HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2012, 12:52 AM
  #551
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,637
vCash: 2810
College Football needs to last 7 more months.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
  #552
SJSharksfan39
Registered User
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
College Football needs to last 7 more months.
Well, we do have the NFL which goes to February. I kind of wish I could see Olympic sports though this winter but they won't be on. I already miss the Olympics.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:21 AM
  #553
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm sure you're kidding, but Couture can't be signed until a year from now.

The Lucic contract is awful.
I disagree. Lucic is overpayed by maybe $500k. And if he was a UFA he easily would have gotten $6 mil or more. Lucic is actually a better version of the Clowe people imagine Clowe to be. Lucic DOES terrify opposing players with his physical play. Lucic DOES stand up for his team-mates. Lucic IS a pretty consistent scoring threat (I expect around 25 goals per year). People like say Clowe is that, but he only is about 20-30% of the time at best. Lucic is that all the time. Like Clowe, his style of play will wear down on his body. But he's younger than Clowe (5 years younger!), much more effective than Clowe, and is major presence in the locker room by all reports. Lastly, don't forget that the contract does not have an NTC or anything similar.

I would take Lucic on this contract over Clowe at his current contract in a heart-beat. Let alone at whatever DW is likely to overpay Clowe on his new contract.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
  #554
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I disagree. Lucic is overpayed by maybe $500k. And if he was a UFA he easily would have gotten $6 mil or more. Lucic is actually a better version of the Clowe people imagine Clowe to be. Lucic DOES terrify opposing players with his physical play. Lucic DOES stand up for his team-mates. Lucic IS a pretty consistent scoring threat (I expect around 25 goals per year). People like say Clowe is that, but he only is about 20-30% of the time at best. Lucic is that all the time. Like Clowe, his style of play will wear down on his body. But he's younger than Clowe (5 years younger!), much more effective than Clowe, and is major presence in the locker room by all reports. Lastly, don't forget that the contract does not have an NTC or anything similar.

I would take Lucic on this contract over Clowe at his current contract in a heart-beat. Let alone at whatever DW is likely to overpay Clowe on his new contract.
I've been following the Bruins since moving to Boston and I'd have to agree for the most part with what you're saying. Lucic is an important part of the Bruins lineup, so much so that I would say his effort and style of play are an integral part of the team's identity. I do thinking its an overpayment of about half a mil, but he really does seem to be a lynchpin player for their team. All that said, I think the guy has a thuggish streak a mile wide. He has made tabloid headlines around Boston for allegedly hitting his girlfriend, not to mention his more visible on ice play (running Miller etc.). He's a fun player to watch but definitely not my favorite Bruin.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
  #555
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I've been following the Bruins since moving to Boston and I'd have to agree for the most part with what you're saying. Lucic is an important part of the Bruins lineup, so much so that I would say his effort and style of play are an integral part of the team's identity. I do thinking its an overpayment of about half a mil, but he really does seem to be a lynchpin player for their team. All that said, I think the guy has a thuggish streak a mile wide. He has made tabloid headlines around Boston for allegedly hitting his girlfriend, not to mention his more visible on ice play (running Miller etc.). He's a fun player to watch but definitely not my favorite Bruin.
Not sure how true it is but it seems like some bruins fans think he's been getting lazy and floats a little but they did say that if he plays the way he can 80-100% of the time then he's worth this contract.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:40 AM
  #556
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Not sure how true it is but it seems like some bruins fans think he's been getting lazy and floats a little but they did say that if he plays the way he can 80-100% of the time then he's worth this contract.
Its slightly true, that whole top line is like that. The 2nd line on the Bruins is much more consistent.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
  #557
Eighth Fret
Registered User
 
Eighth Fret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
With all these last minute pre-lockout signings, can we extend Couture for 5 years at 5 million?

It amazes me how owners talk about **** costing too much and then signing Lucic for 6 million a year.
Seriously. Contract length is a farce too. It's hard to take owners seriously about wanting to limit contracts to 5 years when they handed out several 6 year deals right before the CBA expired.

Edit: I've had my issues with DW, but I do respect him very much for not taking any part in cap circumventing deals.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
  #558
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
So lets say we have a season or partial season. Any way we can keep zues from returning from playing in Europe. Or, can he just choose to return? This would get is cap hit off the books, his contract would expire next summer and we lose him :-)

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:18 AM
  #559
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-42341

Puck Daddy Picks the Sharks 4th to 6th. Nothing really new in what he says.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:20 AM
  #560
Korolyuk15
Registered User
 
Korolyuk15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
not on topic or relevant to anything but Korky is currently leading the KHL in goals with 7 in the first 12 games :-)

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:51 AM
  #561
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR
 
Thorntonfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
IF this season is lost due to lockout I wouldn't mind if the sharks traded veterans for younger players because I hate to say it but personally I think our window at the cup has closed

Or maybe it's just the lockout in me talking...

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
  #562
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
All this speculating ... for nothing.


Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
  #563
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
All this speculating ... for nothing.

Over 8,500 posts.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
  #564
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
I'll the be GM of the sharks in an up-coming mock GM game, and I need some advice. Trying to bring a cup to the Tank!

Is Handzus an acceptable 3C? I'd like to move Couture to the wing, but not sure if Handzus can pull that kind of weight.

Your D looks very strong to me with your current top 6. How are they being paired right now?

Looking at your roster, it seems to me like your biggest needs are a #3C (If you stack the top 6), new 4th line wingers, and a #1G. Are those right? Anything I'm missing?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:05 PM
  #565
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'll the be GM of the sharks in an up-coming mock GM game, and I need some advice. Trying to bring a cup to the Tank!

Is Handzus an acceptable 3C? I'd like to move Couture to the wing, but not sure if Handzus can pull that kind of weight.

Your D looks very strong to me with your current top 6. How are they being paired right now?

Looking at your roster, it seems to me like your biggest needs are a #3C (If you stack the top 6), new 4th line wingers, and a #1G. Are those right? Anything I'm missing?
If Handzus returns to the way he played before last year, he's fine as a #3 IMO. If not, we'll see. But Couture is definitely not the 3rd-line C, he's the 2nd-line C.

The Sharks don't need a #1 G, Niemi is fine. Robinson will improve the D play, which was attrocious last year on the PK and PP, which should help his stats.

Basically, the line-up will probably look like this:

Marleau - JT- Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Shephard - Handzus - Wingels
Galliardi - Desjardins - Burish
McLaren
McCarthy

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Murray - Demers / Braun

Niemi
Griess

I think the only real needs are more 2/3rd-line tweeners if they can be gotten at a good price.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:09 PM
  #566
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'll the be GM of the sharks in an up-coming mock GM game, and I need some advice. Trying to bring a cup to the Tank!

Is Handzus an acceptable 3C? I'd like to move Couture to the wing, but not sure if Handzus can pull that kind of weight.

Your D looks very strong to me with your current top 6. How are they being paired right now?

Looking at your roster, it seems to me like your biggest needs are a #3C (If you stack the top 6), new 4th line wingers, and a #1G. Are those right? Anything I'm missing?
You got it right. Defense is great on paper, third line center is sorely lacking, and there is no depth at wing. The 3rd and 4th lines will be shuffled constantly.

Handzus was shamefully bad last season - consistently the Sharks worst player. Some think he will bounce back given another season, but that's pretty wishful thinking considering his previous performance. Hopefully Burish brings some of the PK help Handzus was supposed to bring, but failed miserably.

The two biggest hopefuls are a continued progression of Tommy Wingels and a healthy TJ Galiardi. Those two have the potential to really carry an effective 3rd line if the lack of a center doesn't bring them down too much.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
  #567
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
Much appreciated, thanks.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  #568
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 50
Shepard would be great to have at #3C if he plays as well as the Worcester coaches say he has.

Galiardi - Sheppard - Wingels

Would be a physical line with a lot of playmaking ability and decent shooting. In theory of course.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
  #569
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
One thing about GM games is it's all about reputation. I'll keep these guys (Wingles, Sheppard) in mind, but I'm definetly going to look for an elite #3C

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:37 PM
  #570
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
but I'm definetly going to look for an elite #3C
Please do.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  #571
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
Need more advice!

I see Petrecki and Sheppard are still RFAs. What do you think their deals should look like and where would you feel comfortable with them playing in your line-up next year?

Appearently I've been getting spied on...


Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 10-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
  #572
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Need more advice!

I see Petrecki and Sheppard are still RFAs. What do you think their deals should look like and where would you feel comfortable with them playing in your line-up next year?

A few deals to get an opinion on:

Clowe for Lu, then Niemi for Kulemin/Macarthur. So basically Clowe+Niemi for Lu+Kule/Mac

Demers/Braun for either Korpi or Clutterbuck

This one I think is bad, but just confirming that it is bad: Marleau+Braun for Krejci+Thomas

Thanks for the help
Sheppard and Petrecki are longshots, not likely to have significant effect.

I wouldn't touch Lu at all and Nemo isn't that good.

I would keep Braun over Demers by quite a bit although some here would disagree.

Nix the Marleau, Krejci, Thomas thing as well. At best it is sideways.

Clowe/MacArthur might be interesting, but again very likely sideways.

The Sharks' needs are first scoring depth and secondly goal which you seem to have identified.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
  #573
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The Sharks' needs are first scoring depth and secondly goal which you seem to have identified.
Appearently I've been getting spied on...


Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 10-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
  #574
freddypuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Sheppard and Petrecki are longshots, not likely to have significant effect.

I wouldn't touch Lu at all and Nemo isn't that good.

I would keep Braun over Demers by quite a bit although some here would disagree.

Nix the Marleau, Krejci, Thomas thing as well. At best it is sideways.

Clowe/MacArthur might be interesting, but again very likely sideways.

The Sharks' needs are first scoring depth and secondly goal which you seem to have identified.
I have watched Demers play in Finland, huge mistake if he is dumped over Braun, Braun is just to
soft for me, hated watching him in the playoffs get the snot kicked out of him, doesn't hit anybody etc...IMO

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  #575
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Definelty. The Lu guy is saying other teams are increasing their offers, and I won't go much higher than Clowe. I do think a Clowe+Niemi for Lu+Kulemin swap would improve the Sharks by a smaller margin.

At this point, I'm leaning toward trading Braun/Demers for a 2/3 W (like a Korpikoski). Who do I keep, who do I trade?
I don't like Lu as an option. Done like dinner. Too much like Nemo in his deficits as a goalie although he is a better goalie than Nemo. And Lu is far too expensive capwise. Let another team buy the headache.

I like Korpikoski. You can trade Braun or Demers but not both. The Sharks AHL depth on d is pathetic.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.