HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calvin de Haan Out for the Season

Old
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Calvin DiPietro
yeah except w/o the 15 year contract. Feel bad for the kid as he is probably down in the dumps on himself right now. Just have to pick yourself back up and prove that you can stay healthy. I think he has the skill/ability to play in the NHL.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Well this news blows!!

10-22-2012, 05:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I feel sorry for the guy, but looking ahead how many more of these events do we need to start making plans for him not to be here? They need to assume he is Martinek part 2 and own up to the required trade for a higher end defenseman who is around 23 to 26 to fill the gap before some of the other defensemen (kids still) grow into the top 4.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of Martinek. A lot of potential upside early in his career stagnated by many injuries.
martinek never had a chronic injury.

his body was just made of glass

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Parise9Crosby87

wow that sucks i had high hopes for him

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Very sad, and something that has been so commonplace in his young career that one can't help but wonder if the shoulder woes will ultimately prevent him from playing any NHL hockey whatsoever.

Just gotta keep the faith that it'll hopefully all one day work out.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Jester9881

People shouldn't write this kid off yet, even considering the injuries. Some athletes go through this as they grow into their bodies. Look at Jose Reyes' career.

CDH has a very slight build, I tend to think that's the problem and not that he's simply "injury prone". Believe it or not.... he's still VERY young and has a lot of filling out to do. Patience

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:24 PM
leaponover

guess i'll be like other posters on here for someone else...

Yeah, I knew this kid was bad news what a bum! He goes out and gets injured every season. It's his style of play. He's too cocky and needs not try as hard so he doesn't get hurt. I could tell by his style of play he will always be injured. He should just retire.

Sound familiar?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
leaponover

This doesn't remind me of Martinek... more like Scott LaChance. At least Scotty could just go to the bench and get the thing popped back into place and not miss a shift. Maybe DeHaan will reach that point after 3 or 4 more of these...

Old
10-22-2012, 10:38 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Perhaps it's not luck, he's injured his shoulders several times. Structural weakness and susceptibility to injury?

Not writing him off by any means, that said, with the accumulation of injuries (especially to the same parts) you start to wonder, A) if he can fully develop into a reliable NHL D man, B) if his body will allow him to even reach that point.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Perhaps it's not luck, he's injured his shoulders several times. Structural weakness and susceptibility to injury?

Not writing him off by any means, that said, with the accumulation of injuries (especially to the same parts) you start to wonder, A) if he can fully develop into a reliable NHL D man, B) if his body will allow him to even reach that point.
The first one may have been bad luck. But once you dislocate your shoulder it'll almost certainly happen again sooner or later.

I have an uncle who regularly pops his own shoulder back into the socket after the most minor of contortions of the shoulder. Granted, he probably never properly rehabbed his first shoulder separation like a professional athlete, but shoulders are troublesome.

I'm sure KO will suffer another dislocation sooner or later as well (as much as I wish he wouldn't).

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
we moved alot to target this kid, I hope it works out. some dman taken after CDH

Kulikov
Rundblad
Despres
Indeed, for anyone who had already felt that the Isles went overboard in their march to grab de Haan at pick #12, this is yet another particularly stinging blow.

Naturally, there was some headshaking with respect to doing all that moving up just to leave Kulikov on the table, especially seeing how he's been turning out.

All in all, that draft has given us not only Tavares, but also Cizikas, Nilsson and Lee (keeping those fingers crossed) and at the moment, it's still looking like we'll have an an above-average haul.

WARNING - Possible can of worms being opened:
Still, even at the time, especially the de Haan pick, and then also the Koskinen pick to kick off day two, were picks that just kind of made you think the Isles were making a very, very specific statement, like "We've identified these two boys as kids we absolutely must have in our organization. We see them as special. We believe they are surefire future Isles who will be part of the turnaround on Long Island. Therefore, we are doing what we need to to grab them before any other team can, cost what it may or be it much earlier than others would suspect."

I know a number of us were scratching our heads when it happened (me included), but that draft ultimately saw us turn picks 28, 31, 35, 56, and 77 into de Haan and Koskinen. Hindsight is certainly 20/20, but here are a few names that went alone between 28 and 56:
- Ryan O'Reilly
- Kyle Clifford
- Dmitri Orlov
- Simon Despres
- Anton Lander
- Robin Lehner
- Jakob Silfverberg
- Stefan Elliot
- Brian Dumoulin
- Eric Gelinas
- Carter Ashton

A few interesting names that went within a dozen picks after 56 include:
- Brayden McNabb
- Jesse Blacker
- Tomas Tatar
- Tyson Barrie
- Brandon Pirri

The team can't really do anything about these injuries to de Haan and he was obviously well-esteemed and had a nice skillset. There's hardly a team in the league that needs the strength of picks 28, 31, 35, 56, and 77 in a solid, solid draft group to work out for them as much as the Isles.

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing either de Haan or Koskinen in a productive role for the Isles anytime soon.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 10-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
People shouldn't write this kid off yet, even considering the injuries. Some athletes go through this as they grow into their bodies. Look at Jose Reyes' career.

CDH has a very slight build, I tend to think that's the problem and not that he's simply "injury prone". Believe it or not.... he's still VERY young and has a lot of filling out to do. Patience
Write off, no. But they also can't continue pretending he is a solid top 4 in waiting anymore either. I am not sure I would point to a baseball player in comparison. How about Iafrate? A great pick, a great defenseman, completely unreliable as a roster spot due to injuries for all but three years, had to leave the sport in his early thirties but really was a non factor before he even hit 30. I tend to agree with you on this being his frame doing him in, and hopefully he can change that, but losing an entire development season is significant. A smart GM starts plans for this to be Calvin's future road and fill whatever hole he filled on future depth charts with some other body. IMO of course.

Chapin raises a good point about this being a real jog to those who didn't like him being drafted over others, like Kulikov, but I would still look at it separately as the injury history seemed to build post-draft. If there is a strong record pre-draft then yeah, shame on the Isles. That they made a mistake passing on Kulikov... I would still make that argument even if CdH was injury free.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Write off, no. But they also can't continue pretending he is a solid top 4 in waiting anymore either. I am not sure I would point to a baseball player in comparison. How about Iafrate? A great pick, a great defenseman, completely unreliable as a roster spot due to injuries for all but three years, had to leave the sport in his early thirties but really was a non factor before he even hit 30. I tend to agree with you on this being his frame doing him in, and hopefully he can change that, but losing an entire development season is significant. A smart GM starts plans for this to be Calvin's future road and fill whatever hole he filled on future depth charts with some other body. IMO of course.

Chapin raises a good point about this being a real jog to those who didn't like him being drafted over others, like Kulikov, but I would still look at it separately as the injury history seemed to build post-draft. If there is a strong record pre-draft then yeah, shame on the Isles. That they made a mistake passing on Kulikov... I would still make that argument even if CdH was injury free.
Will possibly never know if it was a good move or not because CDH won't be proving anything this year. Who knows if he will ever get a chance. Anyway, once again I won't fault management for something out of their control. It's like being mad at the people who drafted Heatley because he caused the death of another teammate. It's just not something the Isles could have controlled and Kulikov's health could be reversed with CDH's in a heartbeat.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Damn, horrible news. Really starting to wonder if brittle de Hann will ever be the big time dman we were hoping for.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
The first one may have been bad luck. But once you dislocate your shoulder it'll almost certainly happen again sooner or later.

I have an uncle who regularly pops his own shoulder back into the socket after the most minor of contortions of the shoulder. Granted, he probably never properly rehabbed his first shoulder separation like a professional athlete, but shoulders are troublesome.

I'm sure KO will suffer another dislocation sooner or later as well (as much as I wish he wouldn't).
I do know knee dislocations happen that way (susceptibility) from personal experience.

The only benefit I could see coming out of this is more playing time (and development) for Donovan; as for CDH, not much.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Aucoin3

This guy is made of glass, he will never be a top performing NHL talent. What a waste of a ton of picks.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
This guy is made of glass, he will never be a top performing NHL talent. What a waste of a ton of picks.
Meh, tough to call it a waste. He was showing some very good potential both recently and last season, so I can't see how it was a bad draft pick by any means unless his injury prone ways were somehow obvious. It's like trying to say DP was a mistake draft pick, it's all hindsight, DP was a very good goalie before the injuries started piling on and the mistake was simply the 15 year contract...not the pick.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv2002 View Post
damn--I have high hopes for him in the future. hopefully he can bounce back without regressing

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
damn--I have high hopes for him in the future. hopefully he can bounce back without regressing
Hopefully...

But if we're realistic, there have simply been too many shoulder-related issues since he was drafted. I know friends in hockey who play and have had similar problems. They never go away. It's not chronic like something like arthritis, but the stability and solidity of the whole shoulder complex just can't be made back to knew and building up the muscular system of the shoulder is naturally much more difficult due to the stress that lifting weights and putting certain pressures on the joint cause.

These shoulder problems, once they've recurred a couple of times, never go away.

Of course, these friends are only playing semi-pro hockey where things are hardly as rough or intense as anything like the ECHL, AHL or yes, of course, the NHL.

Chances of him overcoming this issue to one day be a stable, productive NHLer are not on his side at this point.