HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Regular Season (3-4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 10:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
I will say this; Kyle Williams is being open and honest about putting the blame on the players, and taking full responsibility for not being good enough. Refreshing to hear that.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
So how many points combined do they give up to Houston and New England? Over 100?
It's going to be bad. Real bad. The Pats will put up 50+ points. I can see Houston putting up 40+. I wonder if that'll be enough to get Chan canned.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
I don't get your hate for Fred Jackson. He may not have the speed or elusiveness Spiller does, and Spiller should be getting more carries, but he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and he's able to get quite a few yards after contact. His play isn't why this team is a pile of hot garbage.
This team team needs to fire Dave Wannstedt ASAP. The defense has been the worst I've ever seen from a bills team, hell it might be the worst NFL defense I've EVER seen.
Don't try, it'll make your brain hurt

There needs to be an insane defensive overhaul over the bye week. If Wannstedt isn't kicked to the curb, he needs to be put on a short leash. I missed this game (thanks Delta) but based on the stat sheet and everything I've seen over the last 4weeks, he is easily causing the defense to regress from last year.

Like I said, missed this one but I couldn't believe my eyes when the update popped up on my phone: 2nd and 6 with 3 minutes left, and Fitz throws an interception. Two weeks in a row a pass is called in an automatic run situation (for this team it should be automatic, anyway). I can't comment on execution or the players but I feel I can comment on the coaching: embarassing that something like that happens two weeks in a row. They refuse to learn any lessons.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:18 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I will say this; Kyle Williams is being open and honest about putting the blame on the players, and taking full responsibility for not being good enough. Refreshing to hear that.
Absolutely, and that's exactly what I'd like to hear the players saying, but I don't think the coaching staff is helping these guys on defense one bit.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
It's going to be bad. Real bad. The Pats will put up 50+ points. I can see Houston putting up 40+. I wonder if that'll be enough to get Chan canned.
Don't know about Chan, but I'd bet it would be more than enough to give Wannstedt a one-way ticket to the unemployment line.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Now this is completely from me but here is what I think: Bowe wants a contract (big money).... if the Bills successfully trade for him they'll probably give him that contract (or it will be a dumb trade). Now with all the talent that would be around Fitzpatrick if the Bills don't make the playoffs I would fully expect a QB selection with the Bills' first draft pick and part ways with Fitzpatrick. Pretty much it would be a make or break move for Fitzpatrick.

With the success rookies hald love been having in this league an opening day roster would look like this:

QB: ?
WR1: Bowe
WR2: Johnson
WR3: Nelson/Graham
TE: Chandler
RB1: Spiller
RB2: Jackson
----
That would look like an elite level Offense
I read this before the game yesterday, and thought, you can put either Manning, Brady, or Brees, etc., back there with the other talent there, and it won't matter. Bills have to be able pressure the QB, tackle a runner, and successfully defend receivers.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I read this before the game yesterday, and thought, you can put either Manning, Brady, or Brees, etc., back there with the other talent there, and it won't matter. Bills have to be able pressure the QB, tackle a runner, and successfully defend receivers.
They still need help on offense. Just because the defense is abysmal doesn't mean they should neglect positions on the offense that need upgrading (and QB is at the top of that list).

The main issue with the defense is schemes. I don't think it's a lack of talent, it's just a lack of using it. I think Wannstedt just assumed Mario would take care of pressuring the QB all on his own and completely removed blitz packages because of it. Clearly that didn't work out for him. They do have some weak areas, but a defensive coordinator that knows how to utilize what the Bills currently have would go a lot further. Then again, that could be said for the entire coaching staff.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
They still need help on offense. Just because the defense is abysmal doesn't mean they should neglect positions on the offense that need upgrading (and QB is at the top of that list).

The main issue with the defense is schemes. I don't think it's a lack of talent, it's just a lack of using it. I think Wannstedt just assumed Mario would take care of pressuring the QB all on his own and completely removed blitz packages because of it. Clearly that didn't work out for him. They do have some weak areas, but a defensive coordinator that knows how to utilize what the Bills currently have would go a lot further. Then again, that could be said for the entire coaching staff.
As much as I've always been a "it's the players" guy, I think you're right. This isn't a talentless defense, and for it to be historically bad (which it is) there has to be some real coaching issues.

To be honest, I think Wandstedt is really lazy. This team rushes four guys and plays two deep safeties almost every single play. When they do blitz it just consists of a line backer running into one of the guards. Sometimes they'll play man and the linebackers will get beat like rented mules, and other time's they'll play zone and refuse to cover the middle of the field.

It also goes past scheme, this team just looks like they aren't being coached at all. The players are making the same mistakes over and over again. I have no idea why the linebackers idea of blitzing consist of running straight into the offensive line, but somebody has to teach them how to get through and actually pressure the QB.

I also hate the fact that he sits in the pressbox, that's not coaching. Still, I think you take a QB in the 1st and spend the rest of the picks taking linebackers and cornerbacks, and wide receivers. This team is especially horrific at linebacker.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
CraniumCram
Bring back BJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
As much as I've always been a "it's the players" guy, I think you're right. This isn't a talentless defense, and for it to be historically bad (which it is) there has to be some real coaching issues.

To be honest, I think Wandstedt is really lazy. This team rushes four guys and plays two deep safeties almost every single play. When they do blitz it just consists of a line backer running into one of the guards. Sometimes they'll play man and the linebackers will get beat like rented mules, and other time's they'll play zone and refuse to cover the middle of the field.

It also goes past scheme, this team just looks like they aren't being coached at all. The players are making the same mistakes over and over again. I have no idea why the linebackers idea of blitzing consist of running straight into the offensive line, but somebody has to teach them how to get through and actually pressure the QB.

I also hate the fact that he sits in the pressbox, that's not coaching. Still, I think you take a QB in the 1st and spend the rest of the picks taking linebackers and cornerbacks, and wide receivers. This team is especially horrific at linebacker.
Manti T'eo in the first round, QB in the second (or trade for one).

Old
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
NE really doeesn't look that good, they can thank Stephen Hill for dropping the ball and the phantom pass interference in OT. They look like an old team hoping to win. Even against Denver they struggled to hold on.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Don't try, it'll make your brain hurt

There needs to be an insane defensive overhaul over the bye week. If Wannstedt isn't kicked to the curb, he needs to be put on a short leash. I missed this game (thanks Delta) but based on the stat sheet and everything I've seen over the last 4weeks, he is easily causing the defense to regress from last year.

Like I said, missed this one but I couldn't believe my eyes when the update popped up on my phone: 2nd and 6 with 3 minutes left, and Fitz throws an interception. Two weeks in a row a pass is called in an automatic run situation (for this team it should be automatic, anyway). I can't comment on execution or the players but I feel I can comment on the coaching: embarassing that something like that happens two weeks in a row. They refuse to learn any lessons.
It was 3rd down when Fitz got picked.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Manti T'eo in the first round, QB in the second (or trade for one).
QB is by far the most important position on the team. You don't try to get "value" you take the best QB you can and that means you take one in the first round.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
NE really doeesn't look that good, they can thank Stephen Hill for dropping the ball and the phantom pass interference in OT. They look like an old team hoping to win. Even against Denver they struggled to hold on.
You do remember that New England DESTROYED our defense just a few weeks ago, right?

Old
10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You do remember that New England DESTROYED our defense just a few weeks ago, right?
The Jets destroyed our defense too. As did the Titans. Destroying our defense isn't exactly a big achievement this year.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
QB is by far the most important position on the team. You don't try to get "value" you take the best QB you can and that means you take one in the first round.
JP Losman, is that you?

Old
10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
johnjm22

How often do coordinators get fired DURING the season?

If there was ever a time to do it, now would be good considering the Bills are headed into their bye week.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
buffswords

They just showed the Bears Defense on Sportscenter and how they are so good. When I was watching what the Bears run, I realized that the Bills don't do any it. The only way we will get a good defense is to fire Wannstedt, hire a defensive coordinator that knows what he's doing and go from there.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Mostly in the 4th quater. It's not like they lit it up all day.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
QB yes but not every QB in the 1st round is a franchise QB, the later down the 1st round the less likely it is. See JP Lost cause. the QB class outside of Barkley(who liely goes #1(if that team needs a QB, i'm not sure Cleveland would take him) seems weak. I see all this hype on Geno Smith but i'm not sure what people see. I do't see anything special. Just feasting on bad college defenses, yet if he faces a good one he struggles, and they said the SEC couldn't stop this offense yet 2 Big 12 teams have.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffswords View Post
They just showed the Bears Defense on Sportscenter and how they are so good. When I was watching what the Bears run, I realized that the Bills don't do any it. The only way we will get a good defense is to fire Wannstedt, hire a defensive coordinator that knows what he's doing and go from there.
Gotta have talent. As much as I hate the Cubbie Bears they have talent on D despite being older now.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
JP Losman, is that you?
You're not trying to say, because Losman failed that you shouldn't take 1st round quarterbacks are you?

Obviously it's not a guaranteed thing that the guy you will take in the 1st round will be better than somebody in the 6th, but the chances are very good.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:56 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Q. What do the Bills playoff chances have in common with this thread ?

.daed tsomla era htob ,yletanutrofnU .A

Old
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
You're not trying to say, because Losman failed that you shouldn't take 1st round quarterbacks are you?

Obviously it's not a guaranteed thing that the guy you will take in the 1st round will be better than somebody in the 6th, but the chances are very good.
I refuse to believe drafting a 1st rd QB makes the Bills a better team than a shutdown corner, dominant MLB, or a OLB who can effectively cover / pursue 20 yards to the sideline.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I refuse to believe drafting a 1st rd QB makes the Bills a better team than a shutdown corner, dominant MLB, or a OLB who can effectively cover / pursue 20 yards to the sideline.
Is Quarterback the most important position in football?

What round do you think produces the highest # of successful NFL quarterbacks? The best ones get picked earlier, do they not?

Teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Green Bay packers are poof an elite QB can make for a perennial 10-14 win team every year. Having a shutdown corner or elite linebacker is nowhere near the same as having an elite QB.

Until this team gets an elite QB, everything else is priority #2.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Mostly in the 4th quater. It's not like they lit it up all day.
Is that supposed to make it better? It's worse!!

With 3:39 remaining in the 3rd, it was a tie game. In the next 18:39 of football, New England had 5 possessions. They scored 4 TDs and a FG.

Quote:
Shutdown corner only covers one side of the field. One LB helps a lot, but still 10 other spots on the defense than can get lit up. (And on this team, do.)

QB touches the ball every play. Every rule in the game is to give the offense an advantage. At this point, I'll take a Trent Dilfer style QB that won't win games on his own, but sure has heck won't float a ball into double coverage with 3 minutes left sitting on a 6 point lead.

Closed Thread