HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
That's all nice and rosie that you share your opinion of what you think would happen, but it'd be nice if you gave reason and logic behind it. Because from what I've seen neither the Flyers or Penguins improved this past offseason. Both teams missed out on multiple free agents. The Rangers improved significantly but yet they are going to drop? I scoff at your opinion.

The Leafs have better players in front of their netminder than Buffalo, Carolina, and I think even Ottawa. And I'm considering talent, experience, and overall depth. But they have absolutely not had the goaltending. Luongo solves that problem.
Short version: the 'unimproved' Pens, without Crosby for half a season finished a whopping one point behind the the Rangers, who remained relatively injury free (except Sauer ) until the playoffs.
- The Flyers will get better goaltending and have the young players who can take them to the top of the Atlantic.

Having said that all that, my post was more about who the leafs are going to jump in order to make the playoffs so, scoff away and enjoy your day

Old
10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
AceintheSpace*

I think the Flyers drop to be honest. Their blueline is battered, they lost Jagr did more than most think, and well, do I have to explain Bryzgalov..

Old
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
turcotte8

Devils D Anton Volchenkov fractures ankle while playing in KHL, expected to miss 4-6 weeks

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...eeks/#comments

Old
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
NYR Viper

I said it when he was a UFA, Volchenkov is going the way of Jay Mckee. Great shot-blockers don't have long careers......

Old
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I said it when he was a UFA, Volchenkov is going the way of Jay Mckee. Great shot-blockers don't have long careers......
Looks like the Rangers have a pretty short window then, eh?

Old
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Yeah, TBH it's shocking that Girardi hasn't missed a professional game despite being tops in blocked shots.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
This is absolutely true, for more reasons than just what you quoted. As of right now, unless we can find a way to keep Gaborik past this season, which seems unlikely, the season with the greatest chance of victory we have in the immediate future is... this one.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
This is absolutely true, for more reasons than just what you quoted. As of right now, unless we can find a way to keep Gaborik past this season, which seems unlikely, the season with the greatest chance of victory we have in the immediate future is... this one.
Easy. Replace one Marian Gaborik with one Correy Perry. Continue to draft and develop like they have since 2008 and we should be fine.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Easy. Replace one Marian Gaborik with one Correy Perry. Continue to draft and develop like they have since 2008 and we should be fine.
Well an ongoing discussion has been how to eep Marian Gaborik under a (expectantly) lower cap when we have a number of big time RFAs including Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan (as well as UFA Ryan Callahan) coming up for renewal.

Now i'd actually be thrilled to upgrade Gabby to Perry. But realistically after running the numbers (Its been a boring lockout) cannot see how it isn't Gaborik that is the first guy to go if we have to loose someone.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Well an ongoing discussion has been how to eep Marian Gaborik under a (expectantly) lower cap when we have a number of big time RFAs including Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan (as well as UFA Ryan Callahan) coming up for renewal.

Now i'd actually be thrilled to upgrade Gabby to Perry. But realistically after running the numbers (Its been a boring lockout) cannot see how it isn't Gaborik that is the first guy to go if we have to loose someone.
I don't think Gaborik makes as much in his next contract. Either way to say the rangers have short window, really is unfounded. There's no basis for it. They have a good farm system with promising prospects to, maybe not be superstars, but create solid depth and be a very strong team for years to come.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I don't think Gaborik makes as much in his next contract. Either way to say the rangers have short window, really is unfounded. There's no basis for it. They have a good farm system with promising prospects to, maybe not be superstars, but create solid depth and be a very strong team for years to come.
I don't see these promising farm prospects. I really don't. Our system, is not what it was 4 years ago. We have a couple guys that could be 2nd pairing dmen and 2nd-3rd line forwards. I don't think too much of our prospect core right now.

Richards s in his 30's. So in Henrik. I'm not an alarmist, i'm not Neil Smith. But I think that we need to prioritize each season with the intent of winning the cup that year. That means not standing pat at the trade deadline. (John Scott?) That means filling the roster with competition, even if it means bumping players down a line. We need to focus on getting ourselves the best shot at a cup, and not the best chance at being a 6th place team for 8 straight seasons.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I agree. Barring his being willing to take a massive paycut, Gaborik's ticket out of town was unofficially punched when the Nash trade was finalized.

With a (very likely) shrinking cap, and some big players coming up for raises, the team is going to have to make some tough decisions moving forward. The window is here, and this season (with Nash + Gabby) is critical. The Rangers NEED to play NHL hockey this season.

10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Which bites because we are a much better team with Gaborik than without. Potentially our one season with Nash, Richards, Gaborik and guess what? Lockout.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree. Barring his being willing to take a massive paycut, Gaborik's ticket out of town was unofficially punched when the Nash trade was finalized.

With a (very likely) shrinking cap, and some big players coming up for raises, the team is going to have to make some tough decisions moving forward. The window is here, and this season (with Nash + Gabby) is critical. The Rangers NEED to play NHL hockey this season.
He might.

He knows the team has a great chance to win the Cup in the next few years.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Which bites because we are a much better team with Gaborik than without. Potentially our one season with Nash, Richards, Gaborik and guess what? Lockout.
Been griping about this for months. It really is what would happen to the Rangers.

Fingers crossed.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I don't see these promising farm prospects. I really don't. Our system, is not what it was 4 years ago. We have a couple guys that could be 2nd pairing dmen and 2nd-3rd line forwards. I don't think too much of our prospect core right now.

Richards s in his 30's. So in Henrik. I'm not an alarmist, i'm not Neil Smith. But I think that we need to prioritize each season with the intent of winning the cup that year. That means not standing pat at the trade deadline. (John Scott?) That means filling the roster with competition, even if it means bumping players down a line. We need to focus on getting ourselves the best shot at a cup, and not the best chance at being a 6th place team for 8 straight seasons.
I think you're overreacting a bit right here.

For one, I never said we had 1st line players or 1st pairing defensemen in the system. Frankly we don't need to. I'm fine with guys like Miller, Fast, McIlrath, Skjei, Lindberg, etc being 2nd/3rd line forwards, 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen. Why am I fine with that? Because we have 1st line forwards and 1st pairing defensemen. Especially in their prime 1st pairing defensemen. Nash, currently in his prime. Richards should be the only concern given his age of really dropping off. You mention Henrik, but this guy is an all world talent. Not to mention he is constantly in great shape. Goalies like Henrik tend to play into their late 30's with success.

The Rangers scouting department and management have done a fantastic job at the draft the past decade imo. Who's to say they won't draft another "Kreider" late in the draft in the next couple years? Yes I know we don't have our 1st round pick in 2013, but that's why we have Nash. They will continue to make good draft picks as long as they maintain their staff.

As far as the deadline goes, I don't know what you wanted Sather to trade for aka overpay for. It was a poor, poor market. Gaustad garnered a 1st round pick. You make a bad trade at the deadline you probably don't have Rick Nash right now. You'd rather have had them make an impulsive decision for average to mediocre players that were on the market. Let's see what's on the market this year. Maybe Iginla. And the year after that maybe St.Louis. Those are just examples obviously.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
I think you're overreacting a bit right here.

For one, I never said we had 1st line players or 1st pairing defensemen in the system. Frankly we don't need to. I'm fine with guys like Miller, Fast, McIlrath, Skjei, Lindberg, etc being 2nd/3rd line forwards, 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen. Why am I fine with that? Because we have 1st line forwards and 1st pairing defensemen. Especially in their prime 1st pairing defensemen. Nash, currently in his prime. Richards should be the only concern given his age of really dropping off. You mention Henrik, but this guy is an all world talent. Not to mention he is constantly in great shape. Goalies like Henrik tend to play into their late 30's with success.

The Rangers scouting department and management have done a fantastic job at the draft the past decade imo. Who's to say they won't draft another "Kreider" late in the draft in the next couple years? Yes I know we don't have our 1st round pick in 2013, but that's why we have Nash. They will continue to make good draft picks as long as they maintain their staff.

As far as the deadline goes, I don't know what you wanted Sather to trade for aka overpay for. It was a poor, poor market. Gaustad garnered a 1st round pick. You make a bad trade at the deadline you probably don't have Rick Nash right now. You'd rather have had them make an impulsive decision for average to mediocre players that were on the market. Let's see what's on the market this year. Maybe Iginla. And the year after that maybe St.Louis. Those are just examples obviously.
Forwards generally peak around 25-26. Sure, there are some that are the exception, but Richards, Gaborik and Nash (less so) are not in their primes. They are not in the twilight, but if I were a betting man, I would say that those three will produce less and less each year onward. That's why every year is important.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Forwards generally peak around 25-26. Sure, there are some that are the exception, but Richards, Gaborik and Nash (less so) are not in their primes. They are not in the twilight, but if I were a betting man, I would say that those three will produce less and less each year onward. That's why every year is important.
Peak at 25-26? Since when? Nash is 28. To say he is not in his prime is ridiculous. And if you have the expectation that he is going to decline every year already at just 28, then we made a bad trade.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:57 PM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
He might.

He knows the team has a great chance to win the Cup in the next few years.
I agree.

I think he could re-sign on a cap friendly deal that would take him to the end of his career, but it also depends on the numbers and whether management wants to keep going with kids, which seems likely.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Its the 2013-2014 season, the last year of Gaborik's current contract, that many are worried about fitting him under.

But i'm afraid we are straying off topic.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:30 PM
AceintheSpace*

One more reason this lockout is pissing me off.

If Gaborik never plays a game in blue again because of a potential canceled season and cap casaulties for 13-14 season...

He deserves to be on this team while we are a Cup contender for all hes done the last few years for us.

This team is better with Gaborik than without.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:26 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'd love to keep Gabby here but if they can get a sweet deal for him, it is what it is.

Nash is here for the long haul. Would like to have them together for ideally two runs.

If they got a package similar what Richards and Carter fetched, do you make that move?

Old
10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Zippy316

All the Canucks fans are having a ********** in the trades thread because some guy proposed Raymond for Boyle and Zucs....

I, as a Devils fan, had to tell them that it made no sense for the Rangers...

Old
10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
All the Canucks fans are having a ********** in the trades thread because some guy proposed Raymond for Boyle and Zucs....

I, as a Devils fan, had to tell them that it made no sense for the Rangers...
For one Zuccs is not even really a part of our team right now. He might not be back in the NHL this year.

Two, Mason Raymond isn't an awful player but Boyle is way, way, way more valuable to the rangers for what they need, and how they play at this point. And to be honest he has more to offer than Raymond does at this point in their careers.

Last edited by RGY: 10-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
For one Zuccs is not even really a part of our team right now. He might not be back in the NHL this year.

Two, Mason Raymond isn't an awful player but Boyle is way, way, way more valuable to the rangers for what they need, and how they play at this point. And to be honest he has more to offer at this point than Raymond does at this point in their careers.
That's what I said, Rangers can't afford to lose Boyle as their 3C, or else they'd have to move a guy up that probably shouldn't play that role or convert a guy over like Kreider.

For a better player, the Rangers may consider trading Boyle, but the problems resulting when trading him don't outweigh the benefits that Raymond brings. They all jumped on the deal and figured that since one fan proposed it, he speaks for everyone, it was kind of funny.

Closed Thread