HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
  #401
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Why do ringers insist on playing in lower divisions?

This one guy has 20 goals, the next closest to him has 5. I know they want to play with their friends and stuff, but how is it fun for them when they are so dominant?
how fun is it? My guess is it's very fun for them!

That is probably my biggest pet peeve.

You should be able to "vote out" players who are too good, based on multiple team complaints and the discretion of the league. If I was in charge that would be the first thing I'd do, and make sure that the lesser players in the lesser divisions only have to play against players of comparable talent and not B/C level players.

the worst is on my own team, we have a guy who could play B but I assume he's here so he can be the star of the team. But he spends the whole time on the bench telling the other people on the bench how much the people currently on the ice suck. If you want better teammates, go play where you belong!

seventieslord is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
  #402
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Cool story, bro.

FYI I do have fun. The response to my first post made it seem like i was in there chasing the score keeper shouting. Jesus, it was a beer league frustration thread and I was frustrated so I posted. Ill let you guys know the verdict. If you want to assume my whole team doesn't care about points and I'm running around moaning about a missed assist I can't help you. But it took me all of thirty seconds to write a quick email, if the director is annoyed by it, he can tell me to **** off. Otherwise I will follow those same procedures every time.

I play my heart off out there and half the time I'm the only winger covering on D, so stop assuming things when you know about 5% of what happened lol
I think the point (no pun intended originally, but now pun intended) is to not worry about the assists and putting energy into making sure each one is tallied. It also seems like (also based on previous posts I have read) that you are really intent on proving yourself to your new team and making sure every point is counted helps you feel like you contributed. Contributions to teams and wins come in many ways other than point totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
In a weekly pick-up game I am always lined up as a winger against a defender who uses his stick like an axe. I am a stronger player than him and, as a result, I win the majority of our one-on-one encounters both along the boards and in open ice. What bothers me is that every time I win one of these battles he indiscriminately hacks at the puck as I pull away in a last ditch effort to disrupt my progress. Maybe 10% he hits my stick or the puck and he is effective, whereas the large majority of these hard slashes fall on my leg, hip, arm. This week was particularly bad as I had 6 large bruises and/or bleeding cuts after our last game (despite wearing equipment).

After biting my lip for a few weeks and saying nothing, I showed my opponent the result of his stick work this past week and asked politely that he be more considerate with his stick. In particular, I pointed out that I have no problem battling with him, and that my concern lies in his wild slashes as I am pulling away because he has little control over his stick in that situation. He responded that he was taught to battle until the last moment and he can't change the way he plays because then he will be ineffective during the game. He said that he doesn't expect me to take it easy on him when we are battling. I was at a loss of how to respond.

Any one had a similar experience(s) and can offer advice on how to approach this situation in the future? Hacking him back is not the solution as I know he will just escalate his behavior.
I think at that point I would let him know if he doesn't stop doing it, he is going to get hit because that is how you were taught. After he gets hit once or twice, maybe he would be more willing to alter the way he plays the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Was score keeping a lower level game last night and the game was pretty lopsided, white team scores to go up 8-0 so one of the officials comes over to give me the details of the goal/assist and the white teams captain skates over to the box to make sure the ref gave him the SECOND assist on the goal.

Seriously?

That being said, the same captain keys the stats for his team and he's the ONLY guy on his team with SOG an +/-
Maybe this is the same guy emailing his league about assists being missed?


My new frustration is the teams that will be the first to dish out it out (the rough stuff, start the chippy play, chirping, etc.) also seem to be the teams that whine the most when an opponent comes within 5 feet of them and absolutely loose their **** when a hit, slash, shove etc. is returned their way. Goes back to the poster that mentioned he has no problem returning the favor if the other team starts the nonsense up. It amazes me how many people can dish it out but go bonkers when it is served right back up to them.

Splitbtw is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
  #403
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,410
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
If you're worried about stats (other than W-L) in a beer league you're playing the wrong game. NHL 13 has a bunch of children who measure their e-peen in the EASHL.
I gotta disagree here. I mean if you've been playing 20 or 30 years then fine, but when you're new to the game (which many people on here are) then it's very fun to keep track of for, if only for the novelty factor, when you're first starting up, and after the rookie label wears off it's a good way to mark your progress over the next few years.

But turning the argument back around on you... this is freakin beer league, who really cares about W-L anyways? All it really counts for is playoff seeding at the end of the year, and most leagues have every team make the playoffs anyways. Plus except for the small number of teams at the top or at the bottom a positive or negative W-L can be a simple matter of shifting your team up or down a division or two.

I mean really, we're paying those expensive league fee's because I assume we all find the game fun to play, not to be a 'winner'. It's a little more fun when you win but at the end of the day none of it really matters.

RandV is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
  #404
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 492
I'm the worst player on my team, and probably one of the worst in the league. Last year was the first time I've played since 2004, and I was even terrible back then. Every time I look for hockey training I find out its only kids. Its bloody embarrassing being a university student and training with twelve year olds. I just wish I could find a system of improving besides getting out to the weekly games.

Luckily my team is really cool about it and is more than helpful during games. They know I'm the worst and are really encouraging. But alas, I'm out of shape, can't shoot and the second the puck hits my stick I panic and toss it away.

jigglysquishy is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:37 PM
  #405
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'm the worst player on my team, and probably one of the worst in the league. Last year was the first time I've played since 2004, and I was even terrible back then. Every time I look for hockey training I find out its only kids. Its bloody embarrassing being a university student and training with twelve year olds. I just wish I could find a system of improving besides getting out to the weekly games.

Luckily my team is really cool about it and is more than helpful during games. They know I'm the worst and are really encouraging. But alas, I'm out of shape, can't shoot and the second the puck hits my stick I panic and toss it away.
who do you play for?

seventieslord is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
  #406
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I gotta disagree here. I mean if you've been playing 20 or 30 years then fine, but when you're new to the game (which many people on here are) then it's very fun to keep track of for, if only for the novelty factor, when you're first starting up, and after the rookie label wears off it's a good way to mark your progress over the next few years.

But turning the argument back around on you... this is freakin beer league, who really cares about W-L anyways? All it really counts for is playoff seeding at the end of the year, and most leagues have every team make the playoffs anyways. Plus except for the small number of teams at the top or at the bottom a positive or negative W-L can be a simple matter of shifting your team up or down a division or two.

I mean really, we're paying those expensive league fee's because I assume we all find the game fun to play, not to be a 'winner'. It's a little more fun when you win but at the end of the day none of it really matters.
slightly disagree. everyone wants to win. its the people who make winning in beer league a life or death situation that need a reality check. I go out to have fun with some friends and as soon as the clock hits 00, im already thinking about how many beers im going to have in the locker room

Beezeral is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
  #407
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
When I used to ref adult league games, there were always guys coming to me right after a goal to say they got an assist. Even at rinks that didn't put anything but the score on the score sheet.

The rink I play at keeps stats, but I wish they wouldn't. It takes time that I'm sure they figure into our league fees. I'd rather pay less per team than have stats that no one records correct and wouldn't matter even if they did.


They keep stats in this league (HNA) and usually do a pretty good job of it. If you work/supervise a game it's $20 credited toward your account next season. So it's easy money especially if your paying almost $1,000 like I am for two teams.

That being said, I have no problem with the stats if guys (remember were talking adults here) don't go overboard with it; but when you have a guy coming to the score box to make sure he got a "2nd assist" in an 8-0 game is a beyond douchery. Not to mention this guy on both of his teams records his lines' shots on goal and +/- when NO ONE else in the league does.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
  #408
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Giving them to the closest people to the puck is better than giving them to people who are on the bench We've had our goalie score goals, even people who weren't even at the game. I think they've started to care a lot more lately, but it used to be so bad we were more interested in seeing how badly the stats would get messed up than to see if they were correct.
Yeah, our stats showed a GAA and save percentage for a person that was BETTER than the stats for our actual goalie, and even worse - the person with the stats was on THE OTHER TEAM! And, she's never played goalie in her life.

I do agree that as a n00b, it's fun to keep track of stats just so you can see your progress. I had no goals or assists in my first season. Second season, I had 1 goal and 2 assists. This is now my third season and between the 3 teams I've played with, I've got 1 goal and 5 assists. I don't really care if the points are kept anywhere "officially" but just knowing that I'm getting better and contributing more to my team is enough for me. I wouldn't ever go up and tell the scorekeeper, but when the team is discussing it in the locker room afterwards, we try to make sure everything is accurate for our own team records.

TickleMeYandle is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
  #409
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
who do you play for?
My college (engineering) has it's own beer league. I'm in Saskatoon

jigglysquishy is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
  #410
Suddenly7
Registered User
 
Suddenly7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
how fun is it? My guess is it's very fun for them!

That is probably my biggest pet peeve.

You should be able to "vote out" players who are too good, based on multiple team complaints and the discretion of the league. If I was in charge that would be the first thing I'd do, and make sure that the lesser players in the lesser divisions only have to play against players of comparable talent and not B/C level players.

the worst is on my own team, we have a guy who could play B but I assume he's here so he can be the star of the team. But he spends the whole time on the bench telling the other people on the bench how much the people currently on the ice suck. If you want better teammates, go play where you belong!
On my Friday team a teammate and I are the ringers of the team. We usually play in the higher league, but play on Friday just for our friends. It's actually really fun to play in the lower league because you have more room to be creative with the puck. We usually tone it down once we are up by 4 goals. Personally I take myself out of the game or just clear the puck on defense. I'm realizing a lot more now that many low level teams have a couple ringers on their teams. So really it evens out.

Suddenly7 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
  #411
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
My college (engineering) has it's own beer league. I'm in Saskatoon
Oh, ok. I thought I knew you. there are a lot of people in the ASHL who are both jiggly and squishy.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
  #412
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I think the point (no pun intended originally, but now pun intended) is to not worry about the assists and putting energy into making sure each one is tallied. It also seems like (also based on previous posts I have read) that you are really intent on proving yourself to your new team and making sure every point is counted helps you feel like you contributed. Contributions to teams and wins come in many ways other than point totals.
Just to end this once and for all.

I got an email back from the director that simply says.

"Updated!"

He also says in a later email that they post the stats for a reason.

you guys should all call the rink i play at and let em have it

I tried to end this earlier. and the guy said he hates people like me so it seemed unneccesary.

Mostly I want to tally my points, maybe ill do it myself, but i like seeing it official. im deploying and wont be playing hockey for a while, and depending on when i get back may miss the next fall session. so yes, id like to see my points. i didnt speak to the score keeper, i said ZERO words about it during the game, and the one email i sent the captain was partially sarcastic anyway. sigh, whatever

the energy i spent on it, was literally a 10 second email from my phone and i went back to what i was doing. sheesh. ive spent much more unneeded energy posting about it on here haha.


Last edited by do0glas: 10-22-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: the final verdict :P
do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
  #413
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
On my Friday team a teammate and I are the ringers of the team. We usually play in the higher league, but play on Friday just for our friends. It's actually really fun to play in the lower league because you have more room to be creative with the puck. We usually tone it down once we are up by 4 goals. Personally I take myself out of the game or just clear the puck on defense. I'm realizing a lot more now that many low level teams have a couple ringers on their teams. So really it evens out.
sounds like you're one of the good ones.

and you're also right that from a W-L perspective, it evens out.

But, for the lesser players it makes a huge impact having those players in that league with them. Both for and against. It results in much, much less puck time which is no good for fun or for skill development. Both because better opposition players force faster decisions, and because the puck will always gravitate towards the ringers on your team and away from you.

edit: wow, that was my 20,000th post. How unusual that it was in a forum that I rarely set foot in. Probably 19,500 of my posts are in HOH and ATD.


Last edited by seventieslord: 10-22-2012 at 05:22 PM.
seventieslord is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
  #414
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I tried to end this earlier. and the guy said he hates people like me so it seemed unneccesary.

Mostly I want to tally my points, maybe ill do it myself, but i like seeing it official. im deploying and wont be playing hockey for a while, and depending on when i get back may miss the next fall session. so yes, id like to see my points. i didnt speak to the score keeper, i said ZERO words about it during the game, and the one email i sent the captain was partially sarcastic anyway. sigh, whatever

the energy i spent on it, was literally a 10 second email from my phone and i went back to what i was doing. sheesh. ive spent much more unneeded energy posting about it on here haha.
I get what ya mean and personally I don't care either way what people want to do. But either side is a losing battle; neither is going to change the opinion of those that have a stance on either side of it. To sum it all up, "meh".

Our league actually encourages teams to email the staff for changes if they wish to do so. They don't mind. Scorekeepers don't care if anyone goes up and asks if they got 'em on an assist, and half the time if they're unsure the ref will ask the players who did what. What's funny on that end is sometimes they're so far off you wonder what the hell they were looking at (assist to a guy on the bench, goal by a guy behind the blue line, etc.) and how they were so sure that they didn't ask a player.

All in all, you and your team know who's valuable and when/where they are. It's all good, man, just keep putting them in and/or setting them up. When THAT stops you'll have something to really worry about

Ozz is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
  #415
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I get what ya mean and personally I don't care either way what people want to do. But either side is a losing battle; neither is going to change the opinion of those that have a stance on either side of it. To sum it all up, "meh".

Our league actually encourages teams to email the staff for changes if they wish to do so. They don't mind. Scorekeepers don't care if anyone goes up and asks if they got 'em on an assist, and half the time if they're unsure the ref will ask the players who did what. What's funny on that end is sometimes they're so far off you wonder what the hell they were looking at (assist to a guy on the bench, goal by a guy behind the blue line, etc.) and how they were so sure that they didn't ask a player.

All in all, you and your team know who's valuable and when/where they are. It's all good, man, just keep putting them in and/or setting them up. When THAT stops you'll have something to really worry about
thanks for the support.

I get where they are coming from, i just didnt appreciate how they painted it to seem like i was like "Hey scorekeeper! you missed my assist...come onnnnnn!!!"

I emailed the director back specifically to make sure that me emailing him for a missed assist or goal wasnt annoying.

Hockey Director:

Itís not annoying at all. Itís what makes hockey fun especially at our facility. Not all rinks keep accurate stats, we do! And we appreciate being accurate. So help me spread the word!!

so, for me the argument is null and void. and im sure every rink is different, and should i play in another rink I will make sure I know what annoys people and what doesnt.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
  #416
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
thanks for the support.

I get where they are coming from, i just didnt appreciate how they painted it to seem like i was like "Hey scorekeeper! you missed my assist...come onnnnnn!!!"

I emailed the director back specifically to make sure that me emailing him for a missed assist or goal wasnt annoying.

Hockey Director:

It’s not annoying at all. It’s what makes hockey fun especially at our facility. Not all rinks keep accurate stats, we do! And we appreciate being accurate. So help me spread the word!!

so, for me the argument is null and void. and im sure every rink is different, and should i play in another rink I will make sure I know what annoys people and what doesnt.
I think in the end it always just boils down to don't be a jerk about things, and it seems like you went about it the right way.

You want to know your points are being counted, thats fine, just be polite and don't whine about it.

You really want to win, thats fine just don't take it past the point of things being safe/being a jerk to your teammates.

You're a ringer and want to play with your friends, that's fine, just don't run up the score and rub it in the other teams face.

You want to be aggressive, that's fine, just realize we all have jobs that aren't hockey (try not to hurt anyone)

Just try not to be too big of a d bag and things will be fine

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
  #417
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I think in the end it always just boils down to don't be a jerk about things, and it seems like you went about it the right way.

You want to know your points are being counted, thats fine, just be polite and don't whine about it.

You really want to win, thats fine just don't take it past the point of things being safe/being a jerk to your teammates.

You're a ringer and want to play with your friends, that's fine, just don't run up the score and rub it in the other teams face.

You want to be aggressive, that's fine, just realize we all have jobs that aren't hockey (try not to hurt anyone)

Just try not to be too big of a d bag and things will be fine
completely agree.

one thing i dont understand is how some forwards seem to turn on the burners whilst in the offensive zone, but as soon as the puck goes the other way its like they forgot how to skate.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
  #418
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
completely agree.

one thing i dont understand is how some forwards seem to turn on the burners whilst in the offensive zone, but as soon as the puck goes the other way its like they forgot how to skate.
I love playing teams that do that. We exploit the hell out of them! Then when you get the hangers who rack up goals on teams that don't know any better, all you have to do is keep an eye on him and their whole gameplan blows up.

Ozz is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
  #419
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I love playing teams that do that. We exploit the hell out of them! Then when you get the hangers who rack up goals on teams that don't know any better, all you have to do is keep an eye on him and their whole gameplan blows up.
Its rough, our team isnt that offensively gifted in the first place. we go dump and chase and we tend to score on rebounds. so our team mentality should be defense first. id much rather take the OTL than just get smoked like 4-1.

the other weird thing is when we have a shorter bench we play smarter...but who knows.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
  #420
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
My only beer league frustrations would be the scheduling. I signed up for Intramurals, I got put on a team of guys who are in the MBA program. Most of my team works full time, and the only game times we've had have been Tuesday night at 11:30, and Friday morning at 11:00. My school doesn't have classes on Friday, but we only get 5 guys out to our games because the rest of my team has to work.

Noob616 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
  #421
cupfailure713
Registered User
 
cupfailure713's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
how fun is it? My guess is it's very fun for them!

That is probably my biggest pet peeve.

You should be able to "vote out" players who are too good, based on multiple team complaints and the discretion of the league. If I was in charge that would be the first thing I'd do, and make sure that the lesser players in the lesser divisions only have to play against players of comparable talent and not B/C level players.

the worst is on my own team, we have a guy who could play B but I assume he's here so he can be the star of the team. But he spends the whole time on the bench telling the other people on the bench how much the people currently on the ice suck. If you want better teammates, go play where you belong!
This is my biggest pet peeve as well. Every year we encounter the same thing. Everyone starts off on an equal footing, maybe one or two teams start with players who have no business playing at that level. 4-5 games in, most teams start bringing in higher level players. By the holidays you have college kids returning from school playing on c-league/d-league teams.

The kicker here is that our league rules clearly state that you are not allowed to play two levels below the highest level played. Example, if you play B-league, you are allowed to play C-league, but not D-league. This league coordinators of the past would just ignore it when brought to their attention. This year we have a new league coordinator so we will see how things go.

To wrap things up, my team is now moving down a level because of the amount of A-League players playing in C-league. Our team is mostly mixed with B, C, and D league players, but we do not belong in the lower league. I guess I am also frustrated over since I don't like playing down a level. I feel like I get no exercise when I do and it isn't any fun holding back. We've gone through two seasons winning about 20% of our games, so hopefully we just spend one season here.

I took a look at the stats from last season at the level we dropped down to and saw that 5 players had 30 goals or more in 20 games with 50 or more points. So I guess it is safe to say our team will be challenged. The top 9 scorers from our previous league last season all play A-league at another rink.

cupfailure713 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 12:51 AM
  #422
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,750
vCash: 500
Beer leagues are notoriously bad for awarding and crediting assists to the right people.

PierreMcGuire* is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 01:24 AM
  #423
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,410
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
Beer leagues are notoriously bad for awarding and crediting assists to the right people.
Only time I ever had a problem with it was the start of my first winter league. Our beginners team jumped into the beginners division in the final 8 games of the regular season and I finished a PPG, then over my first full summer season I found myself up there with the ringers in the top 10 for division scoring with a 1.5 PPG pace so I was quite proud of myself. At this point I figured that maybe you lose an assist here, but chances are you get a freebie assist the next game.

Then the new winter season begin and I started in a slump with my points dropping, and to make matters worse the refs were missing most of my assists. I only got in 10 games before moving to another city, but where my count was something like 10-1-6-7 the official site only listed me with 10-1-2-3. I never wanted to be the guy chasing down the ref to make sure they had the assist but it was getting kind of frustrating.

Of course once I found myself on a team in my new city it turned out to be pretty good and I found myself in divisions way above my skill level, so my days of being a scorer were long over . After 3 years of this however I may be finally getting to the point where I can be a semi regular contributor on the scoresheet again in a poor man's Ryan Smyth - type fashion.

RandV is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 12:25 PM
  #424
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post


They keep stats in this league (HNA) and usually do a pretty good job of it. If you work/supervise a game it's $20 credited toward your account next season. So it's easy money especially if your paying almost $1,000 like I am for two teams.

That being said, I have no problem with the stats if guys (remember were talking adults here) don't go overboard with it; but when you have a guy coming to the score box to make sure he got a "2nd assist" in an 8-0 game is a beyond douchery. Not to mention this guy on both of his teams records his lines' shots on goal and +/- when NO ONE else in the league does.
HNA is a gong show

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
  #425
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfailure713 View Post
The kicker here is that our league rules clearly state that you are not allowed to play two levels below the highest level played. Example, if you play B-league, you are allowed to play C-league, but not D-league. This league coordinators of the past would just ignore it when brought to their attention.
Same here, except the rule only applies to playoffs. In the regular season itís the wild west, but they really tighten up the rules when it counts. We got disqualified because we got to the finals with one player who had played some senior (which is fair because in level D he is about as valuable to us as Bobby Orr was to Boston)

All you have to do is challenge and if youíre right they wonít turn the other cheek.

That, unfortunately, doesnít address my concerns of A/B level players who play the whole regular season, either for or against me. It makes the game much less enjoyable.

seventieslord is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.