HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers during the lockout (12/12: Stepan, McDonagh, Nash, Del Zotto return home)

Old
10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 162
McDonagh is just dominant on Barys' Defense, while showing quite some offensive touch - the opponents he faced weren't the best, though. However, big ice seems to come to his advantage.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
McDonagh is just dominant on Barys' Defense, while showing quite some offensive touch - the opponents he faced weren't the best, though. However, big ice seems to come to his advantage.
Thanks for the report. I would imagine the big ice suits his game really well.

Check out the assist at 6:10:

10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Thanks for the report. I would imagine the big ice suits his game really well.

Check out the assist at 6:10:

Geez what was the score of that game, 12-0?? This is the competition he is playing against? It's almost as if he'd be better off playing in the AHL (and yes I know he can't)

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Geez what was the score of that game, 12-0?? This is the competition he is playing against? It's almost as if he'd be better off playing in the AHL (and yes I know he can't)
He could've played in the AHL if he agreed to a tryout contract with the Whale or any other AHL team. But why would he do that when he can make millions of dollars? This is an elite player who hasn't made over 2m in his career.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:36 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He could've played in the AHL if he agreed to a tryout contract with the Whale or any other AHL team. But why would he do that when he can make millions of dollars? This is an elite player who hasn't made over 2m in his career.
That wasn't really my point at all.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
That wasn't really my point at all.
Agree with your point though. AHL teams are likely better than most KHL teams. So much parity in the AHL, not as much with KHL.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:51 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Yeah, I think that about a lot of the highlight goals I see from the KHL. It's always hard to tell if the player was playing incredibly or the D was just terrible.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Agree with your point though. AHL teams are likely better than most KHL teams. So much parity in the AHL, not as much with KHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yeah, I think that about a lot of the highlight goals I see from the KHL. It's always hard to tell if the player was playing incredibly or the D was just terrible.
I understand playing to stay in game shape, but what difference is it between playing actual games and training if that's how half the games go. That was pathetic.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 162
Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree here. McDonagh played the worst teams in the KHL, those are indeed terribad. But then there's a huge gap. Teams like SKA, Dynamo, Ak Bars, Salavat or, heck, even Slovan and Novokucneck on the other hand are better (comparing skill) than AHL teams.

I also don't think Astana can afford to pay McDonagh a ****load of money. KHL is the 2nd best league in the world, McD knew this, so he went there.

(This should not get the point in this thread though, as it's like )

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

That move that he did at the blueline was still great, no matter the competition.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Why do you think he's making a lot of money? Chances are it's a lot less than you think. And McDonagh cannot play in the AHL--he wasn't waiver exempt and he wasn't on a "clear day" (ie playoff) roster for an AHL team.

Chances are he went to KHL to stay in shape, find out how a different league plays and see what another part of the world is like.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why do you think he's making a lot of money? Chances are it's a lot less than you think. And McDonagh cannot play in the AHL--he wasn't waiver exempt and he wasn't on a "clear day" (ie playoff) roster for an AHL team.

Chances are he went to KHL to stay in shape, find out how a different league plays and see what another part of the world is like.
You can sign try out contract with AHL team, then sign a AHL contract. Dwight King did this a few days ago to re-join the Monarchs.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
You can sign try out contract with AHL team, then sign a AHL contract. Dwight King did this a few days ago to re-join the Monarchs.
Dwight King played 50 games in the AHL last season and has played significant'y less games in the NHL in his career. I've seen nothing to suggest that McDonagh ever was eligible to do the same thing King just did. If you have a source, now would be a good time to share it.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
broadwayblue

looks like those ads on uniforms might be here sooner than later...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...eek?xid=cnnbin

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

disgusting

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Dwight King played 50 games in the AHL last season and has played significant'y less games in the NHL in his career. I've seen nothing to suggest that McDonagh ever was eligible to do the same thing King just did. If you have a source, now would be a good time to share it.
Can't seem to find a source, but Taylor Hall is skating with the OKC Barons.

He was not named to the cutoff roster to the AHL team, yet he's slated to join them in November.

This means that if the lockout is still in effect by November, Hall will likely sign a AHL contract to play with the team. He has played more NHL games than McDonagh.

Edit: NYRFAN218 explains it 2 posts down.

Last edited by Kershaw: 10-21-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Dont mind ads on jerseys if it's less clustered like Arsenal. In the case of Arsenal, everyone knows Fly Emirates as the Arsenal jersey, not the real brand itself. lol.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:

He was not named to the cutoff roster to the AHL team, yet he's slated to join them in November.

This means that if the lockout is still in effect by November, Hall will likely sign a AHL contract to play with the team. He has played more NHL games than McDonagh.
Hall is only 20 and didn't hit the GP requirement of 160 for his age. Table here should explain it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_sal...r_waivers_only

10-22-2012, 07:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
RANGERS PROPERTY
PlayerGamesGoalsAssistsPoints+/-PIMTeam/League
Hagelin, Carl4257+50Södertälje SK/HA
McDonagh, Ryan3033+50HC Barys Astana/KHL
Nash, Rick87310+40HC Davos/NLA

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Edit: NYRFAN218 explains it 2 posts down.
If Hall has played in more NHL games than McDonagh he cannot play in the AHL during the lockout. However, since he is rehabbing a hockey related injury (if I remember correctly), the team (with his approval) can assign him to the AHL for 2 weeks. Once the two weeks are up, Hall will be locked out like everyone else (assuming he's healthy).

Old
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Don't want skating billboards on the ice. Looks like a ****ing circus. The NHL is already circus as it is compared to other sports, no need to make it worse considering you don't see the NFL, MLB, NBA doing that.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Should have stated it but Hall IS eligible to play in the AHL. He's still on his ELC and the waiver rules state that at age 20 you either have to have played 160+ games or signed the NHL contract 3 years ago. Hall meets neither requirement so he can play in the AHL.

To use McDonagh as an example, he's currently 23. At 23 you either have had to sign your first NHL contract 3 years ago or play 60 NHL games, whichever comes first. McD has obviously played 60+ games so he's not eligible to play in the AHL.

Using Stepan now, same rules apply as McD except it's 70+ games now as he's only 22. Stepan's played 164 NHL games so he isn't eligible either.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
ColonialsHockey10

It's almost like the rules are catered to crippling the Whale roster (even though it's obviously not).

We're practically the only team that isn't able to send down any young NHLers.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Should have stated it but Hall IS eligible to play in the AHL. He's still on his ELC and the waiver rules state that at age 20 you either have to have played 160+ games or signed the NHL contract 3 years ago. Hall meets neither requirement so he can play in the AHL.

To use McDonagh as an example, he's currently 23. At 23 you either have had to sign your first NHL contract 3 years ago or play 60 NHL games, whichever comes first. McD has obviously played 60+ games so he's not eligible to play in the AHL.

Using Stepan now, same rules apply as McD except it's 70+ games now as he's only 22. Stepan's played 164 NHL games so he isn't eligible either.
Travis Hamonic: 22 years old, over 130 NHL games, drafted in 2008?

Sorry I just don't get it.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:38 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Travis Hamonic: 22 years old, over 130 NHL games, drafted in 2008?

Sorry I just don't get it.
Interesting. Maybe that chart is inaccurate. Islanders Point Blank cites 160 games as the mark as why Hamonic couldn't be sent down.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...-lockouts-end/

Who the **** knows though. Seemed like that made the most sense.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote