HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
I had a crappy two games today, didn't do much at all, but my husband ( who hasn't seen me skate in a while) did say I was getting faster.

But I don't mind the bad games, since when I checked my email afterward, I found out that a guy I used to skate with when I did short track set a new world record. So I guess we both got faster.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:05 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Won 7-3 tonight. 5 goals from our captain lol.

I had possibly the nicest shot of my life. Got the puck on the point, dangled one person, ripped it top glove, and rang it off the pipe from the top of the circle. I was so pissed!

Destroyed like 5 kids though. By the end of the game, they would dump it anytime I was near them

Old
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Pulled a groin. Sadface.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Trl3789

I figured out how to get my slapshot airborne consistently. I had one of those Aha! moments and all the sudden everything clicked. So nice to be able to take a slapshot that doesn't skid and bounce across the ice.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
played my 1st game as Captain of my team, got annihilated 9-0. Luckily the opposing team will be in a higher tier than us.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
10-22-2012, 08:55 AM
panner20

At age 42 (almost 43) I'm starting my first full season in the A-League tonight at 10:00pm. I've been playing in the Over-30 the last 6 years which is between A & B skill wise, ... but this is still a huge jump up for me. I've subbed in the A-League before, and I even scored a goal... but in all honesty I've really got the the butterflies going right now. I was asked to play not for my speed or skill, but I'm a Team-First guy and I have a lot of fun out there. I've been told that my enthusiasm and love for the game is contageous. I'm nervous as hell...

Old
10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Pulled a groin. Sadface.
eeeeek. How?

scored a goal but I shot it with my head down (I know!) and when I looked up, there was a D right in front of me...and I was skating at speed...with no time to stop I plowed right into him, upending both of us and then went for a slide using the poor guy as a surfboard. Luckily for me he saw the funny side

Old
10-22-2012, 11:26 AM
JR97

I"m nursing bruised ribs. I got my skates sharpened this weekend and the idiot didn't do them to the profile I specified on the tag. I ended up with a deeper cut than I've ever skated. The moment of discover was when I was in warmups going into the corner full stride and went into my stop about 4 feet from the boards. The edges grabbed and didn't slide at all and I went right over the handle bars and flew into the boards back first. Knocked the wind out of me, caused my teammates to bust ribs laughing at me, and today I hurt like a biatch. I should sue.... j/k but they better fix these for free and fix them right.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Raked the entire lawn, cooked dinner, ate half of it, then sprinted out the door for our last scrimmage before league starts. Played against a team two levels higher (again). Kept it at 1-1 for the first half but let in at least a dozen unanswered goals in the second half.

Not thrilled with my game, but because we were so outmatched it was alright. I'm a speed guy and get neutralized against opponents like this, so it was all chip the puck out of our end and dump it in and go change for an hour. Had maybe 2-3 shots on goal and they all kinda sucked.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
xdl1

Really pushed it at open skate this week with hockey stops and backwards skating. Day after, ended up with a non-trauma related bruise under my kneecap and some discomfort. No pops, excessive swelling or pain - I've narrowed it down to two or three things and I'm not thrilled. Perhaps I need to take on some conditioning.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
Really pushed it at open skate this week with hockey stops and backwards skating. Day after, ended up with a non-trauma related bruise under my kneecap and some discomfort. No pops, excessive swelling or pain - I've narrowed it down to two or three things and I'm not thrilled. Perhaps I need to take on some conditioning.
are you lifting your legs off the ices very much? your technique should be focusing on making it less effort. C-cuts are good drills for this, where you dont lift your legs at all and propel yourself with just the c-cuts.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
are you lifting your legs off the ices very much? your technique should be focusing on making it less effort. C-cuts are good drills for this, where you dont lift your legs at all and propel yourself with just the c-cuts.
I can do that, and do it for maybe a few minutes forwards and backwards. But I spent about 30 minutes on just raw acceleration and hockey stops, as well as turning/skating backwards. I think the issue might be that I haven't had any strength training or exercise routine for a couple of years now, compounded by whatever poor technique I have and being somewhat knock-kneed.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
eeeeek. How?
We were doing a backwards skating edge/recovery drill, where you get up some speed backwards, then crouch down as low as you can go while maintaining momentum. That part was fine, but then our coach wanted us to put one knee down (still sliding backwards) and pick it back up into the crouch. I tried to put my right leg down but didn't get my toe high enough when I sent it back, so my toe caught on the ice and the momentum yanked it out to the side. I ended up on my butt with both legs in front of me. I think the combination of my leg getting yanked out while I was trying to hold that leg in is what did it.

It's sore today but not painful (unless I'm swinging the leg up to get into the car or something), though the soreness sometimes radiates into my glute and down the inside of my leg. I've been icing it on and off, and tomorrow I'll start some heat/very gentle stretching instead of going to my Tuesday skills class. Hopefully it will be pain free by the end of the week so I can try playing in my league game on Sunday.

Groins are stupid.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:44 AM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Got down 3 nothing, came back and tied it 3 - 3. First game of season. I think we will be the worse team in our division. But we get a 24oz beer delivered to every game. Oh yea!

Old
10-23-2012, 04:35 AM
OilerNut*

Blocked a shot, took it off the laces though. Hurt like a mother*****er. Still stay on to finish my shift though.

Is there any way to not take shots off the laces? Has happened to me a bunch of times.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
AIREAYE

you could check out various shot blockers to put on

Old
10-24-2012, 12:04 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Awful tourny last weekend. Lost every game

Old
10-24-2012, 12:38 AM
reecardo

Picked up my new Graf 709s and got them baked. Can not wait to try them out @ pickup in 10.5 hours!

Old
10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
PaperworkNinja

Had a great stick save last night and an assist at the pickup game. Still can't pressure guys like I want to as a defenseman, though.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:38 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

found out injuries are a buzzkill

Old
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
do0glas

got back into the gym for more heavy lifting (squats, deadlift, bench). every year i have to do a fitness test for the military, so the month before I always just train to the test, and it brought me back to square one, so im hoping i can start working out basically.

sat/sun/mon/tues and then take the rest of the week off before my games on friday, and not be too adversely affected.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Today I am in more pain then usual after a intramural game. However it was worth it because we managed to beat a team with a bench and we only had 5 skaters plus me the goalie. Down 3-0 at one point we came back and won 4-3. Just seemed like one of those games where it goes right for the most point. Felt so good to win then I had to wake up for 8am classes.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
I miss systems hockey...

I've been playing center so I can be the high guy back and cover for mistakes on my beer league team, instead of playing left wing where I belong.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
VanBrett

I'll start doing this more regularly (Saturday games, tomorrow I have one too tho). I play Bantam Houseleague (Parents won't let me play travel, too expensive and too much time) So far through 4 games I have 12 goals and 6 assists for 18 points. 4.5 ppg is good in my league (I hope), and I'm surpised how well I'm doing. I'm playing against mostly kids a year older (98-99 borns in the league) and I am leading the league in goals and points.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Decided I'm going to try playing roller hockey without wearing socks, just to see what it's like. On the ice I always wear normal thick socks plus long rugby/soccer ones on top, it doesn't feel right otherwise

Closed Thread