HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
09-16-2012, 12:52 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
College Football needs to last 7 more months.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
College Football needs to last 7 more months.
Well, we do have the NFL which goes to February. I kind of wish I could see Olympic sports though this winter but they won't be on. I already miss the Olympics.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm sure you're kidding, but Couture can't be signed until a year from now.

The Lucic contract is awful.
I disagree. Lucic is overpayed by maybe $500k. And if he was a UFA he easily would have gotten $6 mil or more. Lucic is actually a better version of the Clowe people imagine Clowe to be. Lucic DOES terrify opposing players with his physical play. Lucic DOES stand up for his team-mates. Lucic IS a pretty consistent scoring threat (I expect around 25 goals per year). People like say Clowe is that, but he only is about 20-30% of the time at best. Lucic is that all the time. Like Clowe, his style of play will wear down on his body. But he's younger than Clowe (5 years younger!), much more effective than Clowe, and is major presence in the locker room by all reports. Lastly, don't forget that the contract does not have an NTC or anything similar.

I would take Lucic on this contract over Clowe at his current contract in a heart-beat. Let alone at whatever DW is likely to overpay Clowe on his new contract.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
KirbyDots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I disagree. Lucic is overpayed by maybe $500k. And if he was a UFA he easily would have gotten $6 mil or more. Lucic is actually a better version of the Clowe people imagine Clowe to be. Lucic DOES terrify opposing players with his physical play. Lucic DOES stand up for his team-mates. Lucic IS a pretty consistent scoring threat (I expect around 25 goals per year). People like say Clowe is that, but he only is about 20-30% of the time at best. Lucic is that all the time. Like Clowe, his style of play will wear down on his body. But he's younger than Clowe (5 years younger!), much more effective than Clowe, and is major presence in the locker room by all reports. Lastly, don't forget that the contract does not have an NTC or anything similar.

I would take Lucic on this contract over Clowe at his current contract in a heart-beat. Let alone at whatever DW is likely to overpay Clowe on his new contract.
I've been following the Bruins since moving to Boston and I'd have to agree for the most part with what you're saying. Lucic is an important part of the Bruins lineup, so much so that I would say his effort and style of play are an integral part of the team's identity. I do thinking its an overpayment of about half a mil, but he really does seem to be a lynchpin player for their team. All that said, I think the guy has a thuggish streak a mile wide. He has made tabloid headlines around Boston for allegedly hitting his girlfriend, not to mention his more visible on ice play (running Miller etc.). He's a fun player to watch but definitely not my favorite Bruin.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I've been following the Bruins since moving to Boston and I'd have to agree for the most part with what you're saying. Lucic is an important part of the Bruins lineup, so much so that I would say his effort and style of play are an integral part of the team's identity. I do thinking its an overpayment of about half a mil, but he really does seem to be a lynchpin player for their team. All that said, I think the guy has a thuggish streak a mile wide. He has made tabloid headlines around Boston for allegedly hitting his girlfriend, not to mention his more visible on ice play (running Miller etc.). He's a fun player to watch but definitely not my favorite Bruin.
Not sure how true it is but it seems like some bruins fans think he's been getting lazy and floats a little but they did say that if he plays the way he can 80-100% of the time then he's worth this contract.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:40 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Not sure how true it is but it seems like some bruins fans think he's been getting lazy and floats a little but they did say that if he plays the way he can 80-100% of the time then he's worth this contract.
Its slightly true, that whole top line is like that. The 2nd line on the Bruins is much more consistent.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
With all these last minute pre-lockout signings, can we extend Couture for 5 years at 5 million?

It amazes me how owners talk about **** costing too much and then signing Lucic for 6 million a year.
Seriously. Contract length is a farce too. It's hard to take owners seriously about wanting to limit contracts to 5 years when they handed out several 6 year deals right before the CBA expired.

Edit: I've had my issues with DW, but I do respect him very much for not taking any part in cap circumventing deals.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

So lets say we have a season or partial season. Any way we can keep zues from returning from playing in Europe. Or, can he just choose to return? This would get is cap hit off the books, his contract would expire next summer and we lose him :-)

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:18 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-42341

Puck Daddy Picks the Sharks 4th to 6th. Nothing really new in what he says.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Korolyuk15

not on topic or relevant to anything but Korky is currently leading the KHL in goals with 7 in the first 12 games :-)

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
IF this season is lost due to lockout I wouldn't mind if the sharks traded veterans for younger players because I hate to say it but personally I think our window at the cup has closed

Or maybe it's just the lockout in me talking...

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Winky

All this speculating ... for nothing.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
All this speculating ... for nothing.

Over 8,500 posts.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I'll the be GM of the sharks in an up-coming mock GM game, and I need some advice. Trying to bring a cup to the Tank!

Is Handzus an acceptable 3C? I'd like to move Couture to the wing, but not sure if Handzus can pull that kind of weight.

Your D looks very strong to me with your current top 6. How are they being paired right now?

Looking at your roster, it seems to me like your biggest needs are a #3C (If you stack the top 6), new 4th line wingers, and a #1G. Are those right? Anything I'm missing?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'll the be GM of the sharks in an up-coming mock GM game, and I need some advice. Trying to bring a cup to the Tank!

Is Handzus an acceptable 3C? I'd like to move Couture to the wing, but not sure if Handzus can pull that kind of weight.

Your D looks very strong to me with your current top 6. How are they being paired right now?

Looking at your roster, it seems to me like your biggest needs are a #3C (If you stack the top 6), new 4th line wingers, and a #1G. Are those right? Anything I'm missing?
If Handzus returns to the way he played before last year, he's fine as a #3 IMO. If not, we'll see. But Couture is definitely not the 3rd-line C, he's the 2nd-line C.

The Sharks don't need a #1 G, Niemi is fine. Robinson will improve the D play, which was attrocious last year on the PK and PP, which should help his stats.

Basically, the line-up will probably look like this:

Marleau - JT- Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Shephard - Handzus - Wingels
Galliardi - Desjardins - Burish
McLaren
McCarthy

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Murray - Demers / Braun

Niemi
Griess

I think the only real needs are more 2/3rd-line tweeners if they can be gotten at a good price.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:09 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:

You got it right. Defense is great on paper, third line center is sorely lacking, and there is no depth at wing. The 3rd and 4th lines will be shuffled constantly.

Handzus was shamefully bad last season - consistently the Sharks worst player. Some think he will bounce back given another season, but that's pretty wishful thinking considering his previous performance. Hopefully Burish brings some of the PK help Handzus was supposed to bring, but failed miserably.

The two biggest hopefuls are a continued progression of Tommy Wingels and a healthy TJ Galiardi. Those two have the potential to really carry an effective 3rd line if the lack of a center doesn't bring them down too much.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Much appreciated, thanks.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Shepard would be great to have at #3C if he plays as well as the Worcester coaches say he has.

Galiardi - Sheppard - Wingels

Would be a physical line with a lot of playmaking ability and decent shooting. In theory of course.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

One thing about GM games is it's all about reputation. I'll keep these guys (Wingles, Sheppard) in mind, but I'm definetly going to look for an elite #3C

Old
10-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
but I'm definetly going to look for an elite #3C
Please do.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Need more advice!

I see Petrecki and Sheppard are still RFAs. What do you think their deals should look like and where would you feel comfortable with them playing in your line-up next year?

Appearently I've been getting spied on...

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 10-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Need more advice!

I see Petrecki and Sheppard are still RFAs. What do you think their deals should look like and where would you feel comfortable with them playing in your line-up next year?

A few deals to get an opinion on:

Clowe for Lu, then Niemi for Kulemin/Macarthur. So basically Clowe+Niemi for Lu+Kule/Mac

Demers/Braun for either Korpi or Clutterbuck

This one I think is bad, but just confirming that it is bad: Marleau+Braun for Krejci+Thomas

Thanks for the help
Sheppard and Petrecki are longshots, not likely to have significant effect.

I wouldn't touch Lu at all and Nemo isn't that good.

I would keep Braun over Demers by quite a bit although some here would disagree.

Nix the Marleau, Krejci, Thomas thing as well. At best it is sideways.

Clowe/MacArthur might be interesting, but again very likely sideways.

The Sharks' needs are first scoring depth and secondly goal which you seem to have identified.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The Sharks' needs are first scoring depth and secondly goal which you seem to have identified.
Appearently I've been getting spied on...

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 10-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
freddypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Sheppard and Petrecki are longshots, not likely to have significant effect.

I wouldn't touch Lu at all and Nemo isn't that good.

I would keep Braun over Demers by quite a bit although some here would disagree.

Nix the Marleau, Krejci, Thomas thing as well. At best it is sideways.

Clowe/MacArthur might be interesting, but again very likely sideways.

I have watched Demers play in Finland, huge mistake if he is dumped over Braun, Braun is just to
soft for me, hated watching him in the playoffs get the snot kicked out of him, doesn't hit anybody etc...IMO

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Definelty. The Lu guy is saying other teams are increasing their offers, and I won't go much higher than Clowe. I do think a Clowe+Niemi for Lu+Kulemin swap would improve the Sharks by a smaller margin.

At this point, I'm leaning toward trading Braun/Demers for a 2/3 W (like a Korpikoski). Who do I keep, who do I trade?
I don't like Lu as an option. Done like dinner. Too much like Nemo in his deficits as a goalie although he is a better goalie than Nemo. And Lu is far too expensive capwise. Let another team buy the headache.

I like Korpikoski. You can trade Braun or Demers but not both. The Sharks AHL depth on d is pathetic.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote