HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Sami Vatanen

Old
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Style wise he reminds me more of Karlsson out there, his offensive ability definitely stands out, he is able to make things happen with his willingness to rush the puck and he makes good decisions in the offensive zone.

Regarding Vatanen vs Fowler, Fowler is the more effortless skater of the two and is a more well rounded skater but Vatanen is probably almost as fast and his speed is more noticable due to his skating style. Fowler has an obvious edge in size and defensive ability (although I'd need to see a lot more of Vatanen, especially against better competition to fully judge his defensive game). As far as other attributes go, from what I've seen of both guys (obviously I've seen a lot more of Fowler than Vatanen), Fowler has a higher hockey IQ and better vision but Vatanen possesses a much better shot and seems more willing to make plays offensively than Fowler.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
AngelDuck

I can't really answer your questions because I haven't seen Vatanen play very much at all. But all I know is that Vatanen and Fowler is going to be one hell of a PP combo one day. Fowler playing rover like Nieds and Vatanen blasting away from the point/making passes from the point.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I can't really answer your questions because I haven't seen Vatanen play very much at all. But all I know is that Vatanen and Fowler is going to be one hell of a PP combo one day. Fowler playing rover like Nieds and Vatanen blasting away from the point/making passes from the point.
Fowler=Niedermayer lite
Vatanen=Visnovsky 2.0

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Fowler=Niedermayer lite
Vatanen=Visnovsky 2.0

I get giddy every once in a while thinking about this.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
From the little I've seen, I think Vatanen can skate the puck up the ice better than Lubo. But I'd imagine that's easier to do in the AHL.

Still, I think he'll carry the puck a bit more than Lubo, but it's not a bad comparison.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Style wise he reminds me more of Karlsson out there, his offensive ability definitely stands out, he is able to make things happen with his willingness to rush the puck and he makes good decisions in the offensive zone.

Regarding Vatanen vs Fowler, Fowler is the more effortless skater of the two and is a more well rounded skater but Vatanen is probably almost as fast and his speed is more noticable due to his skating style. Fowler has an obvious edge in size and defensive ability (although I'd need to see a lot more of Vatanen, especially against better competition to fully judge his defensive game). As far as other attributes go, from what I've seen of both guys (obviously I've seen a lot more of Fowler than Vatanen), Fowler has a higher hockey IQ and better vision but Vatanen possesses a much better shot and seems more willing to make plays offensively than Fowler.
I see it very much the same. Vatanen has a more obviously dynamic game that you can't miss, while Fowler has a more effortless flow where difficult plays can look easy.

Edit: That skating comparison seems dead on too. It's the well-roundedness in his skating that seems to let Fowler basically do whatever he wants on his skates. Vatanen is a bit more limited, but clearly a terrific skater in his own right.

Last edited by Sojourn: 10-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
We had better hope that Boudreau recognizes that ability in Fowler then, because last season he seemed to want Fowler to stay on the blue line. Vatanen is the more stereotypical point man of the two with the great shot, while Fowler's skating and smarts lets him do things that most players just can't do(even Vatanen). It would be a detriment to the team to limit Fowler the way he was last season.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It would make it easier to swallow, but that doesn't change the fact there would be a bad year. You're arguing the degree of the mistake it might turn out to be. At what point do you consider a mistake to be bad? What does it need to cost Anaheim to be a black mark?
3 out of 4 years Getzlaf has been great, but he had 1 bad year, does this make it a bad contract?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
IDuck

thanks for the insight all...kind of echoed what i have heard/read/seen about him having that raw O ability...and i also hope to see vatanen/fowler PP combo (as long as its not a liability),and the future D has potential to be UNREAL with lindholm being the wildcard in all this. fowler/sbisa vatanen/lindholm if potential is reached could run a muck on this league..looking forward to being able to watch/pay attention to the ADS more and it seems as if vatanen hit the ground running over here...DAMN I LOVE FINN'S

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
3 out of 4 years Getzlaf has been great, but he had 1 bad year, does this make it a bad contract?
That is an absolutely terrible example.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
We had better hope that Boudreau recognizes that ability in Fowler then, because last season he seemed to want Fowler to stay on the blue line. Vatanen is the more stereotypical point man of the two with the great shot, while Fowler's skating and smarts lets him do things that most players just can't do(even Vatanen). It would be a detriment to the team to limit Fowler the way he was last season.
Agreed. 100%

Old
10-22-2012, 11:10 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
That is an absolutely terrible example.
All contracts more than a couple years carry risk, alot of people thought Anaheim overpaid at the time for Getzlaf and Perry to.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
All contracts more than a couple years carry risk, alot of people thought Anaheim overpaid at the time for Getzlaf and Perry to.
...what? Maybe some people said Perry was slightly overpaid, but Getzlaf? I didn't see a single person question Getzlaf's contract. Not to mention both of them were just coming off of their ELC's, and allowances are made for paying more for young players who are developing. Again, this is a terrible comparison. Getzlaf and Perry gave us no reason to doubt their ability to play out the entirety of their contracts, and they were young players still developing into the players they were going to become. Souray is 36 years old, old by NHL standards, and he's had fewer healthy seasons than he's had injury-ridden ones.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:29 PM
AngelDuck

It's no knock on Souray at all...You just do not give 35+ year old injury prone, non-number 1 defenseman 3 year deals - ever. We will be irritated about that contract in 2 years I guarentee it. Hopefully he's at least tradeable at some point during the contract.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
...what? Maybe some people said Perry was slightly overpaid, but Getzlaf? I didn't see a single person question Getzlaf's contract. Not to mention both of them were just coming off of their ELC's, and allowances are made for paying more for young players who are developing. Again, this is a terrible comparison. Getzlaf and Perry gave us no reason to doubt their ability to play out the entirety of their contracts, and they were young players still developing into the players they were going to become. Souray is 36 years old, old by NHL standards, and he's had fewer healthy seasons than he's had injury-ridden ones.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=444735
people here questioning Getzlafs contract

Old
10-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
It's no knock on Souray at all...You just do not give 35+ year old injury prone, non-number 1 defenseman 3 year deals - ever. We will be irritated about that contract in 2 years I guarentee it. Hopefully he's at least tradeable at some point during the contract.
We can only hope it takes two years to get to that point.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:29 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
We can only hope it takes two years to get to that point.
Exactly.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Finnpin

I'd say stylewise Vatanen is closer to Karlsson than Fowler though you don't see Sami doing some crazy wow magic moves/shots in the offense like Karlsson but still Sami makes smart decisions there + plus the slapper has unbeliavable dynamite in it when you consider the frame Sami has.

Fowler is smoother skater than Sami but if we are just checking pure speed and who is faster... I would put "all in" to Vatanen's side. He is a freaking "Speedy Gonzales". I guess he haven't still showed all his gears in AHL.

Last edited by Finnpin: 10-23-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I'd say stylewise Vatanen is closer to Karlsson than Fowler though you don't see Sami doing some crazy wow magic moves/shots in the offense like Karlsson but still Sami makes smart decisions there + plus the slapper has unbeliavable dynamite in it when you consider the frame Sami has.

Fowler is smoother skater than Sami but if we are just checking pure speed and who is faster... I would put "all in" to Vatanen's side. He is a freaking "Speedy Gonzales". I guess he haven't still showed all his gears in AHL.

Like this?

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:43 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Fowler is ridiculously smooth in his pivots and turns. Skating forwards and backwards. Haven't seen Vatanen, but I assume he's not as good at that (along with like 90% of the league).

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:05 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Can't forget about Welinski too, who HF said has the hardest shot out of all our defense prospects. Fowler-Vatanen, Lindholm-Welinski will look nice in a few years.

SupermanPahlsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Like this?
I mean more like shooting from positions and zones where you don't expect a shot. When Karlsson has the puck goalies got to be careful. But yeah Sami can do some nice stuff too.

Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Vatanen is the more explosive skater, imo. I think he goes from 0 to top speed quicker than Fowler, but Fowler is the better overall skater (turns, pivots, backwards).

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I remember at the draft, there were two videos of Fowler and Hall. It was advertising for some kind of preparation system. Like a workout system or something to polish skating/technique/etc. Or maybe a video system to help analyze stride?

Anyways basically it had them doing skating drills. Now you could tell Hall was explosive and fast. But I was most impressed by Fowler's pivots and transitions.

I'll try to find the videos.

edit: here is HF thread with reaction to videos. Video embedding doesn't seem to work in that thread.

here is Fowler's video

Hall's video seems to have been deleted since then.

And what is up with Schultz getting player of week (3 + 1 = 4 points, +6) vs Vatanen (1 + 4 = 5 points, +4). I guess it's goals and +/-?

Last edited by snarktacular: 10-23-2012 at 09:53 AM.
snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=444735
people here questioning Getzlafs contract
Good read.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote