HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
theOutsider

vCash: 500
Alex Galchenyuk, what is he missing...

What is Galchenyuk missing to start this season (if there is one) with Montreal?
What aspect(s) of his game does he still have to polish to make the big jump? or do you think he would be ready?
What starting role would give him with the big club? (line, opp, pp, pk, etc)

Old
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

He needs to find his game back. It's coming along, but I feel he's not as good as he could be right now.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

He's fully recovered from the injury but he still needs to properly adjust. If the season starts in jan he might have better chance at making the roster then if the season started in oct.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Teammates that can finish his sick plays.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:49 PM
domdo345

Gally could play in MTL this season, but it probably wouldn't be for his best. Decision making, always keeping his feet moving, shot accuracy, learning a new system, consistency etc...He's still a prospect and every hockey players (even Crosby and Malkin) have things to work on. I just think he needs more maturity and experience of the game at pro levels.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:50 PM
DAChampion

Galchenyuk won't be a 1st line player in 2013-2014, so we have at least two summers to acquire a top-line player by the UFA market.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:02 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOutsider View Post
What is Galchenyuk missing to start this season (if there is one) with Montreal?
What aspect(s) of his game does he still have to polish to make the big jump? or do you think he would be ready?
What starting role would give him with the big club? (line, opp, pp, pk, etc)
Galchenyuk is missing polish, if he didn't miss last year than it may be a different story, but he's certainly most not NHL ready. Which is expected from a 3rd overall pick anyway.

He has to improve his shot accuracy, it was a huge part of his success as a player in his rookie season. He created chances just by shooting because he almost always seemed to generate a rebound. He could have had about 3 or 4 more goals if his accuracy was like what it normally is. Galchenyuk also has to improve his acceleration. He's actually a very fast skater, and knows how to use it, but he takes a few extra steps to get up to that speed. Finally, he needs to work on his stickhandling. Now, before anyone says he's unreal, I'm not saying he isn't, but he needs to know when to use it better. He has a tendency (that goes back to rookie season) to stickhandle himself him into the corner, as well as some times he tries to put on that one extra move when he's already beaten the defender (which wasn't a previous problem). The good from that though is that his creates some great scoring chances by stickhandling himself into the corner and make a tape to tape pass through like 2 players. Still, very rarely does that fly in the NHL.

If I had to guess when he's going to be ready, it will be next year. I would give him third line minutes as centre and give him time as winger in the top 6, and give him second PP duties. If he produces I would give him top 6 time as a centre. I'd also like to see him get some PK time, but not on the first waves. Were a good PKing team and putting a rookie in that situation would not be ideal.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
If I had to guess when he's going to be ready, it will be next year. I would give him third line minutes as centre and give him time as winger in the top 6, and give him second PP duties. If he produces I would give him top 6 time as a centre. I'd also like to see him get some PK time, but not on the first waves. Were a good PKing team and putting a rookie in that situation would not be ideal.
Which is too bad, because optimally he should be in the AHL next year, unfortunately he's not allowed to be in the AHL until the 2014-2015 season.

He's be too good for the OHL in 2013-2014, but if he's on the Habs there's a risk Therrien might limit his minutes because his priority is to win games.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Which is too bad, because optimally he should be in the AHL next year, unfortunately he's not allowed to be in the AHL until the 2014-2015 season.

He's be too good for the OHL in 2013-2014, but if he's on the Habs there's a risk Therrien might limit his minutes because his priority is to win games.
Yet...what's the problem in limiting the minutes of a young 1st year kid? What if that's exactly what he needs to NOT be the go-to-guy in his first year, yet learn slowly the NHL game with not a lot of expectations (I mean, way too high expectations, it is Montreal after all...)

Old
10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet...what's the problem in limiting the minutes of a young 1st year kid? What if that's exactly what he needs to NOT be the go-to-guy in his first year, yet learn slowly the NHL game with not a lot of expectations (I mean, way too high expectations, it is Montreal after all...)
It seems intuitive to me that playing 20-25 minutes of 1st line duties in Hamilton will be more educational than 7-10 minutes of 3rd/4th line duties in the NHL.

Aside from the playing time, there's a different role in the two, and you're allowed to make mistakes in one but not in the other.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It seems intuitive to me that playing 20-25 minutes of 1st line duties in Hamilton will be more education than 7-10 minutes of 3rd/4th line duties in the NHL.

Aside from the playing time, there's a different role in the two, and you're allowed to make mistakes in one but not in the other.
But the AHL is not in play here. So CHL or NHL?

Old
10-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Martin Lapointe saw him 3 times this year already. And others have seen him as well. Will never say this enough.....just refreshing to see the new direction we're headed. Brisebois with Dietz, Lapointe with Gally etc.....Just great to see.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Martin Lapointe saw him 3 times this year already. And others have seen him as well. Will never say this enough.....just refreshing to see the new direction we're headed. Brisebois with Dietz, Lapointe with Gally etc.....Just great to see.
He might just be telling Alex to use the Habs for leverage once he turns UFA.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
What makes you think Timmins wasn't doing all this before the house cleaning?

Old
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Galchenyuk is missing polish, if he didn't miss last year than it may be a different story, but he's certainly most not NHL ready. Which is expected from a 3rd overall pick anyway.

He has to improve his shot accuracy, it was a huge part of his success as a player in his rookie season. He created chances just by shooting because he almost always seemed to generate a rebound. He could have had about 3 or 4 more goals if his accuracy was like what it normally is. Galchenyuk also has to improve his acceleration. He's actually a very fast skater, and knows how to use it, but he takes a few extra steps to get up to that speed. Finally, he needs to work on his stickhandling. Now, before anyone says he's unreal, I'm not saying he isn't, but he needs to know when to use it better. He has a tendency (that goes back to rookie season) to stickhandle himself him into the corner, as well as some times he tries to put on that one extra move when he's already beaten the defender (which wasn't a previous problem). The good from that though is that his creates some great scoring chances by stickhandling himself into the corner and make a tape to tape pass through like 2 players. Still, very rarely does that fly in the NHL.

I would think that Therrien would make him play as a winger on Eller's line and if he produces, he can play with Pleks and Gionta. He is actually in a pretty bad situation with Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller already at centre. The one thing in his favour, in my opinion, is Montreal's PP. It is really bad and if it was up to me, I would almost be ready to put him on the first wave.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
NotProkofievian

This is a tangential question at best, and there may be a quick explanation for why teams don't do this:

but why don't NHL teams send their kids to pro leagues other than the AHL to develop, given the restrictions on players from the CHL from entering the AHL at an early age?

Old
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I would think that Therrien would make him play as a winger on Eller's line and if he produces, he can play with Pleks and Gionta. He is actually in a pretty bad situation with Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller already at centre. The one thing in his favour, in my opinion, is Montreal's PP. It is really bad and if it was up to me, I would almost be ready to put him on the first wave.
Given how the three centers are likely to be used, with Desharnais pure offense, Eller defensively focused and Plekanec two-way he`d more ideally 51`s LW if you want to start him off getting offensive minutes and avoiding to heavy defensive responsibilities.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
That

Honestly, I'd like to see him groomed similar to what Boston has done with Seguin.

Give him a small role on the third line, rotating him between centre and wing. Forcing him to learn the ropes of playing defence at an NHL. Then letting him take hop up into the top 6, again rotating between centre and wing.

The differences are that Galchenyuk is better defensively than Seguin was at the same age, but Seguin is a much better winger than Galchenyuk. It will be interesting to see how this organization develops him into the player that he can be.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
What makes you think Timmins wasn't doing all this before the house cleaning?
Only 24 hours in a day, plus if you look at Timmins he's already using up 6 hours a day to be at the gym.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:01 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
But the AHL is not in play here. So CHL or NHL?
He will have nothing to learn in the CHL in 2013-2014, so NHL, but that doesn't negate the fact that the AHL would be a better option.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:03 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

He lacks offensive ability.. obviously..

Old
10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
He lacks offensive ability.. obviously..

Lol, what a move. Is this the now infamous Hottot whiff?

Old
10-22-2012, 08:11 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Given how the three centers are likely to be used, with Desharnais pure offense, Eller defensively focused and Plekanec two-way he`d more ideally 51`s LW if you want to start him off getting offensive minutes and avoiding to heavy defensive responsibilities.
I think Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais are almost certain to stay together. Unless they dont do well this year, they will still be together.

Eller will likely be given a more offensive role and Galchneyuk will help him achieve his full offensive potential. Maybe Leblanc or Gallagher can complete the trio.

Pac - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Galla./Leblanc

It would make a pretty good top 6.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Lol, what a move. Is this the now infamous Hottot whiff?
Yes. Reid Boucher has quite the collection beauty whiffs from Galchenyuk passes too.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I think Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais are almost certain to stay together. Unless they dont do well this year, they will still be together.
They remind me of Higgins-Koivu-Ryder and Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev.

Closed Thread