HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013 1st Overall Pick

Old
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If Edmonton gets it they should move down.

And don't bring up Yakupov-Murray. Completely different.
If the value is there, then I agree with you. If they don't get full value for moving down from 1st overall, I'd rather just take the BPA even if there's positional issues.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:54 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Throw in some 3rd liners.

Both teams dont do this.
nvm...

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Because a Franchise defenseman would make a bigger to you lineup than adding another franchise centre. You currently have a potential franchise centre and a decent 2nd line centre, but no top pairing defensemen. If you can trade down from Mackinnon to Jones and gain a nice asset while doing so imo they should do it.
Jones is ranked #1 by several scouts right now. I could see teams taking him at #1.
MacKinnon at #1 is by no means a done deal and I would expect Barkov to be in that conversation by the time the draft comes around too.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
4 spots is absolutely massive when it's from 5th to 1st. The value difference of those picks is huge. Even 2nd to 1st in certain years (such as 2012) is a huge change in value.

Whoever's picking 1st overall next year says no easily. Toronto would definitely do it. They're packaging a bunch of lesser pieces + Rielly for a potential generational talent.
who in this draft has the potential to be a generational talent? Mackinnon and Jones may become very good players but I dont think either has generational talent. Reilly may end up as good as any player in this draft and you add in what may be a top 10 pick.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Jones is ranked #1 by several scouts right now. I could see teams taking him at #1.
MacKinnon at #1 is by no means a done deal and I would expect Barkov to be in that conversation by the time the draft comes around too.
Alright, if Columbus is right behind you, they'll be picking Mackinnon over Jones. Swap down and pick up a guy like Savard or something.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Oates2Neely

Prediction:

Islanders win 1st overall pick this season, draft McKinnon & trade Strome to Toronto for Reilly or Gardiner.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

I think that Jones and Mackinnon are alot closer than most people think, they may be 1a 1b by the time the draft rolls around, especially if Jones keeps on improving and if Mackinnon slows down alittle. I think this will be the closest race in quite awhile.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Prediction:

Islanders win 1st overall pick this season, draft McKinnon & trade Strome to Toronto for Reilly or Gardiner.
I could see Islanders getting 1st overall too but yikes! I would never trade Gardiner or Reilly for Strome. Gardiner has proven is worth in the NHL and Strome couldn't even break the Islanders line up last year.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
who in this draft has the potential to be a generational talent? Mackinnon and Jones may become very good players but I dont think either has generational talent. Reilly may end up as good as any player in this draft and you add in what may be a top 10 pick.
I highly doubt it.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Prediction:

No interest in flipping Strome for either Reilly or Gardiner.

If the isles were that high on Reilly, they'd have taken him 4th overall this season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
I could see Islanders getting 1st overall too but yikes! I would never trade Gardiner or Reilly for Strome. Gardiner has proven is worth in the NHL and Strome couldn't even break the Islanders line up last year.
Yes, 18 yr old Strome, needing to add weight and develop a stronger defensive game, didn't make the NYI roster. Clearly, that show what a disappointing prospect he is

Old
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Too much!

Seriously, unless the 2012-13 season is lost and a surprise team get the 1st overall pick via lottery, I say that any team that will get the 1st next season will keep it. Usually teams finishing last won't trade their young assets. They'll focus on rebuilding...

Anyway the NHL keeps getting younger and younger and prospects nowadays worth a lot more than it used to.

I don't mind any team getting the 1st really except Edmonton. They just had 3 in a row.

Looking at rosters right now, I think that Winnipeg or NYIslanders are probably the two teams that most likely to get the 1st overall pick next season.

I'm liking the sound of that. Even if the NYI get the 1st pick I'd still be thrilled beyond belief!!!

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
rypper

Two thoughts...

If there is a lottery for first overall, I don't think that edmonton mathematically has a great shot at getting the first pick.

If I'm columbus and picking first, I'm holding onto that pick unless someone offers me something ridiculously good. Like over the top overpayment good.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
Two thoughts...

If there is a lottery for first overall, I don't think that edmonton mathematically has a great shot at getting the first pick.

If I'm columbus and picking first, I'm holding onto that pick unless someone offers me something ridiculously good. Like over the top overpayment good.
even then unless they are rfa's they can have another carter problem. Better to draft IMO for them.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
4 spots is absolutely massive when it's from 5th to 1st. The value difference of those picks is huge. Even 2nd to 1st in certain years (such as 2012) is a huge change in value.

Whoever's picking 1st overall next year says no easily. Toronto would definitely do it. They're packaging a bunch of lesser pieces + Rielly for a potential generational talent.
I would agree most years but this draft might be similar to 2006 (minus the top guy under performing. )

There could be a few future number 1 centers in the top 5.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
mapes

Quote:
Too much!

Seriously, unless the 2012-13 season is lost and a surprise team get the 1st overall pick via lottery, I say that any team that will get the 1st next season will keep it. Usually teams finishing last won't trade their young assets. They'll focus on rebuilding...

Anyway the NHL keeps getting younger and younger and prospects nowadays worth a lot more than it used to.

I don't mind any team getting the 1st really except Edmonton. They just had 3 in a row.

Looking at rosters right now, I think that Winnipeg or NYIslanders are probably the two teams that most likely to get the 1st overall pick next season.
What about Columbus? If there is a season, I'd be shocked if they finished above 30th.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Well it depends on your definition of generational

Based upon prior accomplishments, MacKinnon/Jones are likely to be a Stamkos/Kovalchuk/Kane level talent (somewhere in that range).

That's simply a cut above prospects like Reilly. You have to overpay considerably to get elite talent like that. If Toronto picks high in the draft then I'd do it if a 1st round pick is included, but otherwise I think whoever gets 1st overall would have to pass.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No interest in flipping Strome for either Reilly or Gardiner.

If the isles were that high on Reilly, they'd have taken him 4th overall this season.
i'd flip Strome for Rielly in a second!!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:30 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What about Columbus? If there is a season, I'd be shocked if they finished above 30th.
i don't know where all this Winnipeg stuff is coming from...if we play any part of this season, i would expect Columbus and the Isles to battle it out for last overall and each have a shot at 1st overall.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
i don't know where all this Winnipeg stuff is coming from...if we play any part of this season, i would expect Columbus and the Isles to battle it out for last overall and each have a shot at 1st overall.
because if the whole season goes lock out jets should have 3 balls if they do the same format.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
because if the whole season goes lock out jets should have 3 balls if they do the same format.
right, i suppose they would have as good a chance as anyone? but if i'm them, if i'm picking top 3, my pick is going nowhere!!

Old
10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
LeHabsMan

I think the top 3 will be something like Toronto, NY Islanders and Columbus.

The only thing that would make any of these teams trade their pick is an established top pairing D-man (Yandle ++ or top 4 guy, 1st and 2nd rounders) for New York, a 1st line centre (Getzlaf or Stastny ++) and high quality prospects, young players and picks for Columbus.

Although NYI=Jones, TOR=MacKinnon and Columbus=anyone with skill (Barkov, Monahan..)

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
right, i suppose they would have as good a chance as anyone? but if i'm them, if i'm picking top 3, my pick is going nowhere!!
No not as good as any, jets will get 3 balls in that system same with teams like Columbus, but other teams will only have 1 ball and less chance to have a high pick, but still random a strong team has a good chance to hit a top ten and a worse team less of a chance but a chance to fall.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I think the top 3 will be something like Toronto, NY Islanders and Columbus.

The only thing that would make any of these teams trade their pick is an established top pairing D-man (Yandle ++ or top 4 guy, 1st and 2nd rounders) for New York, a 1st line centre (Getzlaf or Stastny ++) and high quality prospects, young players and picks for Columbus.

Although NYI=Jones, TOR=MacKinnon and Columbus=anyone with skill (Barkov, Monahan..)
From the reports about how a weighted lottery would work, 6-7 teams would have 3 lottery balls. The isles are one of several teams, who would have 2 lottery balls.

Based on the weighted system, I wouldn't expect the isles to draft top 3.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
From the reports about how a weighted lottery would work, 6-7 teams would have 3 lottery balls. The isles are one of several teams, who would have 2 lottery balls.

Based on the weighted system, I wouldn't expect the isles to draft top 3.
Isles have 2, since they picked 1st in '09.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote