HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [2-1-0] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Rather have a confident kid who skates and rushes the puck, and makes mistakes, than a timid kid who passes off every time and creates no offense. He'll learn to pick his spots in 2 years, and the timid player will never make it. Rushing D are HUGELY important to offense, and the Habs need more of them, badly.
Exactly, I think some people are exagerating on Beaulieu right now, yeah he gets caught out of position at times but this is not nearly as bad as some let it appears.. People underrate how valuable of a puckmover he is, his passing his sharp, decision making very surprising so far and I just love how he skates and rushes the puck bringing alot of offensive opportunities, overall he brings more to the table offensively than he hurts the team defensively.. If his shot was better right now, I think he could have easily got some pts and people would be more quiet about his rookie mistakes..

Old
10-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
One of the hardest plays in hockey is when a Dman is covering the crease and see his partner lose the battle in the corner. The opposing player now has a clear path from the corner to the net, and 99 out of 100 amateur players will panic and go for him. The correct play for the D man is to stay in the slot, taking the pass option away, and tell your goalie to cover the short side rusher. You must keep the short side rusher toward the back boards, with a bad angle shot. The goalie becomes your second D at that point. It's a bad situation, but it's a hell of lot better than going for the rusher and him killing you with a pass to the guy you just left alone in front.

Try it, for a D man, it's really tough to stay in the crease with a guy barreling out of the corner completely free. Goes against every instinct.

All D men who have reached the AHL should know this. If they aren't doing it, it's probably due to panic at the speed and strength of play, and frequent lost corner battles.
Which is my point. Has NOTHING to do with the supposed Lefebvre's system...

Old
10-22-2012, 06:28 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This would make sense if junior d-men are constantly leaving the slot open so you can say yeah it's an aspect of the game that they have to perfect. But even in juniors d-men don't abandon the slot the way the Dogs did the last three games.

And I'm not even looking at the second Marlies game. The whole team was out of it in that one. Look at that first Mariles game and the game against the Griffiths.

And if it's a case of what you say, then what the hell are the coaches doing during the game? I can see it happening once, twice, thrice in a game but it was constant throughout the games. After the third time whoever was in charge of the d should have been reminding them someone has to watch the slot.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
niftymove

Quote:
And if it's a case of what you say, then what the hell are the coaches doing during the game? I can see it happening once, twice, thrice in a game but it was constant throughout the games. After the third time whoever was in charge of the d should have been reminding them someone has to watch the slot.
I would call it a learning process !

You know: rookies, new league, more speed, more size...more basic instincts.....takes a few games at least to ajust.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Andy

any news about the extent of Leblanc's injury?

Old
10-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Habitants

i watched both games, and i gotta say that this team has some work to do. sure they won the first one, but they got outplayed both nights.

It is a good group but they need to to adjust and learn a few things. Also the coach needs to get his act together.

look forward to seeing the evolution of this team and following the progress of the new players!

Old
10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
One of the hardest plays in hockey is when a Dman is covering the crease and see his partner lose the battle in the corner. The opposing player now has a clear path from the corner to the net, and 99 out of 100 amateur players will panic and go for him. The correct play for the D man is to stay in the slot, taking the pass option away, and tell your goalie to cover the short side rusher. You must keep the short side rusher toward the back boards, with a bad angle shot. The goalie becomes your second D at that point. It's a bad situation, but it's a hell of lot better than going for the rusher and him killing you with a pass to the guy you just left alone in front.

Try it, for a D man, it's really tough to stay in the crease with a guy barreling out of the corner completely free. Goes against every instinct.

All D men who have reached the AHL should know this. If they aren't doing it, it's probably due to panic at the speed and strength of play, and frequent lost corner battles.
Yes !!! But, dependingly on how many opposing players are in the crease, sometimes there's no good decision.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
This paints a pretty bleak picture though. It means that not only do our defenseman in the corner lose his battle. But the defenseman in the crease also makes a bad decision.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
This paints a pretty bleak picture though. It means that not only do our defenseman in the corner lose his battle. But the defenseman in the crease also makes a bad decision.
As of now it does.....3 games into a season.....tons of rookies on D's AND up front, 2nd youngest team in the league.

I just call for a little patience here....

Old
10-22-2012, 12:32 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
As of now it does.....3 games into a season.....tons of rookies on D's AND up front, 2nd youngest team in the league.

The rookie mistakes have to happen for the players to learn.All of them have shown that they are quick learners at every stage in their careers.Give these guys a year together and they will be the best defensive team in the AHL by the end of next season.Only after learning the defensive game can the team concentrate on their offence,when that time comes the Bulldogs will be an "Elite AHL Team".You cannot rush greatness,Bergevin knows this and is watching closely the future of the Habs.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
windycity

Quote:

expecting patience from Habs fans, how long have you been a Habs fan exactly?

Old
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
any news about the extent of Leblanc's injury?
Nothing yet, he's going to be re-evaluated today.

https://twitter.com/dogsplaybyplay/s...93680416186369

Old
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Rikiki Bousquet

I just finished watching the second game against the Marlies.

I must say, overall, i was impressed by the way the boys played over the game.

By that, i mean that i was already expecting sloppiness in the passes and in the system, but they gave me hope for the future since, between two dumb plays, there was always something good that was being done.

We need to understand that this young team will develop itself with time and work : not only the player taken individually, but the team as a whole. And so, i base my satisfaction of their work on projections ; of what they could be with time, and not what they've done on their third game of the season.

This said, i must say the player that impressed me the most was Beaulieu. For a player that profoundly disappointed me in the lhjmq playoffs and in team canada, i thought he was by far the player with the most evident potential in him. Some of his passes were just too much "nhl" for some of his teammates. I find he was always in the action, never stupidly lost the puck and wasn't that bad in defensive situation. Most of the time, he used his quick thinking to defuse an otherwise dangerous situation. He wasn't perfect, nor did he made me think he was ready for the nhl. But i really think he was, of all the bulldog players, the one player that has star-potential in the nhl.

If he will develop his talent is an entirely different debate, but he definitely has it in him.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:04 PM
bud12

Ian Schultz got is first fight of the year again 6''4 Dustin Stevenson

Old
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Beendair Donedat

Only Habs fans would be *****ing about the youngest most prospect filled AHL team in years, after less than a half dozen games. Give them time folks...

Old
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Only Habs fans would be *****ing about the youngest most prospect filled AHL team in years, after less than a half dozen games. Give them time folks...
No one's *****ing but alright...

On another note, as anybody been watching the Wheelers lately? I swear they havn't even scored yet.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:31 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post

On another note, as anybody been watching the Wheelers lately? I swear they havn't even scored yet.
4 goals in for 4 games and 0 win i think

Old
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
I just finished watching the second game against the Marlies.

I must say, overall, i was impressed by the way the boys played over the game.

By that, i mean that i was already expecting sloppiness in the passes and in the system, but they gave me hope for the future since, between two dumb plays, there was always something good that was being done.

We need to understand that this young team will develop itself with time and work : not only the player taken individually, but the team as a whole. And so, i base my satisfaction of their work on projections ; of what they could be with time, and not what they've done on their third game of the season.

This said, i must say the player that impressed me the most was Beaulieu. For a player that profoundly disappointed me in the lhjmq playoffs and in team canada, i thought he was by far the player with the most evident potential in him. Some of his passes were just too much "nhl" for some of his teammates. I find he was always in the action, never stupidly lost the puck and wasn't that bad in defensive situation. Most of the time, he used his quick thinking to defuse an otherwise dangerous situation. He wasn't perfect, nor did he made me think he was ready for the nhl. But i really think he was, of all the bulldog players, the one player that has star-potential in the nhl.

If he will develop his talent is an entirely different debate, but he definitely has it in him.
Good post, welcome to the boards!

Beaulieu's short accurate saucer passes were great for maintaining possession in the offensive zone. I really liked what I saw from him offensively.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
4 goals in for 4 games and 0 win i think
Cody Wild tied for the scoring lead with 3 assists,not bad for dman in 4 games.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
This would make sense if junior d-men are constantly leaving the slot open so you can say yeah it's an aspect of the game that they have to perfect. But even in juniors d-men don't abandon the slot the way the Dogs did the last three games.

And I'm not even looking at the second Marlies game. The whole team was out of it in that one. Look at that first Mariles game and the game against the Griffiths.

All those guys behind the bench have experience either from coaching and/or playing the game. This is not a vague strategy we are talking about here that even us, can agree or disagree with a system no matter how experienced the coach is. We are talking about a supposed system that sees 2 guys going behind the net, and WILLINGLY leaving a guy totally alone in front of the net. Come on Onice, it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, there is all those time during the game when coaches needs and can make adjustment. I would say they did. I would say that the situations you are talking about, while it did happen too often, didn't happen every single time. Which you could say that the adjustments were done.....but they somehow forget it right after and so on.....

In Juniors, well to watch tons of games, like you probably do as well, sorry to say that it does happen often as well. Yet, the difference is that they are not as scrutinize as they are in pro hockey. Also, when they do make a mistake, they don't as often pay the price like we saw with the Ryan goal. And in juniors, their talent alone or lack thereof from the opposition will make their pinching not as bad 'cause they would be able to cut the passes more easily and so on.

I mean, again, I'm not amongst the one who decides to just shut up and accept whatever decisions a "professionnal" makes. But to me, it makes no sense that professionnals like those guys would have that kind of stategy. I used to coach Pee-Wee and Bantam and it was amongst the first things I showed them. Yet, it didn't always work 'cause the urge, like another poster said earlier, is often too present hence you have that d-man in front who thinks that he will be able to help his partner and that by being 2 on 1, he will stop the menace. Add the fact that it's going much faster from them in all accouts from skils to decision making and so on.

But hey.....I reserve my right to call him an idiot the day I hear him saying that it's part of the strategy to continously try to create pressure at the expense of leaving the crease open......But I doubt I'll do it.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post

Come on CC did you miss the shots at Lefevbre?

Really like what I've seen of Tinordi so far. Another solid year after this one in the AHL and I think he'll be ready to start in the NHL. Two years of logging big minute ice time should really help his development.

I still think they need another guy like Schultz in their lineup just to keep the opposition more honest. How has Schultz looked in the ECHL?

Impatiently waiting for Morgan Ellis to debut. I see him as a less tougher version of Dietz. Steady all around defenseman. Hopefully he's in soon.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

I'm piecing together the opponent section of tomorrow's GDT for the Buffalo board. Is the following quote-block accurate? Will there be any television coverage on your end? Any word yet on how Leblanc's re-evaluation went today? Cheers.
Quote:
HAMILTON BULLDOGS (Beat Coverage)

NHL Affiliate & Notables

Montreal Canadiens: 5 Jarred Tinordi, 8 Nathan Beaulieu, 17 Brendan Gallagher, 20 Louis Leblanc, 28 Aaron Palushaj.

Last Game's Lineup

13 Steven Quailer - 57 Blake Geoffrion - 17 Brendan Gallagher
28 Aaron Palushaj - 18 Michael Bournival - 37 Patrick Holland
14 Mike Blunden (A) - 47 Darryl Boyce (A) - 20 Louis Leblanc
15 Kyle Hagel - 40 Gabriel Dumont - 12 Zack Stortini

5 Jarred Tinordi - 2 Greg Pateryn
8 Nathan Beaulieu - 32 Frederic St-Denis (A)
3 Antoine Corbin - 4 Brendon Nash

29 Robert Mayer
39 Peter Delmas

Roster Notes

Scratched for Hamilton on Saturday night were Alexander Avtsin, Alain Berger, Morgan Ellis and Joonas Nattinen. They are expected to be without Louis Leblanc, who left Saturday's game with a right leg injury and whose status remains under evaluation at this time.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Nbhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Good post, welcome to the boards!

Beaulieu's short accurate saucer passes were great for maintaining possession in the offensive zone. I really liked what I saw from him offensively.
As a Saint John Seadogs season ticket holder, I've been fortunate to watch this young man develop into a fine junior defenseman the past 4 years. No one was happier than I when my favourite team drafted a kid I'd been able to watch play since he was 16 (for a couple of months anyway) from my local junior team. He skates wonderfully, can make great passes, & is gifted in timing the "sneak down from the point" for the back door pass when he has equally gifted team mates to anticipate it & get the puck to him. My concern is that it seemed that once he was drafted, & played some exhibitions with the Habs in training camp last year (think he played almost 30 minutes in the 2 exhibitions I listened to/watched online) he stopped progressing. Like he'd made it, was just putting in time until he was a star in the NHL. Although the team won the Q championship & returned to the Memorial Cup, they got away with playing only 5 minutes a game & still winning too many times, & that didn't cut it when they got to the semis in Shawinigan. He wore an "A" for that team, & they seemed to think that they could just "skill it". Morgan Ellis & Brandon Gormley didn't carry themselves that way & their Cataractes spanked the 'dogs out of the Cup. I think once (if) Nathan Beaulieu matures, he can be a Kris Letang for our Habs, & I really, really hope he realizes his potential, he just needs to "get his head straight".

Old
10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I'm piecing together the opponent section of tomorrow's GDT for the Buffalo board. Is the following quote-block accurate? Will there be any television coverage on your end? Any word yet on how Leblanc's re-evaluation went today? Cheers.
Yes, it's correct. Not word on Leblanc.

You could probably replace Hagel with "Punching bag" and Stortini with " Good for at least 1 dumb penalty and probably won't fight anyone"

If Buffalo scores less than 5 goals it's a win for us. Well.. Rochester.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:10 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Well, yes. There are some pretty tough and crafty vets in the NHL, and they're beating the dogs young D. And a wing who wins one corner battle leading to a goal gets noticed, while a D who wins 5 corner battles and loses the one does not. I'm not worried.

Closed Thread