HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Depends on the track.
If you slap R-tires on a Civic Type-R vs a stock 911 on a slow, twichy track, the Honda will be close, or maybe even faster.

On a high speed track the Porsche will obviously be faster.
I highly, highly doubt it. Weight distribution, 150 extra horsepower, and countless other refinements (engine and transmission, torque vectoring and hydraulic engine mounts, etc) are reasons why that is likely impossible, pretty much regardless. I mean, there's a full 2 second difference in 0-60 times between the two, as well. If the Type R has no chance at high speed, and gets creamed at low speeds as well, how can it possibly make up the difference in handling over one of the better handling German cars out there? I don't think there's a tire out there that'll do that.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:26 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I highly, highly doubt it. Weight distribution, 150 extra horsepower, and countless other refinements (engine and transmission, torque vectoring and hydraulic engine mounts, etc) are reasons why that is likely impossible, pretty much regardless. I mean, there's a full 2 second differrence in 0-60 times between the two, as well. If the Type R has no chance at high speed, and gets creamed at low speeds as well, how can it possibly make up the difference in handling over one of the better handling German cars out there? I don't think there's a tire out there that'll do that.
exactly. The reason I know is I have a buddy who's got a 99 civic with the b18c5 engine. he's got cams, individual throttles, msd ignition, buddy club full suspension, aem big brake upgrade you name it he's got it, he smokes my 330i on the track, we were very close in the M3 till I got the 4:10 rear diff and full exhaust, and my M5 ran circles around him, so if a slightly modified M3 and almost stock M5 beat one of the best civics on the road, I dont think it will take a 911.I beat 911's in my 330i all the time but their usually owned by old men that are afraid to crash it, theirs a reason over 50% of 911s ever built are no longer on the road, not an easy car to drive.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
exactly. The reason I know is I have a buddy who's got a 99 civic with the b18c5 engine. he's got cams, individual throttles, msd ignition, buddy club full suspension, aem big brake upgrade you name it he's got it, he smokes my 330i on the track, we were very close in the M3 till I got the 4:10 rear diff and full exhaust, and my M5 ran circles around him, so if a slightly modified M3 and almost stock M5 beat one of the best civics on the road, I dont think it will take a 911.I beat 911's in my 330i all the time but their usually owned by old men that are afraid to crash it, theirs a reason over 50% of 911s ever built are no longer on the road, not an easy car to drive.
Oh yeah, last week I pulled out and passed 2 cars in a row... on a solid line.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
$47060 (without the heated S/w) versus $35290
98 more HP
better reliability record
better resale record

Don't compare your 2004 Accord with the 2013, totally new ballgame

Accord > entry level BMW at a huge discount

Edit: Looking forward to talking to you about hockey.

lol
funny that you say that because they were asking the same questions in MT (to the public) just a few days ago

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/9275...t-4/index.html

http://wot.motortrend.com/thread-of-...8i-278143.html

Needless to say tmost people took the bmw.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Hey guys, in my last post I was debating a 09 rabbit or 10 Corolla XRS. I was inches away from buying the XRS until I called my insurance. Turns out it's not easy to insure an under 25 male with a DUI on record and a license suspension...

Only two companies were willing to take a chance on me, one for 440$ a month, the other for 325$ a month.

Needless to say thats out of the question, so I began looking for a car to insure 1 way only (3 grand or less). Found this nice little 02 Sentra SE-R Spec V for a decent price. Hand brake doesn't work, it revs high, but it's only got 145,000KM. He is asking 3000$ for it.

What do you guys think?
For the insurance part... Maybe you would want to try with other companies.. I've lost my license, got 1 totaled(non-resp) and 1 little fender bender(RESP.) and I'm at 160 a month.. full.. In a Rx8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Depends on the track.
If you slap R-tires on a Civic Type-R vs a stock 911 on a slow, twichy track, the Honda will be close, or maybe even faster.

On a high speed track the Porsche will obviously be faster.
No it wouldn't. You fail to see my point.

Quote:
Ya....

You fail to understand what I'm pointing out too. I guess I'll have to explain....

When you said you we're eating cars for diner, with your NON-STOCK 3 series, you didn't consider that you spent money on upgrading the car. It's entirely possible that ANY car would be faster than the ANY other car... (Just look at the BTCC series.. they have a record time of 59.131 on silverstone national and a f430 doing 1:07:10 on the same circuit..) Without the mod's..your car would be slower than those other luxury-pseudo-sport sedan's.That's what I meant.

If you fail to understand, I can't do nothing for you.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
lol
funny that you say that because they were asking the same questions in MT (to the public) just a few days ago

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/9275...t-4/index.html

http://wot.motortrend.com/thread-of-...8i-278143.html

Needless to say tmost people took the bmw.
Wow what a timely article. Image and Faux-Prestige trumps many things, including a damn good car.
But they were comparing a turbocharged 328i against the Accord, a little different I think.

Last edited by Agnostic: 10-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 10:10 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If I wasn't a ''race car'' guy and not so much into going fast and sliding sideways... I'd buy a Hybrid AT THE MOMENT.

But the best thing would probably to wait another 4-5 years... The price will come down faster than Cole on the wing.
race car guy lol- bet you consider a hopped up civic a race car.... show me where I said my car eats anything for diner, u lost all credibility comparing a civic to a 911, thats like comparing a boeing to the concorde, ohh sorry your gonna have to google that Im sure.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Galchenyuk94

Well I went ahead and bought the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Got it inspected and everything checks out 3,000$. A little expensive I know.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Well I went ahead and bought the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Got it inspected and everything checks out 3,000$. A little expensive I know.
careful with those make sure to do the oil change every 5000 without skipping a beat those engines are known to burn a lot of oil if not maintained properly, apart from that great little car.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
careful with those make sure to do the oil change every 5000 without skipping a beat those engines are known to burn a lot of oil if not maintained properly, apart from that great little car.
Thx will do!

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
race car guy lol- bet you consider a hopped up civic a race car.... show me where I said my car eats anything for diner, u lost all credibility comparing a civic to a 911, thats like comparing a boeing to the concorde, ohh sorry your gonna have to google that Im sure.
Well, I'm done arguing with you. You seem to know what you're saying.. But your just another of the HF boards Nay sayer.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
DAChampion

Who uses higher octane numbers for their cars?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I do, because my car requires it. If you have the money, do it. If you don't, don't.

Depends on the car...

Old
10-22-2012, 11:54 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
cant compare our fuel to yours man, your regular octane is probably equivalent to our premium fuel if not better. North America as the worst gas in the world sulpher amongst other chemicals rob our engine from performance. Premium octane in Australia is probably close to 100 octane, compared to our fake 91 and even worst ethanol base 94 octane.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I don't unless the owners manual tells me to.

Higher Octane fuel is suitable to high compression engines that may be otherwise susceptable to pre-detonation(engine ping) problems if used with lower octane fuels.
Cars with those engines will have specifications that require the owner to use higher octane ratings.

For all other engines ( 99 percent of engines in fact ) using high octane fuel is simply throwing your money away. In fact most common top "common money wasting" lists will cite using high octane fuel as simply an exercise of burning your money.

Higher octane fuels do not have higher energy (BTU) levels and so have no performance enhancing properties save the above mentioned high compression engines. I believe some manufacturers require it's use simply to make the owner feel like he's got an "exclusive" automobile (my friend has a 200hp Acura TSX lol@ premium gas requirement).

The only exception to this rule is when your engine is older with timing problems and develops engine "ping". In this situation the engine cylinders are detonating slightly prior to the piston reaching top-dead-centre which causes an engine "ping" noise. The properties of higher octane gas stabilize the combustion and will sometimes eliminate the ping.

Bottom line, for your corolla, it's a waste of cash.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:11 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
cant compare our fuel to yours man, your regular octane is probably equivalent to our premium fuel if not better. North America as the worst gas in the world sulpher amongst other chemicals rob our engine from performance. Premium octane in Australia is probably close to 100 octane, compared to our fake 91 and even worst ethanol base 94 octane.
At the gas station I've been going it's 91 and 98 (I'm new to the continent, only been to one gas station).

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:13 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
At the gas station I've been going it's 91 and 98.
thats what I figured, its sickening how bad our gas is, then again we dont pay $3-4 a litre either so pick your poison I guess.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Australia has higher sulpherization than Canada. Octane does not equate to gas quality or performance.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:19 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
I don't unless the owners manual tells me to.

Higher Octane fuel is suitable to high compression engines that may be otherwise susceptable to pre-detonation(engine ping) problems if used with lower octane fuels.
Cars with those engines will have specifications that require the owner to use higher octane ratings.

For all other engines ( 99 percent of engines in fact ) using high octane fuel is simply throwing your money away. In fact most common top "common money wasting" lists will cite using high octane fuel as simply an exercise of burning your money.

Higher octane fuels do not have higher energy (BTU) levels and so have no performance enhancing properties save the above mentioned high compression engines. I believe some manufacturers require it's use simply to make the owner feel like he's got an "exclusive" automobile (my friend has a 200hp Acura TSX lol@ premium gas requirement).

The only exception to this rule is when your engine is older with timing problems and develops engine "ping". In this situation the engine cylinders are detonating slightly prior to the piston reaching top-dead-centre which causes an engine "ping" noise. The properties of higher octane gas stabilize the combustion and will sometimes eliminate the ping.

Bottom line, for your corolla, it's a waste of cash.
everything you say is true, with knock sensors and most engines and ecu ability to adjust timing on the fly you could easily run reg octane in most engines that call for premium octane, performance and fuel consumption would both be affected slightly.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
everything you say is true, with knock sensors and most engines and ecu ability to adjust timing on the fly you could easily run reg octane in most engines that call for premium octane, performance and fuel consumption would both be affected slightly.
My personal thinking is, if you want to be nice to your car, pump in ethanol free gas. It provides a slight BTU boost over 10 percent or 15 percent ethanol blends. Problem is Ethanol free gas is tough to find in 87 Octane (i.e. inexpensive) fuels here in Ontario . Some of the retailers like Shell offer it at their 94 Octane grades but I won't put that in my cars unless the manual tells me to.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:27 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Australia has higher sulpherization than Canada. Octane does not equate to gas quality or performance.
sorry you may be right Im going by training done a few years ago that showed Canada/US were one of the worst countries for sulphur in fuel, and I always thought better octane meant better resistance to detonation which meant an engine that as the ability to advance its timing would benefit, and most engine now have that ability. I could be wrong and if I am please explain.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
sorry you may be right Im going by training done a few years ago that showed Canada/US were one of the worst countries for sulphur in fuel, and I always thought better octane meant better resistance to detonation which meant an engine that as the ability to advance its timing would benefit, and most engine now have that ability. I could be wrong and if I am please explain.
This is the most recent publication I could find on the subject. Canada ranked 45th in the world in sulpher content, Australia just behind at 49. Europe in the lead of course.

May have changed since then so I am open to being wrong on this, but I don't think it's a night-and-day comparison in terms of fuel quality. I would however just like to try a 98 Octane in my Lexus for a tank for fun.

http://www.acfa.org.sg/pdf/ACFANewsVol7No5.pdf

Old
10-23-2012, 12:36 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
My personal thinking is, if you want to be nice to your car, pump in ethanol free gas. It provides a slight BTU boost over 10 percent or 15 percent ethanol blends. Problem is Ethanol free gas is tough to find in 87 Octane (i.e. inexpensive) fuels here in Ontario . Some of the retailers like Shell offer it at their 94 Octane grades but I won't put that in my cars unless the manual tells me to.
I remember when I worked for bmw they reviewed a claim where we replaced four 02 sensors and both cats, engine light was on, poor fuel mileage was the only complaint, had 3 codes 2 pre cat 02 codes and 1 post cat 02 code, when the tech removed the exhaust system the 02's were caked with this white crystalized substance and same inside the cats. The owner later admitted to using ethanol only, bmw then released an internal bulletin advising dealers to 'recommend' to customers not to use ethanol.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I remember when I worked for bmw they reviewed a claim where we replaced four 02 sensors and both cats, engine light was on, poor fuel mileage was the only complaint, had 3 codes 2 pre cat 02 codes and 1 post cat 02 code, when the tech removed the exhaust system the 02's were caked with this white crystalized substance and same inside the cats. The owner later admitted to using ethanol only, bmw then released an internal bulletin advising dealers to 'recommend' to customers not to use ethanol.
Wow. did you pay out the claim?

Old
10-23-2012, 12:44 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Wow. did you pay out the claim?
yep nowhere in the owners manual does it say they cant.