HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
I agree AA and Beeston have been talking a big game, it would behoove them to hit for the fences on this one. Especially since AA has been hinting at getting an Ace (PTS and TSN interviews)
I am curious, what is the thing that AA has been talking a big game about? I only ask because I only ever hear him being very vague and keeps things close to the chest.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
why is AA picking up more and more scrubs every day?????? please someone explain.

these guys are fodder.
They aren't costing anything. Yes most of them take up a spot on the 40man roster, but he probably picked them up with the plan to sneak them through waivers and off the 40man later on.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

So Zaun thinks if we don't get Pedrioa or Bucholz we should of fired Farrell and got nothing for him.?

Old
10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So Zaun thinks if we don't get Pedrioa or Bucholz we should of fired Farrell and got nothing for him.?
That's not necessarily his point. His point is making a stand and not budging. You want the guy, then come get him. It's about saying we're not going to be pushed into doing what you (the Red Sox) want because you want it. If they don't come up to what you want and go with someone else, then cut him lose because it's clear he doesn't want to be there anyways. It's a statement to the rest of the league that they're not going to get pushed into doing something they don't want. A statement of strength.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
That's not necessarily his point. His point is making a stand and not budging. You want the guy, then come get him. It's about saying we're not going to be pushed into doing what you (the Red Sox) want because you want it. If they don't come up to what you want, then cut him lose because it's clear he doesn't want to be there anyways. It's a statement to the rest of the league that they're not going to get pushed into doing something they don't want. A statement of strength.
That's all and great but principal and perception don't win ball games, talent does.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

When asked about Aviles possibly taking over for KJ at 2nd:

"This is a guy that swings and misses just as much as KJ"

"He swings for the fences, and trys to hit the big home run. Reminds me of another shortstop I know"

KJ SO
2012 (142 games): 159

Aviles SO
2012 (132 games): 77

Zauny's off his rocker again.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
That's all and great but principal and perception don't win ball games, talent does.
But what does it say to the talent you need when you are as an organization getting pushed around in a sense?

Old
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
But what does it say to the talent you need when you are as an organization getting pushed around in a sense?
How are we being pushed around when Farrell wanted out? Boston didn't come and poach someone on us who wanted to be here, he wanted to jump ship and was courting Boston. What does it say to players if we try to force them to stay here against their will?

Old
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
When asked about Aviles possibly taking over for KJ at 2nd:

"This is a guy that swings and misses just as much as KJ"

"He swings for the fences, and trys to hit the big home run. Reminds me of another shortstop I know"

KJ SO
2012 (142 games): 159

Aviles SO
2012 (132 games): 77

Zauny's off his rocker again.
I think Zaun just tries too hard to be shocking and controversial. Sometimes he just needs to relax, because he is a good analyst for the most part.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
How are we being pushed around when Farrell wanted out? Boston didn't come and poach someone on us who wanted to be here, he wanted to jump ship and was courting Boston. What does it say to players if we try to force them to stay here against their will?
You're not trying to force him to stay. Zaun said let him go anyways. That's not forcing him to stay. What your doing is telling Boston you're not just going to do whatever you want. It's making a statement to the players that we are an organization of strength. You may not be pushed around, that may be the wrong words, but it's all about showing a position of strength. That's the position you make. It's not necessarily about getting Pedroia.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
I am curious, what is the thing that AA has been talking a big game about? I only ask because I only ever hear him being very vague and keeps things close to the chest.
During his last couple appearances (Here) he has hinted at his SP plans in more concrete terms.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
You're not trying to force him to stay. Zaun said let him go anyways. That's not forcing him to stay. What your doing is telling Boston you're not just going to do whatever you want. It's making a statement to the players that we are an organization of strength. You may not be pushed around, that may be the wrong words, but it's all about showing a position of strength. That's the position you make. It's not necessarily about getting Pedroia.
So the image you have now is your so stubborn that you would rather cost your team talent then let Farrell do what he wants to do. Great way to court future talent for the organization when we take it personally when someone wants to move on.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
NeverGoingToWin

I am curious if people think players look at Anaheim as a weak team because Burke came to Toronto. I obviously do not and think this whole debate is stupid. The only thing that makes us look bad is we suck at the moment.

The good news is the media will move onto the next stupid debate soon enough.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think Zaun just tries too hard to be shocking and controversial. Sometimes he just needs to relax, because he is a good analyst for the most part.
PTS is a complete joke in that regard. They try so hard to create a controversy instead of having a normal rational discussion.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
So the image you have now is your so stubborn that you would rather cost your team talent then let Farrell do what he wants to do. Great way to court future talent for the organization when we take it personally when someone wants to move on.
What talent did you cost though? Aviles? That's not exactly a massive loss if you didn't end up with him. And it's not just John wanting to move on. The Red Sox wanted him too. It was a two way street here. It's not about being stubborn. The image to me is strength. But then again, a bit of stubborness isn't always a bad thing when it comes to making deals in sports. You don't want to be viewed as the guy who gives in.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
PTS is a complete joke in that regard. They try so hard to create a controversy instead of having a normal rational discussion.
The Bob/AA interviews are the only thing I enjoy about PTS. Bob actually does a good job in having a discussion that bypasses all the monotonous/cliche manager speak when it comes to AA.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
What talent did you cost though? Aviles? That's not exactly a massive loss if you didn't end up with him. And it's not just John wanting to move on. The Red Sox wanted him too. It was a two way street here. It's not about being stubborn. The image to me is strength. But then again, a bit of stubborness isn't always a bad thing when it comes to making deals in sports. You don't want to be viewed as the guy who gives in.
It was either Aviles or no one and if you want no one to give yourself some pride then I guess thats your choice, we chose to go for the talent.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB

MLB .com report: #Rangers expected to inquire about availability of #BlueJays J.P. Arencibia or Travis d'Arnaud: http://atmlb.com/QCrGpD

Interesting.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Jays claim Bobby Wilson off waivers from the Angels. Crappy back-up catcher that can't hit, get on base, or hit for power. This claim puts them at 41 on the 40 man roster spot. I'd think someone like McCoy gets taken off the 40 man to make room for him.
Beck DFA'd.

Not surprised. Predicted that a while ago.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post

MLB .com report: #Rangers expected to inquire about availability of #BlueJays J.P. Arencibia or Travis d'Arnaud: http://atmlb.com/QCrGpD

Interesting.
Good, some pieces on their side that interest me.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Jays designate Chad Beck to make room for Bobby Wilson. I don't really get it. At least he throws hard and could be something. Bobby Wilson is useless. Not understanding why McCoy is still on the 40 man roster.
I think they're going to try to sneak him though waivers later in the off season.

I think they were going to drop Beck from the 40 all along to make room for the guys they needed to protect this year.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post

Interesting.
d'Arnaud for Profar.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
It was either Aviles or no one and if you want no one to give yourself some pride then I guess thats your choice, we chose to go for the talent.
Personally, I don't really mind either choice. Aviles wasn't a bad choice though. I just tried to argue Zaun's point while whether I agree with it or not, I think it's valid.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
weems

So it was basically Beeston who consumated this deal.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think he wants to just disagree with everything to make some controversy

Closed Thread