HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2nd most impactful Sens player (modern era)

View Poll Results: 2nd most impactful???
Spezza 53 54.64%
Fisher 0 0%
Phillips 4 4.12%
Neal 3 3.09%
Hossa 2 2.06%
Havlat 0 0%
Lalime 1 1.03%
Redden 2 2.06%
Chara 4 4.12%
Lalime 0 0%
Karlsson 8 8.25%
Kelly 1 1.03%
Volchenkov 0 0%
Bonk 1 1.03%
Vermette 0 0%
Michalek 0 0%
Emery 0 0%
Daigle 0 0%
Yashin 13 13.40%
Heatley 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-22-2012, 06:50 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
The person that had the biggest impact on the franchise was Pierre Gauthier, in my opinion.

He turned the team from a laughing stock, to respectable, and fairly quickly.

He signed Yashin to a hold out ending deal, brought in Jacques who gave the team a system that they could have success in.

The team was a gong show before Pierre showed up. Most of you probably don't remember it, but I was already in my 20's when Ottawa first got a team.

There were some real shenanigans going on with Bowness, Sexton, the Dave Allison experiment, the whole Daigle mess, etc, etc, etc...

Someone should make a 30 in 30 episode about the birth of the Ottawa Senators. A few real estate guys with no money were awarded an NHL franchise...

The story is a pretty fascinating, and a sort of tragic comedy on top of that.

For player, it's definitely Yashin, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Not only was he our best player for many years, his trade also got us Spezza and Chara.

Alfredsson is great and all, but he's not #1 in this race.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Phillips probably had the best playoff performances of any of our defencemen, which is kind of funny. The big run in 2007, some big goals (NJ Game 6 in 2003).

Redden had his one good series against the Lightning in 2006. He was always better against the non-physical teams.

Chara's big series was when he went head to head with Roberts in a losing cause.

I can still remember when we used to talk about "Playoff Phillips" and "Regular Season Phillips", and then one day, he started playing with his playoff intensity in the regular season.

In any event, we've had decent defencemen but I don't think they've been as impactful as a number of forwards. (Karlsson likely as an exception)

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Hossa, we filipped him for Heater which let us become an absolutely elite team with a finals berth for a 3-4 year period.
That was our first mistake! Hossa's now has his name on the CUP, while we still have Heatleys taste still in our mouths!!!!!!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Well first off, the regular season is great and all but, I wouldnt call losing to the Leafs in 4 seperate playoffs our "Glory Years"...

Of course everyone is to blame on our poor playoff record,
What are you talking about?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:27 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
That was our first mistake! Hossa's now has his name on the CUP, while we still have Heatleys taste still in our mouths!!!!!!
If Heatley kept switching teams at the rate of Hossa, maybe he'd have his name up there by now too.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
What are you talking about?
It was posted that Redden was our #1 D during our "Glory Years". I myself dont remember the "Glory Years". So I assumed they were refering to the regular season success that the Sens had, which means dick when you get ousted by the Leafs in the first round.

Of course Im not saying this is Reddens fault, but if he was such an impact player for the Sens, maybe I'd remember some kinda amazing play or goal or anything.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:59 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
It was posted that Redden was our #1 D during our "Glory Years". I myself dont remember the "Glory Years". So I assumed they were refering to the regular season success that the Sens had, which means dick when you get ousted by the Leafs in the first round.

Of course Im not saying this is Reddens fault, but if he was such an impact player for the Sens, maybe I'd remember some kinda amazing play or goal or anything.
Your hatred of the Leafs didn't make them a bad team. They finished higher than we did 3/4 years, because they spent 50% more than we did and had better goaltending.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote