HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Open Hockey, Twin Cities, Minnesota

Old
10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
TLow97

vCash: 500
Open Hockey, Twin Cities, Minnesota

So I've noticed that a lot of the arenas that have open hockey available are not conducive to a 9-5 work schedule (late mornings-mid afternoons). I'd like to get some ice time in before the season starts if at all possible. I'm just getting back into hockey this year after not having played since I was a teenager (10+ years). Anyone know of some spots for open hockey in Mpls/St Paul?

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes, lots! Are you from the area? If you're a Wild fan, check out our subforum...good times.

Two great places are HockeyFinder and JMSHockey. I've done dozens of JMS sessions and had friends that do HockeyFinder. Both of them have levels of hockey so you are matched up closer to your skill level rather than open hockey which is usually a bunch of awesome former HS players and some old dudes and a beginner.

Are you playing league? Which one and what level?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:22 PM
windycity

I've done JMS and a few games of Hockeyfinder (when I'm up in Minny for business I try and bring my gear when I can). Limited sample but based on what I've done, JMS seems to do a better job of matching levels.

www.jmshockey.com

www.hockeyfinder.com

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yes, lots! Are you from the area? If you're a Wild fan, check out our subforum...good times.

Two great places are HockeyFinder and JMSHockey. I've done dozens of JMS sessions and had friends that do HockeyFinder. Both of them have levels of hockey so you are matched up closer to your skill level rather than open hockey which is usually a bunch of awesome former HS players and some old dudes and a beginner.

Are you playing league? Which one and what level?
I am! I registered for AHA and graded out to C3. Free agent status, kind of excited to get started! I've looked through HockeyFinder, I'll have to register and see what I find.

Quote:
I've done JMS and a few games of Hockeyfinder (when I'm up in Minny for business I try and bring my gear when I can). Limited sample but based on what I've done, JMS seems to do a better job of matching levels.

www.jmshockey.com

www.hockeyfinder.com
I just registered with JMS, saw that there was a pickup game at Polar Arena! Have always wanted to go back to play there as that was my home ice as a kid.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hey, that's my league and level even! We might play you (Diablos). Let me know if you get put on the Blade Runners, I know a guy on that team and they are short players so you might get assigned to that team.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
timmywah

Hey guys,

I'm in Minneapolis myself and have been playing JMS for about a year now. Never played hockey before this past year so it was a great way to get a taste of things with decent parity too. I've tried Hockey Finder but find their parity isn't on par with JMS as you have people skating in beginner/intermediate skates who would be level 4/5 in JMS. Nice thing about JMS is that there's plenty of ice times throughout the metro so if you're looking to skate on a random night odds are you will be able to find a game close by.

Just finished my first eval for AHA and got placed at C3 so it looks like we will all be seeing each other out on the ice! I just signed up with the Mastadons who skated D1 last year. Can't wait for the season to start and get my first taste of organized hockey. Pickup has been nice but I'm looking forward to playing with the same teammates week after week.

timmywah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
TLow97

Jarick, do you know when free agents will know what team they will be placed on?

And timmywah, good insight. I've got some alerts from JMS coming to my phone and hopefully I'll be able to make it to a few of those. It'll be good to get some ice time, I'm getting kind of sick of off ice workouts!

Old
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No, but I would guess since the season starts in a few weeks it will be soon.

Dunno if I'll get to any JMS sessions...don't see many around me. I just moved from Edina to St Paul. Used to be able to hit BIG/SLP/Richfield easily but doesn't look like there's much on this side of town. Shame since I was 5 minutes from Minnesota Made too and thought about trying HF.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
johnny1976

Tlow,

How old are you? I grew up playing at polar also.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
TLow97

29. Would've played there between 1993-2000. Never played high school, got as far as Jr Gold U16.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, you only leveled at C3? I'd have to think with your experience you'll probably rip it up and get bumped next year...

Old
10-10-2012, 12:23 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wow, you only leveled at C3? I'd have to think with your experience you'll probably rip it up and get bumped next year...
Well that's because I hadn't been on skates in 10+ years!

I played traveling B2 Bantam once, and they only moved me up because half the A guys went to play varsity @ North. I'm guessing the judges probably figured I'm obviously not a beginner but am VERY rusty. I'm pretty excited to get started though!

So how serious are the C3 guys? Any interesting characters or hot heads I should look out for?

Old
10-22-2012, 02:27 PM
TLow97

Sooooooooo it's 6 days until AHA games start and I have no team... do teams not like to take on the Free Agent skaters or something? Or do teams like to have spots for subs...?

Old
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Sooooooooo it's 6 days until AHA games start and I have no team... do teams not like to take on the Free Agent skaters or something? Or do teams like to have spots for subs...?
Did you go on the AHA website and start going through teams in C3 to see if any are short on players? You should start there and email the Captains.

I know a D1 team is very short on players, maybe they'd let you drop down 1 so you can play.

Otherwise, if you're looking to get some icetime in let me know. I'm a Level 5 JMS skater but recently been trying Goalie, so hit me up if you want some practice. I'm in Champlin.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:25 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
Did you go on the AHA website and start going through teams in C3 to see if any are short on players? You should start there and email the Captains.

I know a D1 team is very short on players, maybe they'd let you drop down 1 so you can play.

Otherwise, if you're looking to get some icetime in let me know. I'm a Level 5 JMS skater but recently been trying Goalie, so hit me up if you want some practice. I'm in Champlin.
I did, and I E-Mailed the league. They said that they were still looking for a team for me, and it's likely that some of the teams that may have a spot or two open may not have their rosters updated on the website. They are also looking into C2 as an option. But yes, I'll take that advice and E-Mail the captains of those teams who look a person or two short.

I'm level 3 JMS. Do you go to the Maple Grove skates?

Old
10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
I did, and I E-Mailed the league. They said that they were still looking for a team for me, and it's likely that some of the teams that may have a spot or two open may not have their rosters updated on the website. They are also looking into C2 as an option. But yes, I'll take that advice and E-Mail the captains of those teams who look a person or two short.

I'm level 3 JMS. Do you go to the Maple Grove skates?
I skated Maple Grove yesterday for 3 hours. Half of that I was alone working on slides and skating (Goalie). Perfect place to go to work on whatever you feel.

Plymouth is open today at 11:30-1:30pm. I most likely will be going. Let me know if you do.

Then I'm playing in net in a JMS game tonight in New Hope. Actually getting eval'd. Level 1-3's, you should go.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:04 AM
TLow97

Yeah can't do the midday skates because of work and won't make it tonight but I'll look out for those sessions.

Hopefully I hear back about getting on a team. I wouldn't mind dropping to D1 if they allow it since it's my first time back in over a decade.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Yeah can't do the midday skates because of work and won't make it tonight but I'll look out for those sessions.

Hopefully I hear back about getting on a team. I wouldn't mind dropping to D1 if they allow it since it's my first time back in over a decade.
If you could somehow make tonights skate, the D1 & D2 evaluator (Tim) will be at New Hope, but the D1 Lakers only have 10 skaters and I'm sure they would be willing to work something out, especially since you haven't skated for so long. I have to be up at 5am tomorrow bro, so don't worry about it being too late. Well worth it!

Old
10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

TLow check this thread out and man if you see this, try to do whatever you can to make it tonight @ JMS New Hope. Almost a full game and would be perfect for you to talk to the AHA Eval director! Play D1 this year and have a chance to move up next year! This seems like a perfect opportunity for you and oddly enough, I may even be your Goalie!

http://forums.jmshockey.com/topic/36...650#entry17650

Old
10-24-2012, 09:46 AM
TLow97

Just sent PM

Last edited by TLow97: 10-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.