HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Thesensation19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
No doubt, Tavares > Seguin any day of the week.
You simply dont get it. Not about whose better when making a roster. they are two differ players, taveras would be trusted to be an offensive player. Guy responsible for points and offensive production. Seguin will be more heavily dependent on playing more defensively, PK situations, hard nose style forcheck and rest for the other 3 superstar lines.

yzerman and babcock understand guys like Seguin are important, thats why they chose bergeron over guys like Spezza in the 2010 games. His time was limited but it was valued and theres no wonder why he is a triple gold winner. Seguin could easily be that next type of guy.

Taveras wil have to compete with Iginla, Heatly, Getzlaf for a job. Seguin will have to compete with 4th line wingers and centers.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't see why there wouldn't be an open spot.

Let's consider that these players won't be back (Some definitely have no chance, some have a bit of a chance):

Getzlaf, Marleau, Heatley, Morrow, Iginla, Thornton. Six guys we'll assume won't make the team. How many players that weren't on the 2010 team are locks for the 2014 team? Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux, with Eberle being a likely player but I wouldn't say a lock. All those guys are going to take top six sptos, and 2 of the guys I took out (Getzlaf and Morrow) were bottom six guys, and Canada always takes double-threat guys for the bottom six. Who is better than Benn for one of those roles? I can't think of anyone.

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Jordan Eberle
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Pery
Mike Richards - Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron
Logan Couture/Evander Kane/Tyler Seguin/Jeff Skinner

I don't see any mobility problems in that bottom six.
I agree with most of what you say, particularly about the forwards who won't be returning. My projected group of forwards is almost identical to that posted by 86Habs, with the only difference being line combinations. I see Toews, Richards and Nash coming together again. I am also guessing that E. Staal and Bergeron are in the bottom 6. I have Seguin filling out that last bottom six spot instead of Benn. Seguin's speed would be a great asset, he's proven in the last year that he's a competent player defensively and he can clearly work with Bergeron. I have Eberle or Perry as 13th forward, and I don't think Benn beats either out.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Again, size matters a lot less on the international ice surface. You should be looking more at guys like Tavares (seriously - he's a lock for a scoring line role at this point), and Hall to add some speed to that lineup.

Keith vs. Phaneuf...hmmmmm....

I simply don't get your fascination with Phaneuf. Good NHLer, progressed quite a bit from his rookie year actually, but still isn't Olympic quality. He gives us nothing that Weber doesn't (which Weber does at a much higher level). Keith, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are better all-around defencemen - you have to admit that. Letang is our offensive guy, our PP QB, much like Boyle was in 2010. In Seabrook and Staal, you have excellent defensive defencemen that you can ask to PK, and play a regular shift on ES. Seabrook has chemistry with Keith, which helps, and loads of playoff experience with the Hawks. Staal is carving out a reputation as an elite shut-down defender, which we'll certainly need. Staal is a LHer too, which we're short of at the Olympic-caliber level. Neither guy has a history of poor decision-making like Phaneuf - they're safe, solid defencemen, the kind of guys you need to win a 7-game Olympic tournament. Phaneuf hasn't played a playoff game in years, and didn't excel at the WHCs this past spring, so he's not exactly building a strong case for himself.

By the way, I really don't think Phaneuf was seriously considered for 2010 either, with the insiders like MacKenzie talking about the last few spots at defense coming down to Doughty, Bouwmeester, and Robidas.

Your right, I left JT off because I forgot him lol. I think he makes the roster and I would love to see him and Crosby play with one another.

Your Phanuef to Weber argument is valid but your thinking as though Weber will be playing the entire game and wont need a rest. Weber brings everything Phanuef brings and more, but why not have a 2nd big man on your final 6-7 roster. Another big defensive minded player with a hard shot and hard hitting on the final pairing. Limited time, put him out there in the middle of periods so other guys can rest.

The same argument can be made for why is everyone wanting keith? Letang, AP and Doughty all do the same thing keith does lol. So why have another offensive d-man out there.

I see the dmen as follows

Weber- Doughty
Letang- Seabrook
AP- (X)

Those 5 guys are pretty much a lock come 2014. I think I rather have Dion Phanuef take that last spot. He was the 8th d-man for 2010. Yzerman has praised his play many times before but on a 2010 roster with Niedermeyer and Pronger, Dion had pretty much little chance. He has played for Canada on international size rinks many times before. In 2007 he won the gold, having 8 points in 7 matches.

If hes not the top 6, I think he makes the top 7 to go to Socchi.

And for those who are still bangin their head on my decision to have Heatly. Canada has always been about their dominance of size. They love having power forwards, and i know this is international size rink but lets not act like these players have never played on this size before. You act as though speed is the only importance. Imagine Heatly with more room to use his big body! I am not saying hes a lock but I am saying hell get a huge look at yzerman and babcock. On WC ice in 2009 he put up 10 points, 6 goals in 9 games. In the olympics for Canada he put up 7 points 4 goals for Canada.

Simply replacing Giroux, Stamkos, Taveras for Morrow, Iginla, Marlaue... and then replacing maybe Joe Thornton for Jordan Staal or Eberle or who have you. That in itself will be a huge speed change for Team Canada. But when you get rid of those 4 guys, you also hurt your size and physicality.

I think RNH will get a huge look come 2014 but i dont believe he will make the roster. There are far more experienced players.

I understand replace the size from 2010 for speed, but you cant ignore size either. The simple intimidation Canada brings with their players is a plus.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:42 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I agree with most of what you say, particularly about the forwards who won't be returning. My projected group of forwards is almost identical to that posted by 86Habs, with the only difference being line combinations. I see Toews, Richards and Nash coming together again. I am also guessing that E. Staal and Bergeron are in the bottom 6. I have Seguin filling out that last bottom six spot instead of Benn. Seguin's speed would be a great asset, he's proven in the last year that he's a competent player defensively and he can clearly work with Bergeron. I have Eberle or Perry as 13th forward, and I don't think Benn beats either out.
Yep, to explain my thinking on the line combos - essentially, I want two dynamic scoring/offensive lines that give different looks to the opposition (ie, the Crosby line - creativity and hockey smarts, and the Stamkos line - speed); and two balanced 2-way lines that can present an offensive threat while taking care of business in their own zone, but also offered some physicality/energy (keeping in mind the international ice context) and flexibility to create a pure "shutdown" line.

I broke-up the Toews-Nash-Richards line and dropped Perry down on the right side to create a sort of "energy" line with great physicality, scoring ability, and defensive awareness. Perry could be moved up to the Crosby line, or at least used with him on the PP. The Bergeron line is obviously also a great two-way line, with loads of international experience and flexibility to be used in a shutdown role (or alternatively we can move Bergeron or Nash up on the right side with Toews and Richards to matchup against the Malkins, Ovechkins, or Sedins of the world. Seguin can be moved up and down the lineup to inject speed say, to the Crosby line, or to take advantage of his chemistry with Bergeron.

Overall, my fundamental belief is that we should be able to roll four lines at even strength, and have all four lines present an offensive threat, including the shutdown line. If we're matching-up Bergeron/Toews/Richards/Nash against Kovalchuk/Malkin/Ovechkin, I want them to be just as worried about us as we are of them, and I think this depth was a deciding, critical factor for us in 2010.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Can Tavares play wing? If either he or Stamkos can play wing then I believe he's a lock to make this team.

Getzlaf is my favorite player in the NHL and yet I don't think his game will suit the big ice surface. I also don't like the idea of taking guys like Eric Staal to play wing - for the most part I want to stick with guys with significant experience playing wing.

Another question - can Neal play the left side? I'm assuming he can below.

Here's my stab at a lineup:

Neal - Crosby - Perry
Tavares - Stamkos - Eberle
Benn - Giroux - Carter
Richards - Toews - Nash

Keith - Doughty
Letang - Weber
Staal - Pietrangelo

I wanted to keep a balance of 4 productive lines and tried to pick players whose styles would complement one another. As for the 3 D pairings, I figure our true strength is on the right side this time around so I tried to match the LD who complemented each player best.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Your right, I left JT off because I forgot him lol. I think he makes the roster and I would love to see him and Crosby play with one another.

Your Phanuef to Weber argument is valid but your thinking as though Weber will be playing the entire game and wont need a rest. Weber brings everything Phanuef brings and more, but why not have a 2nd big man on your final 6-7 roster. Another big defensive minded player with a hard shot and hard hitting on the final pairing. Limited time, put him out there in the middle of periods so other guys can rest.

The same argument can be made for why is everyone wanting keith? Letang, AP and Doughty all do the same thing keith does lol. So why have another offensive d-man out there.

I see the dmen as follows

Weber- Doughty
Letang- Seabrook
AP- (X)

Those 5 guys are pretty much a lock come 2014. I think I rather have Dion Phanuef take that last spot. He was the 8th d-man for 2010. Yzerman has praised his play many times before but on a 2010 roster with Niedermeyer and Pronger, Dion had pretty much little chance. He has played for Canada on international size rinks many times before. In 2007 he won the gold, having 8 points in 7 matches.

If hes not the top 6, I think he makes the top 7 to go to Socchi.

And for those who are still bangin their head on my decision to have Heatly. Canada has always been about their dominance of size. They love having power forwards, and i know this is international size rink but lets not act like these players have never played on this size before. You act as though speed is the only importance. Imagine Heatly with more room to use his big body! I am not saying hes a lock but I am saying hell get a huge look at yzerman and babcock. On WC ice in 2009 he put up 10 points, 6 goals in 9 games. In the olympics for Canada he put up 7 points 4 goals for Canada.

Simply replacing Giroux, Stamkos, Taveras for Morrow, Iginla, Marlaue... and then replacing maybe Joe Thornton for Jordan Staal or Eberle or who have you. That in itself will be a huge speed change for Team Canada. But when you get rid of those 4 guys, you also hurt your size and physicality.

I think RNH will get a huge look come 2014 but i dont believe he will make the roster. There are far more experienced players.

I understand replace the size from 2010 for speed, but you cant ignore size either. The simple intimidation Canada brings with their players is a plus.
There's simply no evidence that Phaneuf was seriously considered for the 2010 team by Yzerman / Hockey Canada. We'll need to agree to disagree on him; for now, he's on my "C" team.

As far as Heatley goes, he worked for us in the past, but you're under-estimating how far he's regressed as a player in the past few years. This may be an exaggeration, but he's a shell of his former self, a 60-point player with very limited mobility who's not going to get any better. He's not Olympic caliber any more, and his scoring role will get picked up by younger, more dynamic players like Stamkos and Giroux. Nothing against Heater, who's always done well by us, but his time is up.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Arguments for Keith: Great skater; better than Phaneuf defensively; when in form one of the best defencemen in the world; actually played in the 2010 Olympics, and was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Can Tavares play wing? If either he or Stamkos can play wing then I believe he's a lock to make this team.

Getzlaf is my favorite player in the NHL and yet I don't think his game will suit the big ice surface. I also don't like the idea of taking guys like Eric Staal to play wing - for the most part I want to stick with guys with significant experience playing wing.
Both Tavares and Stamkos have played some wing internationally. Tavares played some wing at the WJs and Stamkos played on Spezza's wing at the WCs. They both seem like players who wouldn't lose much in the transition to wing.

Eric Staal is definitely an interesting case, and hopefully this NHL season starts soon so we can see if he functions well on the wing. There were rumours that he was going to spend some time on his brother's wing this season. He didn't really impress at LW in the Olympics last time.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
86Habs

Quote:

Neal - Crosby - Perry
Benn - Giroux - Carter
Richards - Toews - Nash

Keith - Doughty
Letang - Weber
Staal - Pietrangelo

I wanted to keep a balance of 4 productive lines and tried to pick players whose styles would complement one another. As for the 3 D pairings, I figure our true strength is on the right side this time around so I tried to match the LD who complemented each player best.
Now there's an interesting selection; I think you're one of, if not the first on here to have Carter in your lineup. He certainly has the attention of Hockey Canada - back in 2010 Getzlaf had injured his ankle in the week leading up to the Olympics and Carter was the guy they tapped to have his bags packed and ready. Big guy, great speed, heavy shot, good defensively - he looks good on paper, but there's always been something missing with respect to his actual performance and productivity. Kind of like Nash in that regard, I guess. Struggled with injuries through the Flyers playoff push in 2010, IIRC, and wasn't a driving force (like Kopitar/Brown/Richards) up-front in the Kings Cup drive this past spring. He probably hasn't done a whole lot of late to endear himself further to Hockey Canada or advance his cause in any way, and he may have already been passed on the depth chart by a few younger guys, but I for one would love to see him come out and make a big push for a roster spot. I don't have him on my team right now, but we all know that things can, and will, change.

We'll probably carry 13 forwards and 7 defencemen; who are your extras?

Old
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

My thought process on Carter was a few things . One, I wanted someone who has experience playing wing. Now, of our options on wing, I feel like we have a number of guys who fit into a veteran mould - Iginla, Whitney, Doan. Personally, by 2014 I don't see any of these guys playing at a high enough level, nor do I think Doan's style will suit the big ice surface. I considered Patrick Sharp too but chose Carter for the reason below.

I figured, on a line with Benn and Giroux, you don't really need a third guy out there who's a real driving force. With the other two guys controlling the play I wanted a guy who complemented them and I think Carter does that - he needs to get into open space, of which there will be plenty on the big ice surface, and break games open with his shot the way he did in the SCF this year. He also provides the size, speed, and defensive play that makes a line more difficult to contain when he's not the main threat out there. He also has familiarity with Giroux and Richards and I think that type of thing is always good for team chemistry.

IMO guys like Skinner, Hall, Kane, Seguin all need more experience - I expect some of these guys to make the cut in 2018.

For extras, I would probably take a guy like Bergeron again since he's such a versatile player, and can be used for key faceoffs. On D, I'm not sure. I think our right side is just fine with Doughty/Petro/Weber so I think we should shore up the left side - eliminating Seabrook and Girardi. Who's our next best lefty?

Old
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
86Habs

Quote:
My thought process on Carter was a few things . One, I wanted someone who has experience playing wing. Now, of our options on wing, I feel like we have a number of guys who fit into a veteran mould - Iginla, Whitney, Doan. Personally, by 2014 I don't see any of these guys playing at a high enough level, nor do I think Doan's style will suit the big ice surface. I considered Patrick Sharp too but chose Carter for the reason below.

I figured, on a line with Benn and Giroux, you don't really need a third guy out there who's a real driving force. With the other two guys controlling the play I wanted a guy who complemented them and I think Carter does that - he needs to get into open space, of which there will be plenty on the big ice surface, and break games open with his shot the way he did in the SCF this year. He also provides the size, speed, and defensive play that makes a line more difficult to contain when he's not the main threat out there. He also has familiarity with Giroux and Richards and I think that type of thing is always good for team chemistry.

IMO guys like Skinner, Hall, Kane, Seguin all need more experience - I expect some of these guys to make the cut in 2018.

For extras, I would probably take a guy like Bergeron again since he's such a versatile player, and can be used for key faceoffs. On D, I'm not sure. I think our right side is just fine with Doughty/Petro/Weber so I think we should shore up the left side - eliminating Seabrook and Girardi. Who's our next best lefty?
Since you already have Staal, we're looking at Hamhuis, Del Zotto, Coburn, Alzner, and, heaven-forbid, Phaneuf or Bouwmeester. Out of that group I wouldn't be opposed to Hamhuis or maybe Coburn, but overall given the alternatives, I'd opt for a solid RHer to round-out the group - Seabrook. At this rate we may go into the tournament with only two out of seven d-men being LHers.

What you say about Carter makes sense; especially the piece regarding chemistry with Richards and, to some extent, Giroux, and his playing style being complementary on that particular line. Let's see what him and Richards can do together in the next year and a half in LA. Bergeron would be a solid choice as your 13th in that scenario. Overall, I personally wouldn't want Toews getting 4th line minutes although that may not be your intention if you're looking at rolling the 4 lines evenly at ES.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
KareemTrustfund
Frig off Barb

Quote:
You simply dont get it. Not about whose better when making a roster. they are two differ players, taveras would be trusted to be an offensive player. Guy responsible for points and offensive production. Seguin will be more heavily dependent on playing more defensively, PK situations, hard nose style forcheck and rest for the other 3 superstar lines.

yzerman and babcock understand guys like Seguin are important, thats why they chose bergeron over guys like Spezza in the 2010 games. His time was limited but it was valued and theres no wonder why he is a triple gold winner. Seguin could easily be that next type of guy.

Taveras wil have to compete with Iginla, Heatly, Getzlaf for a job. Seguin will have to compete with 4th line wingers and centers.
Are you saying Seguin should be on the team due to his great defensive play and penalty killing? That's a new one.

And as far as Bergeron goes, I wouldn't take him again. He's a good player, great defensively, but we just DON'T need him. He was lost at both ends of the ice in 2010, and just looked like he didn't belong. The need for a player of his skillset diminishes with the big ice, no need to make the same mistake twice. The notion we need defensive "specialists" is absurd to me. The notion we need defensive "specialists" is absurd.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Just finished watching the 2010 Gold medal game on TSN 2. God help me but Luongo was scary! He couldn't catch a beach ball.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Just finished watching the 2010 Gold medal game on TSN 2. God help me but Luongo was scary! He couldn't catch a beach ball.
I imagine it would be pretty tough to catch a beach ball, with a goalie catcher on.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
I imagine it would be pretty tough to catch a beach ball, with a goalie catcher on.
Based on his play, it must have been pretty tough to catch a puck as well. I hope he is not on the team in 2014.

During the intermission Ray Farraro mentioned that Luongo looked like he was wearing 2 blockers during the game and the tying goal was only a matter of time.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
DyerMaker66

I watched that too: I love how "Canada's defence caused the GTG".

Old
10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Better than watching the debate.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:01 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Better than watching the debate.
I try to not pay attention to American politics.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
And as far as Bergeron goes, I wouldn't take him again. He's a good player, great defensively, but we just DON'T need him. He was lost at both ends of the ice in 2010, and just looked like he didn't belong. The need for a player of his skillset diminishes with the big ice, no need to make the same mistake twice. The notion we need defensive "specialists" is absurd to me. The notion we need defensive "specialists" is absurd.
Bergeron was terrible in 2010, and really was not a good pick. That being said, he is definitely a better player now than he was in 2010, and I doubt he will go with a serious wrist injury again during the Olympics.

Bergeron's skillset is actually one that I believe will be highly effective on the big ice since it's mainly based on hockey sense and positioning (his production over in Europe isn't bad either). This isn't a Zamuner or Draper type defensive specialist we're talking about. Bergeron is arguably the best defensive forward in the world and is also capable of 60+ points. Not bad for a 4th line option.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Are you referring to Parise's game tying goal in the Gold Medal Game of the 2010 Olympics? The goal where he was all alone in front of the net ready for a rebound where 2-3 Canadian d-men stepped up to attack the shooter. Which only caused more havoc as it deflected off one of the defenders giving Parise more of a chance to score on a goalie who was completely slapped in the face with the deflection and shocked as hes alone with not one (parise) but two United States players in front of the net.

That second of the mishap by Canada's defense is not where it begins either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9tH0z7U3k
This is the video and you can follow my commentary on Canada's defense.

1) 6 on 5... Already not a good thing for a goalie.
Nash contests the point, for 6 on 5, its not ideal to be so far up but Canada loves pressure. Then the puck goes to Suter on the side boards. Where Canadas center Toews comes over to contest him but why is Toews starting from the opposite point.

Its fine that Nash and Toews are watching each point by why is then Getzlaf in the middle of no where in the center area. Leaving Pavelski wide open. A great pass by Suter, a lucky bounce or rebound or deflection leaves him in a nice position. (at the .02 position)

Suter smartly decides to wrap it around the boards where Pavelski is still open and able to obtain the puck. Getzlaf now tries to apply pressure to Pavelski, which is pretty lazy in his approach but understandable for the lack of position he started off in. D-men do a good job in forcing USA behind and away from the net though.

But Pavelski slips the puck into the center where it reaches out to an open area and an unguarded Patrick Kane. WHO STARTED THIS PLAY ON THE POINT! .06 is right when Kane gets the puck and turns to shoot. Notice the HUGE change in position by all players. Toews who started out covering left point is now on the right, Nash looks to have lost Kane in his sprint to the net and is trying to catch up to him but he now switches sides. Getzlaf who was in that exact area where Kane is now is no where to be found after chasing Pavelski, leaving it 5-4 ratio of players. The left d-man who is high in the slot is the first to react to Kane shot steps up. And the other d-man who was covering the slot stepped up at the same time.
I think those D were Weber and Nieds.

Kane shot the puck. Jamie L and Zach Parise are now the ONLY men in the slot both in perfect position of a rebound or bounce. Oh yea and Parise is blocking Luongos complete vision.

Two players wide open

You can blame any fwd or any dmen but idk how much you blame Luongo... seriously.
I am not saying ANY of the following Canadians on that shift stink defensively but its the team as a whole who is to blame for the defensive mishap and lack of position.

Game tying because of good offense by USA and poor defense by Canada. Not luongo

Old
10-22-2012, 10:30 PM
DyerMaker66

I'm referring to:
A) Luongo dropping a puck he should've easily caught
and
B) Luongo giving up the greasy rebound that lead to the goal.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:

Neal - Crosby - Perry
Benn - Giroux - Carter
Richards - Toews - Nash

Keith - Doughty
Letang - Weber
Staal - Pietrangelo

First and foremost, unlike many of you guys... i realize that Canada has a pool full of talent to choose from and most of these decisions in roster choices are FINE! They can easily compete... So lets not go around saying this is wrong and that is wrong. And i hate when people bring up Player A > Player B or what have you not realizing the true meaning behind why a player is chosen. Its not always about whose better...

Anyway, on to Getzlaf. Like i said, its fine if you have him off. I dont consider him a lock but too say his style wont fit the big ice surface is probably a mistake to say. He is a top level NHL talent. His size on top of that NHL skill and poise and fitness might be better with more room to operate. Canada would probably not like to rid itself of all large players up front. If Jamie Benn and Rick Nash are the only two big guys... Im not afraid of Canada as much. We forget that Getzlaf was still very much dominant in the WJC 2004, 2005 and the WC in 2008 where he put up 14 points in 9 games. All international size rinks.

Just a point im trying to make that just cuz hes a powerforward, a large one, doesnt mean he may not be valuable come olympic time

Old
10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
I'm referring to:
A) Luongo dropping a puck he should've easily caught
and
B) Luongo giving up the greasy rebound that lead to the goal.
Yeaaaaaaaaa... i really dk about that.

First off, you dont ever blame the goalie when there is TWO opponents having NO pressure in front of your goalie.

Second, the instant when Kane is shooting a quick wrister after turning around... Parise is screening Luongo.

Third, the shot is deflected off of Niedermeyers body in attempt to block a shot. A deflection will cause problems but when a deflection occurs and your being screened. Issues will airse

Fourth, it comes back to having two guys open in front of the net. It was bound to go in...

Judgement,
Canadians have to stop blaming their goalies anytime they lose. Canadas entire defense was misshaped in a matter of 3 seconds.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Thesensation19

Canada won the 2002 Olympics with plenty of BIG guys on their team. Many of which you might proclaim would not "suit" well on international size rinks.

1) A 37 Mario Lemiuex who came out of retirement how many times? Had several operations, still had a bad back. Granted its super Mario, due to his experience his poise and his size he was a good fit for the team

2) Was Owen Nolan the BEST choice for team Canada? Was he the best choice for an international size rink

3) Was Joe niewuwendyk?

4) Ryan Smyth?

5) Was Shannahans style good for a bigger rink?

6) Was Eric Lindros lol... He didnt play the year before. He had health issues and his size was not exactly the best for an international rink...

The last few guys I mentioned all played about 6 games and around 1 point. Yet on a huge rink, Team Canada still won the Gold.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Thesensation19

Goalie-
Carey Price
Marc Andre Fluery
Cam Ward *(Reserve)

Defense
Shea Weber - Kris Letang
Drew Doughty - Alex Pietrangelo
Brent Seabrook - Duncan Keith

Reserve - Marc Staal

Forward

Stamkos - Crosby - Taveras
Nash - Toews - Richards
Perry - Getzlaf - Giroux
Staal - Seguin - Eberle

Reserve - Jamie Benn

I think thats my final choices for now

Old
10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Anyway, on to Getzlaf. Like i said, its fine if you have him off. I dont consider him a lock but too say his style wont fit the big ice surface is probably a mistake to say. He is a top level NHL talent. His size on top of that NHL skill and poise and fitness might be better with more room to operate. Canada would probably not like to rid itself of all large players up front. If Jamie Benn and Rick Nash are the only two big guys... Im not afraid of Canada as much. We forget that Getzlaf was still very much dominant in the WJC 2004, 2005 and the WC in 2008 where he put up 14 points in 9 games. All international size rinks.

Just a point im trying to make that just cuz hes a powerforward, a large one, doesnt mean he may not be valuable come olympic time
Getzlaf scored 11 goals and 57 points last year (in a full season) - that's poor production for a scoring center, and is why I'm leaving him off. What he did way back in 2004/2005 at the WJHCs is pretty much irrelevant at this point, same goes for 2008 really. If he can get back to an 80+ point pace, then I believe they'll make room for him on the team because he'll be "on", and when he's on, he's one of the best.

However, at this point he's ill-suited to move to the wing, doesn't really offer anything from a playmaking perspective that guys like Crosby, Giroux, and Tavares don't, and probably wouldn't adapt well to a bottom six type of role - he's not known as a great PKer, is only OK on faceoffs (winning % of around 50% last time I checked), and the defensive side of the game isn't bad, but its not exactly a strength of his. He was great in Vancouver for us, but those were different circumstances and he was at the top of his game then. I think we'll move in a different direction, honestly.

Closed Thread