Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 08:46 AM
randyc

vCash: 500
Smaby

I heard high ankle sprain of his left ankle the next night. Those take a while to heal.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Everybody seems to be fine with replacing Lydman with some rookie. Count me in the minority. Toni's trade value is minimal today. Going into the season his value is much higher to us than whatever we could get for him.

Every good playoff team needs a solid, steady, veteran D man on the blueline. If we get to the trade deadline and some rookie has really outplayed Toni to that point then go ahead and trade him. You will likely get as much for him at the deadline as you will at the start of the season (assuming there is a start). Besides, do you really want a raw rookie to add with Fowler and Sbisa (who are still learning the game) to make up half of our D? Especially not knowing how Beauch will come back and how long it will be before Souray get hurt again?

I see Toni as cheap insurance who can be sold at any time for the same price. Let's not get antsy just because everyone wants to see Vatanen in Anaheim so soon.
This.

What is the saying? You can never have too many solid defensemen. Why trade a solid NHL vet with one year left on his contract just to let an unproven kid play?

Isn't the point to win games? Can the people who want Lydman traded honestly tell me that you feel more confident with Vatanen or Lindholm in the lineup than you do with Lydman penciled in?

Old
10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
This.

What is the saying? You can never have too many solid defensemen. Why trade a solid NHL vet with one year left on his contract just to let an unproven kid play?

Isn't the point to win games? Can the people who want Lydman traded honestly tell me that you feel more confident with Vatanen or Lindholm in the lineup than you do with Lydman penciled in?
Exactly. What happened to rookies forcing their way on to the team? If they deserve to make the team, they'll make it happen. No sense in just handing them the job.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
It's really not about wanting Vatanen in ANA asap. I want the best players in ANA asap, and if the Ducks find out that Sami is in fact better than Lydman, then I really don't think they should hesitate in dealing Lydman. They need to put the best team on the ice. Now that doesn't mean I think they should blindly trade Lydman away. I think they should evaluate Vatanen in training camp/preseason, and if Boudreau feels like Vatanen is a better fit for the current team than Lydman, then Lydman needs to be shipped out.

Like Exit Dose said, we have plenty of solid, stable, shutdown, veteran defenseman between Beauchamin, Allen, and Souray. Having three old veterans, 2 young veterans(Fowler and Sbisa), and one rookie on the blue line is really not a big deal at all. I actually think it would be a nice blend of size, mobility, and puck movement.
Assume Lydman is #7, below Sami. This is established during training camp.

You start the season with the best top 6. Now either A) Souray gets injured or B) Beauchemin has a recurrence. As a result that player is out for an extended period of time. Both quite likely to happen.

You're saying you would rather trade Lydman away after training camp and not be prepared for either scenario? I personally also think trade values are especially low after training camp. Rosters are set and GMs are happy with what they have. You have to wait a couple months or so into the season when teams realize who's underperforming.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Emerald Duck

I was actually hoping that Vatanen was going to benefit by learning NHL defense by practicing and playing with Lydman. Unfortunately we're caught in a numbers game now on our blueline, so unless someone gets hurt there's not a roster slot at the moment for Sami.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

I know this is going to spark the BM hate but can you imagine if we had just signed Beauchemin in the first place and Schultz wasnt a ****** bag:

Fowler
Beauchemin
Schultz
Gardner
Vatanen
Lindholm
Sbisa

Of course we may not have gotten Fowler and probably wouldnt have drafted Lindholm but hey.

I still think we should keep Lydman until the deadline. His value will be the same if not higher then it is now.

Last edited by Gliff: 10-22-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I know this is going to spark the BM hate but can you imagine if we had just signed Beauchemin in the first place and Schultz wasnt a ****** bag:

Fowler
Beauchemin
Schultz
Gardner
Vatanen
Lindholm

Of course we may not have gotten Fowler and probably wouldnt have drafted Lindholm but hey.

I still think we should keep Lydman until the deadline. His value will be the same if not higher then it is now.
Sbisa? Anyway...that's way too soft a blueline. Absolutely too soft. I'd have made some trades by this point if this is what I had to work with.

EDIT: What do you mean we wouldn't have gotten Fowler? I distinctly remember being nervous at the thought of having four OFD's in Fowler, Gardiner, Schultz, and Vatanen. Gardiner was traded after we drafted Cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
I was actually hoping that Vatanen was going to benefit by learning NHL defense by practicing and playing with Lydman. Unfortunately we're caught in a numbers game now on our blueline, so unless someone gets hurt there's not a roster slot at the moment for Sami.
That's just simply not true. Training camps always insist that every job is in danger. If Vatanen outplays Lydman by a far enough margin, they'll absolutely make room for him.

Last edited by DuckJet: 10-22-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
EDIT: What do you mean we wouldn't have gotten Fowler? I distinctly remember being nervous at the thought of having four OFD's in Fowler, Gardiner, Schultz, and Vatanen. Gardiner was traded after we drafted Cam.
If we had originally re-signed Beauchemin, we probably would've done a little better that year=later pick.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Admiral Al

I woundnt be suprised if the Ducks sign another Defenseman, there are alot of good high draft picks available right now with the lockout, teams probably are going to dump guys if the lockout ends and if it dosnt end alot of contracts will expire at years end. So I predict the Ducks sign another Defenseman very soon.,

Old
10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Sbisa? Anyway...that's way too soft a blueline. Absolutely too soft. I'd have made some trades by this point if this is what I had to work with.

That's just simply not true. Training camps always insist that every job is in danger. If Vatanen outplays Lydman by a far enough margin, they'll absolutely make room for him.
Forgot one of my fgavorites players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
If we had originally re-signed Beauchemin, we probably would've done a little better that year=later pick.
Correct

Old
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Hawktopus

I've been checking the box score and I'm wondering: What happened to Dan Sexton? I don't think he's dressed for the first 4 games, is he a healthy scratch?

Old
10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktopus View Post
I've been checking the box score and I'm wondering: What happened to Dan Sexton? I don't think he's dressed for the first 4 games, is he a healthy scratch?
Sexton is locked out, the Ducks didn't offer him an AHL contract.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

10/22/12

Norfolk Admirals – Week in Review:
By: Brad Johnson

This past week the new-look Norfolk Admirals jumped out to a 4-0 start on the season with a pair of home wins against the Worcester Sharks and Connecticut Whale. While the names on the back of the sweaters are different, the crest on the front remains the same, which means the incredible consecutive regular season winning streak extends to 32 straight. Norfolk hits the road for the first time this season, playing a pair in Newfoundland on the “Rock” against the St. John’s Ice Caps. Last season the Admirals swept the Ice Caps out of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference Finals, however, most of the Admirals personnel this season were members of the Syracuse Crunch team that lost in the opening round of the playoffs at the hands of the Ice Caps. The Admirals will return home to face the Binghamton Senators on November 2nd and 3rd.

Kyle Palmieri (2g, 4a) and Sami Vatanen (1g, 5a) lead the team in scoring with 6 points. Corey Elkins and Patrick Maroon are tied for the team in goals with each having 3 apiece. Rookie Chris Wager has an impressive +5 rating through the first four games on the season and also netted his first professional goal in Saturday's 6-3 win. Igor Bobkov (68 Saves on 75 shots, 3.24gaa, 0.907%) and Frederik Andersen (51 saves on 56 shots, 2.51gaa, 0.911%) have split the goaltending duties registering two victories apiece.

10/12/12 - Admirals 4 vs. Sharks 2

On October 12, 2012 Admirals fans saw their team return to the ice for the first time since capturing the 2012 Calder Cup Championship, however, as most everyone in the AHL hockey world knows by now this past offseason featured an affiliation swap between the Anaheim Ducks and Tampa Bay Lightning. This essentially means that the players whom won the Championship for Norfolk back in June are now members of the Syracuse Crunch and the players wearing Crunch sweaters last season are now officially your Norfolk Admirals. At the end of the day the game of hockey is a business and we must move forward. Fans that were able to attend opening night saw a very brief Calder Cup Championship “Celebration”. The Admirals management made the best of a difficult situation, as there were no returning players from the Championship team; the Admirals front office brought the Calder Cup to center ice and dropped the Championship Banner from the rafters. Following a loud applause and acknowledgement from the stands it was time to officially move forward and your 2012 Norfolk Admirals were introduced onto the ice.

John Mitchell opened the scoring just 2:07 into the 2012 campaign off a beautiful give-and-go from Devante Smith-Pelley. Peter Holland picked off a pass in the neutral zone and broke in alone across the blue line firing a wrist shot past Stalock the Sharks netminder to give the Admirals a 2-0 lead at the 12:47 mark of the opening period. From that point the Admirals remained in control as they went onto win the contest by a 4-2 count.

10/13/12 - Admirals 4 vs. Sharks 3 - Shootout

The following night it was once again the Admirals opening the scoring early, Patrick Maroon scored on a deflection just 1:11 into the contest, however, it was a much tighter contest and for much of the game the Admirals found themselves in their own defensive end. Despite being outshot 45-29 the Admirals escaped victoriously while completing the sweep of their opening weekend series against the Sharks by way of the shootout. Both teams played a physical contest with big hits coming from both benches. In my opinion the Sharks held the advantage most of the night and kept pressing all night long. Bobkov appeared to be shaky at times with his rebound control but he never folded. Bobkov was absolutely stellar and a difference maker in the final twenty minutes as the Sharks swarmed the net outshooting the Admirals 19-5 in the 3rd. Bobkov was even bigger in the Shootout turning aside 4 of 5 shots to earn the W in his Norfolk debut. The Admirals franchise winning streak was extended to 30 consecutive regular season victories as Norfolk defeated the Worcester Shark 4-3 in the shootout.

10/19/12 Admirals 5 vs. Connecticut 4 – Overtime

Friday night was the Corey Elkins show. Elkins began the scoring after a sound defensive play at 1:02 of the opening period. The Admirals would hold a 4-2 lead heading into the final 20:00 of play where it was former Admiral and 2012 Calder Cup Champion Brandon Segal lighting the lamp twice for the visitors to force the extra period and earning the Whale their first point on the season. The celebration was short lived as Elkins would close out the scoring in dramatic overtime fashion; Lasch worked the puck to Vatanen whom quickly sent a pass to an un-defended Corey Elkins who wasted no time burying his third goal past a sprawling Missiaen for his third goal of the night, completing the Hat Trick and leading the Admirals to victory.

10/20/12 – Admirals 6 vs. Connecticut 3

The Norfolk Admirals, top affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks defeated the Connecticut Whale, whose NHL parent club is the New York Rangers by a 6-3 margin. The Admirals start mirrored that of each of the previous three games, as the Admirals were once again the first team to the find the back of the net to start the game. Norfolk has begun the season 4-0 for just the second time in franchise history. The story of the night was special teams, Norfolk went 3/8 with the man-advantage and added 2 short handed goals on their way to a 6-3 victory.

Want the most recent Admirals News?
Norfolk Admirals Fans United
http://www.admiralsfansunited.com
http://www.facebook.com/admiralsfansunited
Old
10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Admiral Al

So what do people think about defenseman Ryan Parent He would be a great pick up for the Ducks formar 1st round pick

Old
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
So what do people think about defenseman Ryan Parent He would be a great pick up for the Ducks formar 1st round pick
He might make sense as an AHL pick-up, but as an NHL pick-up, there's just no place for him.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm working on an article about Vatanen.. Is there anything else specifically they would like asked of him? I'm also looking to feature another current Admirals player and would be happy to take suggestions.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Exit Dose

One of the two goalies would make for an interesting read.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJohnson View Post
I'm working on an article about Vatanen.. Is there anything else specifically they would like asked of him? I'm also looking to feature another current Admirals player and would be happy to take suggestions.
The questions I mentioned before is what i would love to hear from Sami.

I would love to learn more about Wagner and Holland.

Keep up the great work

Old
10-23-2012, 07:05 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Number one on my list is Lindholm. Rumors were he'd go back to Sweden if the lockout drags on too long. I don't think it's true but I am interested to see how he's liking his current situation.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Yes, What is his opinion of time needed to adapt to the smaller NA rinks and more specifically what is management's opinion of how long it will take and what he specifically needs to work on relative to this issue.

Thanks.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
What does he think he needs to work on? What areas do the coaches want him to work on?

Old
10-23-2012, 07:55 PM
AngelDuck

My question is for Holland: What does he feel he needs to prove to lock down a center spot in Anaheim?

Old
10-23-2012, 08:26 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

great questions! I'll see what I can get answered tomorrow. hope everyone is having a good evening

Old
10-24-2012, 12:17 AM
MiXeriZe

I'd like to hear from Sami, is it easier to play without such a superstar status that he had in Finland.

ps. is there any chance he'd start tweeting/facebook? I'm sure there's many who'd love to hear more things and thoughts from this guy. And I know he's not into this kind of stuff but still..

Jay, my first post

Last edited by MiXeriZe: 10-24-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Adding stuff.. plus learning the ropes rookie way
Old
10-24-2012, 12:33 AM
airforceones25

Holland.... Love Holland been his biggest praiser on here for the past 3 years. Not enough articles on Mr. Peter...

Also naturally would like to here about Lindholm.

....... Welcome to HFBoards MiXeriZe, the home of facepalms, terrible trade proposals, extreme homerism, and epic photoshop threads. Cheers!

Closed Thread