HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
hockey jockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Penalties kill you at this level and beyond though. So Coaches and Scouts will be watching for what "type" of mucker they are. Some players never win a race to a puck in those dirty areas and then come in and hit someone awkwardly or are the retaliating type.

If you're going to play this way, you need the discipline to take it when it comes your way. Some of the guys you have mentioned are good at giving it, not so good at taking it.
There is a difference between a physical player and a player that try's to run players due to lack of hockey skills, I look for a guy that can be physical and produce some offence from time to time just because you have your name on the gamesheet for lots of penalty minutes does not make you a hockey player.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
There is a difference between a physical player and a player that try's to run players due to lack of hockey skills, I look for a guy that can be physical and produce some offence from time to time just because you have your name on the gamesheet for lots of penalty minutes does not make you a hockey player.
Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Canada4Gold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Canada4Gold1

I know it's early but I've made a top 10 forwards and top 5 defensemen playing in Midget Major at the moment for us to discuss. Only '97 goalie is Landry so I couldn't make a top anything for goalies.

My Top 10 Forwards:
1. JM Leblanc- Saint John Vitos- Great offensive player but needs work on his defensive play. He finished the season in Major Midget last year so it’s no surprise he is above everyone else. He’s off to a great start this year with 2 goals and 6 assists.

2. Alexandre Jacob- Moncton Flyers- He is probably the best 97’ in NB but I can’t put him as #1 until I see him play against people bigger than him this year. Although, I doubt his size will matter. He’s listed as 5’5 and 130 pounds and he’s been plagued by injuries which might hurt him in the long run.

3. Ryan Tompkins- Fredericton Canadiens- I’ve only seen the Canadiens once this year when they lost 6-1 to Saint John. None of the Canadiens played well but I won’t base his ranking on that. He is a great skater with great hands and a nice shot. He plays with a lot of intensity which I like a lot. He is also off to a great start with 3 goals and 3 assists while being one of Fredericton’s better forwards.

4. William Bower- Saint John Vitos- He hasn’t stood out in the games that I’ve seen him play in but he’s off to a great start with 5 goals and 2 assists. He did play high school last year so he must have benefitted playing against bigger and stronger guys. Bower and Leblanc were better prepared this year since they both played against bigger and stronger guys than everyone else did in Bantam.

5. Francis Theriault- Miramichi Rivermen- Great offensive and defensive player. He has an amazing shot, great hands, and fast speed. He is always moving and plays really aggressive. Theriault’s off to a great start as well with 3 goals and 4 assists. He’s also on the top penalty kill pair that’s resulted in 3 shorthanded goals for Miramichi.

6. Kari Belec- Moncton Flyers- He plays a physical game and is strong on the puck. He can get the job done by scoring as well. He does have a bit of an attitude though since I’ve seen him retaliate when someone lands a clean hit on him. He’s getting a lot of playing time since Moncton only has three lines but with only 3 assists on Moncton high scoring team makes me want to see more on offense.

7. Patrick Daley- Fredericton Canadiens- He is one of the top 97’ playmakers and he has great vision. He also plays with a lot of intensity and is one of Frederiction’s top forwards with 2 goals and 3 assists.

8. Alex Beaulieu- Miramichi Rivermen- The most underrated 97’ player in midget major at the moment in my mind. He has amazing speed, a nice shot, and great vision. He’s played less time than all the other players ahead of him on my rankings but still has 2 goals and 1 assist. He’s on a line with two 98’s from what I’ve seen but I hear that Miramichi is losing Williston due to surgery so some playing time might come his way. He is sometimes lacking aggressiveness though.

9. Kyle Ward- Moncton Flyers- I’ve seen Moncton play a few times and I really like Ward. He may not be the biggest offensive threat but he has posted 2 goals and 2 assists. His defense was what impressed me when I saw him. He won a lot of faceoffs for his team and played really well in his own zone.

10. Riley Scott-Miramichi Rivermen- He tends to be more physical than the players mentioned above. He has a lot of intensity but decision making needs improvement. He tries to do everything a bit too much by himself in the offensive zone and I’ve seen him set up the other team’s goals a couple of times this year by passing the puck right to the middle of his zone on defense instead of down the boards. He has 1 assist as well.

My Top 5 Defensemen:
1. Luc Deschenes- Fredericton Canadiens- I’m sure no one can argue with me that he’s the top ’97 defensemen in Midget Major this year. He has 5 assists this year. I don’t need to discuss him further since he is the top by far.

2. Jacob Vance- Frederiction Canadiens- He has a hard shot and is a great puck mover. He isn’t an amazing skater but his strength and size make up for it. Played for Notre Dame last year which always helps. He has 1 goal and 1 assist so far.

3. Matthew Paul- Fredericton Canadiens- He is a great skater and good passer. Played for Notre Dame last year. He missed a few games this year and I’ve only seen his play when Saint John blew Fredericton out 6-1. He has 1 goal and 2 assists.

4. Philippe Myers- Moncton Flyers- He’s big, strong, and has a decent shot. He isn’t in the same class as the top 3 but he gets my #4 spot since he’s produced 5 assists. He played high school last year so he’s used to bigger and stronger guys unlike some guys not mentioned in my top 5.

5. Tyler Gunn- Saint John Vitos- None of the other ’97 defensemen had impressed me so far from the games that I’ve seen. I will throw in Gunn’s name since he’s produced 1 goal and 3 assists while doing it as a undersized defenceman at 5’9 and 139 pounds.

Other players playing Midget Major at forward: Woulds (Miramichi), Alward (Moncton), Pelrlerin (Fredericton), Billings (Fredericton), and Cameron (Fredericton).
Other Defensemen: Robichaud (Miramichi), Hachey (Fredericton), Comeau (Fredericton), McInnis (Saint John)

Old
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

We're already on 1997? Man I feel old.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
mrscout

Although I have had my eye on the 96 class this year, I must admit that the 97 class is alot of fun to watch this year. Most are competing hard for a spot on the U16 team which seems to have brought their intensity level up a notch or 2. Although I have seen some basic mistakes from all the player's mentioned the intensity makes up for the mistakes that can be easily corrected with good coaching. Most of these kids are playing harder than the majority of the 96 or 95 kids. On the other hand, you have to make mistakes in order to get better so I'm not going to pick them apart too much. Great list, I've seen them all.

mrscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
mrscout

Without looking at the points, which seems to be a big thing on this site, this would be my list from what I've seen. You sometimes have to look a little further that the point total since not all teams are looking for goal scorer's. Some higher level teams are looking for some grit, some are looking for defensive style etc. and it would be great to have the full package but most teams will tell you that they have their goal scorer's. Also, you may have kids put into different roles that they are not accustomed to right away. I think we can all agree that this even happens in the Big leagues. You either adjust or you don't advance. It is early in the season but these player's at least show that they are willing to compete. I've seen many player's with great point totals but horrible +/-. There are several player's on this list who still play around too much with the puck at their own blue lines which is almost a cardinal sin if I may, almost 0 backchecking and still don't understand who to back check. This is where the Coach comes into play. If all player's were superstars then we wouldn't see a coach bend over and explain what he did wrong.

Jacob
Theriault
Tomkins
Bower
Leblanc
Belec
Daley
Scott
Ward
Beaulieu

Old
10-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Canada4Gold1

I just put the points out there so that people could see. They had nothing to do with my rankings. At this point in the season Leblanc is the most likely to be drafted into the QMJHL ahead of the other forwards since Jacob is way too small for teams to take a chance on (Same thing happened with Alex Bradley who's dominating this year). I know that you love Scott's play from reading some of your posts but he makes a ton more mistakes than Ward and Beaulieu do so that's why he was behind them in my rankings. He takes a ton of penalty minutes (I will not count the 10 minute misconduct but he's almost averaging a penalty per game), he has set up the other teams goals 2-3 times this year by playing with the puck at his own blue line like you said, and his +/- has been horrible from what I've seen. I didn't see the 7-6 Miramichi win over Cornwall but I highly doubt his play had changed.

Last edited by Canada4Gold1: 10-22-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
mrscout

I respect your opinion however I could also sit here and talk about Belec, Vance or several others and point out the good points when it comes to the physical side of the game. Then you would just want to get into a war of words about a 15 yr old? Not sure where the Scott thing came from but to call a kid horrible? I'll agree to disagree on some of your points. I've noticed the 10 min penalty, but if you look a little closer at the game sheet there were 3 more all at the same time, 1 from his team and 2 from the other. I wasn't there so why comment on what happened. Can you tell me where to find the +/- ? I haven't spoken to anybody in N.B. who puts Leblanc ahead of Jacob. He is another who can play any area of the ice and he can at least throw a decent check when he has to. Also you should have a look at some of the other teams as well. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on some of their top penalty getters. I'll be at the SJ vs Fred game Thursday, I'll have a better look at Leblanc just to give you the benefit of doubt.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold1 View Post
I just put the points out there so that people could see. They had nothing to do with my rankings. At this point in the season Leblanc is the most likely to be drafted into the QMJHL ahead of the other forwards since Jacob is way too small for teams to take a chance on (Same thing happened with Alex Bradley who's dominating this year). I know that you love Scott's play from reading some of your posts but he makes a ton more mistakes than Ward and Beaulieu do so that's why he was behind them in my rankings. He takes a ton of penalty minutes (I will not count the 10 minute misconduct but he's almost averaging a penalty per game), he has set up the other teams goals 2-3 times this year by playing with the puck at his own blue line like you said, and his +/- has been horrible from what I've seen. I didn't see the 7-6 Miramichi win over Cornwall but I highly doubt his play had changed.
I know you say Jacob is small and he is (5' 6" 135 according to team site) but he plays a much more physical game than Leblanc plays(maybe why he is injured so much) and much more skilled you won't see Leblanc in the corners very often and very seldom is he ever back in his own end but he sure can score.Scott will never play in the Q as his skating and hockey sense is just not there.

JMO

Old
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscout View Post
I respect your opinion however I could also sit here and talk about Belec, Vance or several others and point out the good points when it comes to the physical side of the game. Then you would just want to get into a war of words about a 15 yr old? Not sure where the Scott thing came from but to call a kid horrible? I'll agree to disagree on some of your points. I've noticed the 10 min penalty, but if you look a little closer at the game sheet there were 3 more all at the same time, 1 from his team and 2 from the other. I wasn't there so why comment on what happened. Can you tell me where to find the +/- ? I haven't spoken to anybody in N.B. who puts Leblanc ahead of Jacob. He is another who can play any area of the ice and he can at least throw a decent check when he has to. Also you should have a look at some of the other teams as well. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on some of their top penalty getters. I'll be at the SJ vs Fred game Thursday, I'll have a better look at Leblanc just to give you the benefit of doubt.
I didn't count the 10 minute penalty like I said. I never once called him horrible. I said his +/- was horrible. You can't find +/- but in the games I've been at he hasn't been positive yet. I based my top 10 on what I saw this year and I've seen Miramichi, Moncton, and Saint John 3-4 times and only Frederiction once. I travel for work a lot and watch the games in the city I'm in. Also, if you want to look at scoutman1's post earlier on this sub-forum he has Leblanc as a better prospect for the QMJHL than Jacob. I tried to put a few things that each player had strengths in and a weakness as to why they weren't ranked higher. I could list a bunch of strengths and weaknesses of each player but it would take forever so I'm not going to do that.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I didn't count the 10 minute penalty like I said. I never once called him horrible. I said his +/- was horrible. You can't find +/- but in the games I've been at he hasn't been positive yet. I based my top 10 on what I saw this year and I've seen Miramichi, Moncton, and Saint John 3-4 times and only Frederiction once. I travel for work a lot and watch the games in the city I'm in. Also, if you want to look at scoutman1's post earlier on this sub-forum he has Leblanc as a better prospect for the QMJHL than Jacob. I tried to put a few things that each player had strengths in and a weakness as to why they weren't ranked higher. I could list a bunch of strengths and weaknesses of each player but it would take forever so I'm not going to do that.
I think your list fairly good lets add some other top 97's to your list that are away playing at prep schools

Will Thompson
Chris Becker
Johnathen Cloutier
Ross MacDougall
Chris Sarault

I also heard Tompkins from Fredericton who I think as as much potential as Leblanc or Jacob was injuried this weekend and could be out for a long stretch?If that is correct it will be a big blow to Fredericton.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I think your list fairly good lets add some other top 97's to your list that are away playing at prep schools

Will Thompson
Chris Becker
Johnathen Cloutier
Ross MacDougall
Chris Sarault

I also heard Tompkins from Fredericton who I think as as much potential as Leblanc or Jacob was injuried this weekend and could be out for a long stretch?If that is correct it will be a big blow to Fredericton.
I also heard that on Tompkins. That will indeed be a big loss for Fredericton.

Of your other list, I think Thompson is the big gun there. The rest wouldn't make my top 10 or 5 list. Not bad players, but not at the level of some of these other guys.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I also heard that on Tompkins. That will indeed be a big loss for Fredericton.

Of your other list, I think Thompson is the big gun there. The rest wouldn't make my top 10 or 5 list. Not bad players, but not at the level of some of these other guys.
Agreed Thompson is the best of that group not sure if attending RNS will help or hinder his development, Becker , Sarault , and McDougall also were U-15 players what do you think of them sticking on the U-16 squad this year or is there room for some movement on that team?

Old
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Canada4Gold1

How do I put it? Umm...NO!!! If the hockey New Brunswick's teams weren't picked basically on personal connections than yes there would be room for movement and with the movement improvement would come to NB teams. I looked over when these kids were in U15 and Woulds is one guy I believe shouldn't of been there. He isn't part of the top talent in NB. Adams is debatable. I've seen some of you guys put him as top talent from New Brunswick but I saw him play last year in Bantam and at the camp and someone who doesn't pass like him wouldn't have a spot on any team I put together. McInnis and Tingley didn't impress me as well. RNS plays against other academies and in a lot of tournaments (They will be at the Haligonian). Someone want to shed some light on Tingley?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:37 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
How do I put it? Umm...NO!!! If the hockey New Brunswick's teams weren't picked basically on personal connections than yes there would be room for movement and with the movement improvement would come to NB teams. I looked over when these kids were in U15 and Woulds is one guy I believe shouldn't of been there. He isn't part of the top talent in NB. Adams is debatable. I've seen some of you guys put him as top talent from New Brunswick but I saw him play last year in Bantam and at the camp and someone who doesn't pass like him wouldn't have a spot on any team I put together. McInnis and Tingley didn't impress me as well. RNS plays against other academies and in a lot of tournaments (They will be at the Haligonian). Someone want to shed some light on Tingley?
I don't believe HNB the teams are picked just on "personal connections" is there times that players make it because of a connection for sure(and that will never change) but for the most part the best players make these teams, I think the coaching staff has the final say on the team, the first 8 or 9 forwards 4 Dmen are easy picks then the hard part is picking the remaining players.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:35 AM
mrscout

Quote:
Have to agree with the personal connections. Woulds may have been given a break because of the Ass Coach, who was also the Ass. Coach of his Bantam team. Curious to see what happens with McInnis. I had a parent tell me that he tried out for the U16 as a forward but is playing defense for his Midget AAA team. How do you evaluate him as a forward when he is playing defense. Not sure if Adams is going to get the hang of things. Lots of skating but random passing and poor positioning. I figured Sarault would have fixed his game. I guess it's up to the people scouting them to make the right decisions.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
mrscout

Quote:
Tingley is playing Minor Midget in Moncton.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscout View Post
Have to agree with the personal connections. Woulds may have been given a break because of the Ass Coach, who was also the Ass. Coach of his Bantam team. Curious to see what happens with McInnis. I had a parent tell me that he tried out for the U16 as a forward but is playing defense for his Midget AAA team. How do you evaluate him as a forward when he is playing defense. Not sure if Adams is going to get the hang of things. Lots of skating but random passing and poor positioning. I figured Sarault would have fixed his game. I guess it's up to the people scouting them to make the right decisions.
If I read this correctly you are saying that Woulds , McInnis, Adams and Sarault are in danger of not making the U-16 team this year? if so who would you replace them with?

Old
10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
If I read this correctly you are saying that Woulds , McInnis, Adams and Sarault are in danger of not making the U-16 team this year? if so who would you replace them with?
I believe that the Sarault should be there while the other three and Tingley shouldn't unless they drastically improve. And by in danger of not making the U-16 team this year, they aren't. The coaches will pick them because of personal connections and not take the players that are better than them so that the personal connections won't be ruined. If NB truly wanted to put a competitive team together they most certainly could but they won't.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:14 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I believe that the Sarault should be there while the other three and Tingley shouldn't unless they drastically improve. And by in danger of not making the U-16 team this year, they aren't. The coaches will pick them because of personal connections and not take the players that are better than them so that the personal connections won't be ruined. If NB truly wanted to put a competitive team together they most certainly could but they won't.
Ok, I'll bite.. who would be the others you would add? Lets say Sarault is in for sure, who would replace the other three?

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:19 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
OK I do agree politics is a part of hockey always has and always will be,so who do you think should make up the NB U-16 team this year no order of talent just the 20 players you think belong on the team if it was picked today?

Old
10-25-2012, 07:50 AM
mrscout

Quote:
Sorry about that, I meant Yves Sarault when I said I thought Sarault would have fixed Adams game. Adams will be there in my opinion because of his speed. If he had a good set of hands he would be near the top of my list. Sarault will be there for sure, great hands but he should use the player's around him a little more. Still not sure what's going on with McInnis. Like I said, HNB sends you a form and you indicate what position you are trying out for without exceptions. So if you look on the HNB website he is listed as a forward but playing defense this year so is HNB making an exception? Has anybody seen this before?

Old
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Canada4Gold1

IMO. In alphabetical order. I'm basing it on the camp, last season, and this season so far.

Goalies:
Galloway
Goguen

Defense:
Becker
Deschenes
MacDougall
Paul
Thompson
Vance

Forwards:
Beaulieu
Belec
Bower
Conrad
Daley
Jacob
Leblanc
Sarault
Theriault, F
Tompkins
Ward, K
Young or Adams- Young would be on my list if he wasn't playing AA. Since Adams is the next best thing he would take Young's spot on my list. I could of put Scott instead but Adams skating is way better.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
mrscout

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite.. who would be the others you would add? Lets say Sarault is in for sure, who would replace the other three?
I'll take a stab at it but at the same time does anybody have any imput on Alexandre Gallant, where is he playing? Also I think it is safe to assume that Belec will be looked at since he was out of town during the camp. I kind of like your earlier post about possibly adding Young and Scott. The only thing with Young is playing AA. You tend to fall into the slow pace of that league which normally leaves you behind....too bad but you never know I guess. I have the list of player's who attended the Camp from the HNB website in front of me so here it goes.

Bower
Daley
Leblanc
Sarault
F. Theriault
Tompkins
Conrad
K. Ward
Scott
Belec
Adams
Jacob

Deschenes
Paul
Vance
Thomson
Robinson
Cloutier

I threw Cloutier in there but could easily be Becker. Conrad seems to be off to a good start in Midget Minor but I'm not sure how weak or strong the league is yet.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:39 AM
mrscout

Quote:
IMO. In alphabetical order. I'm basing it on the camp, last season, and this season so far.

Goalies:
Galloway
Goguen

Defense:
Becker
Deschenes
MacDougall
Paul
Thompson
Vance

Forwards:
Beaulieu
Belec
Bower
Conrad
Daley
Jacob
Leblanc
Sarault
Theriault, F
Tompkins
Ward, K
Young or Adams- Young would be on my list if he wasn't playing AA. Since Adams is the next best thing he would take Young's spot on my list. I could of put Scott instead but Adams skating is way better.
Beaulieu was not invited to the camp so he is out.