HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread III (It's RGIII's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm not saying they're bad. I just don't think they've looked "good." Mediocre is probably where they stand. If Morris wasn't such a strong runner who rarely goes down on first contact they certainly would look worse. There's still a good amount of room for improvement. The same can be said for a few areas of the team; for once though, we actually have a foundation to build on. If Shanahan keeps building the right way this team can be lethal with Griffin in 2-3 seasons, maybe less. Depends on how they handle the defense. For the first time in years there's light at the end of the tunnel.

10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Cush
-inator

vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/s...22976043810816
Quote:
Justin Tuck on RGIII: "I'm really mad at the football gods for putting him in the NFC East. He's going to be a headache." #NYG
https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/s...36078483271681
Quote:
Osi Umenyiora on RGIII: "That guy is flat-out unbelievable. I’m not even going to lie. That’s the best quarterback we’ve played this year."

Old
10-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yeah, that 4th down conversion looked like he had Madden on easy.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I just hear Cooley is re-signed. Can anyone confirm??

Old
10-21-2012, 09:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
its being reported

http://www.csnwashington.com/footbal...7068621771-849

Old
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Saw this looking up rushing stats for the Skins:

Run Defense: 8th in the league

Pass Defense: 32nd in the league

Holy crap the secondary is horrible. And with more injuries it aint getting any better. So what to do? MeAngelo sucks covering, but is great when able to spy the Qb. So why not move him to FS, get MaPoo Williams to SS or off the field, and play Richard Crawford in MeAngelo's spot. He is a rookie and could use the experience. Hell I can't see how he would do worse than MeAngelo.

Anyway, real possibility that the Skins passing defense will set records for most passing yards, avg. yards per catch, etc... this year. Stupid bad.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It has to happen. Logan Paulson has shown he can function as an NFL TE. Niles Paul is still a year at least away from being a legit TE in the NFL, if he ever is, but the Skins need a vet. Cooley is that guy. Cooley is the only guy.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post

Holy crap the secondary is horrible. And with more injuries it aint getting any better. So what to do? MeAngelo sucks covering, but is great when able to spy the Qb. So why not move him to FS, get MaPoo Williams to SS or off the field, and play Richard Crawford in MeAngelo's spot. He is a rookie and could use the experience. Hell I can't see how he would do worse than MeAngelo.

Anyway, real possibility that the Skins passing defense will set records for most passing yards, avg. yards per catch, etc... this year. Stupid bad.
I'm down with moving Hall to FS as well, I just think he'd do better in that role. I'm just not sure we have anyone to replace him. We need a real cornerback.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Reports are also that he hasn't worked out at all

Old
10-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Duke33

Quote:
You aren't really counting on them making the playoffs are you? It would be nice, but with the secondary the way it is its not likely.

My only hope at this time is for Griffin to remain healthy and play a full season. The Skins will be in every game with him. They will win some, but lose most probably. Experience for Griffin and other young players is the only thing I can count on this year. The pass defense is just to horrible.
Me? I said no before the season started. I don't think they are ever going to produce much under the Shanahans. But if you listen to local media and a large percentage of the fan base, the perception seems to be RG3 is going to do, well everything for this team.

Yes he was worth the draft picks. But the defense is awful, depth is still paper thin in many places. God help them if/when Griffin does get hurt.

No, I didn't expect them to make the playoffs but many people did/do. Yes it's great to watch Griffin but bottom line is they've lost four of seven games. The defense is typically the culprit but it doesn't help when the offense turns the ball over four times in a half either.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:10 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Me? I said no before the season started. I don't think they are ever going to produce much under the Shanahans. But if you listen to local media and a large percentage of the fan base, the perception seems to be RG3 is going to do, well everything for this team.

Yes he was worth the draft picks. But the defense is awful, depth is still paper thin in many places. God help them if/when Griffin does get hurt.

No, I didn't expect them to make the playoffs but many people did/do. Yes it's great to watch Griffin but bottom line is they've lost four of seven games. The defense is typically the culprit but it doesn't help when the offense turns the ball over four times in a half either.

To be fair, the high volume of turnovers in this game is an anamoly based on the previous six this year. And I think a lot of people are just happy to finally have something to be excited about. Before this year, the team was not only pretty pitiful for most of the last decade and a half, but also irrelevant and directionless.

The D is terrible and that's not going to go away this year. Moving Hall to FS helps one area by creating a hole in another. Also not sure how much of this falls on Shanahan A and B. I was never a fan of the father/son coaching arrangement, but Shanahan B has at least stuck with game plans that play to RG3's strengths.

And of course people thought they were going to make the playoffs. A lot of my friends from Cleveland also thought the Browns were going to make the playoffs. Sports just cause some people to be eternally optimistic to the point of ignoring realities. And the secondary, as anyone who actually looked at it before the season could see, was one of those realities for the skins. They won't make the playoffs this season (the 2nd half of their schedule is too brutal), but for the first time since the turn of the century, it feels like they're at least making moves with a plan in mind.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:45 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Haslet seems too predictable. Manning was looking for the exact coverage they exploited for the Cruz TD. Probably practiced for it all week. This seems to keep happening. One that comes to mind was Cincy opening play. They saved that play for Haslet because they knew he would be in a predictable D. We probably would have gotten smoked yesterday if Eli didn't have many unforced bad throws and the INT's.

We can say Madieu sucks but fact is he is an NFL DB. So is Wilson, so is Hall. Even Reed "Tackling Dummy" Dougherty is. Haslet has never done well anywhere IIRC.

At this point, I would risk it can him before the bye and roll with Morris. Nothing reeks of accountability like a head rolling out the door.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

A couple things:

Hall does not suck at covering. He sucks playing in this scheme. Man to man he is pretty decent and his tackling has great improved. Also he is better at CB than he is at Safety which they had him playing alot.

Williams is who he is. The 18mil cap hit along with Merriweather injury and Jackson suspension pressed him into service. The guy is trying hard but he just isn't good.

The D just doesn't have the horses right now. The can't blitz b/c they WILL get burnt. Hazlitt is doing the best he can tho I do get mad at him sometimes I realize the injuries, 18 million hit, suspensions etc have been hurting bad.

Fletcher has lost a step. He is can't cover as good as he used to and that is inevitable with age.

RGIII is unstoppable. Yeah there were turnovers but last I checked the Giants do a very good job at that and have some playmakers on D. But really we moved the ball at will on a VERY good D.

Not worried about the loss. Sucks more about Davis injured. I'm getting ticked at Garcon situation.

Hankerson is young. He made 3 brutal dumb errors (alligator arms, and twice falling 1 yard short of a first down on 3rd down when I thought both times he could/should have made it)

Old
10-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
To be fair, the high volume of turnovers in this game is an anamoly based on the previous six this year. And I think a lot of people are just happy to finally have something to be excited about. Before this year, the team was not only pretty pitiful for most of the last decade and a half, but also irrelevant and directionless.

The D is terrible and that's not going to go away this year. Moving Hall to FS helps one area by creating a hole in another. Also not sure how much of this falls on Shanahan A and B. I was never a fan of the father/son coaching arrangement, but Shanahan B has at least stuck with game plans that play to RG3's strengths.

And of course people thought they were going to make the playoffs. A lot of my friends from Cleveland also thought the Browns were going to make the playoffs. Sports just cause some people to be eternally optimistic to the point of ignoring realities. And the secondary, as anyone who actually looked at it before the season could see, was one of those realities for the skins. They won't make the playoffs this season (the 2nd half of their schedule is too brutal), but for the first time since the turn of the century, it feels like they're at least making moves with a plan in mind.
Well aside from them having an exciting QB, they are still pretty close to irrelevant. They're probably 2-3 more losses from being out of the playoffs again and it's not even November yet. I mean it's great to see Griffin doing his thing but if they're going to continue finding ways to lose games that's the bottom line.

I also am not sure what the plan in mind is. Other than Plan A: Give Griffin the ball and hope we score 30+ a game. Plan B: Pray to God he doesn't get hurt. Their draft options are limited now and their cap room isn't what they originally planned. They could make some creative trades I suppose to fix some of the problems, but they'll need to find some GMs out there who are stupid enough to trade quality players or picks for the Redskins garbage. It's going to take a long time to completely rebuild this team and at some point they need to show some real improvement in the W/L column.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Of course there is shame. NY is very good but inconsistent. No matter how exceptional Griffin is, there's only so much you can go "wow" without seeing more win results. At 3-4 now their margin of error to make the playoffs is getting very slim. They probably need to go 7-2 the rest of the way to make it in.
Agree, this was probably Mannings worse game of the season (so far). Two horrible interceptions, the wounded duck to Wilson when the Giants were on as scoring drive and then the other straight to Jackson right after the Giants defense had gotten a turnover.

Mannings two best throws of the day was the 77 yarder to Cruz and one earlier to the TE Bennett, other than that he was really not accurate, one was on a third down play and Cruz was open for a TD and he flat out missed him.

Also disappointed in the Giants play calling, under 3 left in the game and 3rd and one and they throw? Don't understand it. They never established the run in this game but yet last week their RB went over a hundred against a much better D. Giants should of won this game by at least two TDs if not more. Griffin is good, but his durability will be the issue.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I am turning a 180 on Shanahan, because the Redskins pretty much are competitive in every game. I said before this season they should can him because the team has given up. The team hasn't given up this year. They are competitive even when they lose. They never give up until the final whistle. They are a gritty young team and they will only get better.

They may have lost 4 games, but damn, all 4 of those games were pretty damn entertaining. It's amazing how much this team has improved in one offseason.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

RG3 already is a stud. Barring injury, they're going to win a lot of games.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

If Manning doesn't throw that 77 yard bomb at the end of the game, the story isn't that the Redskins played well to limit his passing attack. The story is that Manning had an awful game, under/overthrew open recievers, had two awful interceptions, and couldn't establish any rhythm with his latest #1 receiver. The Redskins hung around and looked good at certain points in the game, but don't fool yourselves into think they were competitive with a super bowl contender. The Giants team we saw yesterday was far from the Giants at their best.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I am turning a 180 on Shanahan, because the Redskins pretty much are competitive in every game. I said before this season they should can him because the team has given up. The team hasn't given up this year. They are competitive even when they lose. They never give up until the final whistle. They are a gritty young team and they will only get better.

They may have lost 4 games, but damn, all 4 of those games were pretty damn entertaining. It's amazing how much this team has improved in one offseason.
I think I've done a 90 degree turn. I'm waiting to see how they solve the defense.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
If you make him play this style, he'll be done by the time he's 30.

That's why you need the line.

10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
If you make him play this style, he'll be done by the time he's 30.

That's why you need the line.
Really?

I didn't see him take ridiculous shots yesterday. Maybe one or two. Eli probably took more straight out hits than he did.

I'm not saying I feel it's effective for his health to run the ball 10-15 times a game. But at this point, he's going to evolve as a runner to where he needs to do it less, and where they have more options to let him pass more.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If Manning doesn't throw that 77 yard bomb at the end of the game, the story isn't that the Redskins played well to limit his passing attack. The story is that Manning had an awful game, under/overthrew open recievers, had two awful interceptions, and couldn't establish any rhythm with his latest #1 receiver. The Redskins hung around and looked good at certain points in the game, but don't fool yourselves into think they were competitive with a super bowl contender. The Giants team we saw yesterday was far from the Giants at their best.
The Skins moved the ball at will in the 1st half against a SB winning defense. And if it wasn't for turnovers and bad penalites, the Skins wouldn't have been stopped yesterday. The Skins were winning the game with 1:32 left against the defending SB champion. The Giants SB MVP QB didn't have his best game yesterday, and the Skins defense played a part in that.

To come away from yesterdays game to basically say the Skins looked ok from time to time, but were lucky to be in that game is a foolish comment itself. Also makes me wonder if you actually watched the game.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
He is good, no doubt. December 3rd will be the real test for Griffin and the Skins. Thats the 2nd Giants game and the first time Griffin and the Skins will face a team for the second time in the same year. Will the Giants figure out a way to shut down Griffin? Its one thing to watch tape on Griffin and the Skins and try to prepare for him like teams that aren't in the division have to do to prepare. Its another to have actual game experience against him and a little over a month to prepare for the rematch.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:00 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
That 18 million cap hit penalty is coming back to haunt the 'Skins a bit. Guess we'll never know what they would have spent on. Also not a lot of luck when the two safeties expected to start were one, suspended for the year, and the other can't get on the field.

Just continues the importance of drafting despite the lack of a 1st round draft pick the next two season.

10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Well, they've out and out said they would have gotten a right tackle. I think you can put the top safety on the market also into the discussion. Maybe a decent corner as well.

Closed Thread