HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Tim Panaccio has forgotten how to spelled Scheduled.. He always just puts sked

Old
10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Yes and no

If he is loaned there, it would apply

If he has gone rogue and is suspended, it wouldn't
Thanks for clarifying.

Another fun scenario:

OV goes rogue and stays in the KHL for 2 years then decides "... I want to win a Stanley Cup."

Is Washington forced to welcome him back and take on that massive cap hit like nothing ever happened?

You've gotta think that 2 years down the line they've presumably filled in the hole left by OV with other free agents to remain competitive... they may not even have the cap space.

Or could they say, "You bailed on us, so go **** yourself... have fun playing in Russia until you're 36."

He would request a trade obviously. I honestly wonder who would be willing to take on that contract? Especially for a player who bolts to Russia and threatens to stay there. Whatever they got for him would probably be nowhere near his actual value? I'm thinking at most, a similar package to what Jeff Carter fetched?

Old
10-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

Another fun scenario:

OV goes rogue and stays in the KHL for 2 years then decides "... I want to win a Stanley Cup."

Is Washington forced to welcome him back and take on that massive cap hit like nothing ever happened?

You've gotta think that 2 years down the line they've presumably filled in the hole left by OV with other free agents to remain competitive... they may not even have the cap space.

Or could they say, "You bailed on us, so go **** yourself... have fun playing in Russia until you're 36."

He would request a trade obviously. I honestly wonder who would be willing to take on that contract? Especially for a player who bolts to Russia and threatens to stay there. Whatever they got for him would probably be nowhere near his actual value? I'm thinking at most, a similar package to what Jeff Carter fetched?
In that situation, I would think that the capitals would have to take him back. I don't think I've seen a situation like that pop up.

As for his value, I would still see his value being sky high.. SOmething like a top 6 forward + top prospect or two + multiple firsts

Old
10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
In that situation, I would think that the capitals would have to take him back. I don't think I've seen a situation like that pop up.

As for his value, I would still see his value being sky high.. SOmething like a top 6 forward + top prospect or two + multiple firsts
I guess it depends on whether or not you believe Ovechkin is worth 9.5M dollars worth of capspace (and 10M actually salary) until he's 36? Especially given his noticeable decline in recent years.

I'd love to have him on the Flyers, but not at that figure.

You're probably right about his value though, other teams would jump at the opportunity.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I guess it depends on whether or not you believe Ovechkin is worth 9.5M dollars worth of capspace (and 10M actually salary) until he's 36? Especially given his noticeable decline in recent years.

I'd love to have him on the Flyers, but not at that figure.

You're probably right about his value though, other teams would jump at the opportunity.
In that 2 years time (using the previous CBA rules for salary and stuff) the cap would be about 82.6m

We'd have:
Briere on the last year of his deal
Schenn, Giroux, Couturier, Read, and Meszaros as UFAs with 37.3m of the 82.6m cap

In a world with a cap at that figure, I'd definitely take Ovechkin to put on a line with Giroux. It would be one of the best lines in the league with hartnell on that wing..

Whether or not we have the stuff to give up for him is another issue since I can't really predict 2 years from now

Old
10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
In that 2 years time (using the previous CBA rules for salary and stuff) the cap would be about 82.6m

We'd have:
Briere on the last year of his deal
Schenn, Giroux, Couturier, Read, and Meszaros as UFAs with 37.3m of the 82.6m cap

In a world with a cap at that figure, I'd definitely take Ovechkin to put on a line with Giroux. It would be one of the best lines in the league with hartnell on that wing..

Whether or not we have the stuff to give up for him is another issue since I can't really predict 2 years from now
Ovechkin is a LW so hypothetically it would be Voracek on that line. Which would be perfect for OV. Two guys who don't like to shoot.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well according to OV, if contracts get slashed, most of the players that went to the KHL wont come back. Obviously sounds like a scare tactic by OV, but interesting also.
Haha, silly Ovie He seems to a bit feisty lately, as well, as he almost got into a fight with Guskov in today's game against Lokomotiv.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Just made a bet that the lockout extends past November 2nd. So you guys can thank me when it ends before then.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
toughfighter83*

sadly, i dont think there's going to be any hockey for a long time unless the players come to their senses which i doubt because they are playing hockey overseas and getting paid meaning they probably wont care until their money runs out or hockey overseas get's banned.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
sadly, i dont think there's going to be any hockey for a long time unless the players come to their senses which i doubt because they are playing hockey overseas and getting paid meaning they probably wont care until their money runs out or hockey overseas get's banned.
This is depressing...

Old
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
new flash. pro athletes in every sport are overpaid. why should it be different in hockey. this lockout isnt just one sides fault. both sides are equally at fault.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
new flash. pro athletes in every sport are overpaid.
That's bogus. The market bares their worth.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
PAZUZU

Quote:
i have been trying to be objective about this lockout, and i have tried seeing it from this perspective, where the players are the ones at fault here, but i have failed to understand how they can be. how can the owners state they made record profits this past season and then demand the players give money back on contracts they agreed to?

i had faith there would be a resolution until i found out the owners would get the TV money even if they didn't play any games.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That's bogus. The market bares their worth.
you dont think pro athletes are overpaid? the average NBA player makes well over 5 million.
NHL players are paid on average more then NFL players. Maybe the market does play into it. doesnt change the fact how much they are paid. Owners are at fault there as well.
if that was completely true about the market then NFL players should be paid more then anyone else given the average career is about 3 years.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Krishna

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHLPA has 5 pm ET internal conference call with players' negotiating committee and executive board to update them on things

and other tweets and reports seem to indicate that infighting is already starting to happen

Old
10-23-2012, 12:53 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHLPA has 5 pm ET internal conference call with players' negotiating committee and executive board to update them on things

and other tweets and reports seem to indicate that infighting is already starting to happen
It's only a matter of time before they start to get antsy. What's the point of losing a whole years salary, which would be way more than they would lose over the course of a new CBA? Saying the players don't care because they're playing in Europe is silly too. It's only a handful, the majority of players locked out aren't the millionaires playing overseas, and they're the ones that will be affected more, and they outnumber the superstars.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
McNasty

You would think they're at least going to vote on the proposal like MacKenzie said last week. At some point you're biting your nose to spite your face.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Flyerfan808

Get it done. Hockey cannot suffer another lockout.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:25 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you dont think pro athletes are overpaid? the average NBA player makes well over 5 million.
NHL players are paid on average more then NFL players. Maybe the market does play into it. doesnt change the fact how much they are paid. Owners are at fault there as well.
if that was completely true about the market then NFL players should be paid more then anyone else given the average career is about 3 years.
No I don't think they are overpaid. I used to agree with that statement, but having pursued a professional career myself, they deserve every penny they get. It's a billion dollar industry because of them. Owners have no problem investing millions into their players for their return. In addition, the lifespan of their career is relatively short in comparison to a normal career. Along the way they have made a ton of sacrifices to get to where they are. They are the elite of their craft. They should get what they are worth.

NBA, IMO is the toughest league to get in. Only 400 guys in the league. "Entry level" contracts only have a 2 year guarantee for first rounders only. It's a hard league to get into and harder to stay in it.

As far as the NFL, the market determines their worth now and in the near future. Average length of career has nothing to do with it unfortunately for them. They have the biggest screw job contracts by far, but let's not get into that.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No I don't think they are overpaid. I used to agree with that statement, but having pursued a professional career myself, they deserve every penny they get. It's a billion dollar industry because of them. Owners have no problem investing millions into their players for their return. In addition, the lifespan of their career is relatively short in comparison to a normal career. Along the way they have made a ton of sacrifices to get to where they are. They are the elite of their craft. They should get what they are worth.

NBA, IMO is the toughest league to get in. Only 400 guys in the league. "Entry level" contracts only have a 2 year guarantee for first rounders only. It's a hard league to get into and harder to stay in it.

As far as the NFL, the market determines their worth now and in the near future. Average length of career has nothing to do with it unfortunately for them. They have the biggest screw job contracts by far, but let's not get into that.
deserve is kind of a strong word. I get what you are saying tho and I do agree to a point. Dont know how you put a number on what they are worth.
Of course with the money they make too many pro athletes have no clue how to manage money.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
That's a good thing for the fans if a regiment of players (and their wives) are starting to miss those paychecks that support the life and style they are used to keeping.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Krishna

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
After the NHLPA conf call today, the PA asked for a meeting with the NHL Wednesday or at one point this week.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Krishna

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Bill Daly says in email that there is still no meeting scheduled between #NHL and #NHLPA.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Bill Daly says the union has expressed a willingness to meet but isn't going to table a proposal: "What would we be meeting about?"

I really hate the PA..

Old
10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Bill Daly says in email that there is still no meeting scheduled between #NHL and #NHLPA.

Bill Daly says the union has expressed a willingness to meet but isn't going to table a proposal: "What would we be meeting about?"

I really hate the PA..
TIME TO BRING IN A 3RD PARTY TO GET A DEAL DONE AND END THIS LOCKOUT IF NOT DONE SOON SEASON IS LOST.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno

I really hate the PA..
Wait im confused... You hate the pa for trying to schedule a meeting with the NHL? The PA might not be acepting the proposal and such but supossidly they are trying to meet to bridge the gap according to twitter people. I dont see how thats a bad thing...

Closed Thread