David Krejci Says Bettman Treats Players Like Animals

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Strafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I guess the leagues PR spin doctor was effective or is the backlash here because Krejci's still everyone's whipping boy?

The players are by no means innocent in all of this but it takes two to tango.

The fact that Krejci even said something is amusing considering he always tows the company line.
^^^^^^^^ tHIS!
I've advocated trading DK for a little while now but I have to say that the ugly mood here is too much. We don't even know exactly what he said and many here have jumped on the hate wagon. So, if they do come to an agreement this "season" are we going to have to hear people blasting him on a daily basis? Cool your jets people. BTW, the players didn't lock the owners and fans out, it was the other way around. The owners are in the drivers seat and make no bondes about it. It's their game to destroy and they are doing it for greed.

Last edited by Strafer: 10-22-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 03:26 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You can't understand why Krejci is saying Bettman is treating the NHLPA like crap? Really?
No, I don't follow how a 50/50 split is unfair. Everyone has an equal share that's how it should be, no one is better than anyone else, everyone is working for each other.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan001 View Post
No, I don't follow how a 50/50 split is unfair. Everyone has an equal share that's how it should be, no one is better than anyone else, everyone is working for each other.
The players proposed a 50-50 split and want their contracts honored. Bettman said they were "lying" and took 15 minutes to reject their proposals. Yet it's the players who are to blame.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
https://twitter.com/NHLPA/status/260472742896365568

Quote:
Bleacher Report fans agree owners should honour signed contracts. Take the poll here: http://ply.rs/eG6ik
Well, end the lockout now, the Bleacher Report has spoken!

Old
10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
The players proposed a 50-50 split and want their contracts honored. Bettman said they were "lying" and took 15 minutes to reject their proposals. Yet it's the players who are to blame.
Bettman is an idiot everyone knows that, but the concept itself is logical. Also the contracts they signed were subject to change, no one forced them to sign it. If it was going to be a problem it should have been brought to the leagues attention years ago. In my opinion the players collectively made a mistake by over looking this factor.

Old
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
It's hard to tell because it's text on a message board...but, I'm pretty sure that DKH was being sarcastic?
Without emoticons I am lost....

Old
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
^^^^^^^^ tHIS!
I've advocated trading DK for a little while now but I have to say that the ugly mood here is too much. We don't even know exactly what he said and many here have jumped on the hate wagon. So, if they do come to an agreement this "season" are we going to have to hear people blasting him on a daily basis? Cool your jets people.
It was a dumb thing to say, and that's looking at it completely independently from my views of him as a player.

Patience and sympathy is running thin...hard for me to feel for a guy that's making these comments from Europe, playing hockey and collecting a paycheck while my bank account is getting dinged for a few hundred bucks a month for a product that doesn't exist at the moment.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Strafer

As a consumer you have choices. That was your choice. Most of us are struggling to pay the mortgage and such. You are paying that money to the owners at this point. I haven't read the article and honestly unless I got a direct translation from someone who speaks Czec and English I refuse to judge DK.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Jagr gets it

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...mir-jagr-says/

Old
10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
“Cheating. I don’t know what he meant by the word. When someone owns something and wants to make as much as possible, you can’t call that cheating. You’d have to call a half of the world cheaters. It’s simply business. True, they need us to do the business, but still, they own it. And another thing: hockey is not the main thing for most of the owners. They make their money elsewhere. Unlike us, hockey players. They set the rules, no doubt about that.”

Old
10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
stick9

The comments section is gold, and here I thought the clowns on TSN were bad.

Neither sets of fans get that the players want to work but their bosses have locked them out of the building, without pay.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Bettman is an idiot everyone knows that, but the concept itself is logical. Also the contracts they signed were subject to change, no one forced them to sign it. If it was going to be a problem it should have been brought to the leagues attention years ago. In my opinion the players collectively made a mistake by over looking this factor.
The players shouldn't have signed contracts because the owners probably wouldn't honor them, hence it's the players' fault?

George Orwell lives.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
He did an interview to the Czech media. This is hilarious especially since he never says anything like this.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-like-animals/
If he's an animal.. i must be pond scum then.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
“Cheating. I don’t know what he meant by the word. When someone owns something and wants to make as much as possible, you can’t call that cheating. You’d have to call a half of the world cheaters. It’s simply business. True, they need us to do the business, but still, they own it. And another thing: hockey is not the main thing for most of the owners. They make their money elsewhere. Unlike us, hockey players. They set the rules, no doubt about that.”
Not wanting to honor existing contract is pretty cheesy. Those owners agreed to those deals and they are legal documents. Trying to get back some of that could be seen as cheating the players.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

They aren't locking them out for fun. I love how that part keeps getting overlooked.

The players want to work under terms that the owners do not find to be agreeable. The owners are offering terms that the players are not agreeable to playing under. This is a two way street. Neither side is innocent, so let's stop pretending that the players are ready to strap on some old pillows as pads and go find the nearest frozen lake to play for the love of the game.

That said, it's completely bogus that existing contracts may not be honored. I'd be ******** about that too. But the spin machine on both sides needs to stop. Just put your head down and get your **** in order.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
The players shouldn't have signed contracts because the owners probably wouldn't honor them, hence it's the players' fault?

George Orwell lives.
Yes, I think they could have done a little more homework early on if they realized what was involved with signing the contracts (i.e legal involvement). I mentioned this in another thread, I've never seen what a players contract entails so I can only speculate, but from the sense I get theres nothing in those contracts about honoring a deal after the current CBA expires. Yeah, honestly some guys are probably ****ed now for not seeing this and acting on it but life isn't always going to be fair and thats the way the current business world works.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

I'm sorry for giving you a earlier in the thread DK. Many of the posters here have shown me the error of my ways. I you man.... In a noted tough guy kind of way of course

Old
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Love Krejci but shut your mouth, man. Ugh.

I can understand the player's plight and not agree with it but it's going to rub many people the wrong way when a millionaire that's being paid to play a game is saying his commissioner is treating him like "an animal"

Jagr on the other hand seems to understand it completely from both sides of the coin. Tons of respect gained for him with those comments.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Maybe 50/50 profit split, but players should not be guaranteed more than the guys paying their salaries.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Maybe 50/50 profit split, but players should not be guaranteed more than the guys paying their salaries.
I don't disagree. I also don't believe the guys paying the players salaries should have the advantage either, they aren't the ones traveling away from their families and putting their bodies on the line almost every night. Look at it this way, without the owners you don't have the systems set in place for a league to exist and function, without the players you don't have athletes to advertise the sport and generate revenue. Ultimately, they need each other if they want to have success.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Not wanting to honor existing contract is pretty cheesy. Those owners agreed to those deals and they are legal documents. Trying to get back some of that could be seen as cheating the players.
Contracts don't mean squat if there is no CBA however..Lots of people had contracts from Enron as well.. Now, I think the contracts should be honored as well, and both sides need to make sure this happens, but there will have to be give backs in other areas to make this feasible. If 25 out of 30 businesses don't make money in any industry, there would be businesses going out and contraction.... It's just the real world.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
The problem is if you're part of a league where revenue sharing is how EVERYONE is paid, you, as a player, need to understand that when a new CBA needs to be signed, your salary could indeed fluctuate.

I just never understood the argument of "Well what if your boss came to you and said you needed to take 12% less than what you're making huh!? what then?!".. well I don't share revenue with my company and if I did, I'd completely understand that my salary would and could be different at the signing of the next CBA. Do I have to like it? No.. and it's worth discussing and negotiating but let's stop drawing likenesses to every day people and jobs. They aren't the same and they never will be the same.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
I don't disagree. I also don't believe the guys paying the players salaries should have the advantage either, they aren't the ones traveling away from their families and putting their bodies on the line almost every night. Look at it this way, without the owners you don't have the systems set in place for a league to exist and function, without the players you don't have athletes to advertise the sport and generate revenue. Ultimately, they need each other if they want to have success.
Without these athletes you still have thousands of others to chose from. More money doesn't reduce the physical risk taken on by the players, and less money doesn't reduce the financial risk of the owners. That is where something needs to be sorted out.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Why not? They are the ones that people are paying to see.

The sentimental "50/50 sounds fair" idea was exactly what ownership figured it would fall back on when they started with their first "offer."

Whoever decided to expand into places like Phoenix and Columbus deserve to lose on their investments. There are plenty of hockey cities that would do better. The league has an ownership problem, not a players problem.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
Without these athletes you still have thousands of others to chose from. More money doesn't reduce the physical risk taken on by the players, and less money doesn't reduce the financial risk of the owners. That is where something needs to be sorted out.
I agree, more can be done to make the game safer to play thats for sure (more research is needed, especially regarding concussions), but overall hockey will always be considered a violent sport.

Closed Thread