HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We survived?? WE SURVIVED!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Anybody know anybody at Cornell?

*cough*

Old
10-21-2012, 04:18 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
once upon a time, in the Ornithology School...but we're talking back in the 70s-80s...
If you're talking about the area, an elementary school friend of mine and her husband own a dairy farm in Ovid...?

Old
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:

*cough*
used too, my Dad

Old
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
used too, my Dad

Ah, that's right. We talked about that a few years back, didn't we. I'm sorry, Buck.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I may need to retire from coaching youth hockey.

My big guy had an assist in our 9-2 win today. If I retire, I'm unbeaten at 1-0-0.

The best part about the game was that the kids learned their lesson from Thursday's scrimmage and remained positive throughout the game.

When they gave up the second goal to make it 2-2, they didn't get frustrated and the goals did eventually come.

It was ice to see.

And I had a nice visit at the house. I got to read to the kids and take our dog for a walk.

It was an awesome day.

Now for the really weird and messed up stuff that my wife has done.....

But, things are getting better and we may be marching towards a cooperative negotiated divorce instead of the trial she had been marching towards.

I hope we can sort this out less painfully....

Old
10-21-2012, 09:11 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I'm at Five Guys now... I wasn't openly saying it when I was still in the process of switching companies but have no problems now.
Hey, I just read this... I tried them for the first time about a 5 weeks ago. Since then I've had it 3 more times. All I've had was the veggie cheese burger and fries.

Love it...

Love

It

Congrats on the move. Sounds like a much happier MM

Old
10-21-2012, 09:46 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Restless around the house, signed up for Fitocracy and did a quick workout on UFC Personal Trainer on the Kinect. Been awhile since I've done that. Felt good?

LL, sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Good vibes your way man.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I have my PhD qualifying exams this Friday. It's pretty stressful, and right now I'm just sick of studying. I really want to pass the first time so I don't have to go through this again.

It is actually 3 exams - 1 each for 3 different areas. Each one has 2 professors. The exams are oral and I am in there for an hour each of just me and the professors trying to make me feel stupid. I hear most people get out of there feeling like they did badly whether they actually did or not. I just hope I do well enough to pass.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I have my PhD qualifying exams this Friday. It's pretty stressful, and right now I'm just sick of studying. I really want to pass the first time so I don't have to go through this again.

It is actually 3 exams - 1 each for 3 different areas. Each one has 2 professors. The exams are oral and I am in there for an hour each of just me and the professors trying to make me feel stupid. I hear most people get out of there feeling like they did badly whether they actually did or not. I just hope I do well enough to pass.
What's your field? Mine (history) weren't too bad. For the oral exam each of the three professors on my committee sat around and asked me questions for about an hour and a half. But, I had spent about a year preparing so I had that on lockdown. The written portion was way worse- I had to do a seperate written exam for each professor. Two of them gave me 4 hours to do it which was not so bad. But one of them gave me 24 hours which sounds good in theory before you realize that you WILL be writing for that whole 24 hours.

My dissertation defense was way worse. They basically tore apart the project I had devoted the last 3 years of my life to and reduced me to an empty shell of a man. Then they sent me out of the room for 10 minutes then came back and said "Hey, you passed! Nice job, doctor." Surreal.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
What's your field? Mine (history) weren't too bad. For the oral exam each of the three professors on my committee sat around and asked me questions for about an hour and a half. But, I had spent about a year preparing so I had that on lockdown. The written portion was way worse- I had to do a seperate written exam for each professor. Two of them gave me 4 hours to do it which was not so bad. But one of them gave me 24 hours which sounds good in theory before you realize that you WILL be writing for that whole 24 hours.

My dissertation defense was way worse. They basically tore apart the project I had devoted the last 3 years of my life to and reduced me to an empty shell of a man. Then they sent me out of the room for 10 minutes then came back and said "Hey, you passed! Nice job, doctor." Surreal.
Wow, that sounds rough. Glad they passed you, though.

My field is Aerospace Engineering. I'm taking Aeroelasticity & Structural Dynamics, Helicopter Aeromechanics (really aerodynamics and stability/control for helicopters), and Aerodynamics as my subject areas. I feel pretty confident with the material, it's just the format that I'm not used to. Some professors like to ask questions that are very open-ended and see where you go with it, with varying levels of guidance based on the professor. It makes it hard to gauge whether you are doing well at times. That said, I'm glad there is no written portion of the exam. This way it's 3 hours and I'm done, for better or worse.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
slip

Quote:
What was your dissertation on?

Old
10-22-2012, 06:43 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
LL, sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Good vibes your way man.
I need to take the advice I give my kids and focus on the positive. If I get stuck worrying about all the negative and worrisome signs, it can't help.

And there are plenty of weird/messed up/sketchy things that my wife and her mom are doing and saying right now to make it easy to get inside my own head and worry that things aren't on as good as a path as they might be....

It's a struggle, but I just need to stay positive and hope things work out for the best.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
What was your dissertation on?
The Fenians, a group of militant Irish Nationalists. I went through the origin of the Fenians in 1858 until the election of Gladstone as Prime minister in 1868. In particular, I focused on the links between the Fenians in the United States and those in Ireland during that period. It's way more exciting that it sounds.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Something I read recently -- Columbia regularly rates in the top 5 for contentment/happiness as rated by a countries own residents.
They probably only polled the druglords with guns who rule the country... It's like the Taliban down there.

I remember in high school we had to each make a travel brochure for a different country, which we drew out of a hat. I got Columbia, so I had to make a brochure about Bogota, the capital.

One of the things we had to list was how to get there and I put down:
"You cannot get a flight to Bogota, because the airport has been shut down by the militia that runs the city. The only way in or out is to drive, and the roads are patrolled by jeeps with machine guns mounted on top. Going to Bogota is not advised."

Now that was in 2001, so maybe things have improved... but...

Old
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
As a US citizen you're not allowed to have a 2nd citizenship without forfeiting your US one. The US is one of the only countries in the world that does that.
A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship.

However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship.

In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

Old
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
The Fenians, a group of militant Irish Nationalists. I went through the origin of the Fenians in 1858 until the election of Gladstone as Prime minister in 1868. In particular, I focused on the links between the Fenians in the United States and those in Ireland during that period. It's way more exciting that it sounds.
0 x 1000000 = 0

Old
10-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
They probably only polled the druglords with guns who rule the country... It's like the Taliban down there.

I remember in high school we had to each make a travel brochure for a different country, which we drew out of a hat. I got Columbia, so I had to make a brochure about Bogota, the capital.

One of the things we had to list was how to get there and I put down:
"You cannot get a flight to Bogota, because the airport has been shut down by the militia that runs the city. The only way in or out is to drive, and the roads are patrolled by jeeps with machine guns mounted on top. Going to Bogota is not advised."

Now that was in 2001, so maybe things have improved... but...
The one of them was the Journal Of Happiness Studies putting them at #4, the Happy Planet Index of the NEF had them at #2. Rankings were based on general well-being and how people felt about themselves/their own lives.

Did you touch on any of the changes under Mockus or Penalosa (or back under Mockus again)? Just wondering.

Costa Rica ranks especially high in Earth Institute's World Happiness report (top two in more categories) -- no slouches there either.

10-22-2012, 09:15 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:

*cough*
Older brother of my best friend from high school is a professor there.
Younger brother lives across the street from him. (But is not on Cornell faculty.)
Haven't seen them in over a decade. Was going to visit them when I hiked Taughannock falls this summer, but, ran short of time.

Regardless, I can't ask him for a job for you.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
The one of them was the Journal Of Happiness Studies putting them at #4, the Happy Planet Index of the NEF had them at #2. Rankings were based on general well-being and how people felt about themselves/their own lives.

Did you touch on any of the changes under Mockus or Penalosa (or back under Mockus again)? Just wondering.

Costa Rica ranks especially high in Earth Institute's World Happiness report (top two in more categories) -- no slouches there either.
Cannabis?

Old
10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
bullseyed

Quote:

Na, this was a computer class project when I was a freshman in high school. Wasn't in depth.

Maybe poverty should be encouraged if people are happiest in these third world countries. I suppose if you're so poor that you don't know what you're missing, life would be pretty easy.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:26 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Older brother of my best friend from high school is a professor there.
Younger brother lives across the street from him. (But is not on Cornell faculty.)
Haven't seen them in over a decade. Was going to visit them when I hiked Taughannock falls this summer, but, ran short of time.

Regardless, I can't ask him for a job for you.
That's fine. Just beating the bushes to see what flies out. They have an opening that I shot my resume out for and I figured I'd ask.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Was going to visit them when I hiked Taughannock falls this summer, but, ran short of time.
Glad to see someone else knows about this little gem in central NY.

My wife and I take my dog there once a year during the summer and we walk the creek bed back to the falls. An excellent warm day activity.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Na, this was a computer class project when I was a freshman in high school. Wasn't in depth.

Maybe poverty should be encouraged if people are happiest in these third world countries. I suppose if you're so poor that you don't know what you're missing, life would be pretty easy.
Maybe if they're not driven to unsatisfying rampant consumerism, they don't know what is considered poor.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:52 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kin...agers-t,29889/

Old
10-22-2012, 12:05 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I need to take the advice I give my kids and focus on the positive. If I get stuck worrying about all the negative and worrisome signs, it can't help.

And there are plenty of weird/messed up/sketchy things that my wife and her mom are doing and saying right now to make it easy to get inside my own head and worry that things aren't on as good as a path as they might be....

It's a struggle, but I just need to stay positive and hope things work out for the best.
Good Luck !

Closed Thread