HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part V: The "Back to square one" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Dude, you ruined it!

That's for the NHL attorney at the Alberta labor board hearing who asked Daly how many teams were in the NHL and how many of those teams were in the US. How many teams are in Canada?

Old
10-22-2012, 11:26 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Union members, more importantly their agents, figured out how to manipulate the last CBA.

Ever read Alan Walsh on twitter? The guy is a complete *******. It's clear what he is in it for. Money money money. None of these player reps give a crap about the game. They are lawyers hired to maximize profits for their clients.

A strong union is a nice idea but also means more greed and stupidity. NHL players are fun to watch play but they are also dumb and, for the most part, uneducated. Nearly all barely have high school level. They are so brain washed that they will dump 1.8billion dollars to make 200 million.

Roenick says he lost 8 million due to the last lockout. These guys are just dumb.
But my point stands. Roenick lost $8m when his weak union got pushed around. The owners knew they would get more the longer they waited. When they got the exact deal they wanted, ousted Goodenow and got their guy in place, they settled the lockout. A stronger union would have given a signal that a closer point was it, this is the max. Even now, the league has conceded much more than the last time. A bunch of quotes indicate they misjudged the players and Fehr. I think when all is said and done, we will look back and agree that a strong leadership and unified group sped up the bargaining process.

No doubt it wasn't fast enough for most fans, but a weak union resulted in a lost season. They are on the verge of a deal, because of Fehr, at least from a numbers standpoint. Owners are getting squirrely, they are breaking before the players and pushing Gary to work out a deal.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Still hoping for a deal to be done by Thursday.

Both sides will look good if they save the full season.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's going to be hysterical in a VERY VERY sad way when they come to an agreement a bunch of us were touting months ago with a dropping percentage ending at 50/50. Could've been done a while ago.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
It's going to be hysterical in a VERY VERY sad way when they come to an agreement a bunch of us were touting months ago with a dropping percentage ending at 50/50. Could've been done a while ago.
What will be even more hysterical to me is an outcome that alienates fans and drops revenue so much from the highs we've seen, that neither side makes anywhere near the money they've been making. One can dream.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The 52-53-54 is to avoid 12% escrow. Its for the first 2 years. Maybe 3. Maybe. Its either that or the NHL agrees to fund the make whole.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What will be even more hysterical to me is an outcome that alienates fans and drops revenue so much from the highs we've seen, that neither side makes anywhere near the money they've been making. One can dream.
Both sides deserve every bit of this and then some.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Giacomin

I know most fans want an agreement by Thursday but I would much rather both sides do not rush into an agreement while the core problems are still not fixed. This labor agreement should not be rushed
I am definitely pro-players on this and blame the owners 100%

Old
10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
It just seems so damn easy. Figure it out gentlemen.

10-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Would an extra week be a back-breaker?

Quote:
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Feeling among some players is 11/2 is deadline to get deal done to play 82 games -- not deadline to start playing. #nhlpa #penstalk #lockout

Old
10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
ltrangerfan

The owners aren't panicking or cracking.

whoever believes as such also believes that the owners are making a "fortune" in the NHL.

If the numbers bandied around are anyway close to accurate the majority of owners will simply opt to wait the players out. It's not their first option but a league with costs that are out of control isn't a functioning league. Not playing under this CBA is a preferable option to many. Yes these owners recognize that another lost season is detrimental to the league and their franchises but It's the route that currently is preferential.

I know It's hard to believe but many lesser players need their pay. The owners have other sources of income. Many own their franchises to stroke their ego (one of the cost containment problem) and therefore they will choose to wait.

My guess ... the pA decides to counter using the NHL assumptions and the league will come up a bit for 2012-13.

I would ultimately expect a 52-50-50--50-50-50 rev share.

It's truly the players move unless I underestimate the profitability of the NHL.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Several #NHL players making preparations to head to New York this Wednesday in hope of resuming talks with Owners
-Strickland

Old
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Levitate

It isn't better for the owners to have no season at all rather than compromise on some issues and get a new CBA that still heavily favors them...let's be realistic here. The league literally throwing away billions of dollars for the sake of squeezing a few more million out of the players is idiotic and if they do it then the NHL deserves to fail and be called a ridiculous joke until they get some owners who actually care more about the sport and less about crushing the opposing side in labor disputes

Old
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
I know most fans want an agreement by Thursday but I would much rather both sides do not rush into an agreement while the core problems are still not fixed. This labor agreement should not be rushed
I am definitely pro-players on this and blame the owners 100%
the core problems are not going to be fixed, that was never even a possible outcome and neither side is even looking at them. your options are sign the deal this week and play a full season. or cancel the season and sign the same deal thats on the table now cause the owners will just wait the players out.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It would be nice to have a full 82 game but they can play 74 games by getting the deal done by early to mid November. Begin around Thanksgiving.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

#NHL says there are no plans to meet this week...several players would like to before Thursday's "deadline" to play entire 82 game season

Old
10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

"@andystrickland: NHL's Bill Daly tells me in an e-mail there is no current intent to cancel the entire season anytime soon #NHL"

Old
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

#NHL says there are no plans to meet this week...several players would like to before Thursday's "deadline" to play entire 82 game season
I am at a loss for words.

RANGERS =
Old
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I am at a loss for words.
well then obviously either A. the deadline was crap, or B. they just don't care.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:36 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The NHL should stop announcing when they are going to meet with the PA. They don't need the media waiting outside.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Nothing as of yet...

Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
If several players r planning to go 2 NY Wed in effort 2 spark up talks, it news 2 Fehr. #NHL #NHLPA remain in contact but no meetings sched

Old
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The players should stay home. The owners should stay home. Just 4 guys need to be in the room. Not 4 owners. Not 20 players. They don't need the media waiting outside for immediate responses like the judges are scoring the fight.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
well then obviously either A. the deadline was crap, or B. they just don't care.
or C league sees no point in meeting unless the nhlpa calls with a proposal that is worth discussing.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
If the season is lost, I will absolutely lose all of my respect for the players.

We are so ****ing close to winning the Stanley Cup, but they are willing to throw out a prime season of their careers?

Lundqvist is 30 years old. If he really wants to win so badly, he should realize that he's in no position to be throwing out a season at his age.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
10-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The players should stay home. The owners should stay home. Just 4 guys need to be in the room. Not 4 owners. Not 20 players. They don't need the media waiting outside for immediate responses like the judges are scoring the fight.
Agreed. A legitimate 5th man in the ring acting as a mediator would be nice too.

A guy that can remind both sides, quickly, that theres a lot more at stake here than winning a negotiation.

Closed Thread