HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Scott Feldman sucks. Won't get that money or years.
He made 6.5M this past season, and has an option for 9.25M this year (which will probably not be picked up). I was really just trying to lineup with that value. He had an FIP of 3.81, and an xFIP of 3.87 last year. I'm not saying sign him to be the Ace of the staff, but he is a value play, and could slide in as a #4 starter. Oh, and that pitcher who 'sucks' would have had the second highest pitching WAR on the Blue Jays. Second to only Brandon Morrow (2.4 vs. 2.3) in the same amount of games started.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
I want to see them add:

Sanchez
Peavy/Haren
Otani (spelling?) If you dont about him, google it. Pretty much throws 99-100, and hes only18.
Prado/Uggla

Thats me being realistic.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

If I were to be a little unrealistic for a second, I want the Jays to grab

(Manager)
Lincecum
Hernandez
Ortiz

Old
10-22-2012, 02:27 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Wait, did I just see Transplanted Caper? Must have been a mirage.

Anyway, sounds like Ausmus is going to have other options, so it comes down to how desirable the Toronto opportunity is seen to be. Alomar apparently taking himself out of the equation raises questions. If a promising managerial candidate comes here (again), will it just be as a stepping stone to another opportunity elsewhere? Does Toronto have enough potential to be able to attract - and keep - a top manager?

Don't mind me, my Toronto-based inferiority complex is showing.
Toronto can be an "IT" destination again and what cures all that winning. Managers now are looking at ownership and the lack of willingness to spend over the past 3 years and the constant well our farm team is well stock message and guys are thinking why go there if the MLB team is crap and they don't spend to make it better.

The farm system does not really help an MLB manager who is judge on wins and losses.

Once they fix the MLB team and bring in MLB talent you will see more managers look at Toronto as a good place to manage

Old
10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Jays designate Chad Beck to make room for Bobby Wilson. I don't really get it. At least he throws hard and could be something. Bobby Wilson is useless. Not understanding why McCoy is still on the 40 man roster.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
topched

Quote:
Jays designate Chad Beck to make room for Bobby Wilson. I don't really get it. At least he throws hard and could be something. Bobby Wilson is useless. Not understanding why McCoy is still on the 40 man roster.

MUST BE TRADING ARENCIBIA

lol

Old
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Maybe an Arencibia trade is imminent, and they want d'Arnaud to start in Buffalo for a month or two. Two months of Wilson and Mathis, even batting ninth, is just ugly though.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Again another head scratcher by AA. Why use a roster spot on someone who will be in Buffalo for the year and really not get any playing time with D'Arnaud there.

You take off a guy like Beck who can be used for depth in case of injuries.

The jury has been out for me on AA and this is just another move that makes me wonder why even make it. How many minor league veteran catchers are free to get any time without giving up a roster spot for. Sign him to a minor league deal instead and you don't have to add him to the MLB roster.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB
Wilson is out of options on his contract and was a potential non-tender candidate for the #Angels according to @Alden_Gonzalez #BlueJays
I'd expect Wilson to be taken off the 40 man when somebody needs a spot. Maybe the Jays hope he will clear waivers to give them some Triple A depth.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Ideal?

FAs.
David Ortiz
Dan Haren
Michael Bourn

Trade:
Brett Anderson or Max Scherzer
Ian Kinsler

Manager:
Joe Torre (ha!)

Old
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Alomar Jr.

Free Agency:

Michael Bourn: Throw money at him. On base machine... not much of a power threat, but he's Rajai Davis on steroids. Let the guy hit leadoff and set the table for Jose and EE.

Kyle Lohse/Dan Haren: Both guys with experience who battle and could survive in the AL East.

Trades:

Obviously so many possibilities, but I'd like for them to explore moving escobar, perhaps for an arm or 1B/DH bat, give Hech the reigns.

That ^ only works if the jays can find a good replacement at 2b. Going out and getting a vet like Mark Ellis from the Dodgers would be okay just from a veteran leadership standpoint, preferably they'd go out and get someone like Gordon Beckham or Jason Kipnis who would be able to get the job done for years to come, but those guys likely arent candidates to get moves.

Scary to think that the guy who might fit into our lineup the best right now is Arizona's 2bagger.
What makes you think that? If anything, Kyle Lohse is one of the prime candidates to implode in the AL East.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Zaun will be on PTS later this evening. I'm interested to see what he has to say about the Farrell situation.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Zaun will be on PTS later this evening. I'm interested to see what he has to say about the Farrell situation.
Probably upset that we didn't get Bucholz + Pedroia and anyone else on the roster who is of use.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:04 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
What makes you think that? If anything, Kyle Lohse is one of the prime candidates to implode in the AL East.
If you get the Lohse from this year I think you're getting a solid pitcher no matter what league you're in.

Certainly if you look at his whole body of work, he's a risky proposition.

Was trying to be relatively realistic in realizin there's no way were getting someone like Greinke.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
AA on at 6pm aswell for those who didn't see it on the 1st page.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Realistic Off-season?

Couple AAAA scrubs to fill out 25 man roster, no money spent, and a couple useless trades for supposed buy low, high value players.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
He said last night that if Boston ownership was dead set on getting Farrell and only Farrell they should have slowed the process down and made the Jays force the Red Sox hand.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Neil Walker + Garrett Jones

For

J.P. Arencibia + Yunel Escobar + Mike Aviles

Davis
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Jones
Walker
Rasmus
Hech
Mathis/D'Arnaud

Old
10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

For

Davis
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Jones
Walker
Rasmus
Hech
Mathis/D'Arnaud
I do think Neil Walker is a target, he is a super 2 player and Pittsburgh likely cant afford the spike in salary.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

For

Heck no.

I would however do Jp for Walker straight up. Give or take a minor prospect to make it work.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Heck no.

I would however do Jp for Walker straight up. Give or take a minor prospect to make it work.
I'm hoping Escobar can fetch us more than what that proposal suggests... but I worry that his reputations is going to do us in.

If thats the case we might be better off hoping our new manager can get him in line... and get back to swinging the bat like we've seen flashes of.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Realistic Off-season?

Couple AAAA scrubs to fill out 25 man roster, no money spent, and a couple useless trades for supposed buy low, high value players.
This is one off-season where being a pessimist/skeptic is actually the least realistic scenario, as both President and GM have indicated the team will be active on both the trade and FA front to acquire players that can move the team into contention for 2013. Scrubs and projects don't fit that description.

You may yet be proven right if they strike out entirely, but that seems unlikely.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
This is one off-season where being a pessimist/skeptic is actually the least realistic scenario, as both President and GM have indicated the team will be active on both the trade and FA front to acquire players that can move the team into contention for 2013. Scrubs and projects don't fit that description.

You may yet be proven right if they strike out entirely, but that seems unlikely.
I agree AA and Beeston have been talking a big game, it would behoove them to hit for the fences on this one. Especially since AA has been hinting at getting an Ace (PTS and TSN interviews)

Old
10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
trellaine201

why is AA picking up more and more scrubs every day?????? please someone explain.

these guys are fodder.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
why is AA picking up more and more scrubs every day?????? please someone explain.

these guys are fodder.
He's just playing with the system. None of these guys are going to have an impact role (or possibly even a role) with the Jays.

Closed Thread