HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2012, 05:52 PM
  #76
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You wouldn't take Jones, Pulock, McCoshen, Ristolainen and Morissey?

Comrie could go in the second round..
MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov and Lindholm will probably be gone. Pulock will rise in the rankings if he plays like this all year. I wouldnt take Morrisey or Ristolainen over Shinkaruk, Drouin, Burakovsky or Nurse. But I would Zadorov, De La Rose and Erne.

I completely forgot about McCoshen.

I hope Montreal can pick up a goalie in the 2nd. Comrie and Martin are good choices, assuming Fucale is gone.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
  #77
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov and Lindholm will probably be gone. Pulock will rise in the rankings if he plays like this all year. I wouldnt take Morrisey or Ristolainen over Shinkaruk, Drouin, Burakovsky or Nurse. But I would Zadorov, De La Rose and Erne.

I completely forgot about McCoshen.

I hope Montreal can pick up a goalie in the 2nd. Comrie and Martin are good choices, assuming Fucale is gone.
Ristolainen is everything that you get in Nurse, plus you also get loads of offensive upside, extremely good skating, and a player playing top pairing minutes in the SM-Liiga. I'm sorry, but it's not even a contest who's better at this point, and I'm a huge fan of Nurse.

About the goalies, me too. I would love to get Comrie or Martin in the second, both have a ton of upside, but they are pretty far away from the NHL (well at least Martin).


Last edited by That: 10-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.
That is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
  #78
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Ristolainen is everything that you get in Nurse, plus you also get loads of offensive upside, extremely good skating, and a player playing top pairing minutes in the SM-Liiga. I'm sorry, but it's not even a contest who's better at this point, and I'm a huge fan of Nurse.

About the goalies, me too. I would love to get Comrie or Martin in the second, both have a ton of upside, but they are pretty far away from the NHL (well at least Martin).
I guess it is just that I see Nurse play more. I have not seen a full game for Ristolainen and there aren't many highlights. All I know is they are similar players and that Nurse has more size and has offensive upside and plays physical.

I saw Craig Button's monthly draft rankings and Ristolainen was at #19 while Nurse was #23.

As for the goalies, they have all the time they want to develop since Montreal already has Price. It would be good to have some depthe behind him.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  #79
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I guess it is just that I see Nurse play more. I have not seen a full game for Ristolainen and there aren't many highlights. All I know is they are similar players and that Nurse has more size and has offensive upside and plays physical.

I saw Craig Button's monthly draft rankings and Ristolainen was at #19 while Nurse was #23.

As for the goalies, they have all the time they want to develop since Montreal already has Price. It would be good to have some depthe behind him.
We could grab a guy like Domenic Graham in later rounds. He has demonstrated upside when coming into the league at 16-17 yo with the Voltigeurs.

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
  #80
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I guess it is just that I see Nurse play more. I have not seen a full game for Ristolainen and there aren't many highlights. All I know is they are similar players and that Nurse has more size and has offensive upside and plays physical.

I saw Craig Button's monthly draft rankings and Ristolainen was at #19 while Nurse was #23.

As for the goalies, they have all the time they want to develop since Montreal already has Price. It would be good to have some depthe behind him.
I've actually seen some people on the prospects board rank Risto ahead of Jones.

overlords is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
  #81
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've actually seen some people on the prospects board rank Risto ahead of Jones.
I never saw him play other than a few highlights. It is hard for me to judge a player on a few seconds of game play. I like what I saw from Nurse and if Ristolainen is an even better version of Nurse, I would be overjoyed with him.

Over Jones...

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
  #82
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
We could grab a guy like Domenic Graham in later rounds. He has demonstrated upside when coming into the league at 16-17 yo with the Voltigeurs.
The one thing I noticed about Graham is his save % has gone down every year. If he is properly developed, he has back-up potential, but that seems to be about it. As a late round pick he would be good.

I would personally prefer to have a Comrie.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
  #83
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I guess it is just that I see Nurse play more. I have not seen a full game for Ristolainen and there aren't many highlights. All I know is they are similar players and that Nurse has more size and has offensive upside and plays physical.

I saw Craig Button's monthly draft rankings and Ristolainen was at #19 while Nurse was #23.

As for the goalies, they have all the time they want to develop since Montreal already has Price. It would be good to have some depthe behind him.
That's fair point. I tend to be fairly biased to the OHL too, because it's what I see most of. I've only seen Ristolainen play a few times (WJC, U-18), so I don't feel that I can justify my opinion. From the little I've seen he's a very good skater, moves the with ease, and plays very physical. His defensive game isn't the best, but he's clearly got of ton of potential. About Nurse being bigger than Ristolainen, I'm not sure about that. The OHL lists Nurse at 6'5" 192 lbs, but they tend to be very generous. Ristolainen is listed on the offical SM-Liiga website as 6'3" 207 lbs, so I'd say they are very close.

Bob McKenzie ranked Ristolainen at 5 and Nurse in the honourable mentions: Source
ISS ranked Ristolainen at 7 and Nurse at 16: Source
Future Considerations ranked Ristolainen at 6 and Nurse at 16: Source

There's many more publications than you can around these boards that have Ristolainen quite a bit higher than Nurse too. I'd say Craig Button opinion on their rankings is something very few hold.

That is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 08:03 PM
  #84
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
That's fair point. I tend to be fairly biased to the OHL too, because it's what I see most of. I've only seen Ristolainen play a few times (WJC, U-18), so I don't feel that I can justify my opinion. From the little I've seen he's a very good skater, moves the with ease, and plays very physical. His defensive game isn't the best, but he's clearly got of ton of potential. About Nurse being bigger than Ristolainen, I'm not sure about that. The OHL lists Nurse at 6'5" 192 lbs, but they tend to be very generous. Ristolainen is listed on the offical SM-Liiga website as 6'3" 207 lbs, so I'd say they are very close.

Bob McKenzie ranked Ristolainen at 5 and Nurse in the honourable mentions: Source
ISS ranked Ristolainen at 7 and Nurse at 16: Source
Future Considerations ranked Ristolainen at 6 and Nurse at 16: Source

There's many more publications than you can around these boards that have Ristolainen quite a bit higher than Nurse too. I'd say Craig Button opinion on their rankings is something very few hold.
Fair point. If everyone is so high on Ristolainen, I guess he must be very good. I can't really judge as I haven't seen him play enough.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
  #85
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've actually seen some people on the prospects board rank Risto ahead of Jones.
They are the two most complete defenders in this draft class, but I think Jones just has better defensive instincts and that puts him at least a step ahead. But if you want Jones, Ristolainen is a very nice runners up prize.

Et le But is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
  #86
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Luke Philp is 2013 draft eligible no? Small, but quite interesting skill set.

Rise from the Ashes is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 10:12 PM
  #87
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
We could grab a guy like Domenic Graham in later rounds. He has demonstrated upside when coming into the league at 16-17 yo with the Voltigeurs.
I never saw what was so special about Graham.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 03:02 AM
  #88
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I never saw what was so special about Graham.
Guindon is actually outplaying him this year as a 17 year old rookie and is also eligible in this year's draft. If things keep up like that, I assume Graham's local team should start making inquiries given how bar their goalies are (Gatineau).

hab 4ever is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 03:34 AM
  #89
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
The Habs need to draft a LW to play with Galchenyuk and Collberg in the 1st round IMO. With their three 2nds,it would be to their greatest advantage to add some forwards with size,talent and toughness.If they get J. Drouin or W.Carrier in the 1st round,then I could see A. Wennberg, R.Lafontaine,F.Gauthier,A.Mantha being good choices.Depending upon whose left in the 2nd maybe Sam Morin,Tyler Hill but definitely some players with truculence.The Habs need to draft a couple of these types of players that can skate well and have some talent.Otherwise when the playoffs come in 2-3yrs.their star players will get injured as they have been the last decade with no truculence in the line-up teams target their best players.This must end or the Stanley Cup dreams are all they will ever be dreams.The Habs of the 70's had Bouchard,Robinson,Lupien,Chartraw,Langway,Connor etc.otherwise Don Cherry's Big Bad Bruins would have run them out of the Arena and the same goes for the Flyers.Montreal played with talent but always had the tough guys in reserve.Believe Dat!


Last edited by S Bah: 10-23-2012 at 03:53 AM.
S Bah is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:33 AM
  #90
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,636
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Luke Philp is 2013 draft eligible no? Small, but quite interesting skill set.
November 95 birthday, so no.

And that Carrier goal was sweet.

The Q LW's in this draft are something else:

Drouin
Carrier
Erne
Duclair
Mantha

Really hoping we can get one of them.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
  #91
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Alexander Wennberg is doing really well in the Allsvenskan. He's got 3 goals and 3 assists in 13 games. Which gives him the lead in points for draft eligible prospects in the Allsvenskan. Interestingly enough, I seem to remember him centring Collberg at U-18s in the two games that I caught.

Jacob de la Rose has a goal in 11 games and has racked up 27 penalty minutes . He's also got this massive hit:


André Burakovsky has an assist in 12 games. It seems as though he's playing mostly on the third line.

Gustav Possler seems to be off to a great start in the J20 SuperElit. He has 9 goals and 7 assists 12 games. He's also Erik Nyström's teammates Fellow MODO J20 teammate, defenceman Robert Hägg has, has 11 points in 12 games.

6'3" winger Valeri Nichushkin has 4 goals and 4 assists in 7 games in the MHL, as well as 5 goals in 8 games in the VHL (which I'm assuming is higher level of play).

Another Russian, Pavel Buchevich picked up an assist in the KHL.

That is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
  #92
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I never saw what was so special about Graham.
i like Desrosiers in Rimouski better. Was just named 3rd stars of the week in the Q

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
  #93
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
November 95 birthday, so no.

And that Carrier goal was sweet.

The Q LW's in this draft are something else:

Drouin
Carrier
Erne
Duclair
Mantha

Really hoping we can get one of them.
Add Raphael Lafontaine to that list from AcadieBathurst Titan-9G & 4A = 13Pts in 14Games.My favorites being Drouin,Carrier in the 1st and Mantha,Lafontaine in the 2nd.Mantha also plays RW making him more versatile and he's from Longueuil even better.As a Hab fan I would love to see the Habs draft all of these players;Drouin,then CarrierLW,GauthierC,ManthaRW,they would make a very large 2nd line with speed,talent & size.The only thing that would make the draft better is drafting all of them in Montreal and getting Sam Morin in the 3rd round.Dreamer!!


Last edited by S Bah: 10-24-2012 at 10:17 AM.
S Bah is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
  #94
Asamu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saguenay
Country: Canada
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
I've just read an article on JC Lipon, the leading scorer of the WHL this year after 13 games (32 points) . Article HERE

Can the Canadiens spend a late pick in 2013 for him? It seems that this player has the skill, heart and work ethic to make it to the NHL.

Asamu is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
  #95
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
I've just read an article on JC Lipon, the leading scorer of the WHL this year after 13 games (32 points) . Article HERE

Can the Canadiens spend a late pick in 2013 for him? It seems that this player has the skill, heart and work ethic to make it to the NHL.
They could but better to sign him as an overager on june 21st 2013 when he turns 20 if that's allowed under CHL rules.

S Bah is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
  #96
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
They could but better to sign him as an overager on june 21st 2013 when he turns 20 if that's allowed under CHL rules.
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get drafted in June. Have been impressed with what i've seen so far.

montreal is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM
  #97
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
I was home sick yesterday and caught up on some games and prospects...

I finally watched the Quebec/Drummondville game that TVA showed yesterday - was really unimpressed with Sorensen. Made a lot of "jeux dentelles" and avoided contact as much as possible. He was willing to drop to block shots at least but otherwise...didn't see much good from him.
Erne was OK, quiet first half and then he took a terrible penalty just when his game seemed to be coming around. Intriguing mix of speed and abrasiveness though.

Then I watched London/Erie on Sportsnet. Despite how much they focused on McDavid, he wasn't a big factor, but his talent is evident. They pointed out he's on pace (points wise) for a season similar to Tavares' in his first year under exceptional status, so good on him, hope he keeps it up.

Max Domi was really good, yet again. Is his size/skating really the only thing keeping him from being ranked higher? Seems to have an overload of puck skills. He really is the complete opposite of his dad though, don't think I saw him mixing it up or getting his nose dirty once.

Bo Horvat looks like a pretty good third liner, he was blocking shots and hustling all game.

Craig Button seems to have fallen for Nikita Zadorov recently but I have to say I didn't notice him much in this game. I wasn't particularly looking out for him though.

Finally I tried to watch the Brandon game last night to see Ryan Pulock, but the stream kept cutting out. I'll check it on demand today.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
  #98
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I was home sick yesterday and caught up on some games and prospects...

I finally watched the Quebec/Drummondville game that TVA showed yesterday - was really unimpressed with Sorensen. Made a lot of "jeux dentelles" and avoided contact as much as possible. He was willing to drop to block shots at least but otherwise...didn't see much good from him.
Erne was OK, quiet first half and then he took a terrible penalty just when his game seemed to be coming around. Intriguing mix of speed and abrasiveness though.

Then I watched London/Erie on Sportsnet. Despite how much they focused on McDavid, he wasn't a big factor, but his talent is evident. They pointed out he's on pace (points wise) for a season similar to Tavares' in his first year under exceptional status, so good on him, hope he keeps it up.

Max Domi was really good, yet again. Is his size/skating really the only thing keeping him from being ranked higher? Seems to have an overload of puck skills. He really is the complete opposite of his dad though, don't think I saw him mixing it up or getting his nose dirty once.

Bo Horvat looks like a pretty good third liner, he was blocking shots and hustling all game.

Craig Button seems to have fallen for Nikita Zadorov recently but I have to say I didn't notice him much in this game. I wasn't particularly looking out for him though.

Finally I tried to watch the Brandon game last night to see Ryan Pulock, but the stream kept cutting out. I'll check it on demand today.
Honestly, I feel his skating issues are overblown. He's improved his foot speed a lot since last year, even though his technique is a little odd.

Size is his biggest issue. It's not just the fact that's he's 5'9", but the style of game that he plays. He likes to drive the net hard and would rather go through people than around. That's a great quality for a player to have, but it's much easier to do that at 5'9" in the OHL, than it is at 5'9" in the NHL.

I doubt this is an issue that most see, but personally, I'm not sold on his offensive upside either. He relies a lot on his strength to get things done. It's nice to see that he battles it out in front of the net, but sometimes you just have to slip away from the play to get open for a shot. Which he rarely does.

He's one hell of a player, has NHL bloodlines, and has incredible work ethic. So I'm sure some people see him much differently than I do.

That is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
  #99
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Very nice!he might be the BPA when the Habs pick if Drouin is already gone.
Being in Rimouski, Morin didn't impress me that much from what I saw. I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd round (or maybe late in the 2nd round).

When it comes to Rimouski, Gauthier and Kostalek should be drafted before Morin.

ChuckyToGally is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 12:58 PM
  #100
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,585
vCash: 500
I know this is for subscriber only but guess i would post link anyway of my 2 recent iso video i filmed & edited for hockeyprospect.com. If anyone is interested in watching them.

18 minute Adam Erne Iso video

12 Minute Nick Sorensen Iso Video

JeromeHP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.