #384
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Ditto. We were all good, not travel-team tournament good though. Most of the league was guys just trying to get a weekend workout in. We went to a tournament in Leominster, Mass. a few years back and got thrashed. Place is like the Mecca of ball hockey in this area lol. Ended up playing some kids who actually played for Team USA, the score wasn't even close but it was a good experience.
I still have no clue what "ball hockey" is.. lol.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
  #385
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I still have no clue what "ball hockey" is.. lol.
Think hockey in sneakers on a medium sized rink with a tennis ball sized ball made out of hard plastic.

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
  #386
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of the gender of players influencing penalty calls, even if they do benefit me.

Saw a guy on another team in my league get 2 min for interferance because he clipped a girl on the other team skating past her and she fell - not hard either, I think she just lost her balance. You know, the sort of thing that happens ALL THE FREAKING TIME in a hockey game. He looked very confused as he skated to the box, no doubt because this little brat is one of the most infamous crosscheckers in our league but never gets called for those shenanigans

SCritical is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 10:41 AM
  #387
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
I'm not a fan of the gender of players influencing penalty calls, even if they do benefit me.
There is a player in our league who hacks and slashes constantly but nobody ever calls her on it. It amazes me that she's able to get away with it.

TickleMeYandle is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  #388
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,714
vCash: 500
In a weekly pick-up game I am always lined up as a winger against a defender who uses his stick like an axe. I am a stronger player than him and, as a result, I win the majority of our one-on-one encounters both along the boards and in open ice. What bothers me is that every time I win one of these battles he indiscriminately hacks at the puck as I pull away in a last ditch effort to disrupt my progress. Maybe 10% he hits my stick or the puck and he is effective, whereas the large majority of these hard slashes fall on my leg, hip, arm. This week was particularly bad as I had 6 large bruises and/or bleeding cuts after our last game (despite wearing equipment).

After biting my lip for a few weeks and saying nothing, I showed my opponent the result of his stick work this past week and asked politely that he be more considerate with his stick. In particular, I pointed out that I have no problem battling with him, and that my concern lies in his wild slashes as I am pulling away because he has little control over his stick in that situation. He responded that he was taught to battle until the last moment and he can't change the way he plays because then he will be ineffective during the game. He said that he doesn't expect me to take it easy on him when we are battling. I was at a loss of how to respond.

Any one had a similar experience(s) and can offer advice on how to approach this situation in the future? Hacking him back is not the solution as I know he will just escalate his behavior.

Frank the Tank is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
  #389
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
I'm not a fan of the gender of players influencing penalty calls, even if they do benefit me.

Saw a guy on another team in my league get 2 min for interferance because he clipped a girl on the other team skating past her and she fell - not hard either, I think she just lost her balance. You know, the sort of thing that happens ALL THE FREAKING TIME in a hockey game. He looked very confused as he skated to the box, no doubt because this little brat is one of the most infamous crosscheckers in our league but never gets called for those shenanigans
not beer league, but when I was playing 14u hockey, we scrimmaged an 18u womens team who needed a good team to play against as they were about to head to nationals. The game also had to be played by their rules (no checking).

Despite the age difference, we are clearly the better team and were up something like 6-0 going into the 3rd, and they started playing really dirty, hacking at wrists and ankles, hooking guys as they skated past. All that chippy annoying crap that is obvious and obnoxious, but not really dangerous/cheap. None of it was getting called. It seemed like the ref just didnt want these girls to get embarrassed anymore by a bunch of boys who weren't even old enough to have a learners permit, while they were all seniors in HS.

Eventually one of our guys gets frustrated and puts a solid shoulder into a girl who is skating with the puck. It wasn't a vicious hit, but it was enough to knock her off balance and have her collide with the boards (she didn't fall). Their coach immediately starts freaking out saying we are trying to injure her players and pulls the team off the ice. She spent about 20 minutes yelling at our coach in the hallway about how immature our team was. After she was done yelling, my coach calmly told her that it wasnt my team out there who started the chippiness. Next time you want your girls to be treated with respect on the ice, maybe you should show some and take your butt whipping like the adults you all are.

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
  #390
polysaturate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
There is a player in our league who hacks and slashes constantly but nobody ever calls her on it. It amazes me that she's able to get away with it.
I'm wondering if your referring to the same person I think you are...overall, there's a few teams in teh league that know they're better, and still play dirty

polysaturate is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
  #391
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
In a weekly pick-up game I am always lined up as a winger against a defender who uses his stick like an axe. I am a stronger player than him and, as a result, I win the majority of our one-on-one encounters both along the boards and in open ice. What bothers me is that every time I win one of these battles he indiscriminately hacks at the puck as I pull away in a last ditch effort to disrupt my progress. Maybe 10% he hits my stick or the puck and he is effective, whereas the large majority of these hard slashes fall on my leg, hip, arm. This week was particularly bad as I had 6 large bruises and/or bleeding cuts after our last game (despite wearing equipment).

After biting my lip for a few weeks and saying nothing, I showed my opponent the result of his stick work this past week and asked politely that he be more considerate with his stick. In particular, I pointed out that I have no problem battling with him, and that my concern lies in his wild slashes as I am pulling away because he has little control over his stick in that situation. He responded that he was taught to battle until the last moment and he can't change the way he plays because then he will be ineffective during the game. He said that he doesn't expect me to take it easy on him when we are battling. I was at a loss of how to respond.

Any one had a similar experience(s) and can offer advice on how to approach this situation in the future? Hacking him back is not the solution as I know he will just escalate his behavior.
I'm a big guy and never really run anyone smaller than me into a corner or the boards anywhere (non-check league). I either get there first and wait for them to come at me, or they'll get there first and I chase. I'm also the kind of guy who can battle with someone in the corner and literally throw them onto their ass with my weak hand as I protect the puck.

You say you're stronger than this guy, so use that to your advantage. Hard shoves, get rough (yet clean) along the boards, body him up hard, etc. I tend to play a quiet game unless it's the playoffs, and big and/or fat defenders like to shove me around in front of the net. If your league allows shoving, use your strength and show them what's up. When these guys are first to get real physical against me, I get more physical back real quick and that's that. Either we keep it up (which of course is fine by me) or they decide to not play that losing battle. Heck, I remember one guy in a championship game was cross-checking, slashing, shoving, and I just lost it. Turned around and shoved him from under his arms and threw him over our goalie's head (in butterfly) and into the net. No call on that thankfully, and he stayed away from me ever since.

Aside from getting throwing the guy around like that, you might be left with few options: Keep dealing with it like a champ, embellish or slow down in efforts to draw an actual penalty, take yourself out of those situations so he can't do it in the first place (although yes that changes the dynamics of the game, but hockey is about adapting your game as it is...), or perhaps wait for your chance and just freakin' level him when you get the chance and tell him that's how you learned the game. You said you didn't want it to escalate, but aside from dealing with it or changing your game so you aren't within such proximity to his stick, you're pretty much stuck unless you have someone on the team who'll do it for you.

Ozz is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
  #392
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

It's always funny because there are plenty of really nice guys on the ice and I'm one of them, but I'm one of the very few that has no problem giving it back to people. There are some people who think I'm a dirty player just because I always slash them back and harder. I'd really love to know what goes on in some people's heads that they can skate around acting like a jackass but can't be touched.
You sound like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I can count on one hand the amount of times my save total has been correct in my 15 years of playing hockey. I've had games where I have stopped 60+ shots only to see the box score showing 22 shots against.
.
Yep… half the time they don’t track shots at all, the other half of the time, they track about half of them. I have only played about a dozen games as goalie, but I think my career sv% is .600 on the site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
I wonder the average beer league level of posters on this forum.

Although, I'd be utterly shocked if my assumption was wrong.
So…. You don’t wonder, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
In a weekly pick-up game I am always lined up as a winger against a defender who uses his stick like an axe. I am a stronger player than him and, as a result, I win the majority of our one-on-one encounters both along the boards and in open ice. What bothers me is that every time I win one of these battles he indiscriminately hacks at the puck as I pull away in a last ditch effort to disrupt my progress. Maybe 10% he hits my stick or the puck and he is effective, whereas the large majority of these hard slashes fall on my leg, hip, arm. This week was particularly bad as I had 6 large bruises and/or bleeding cuts after our last game (despite wearing equipment).

After biting my lip for a few weeks and saying nothing, I showed my opponent the result of his stick work this past week and asked politely that he be more considerate with his stick. In particular, I pointed out that I have no problem battling with him, and that my concern lies in his wild slashes as I am pulling away because he has little control over his stick in that situation. He responded that he was taught to battle until the last moment and he can't change the way he plays because then he will be ineffective during the game. He said that he doesn't expect me to take it easy on him when we are battling. I was at a loss of how to respond.

Any one had a similar experience(s) and can offer advice on how to approach this situation in the future? Hacking him back is not the solution as I know he will just escalate his behavior.
Sounds like you’ve tried to be diplomatic about it and it didn’t work. This probably has to get worse before it gets better. Luckily you are the bigger, stronger player. I think you need to create some space for yourself, as the saying goes.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:01 PM
  #393
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Why do ringers insist on playing in lower divisions?

This one guy has 20 goals, the next closest to him has 5. I know they want to play with their friends and stuff, but how is it fun for them when they are so dominant?

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
  #394
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Was score keeping a lower level game last night and the game was pretty lopsided, white team scores to go up 8-0 so one of the officials comes over to give me the details of the goal/assist and the white teams captain skates over to the box to make sure the ref gave him the SECOND assist on the goal.

Seriously?

That being said, the same captain keys the stats for his team and he's the ONLY guy on his team with SOG an +/-

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:54 PM
  #395
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,727
vCash: 500
I can't even imagine our league keeping any stats other than goals and assists

Sometimes we play at a 2nd rink and they really strive keep perfect track of stats. It's nice to know but like most we don't really care.

Ozz is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:00 PM
  #396
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I can't even imagine our league keeping any stats other than goals and assists

Sometimes we play at a 2nd rink and they really strive keep perfect track of stats. It's nice to know but like most we don't really care.
The assists in any beer league I've played in are basically just randomly handed out. Think they just give it to the 2 guys closest to the puck.

I use to keep track of my stats on a spreadsheet when I started playing, didn't share it with anyone, just to track any improvements and such.

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
  #397
fryer98
Registered User
 
fryer98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Was score keeping a lower level game last night and the game was pretty lopsided, white team scores to go up 8-0 so one of the officials comes over to give me the details of the goal/assist and the white teams captain skates over to the box to make sure the ref gave him the SECOND assist on the goal.

Seriously?

That being said, the same captain keys the stats for his team and he's the ONLY guy on his team with SOG an +/-
When I used to ref adult league games, there were always guys coming to me right after a goal to say they got an assist. Even at rinks that didn't put anything but the score on the score sheet.

The rink I play at keeps stats, but I wish they wouldn't. It takes time that I'm sure they figure into our league fees. I'd rather pay less per team than have stats that no one records correct and wouldn't matter even if they did.

fryer98 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
  #398
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
I'm wondering if your referring to the same person I think you are...overall, there's a few teams in teh league that know they're better, and still play dirty
Probably.

TickleMeYandle is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  #399
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,331
vCash: 500
If you're worried about stats (other than W-L) in a beer league you're playing the wrong game. NHL 13 has a bunch of children who measure their e-peen in the EASHL.

TatarTangle is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
  #400
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
The assists in any beer league I've played in are basically just randomly handed out. Think they just give it to the 2 guys closest to the puck.

I use to keep track of my stats on a spreadsheet when I started playing, didn't share it with anyone, just to track any improvements and such.
Giving them to the closest people to the puck is better than giving them to people who are on the bench We've had our goalie score goals, even people who weren't even at the game. I think they've started to care a lot more lately, but it used to be so bad we were more interested in seeing how badly the stats would get messed up than to see if they were correct.

Ozz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.