HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

S Kostitsyn calls Columbus "gloomiest city"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 03:04 AM
  #26
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
As a poster on another site pointed out (http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...comment-107707). This was a TERRIBLE spin job by Reuters.

- Kostitsyn “hated” (Reuters’ word) – indeed, he didn’t say this. I feel it’s Reuters own conclusion.
- called Columbus “the gloomiest” – it was a joke answer on a joke question “Is there anything gloomier then Detroit in the United States?” (“Yeah, Columbus”). His current Omsk city is way gloomier then any NHL location. Previous question about the North American city he could live forever he answered “I would choose to live in New York. I don’t like crowds, but it’s a special city.” So no hate at all.
- “I couldn’t get used to (American) mentality. They are totally different people from us,” – almost true. The question was “What didn’t you STILL get used to”. I bet not many Americans could get used to European mentality in 6 years.
“Let’s put it this way – it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues,” – again, close but not true. He meant players don’t want to question themselves “here or there?” and want to know precisely where they will play this season. Understandable.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:59 AM
  #27
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
As a poster on another site pointed out (http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...comment-107707). This was a TERRIBLE spin job by Reuters.

- Kostitsyn “hated” (Reuters’ word) – indeed, he didn’t say this. I feel it’s Reuters own conclusion.
- called Columbus “the gloomiest” – it was a joke answer on a joke question “Is there anything gloomier then Detroit in the United States?” (“Yeah, Columbus”). His current Omsk city is way gloomier then any NHL location. Previous question about the North American city he could live forever he answered “I would choose to live in New York. I don’t like crowds, but it’s a special city.” So no hate at all.
- “I couldn’t get used to (American) mentality. They are totally different people from us,” – almost true. The question was “What didn’t you STILL get used to”. I bet not many Americans could get used to European mentality in 6 years.
“Let’s put it this way – it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues,” – again, close but not true. He meant players don’t want to question themselves “here or there?” and want to know precisely where they will play this season. Understandable.
I really don't care what he said and what the questions were. Having said that, it's still mindless answers that I learned in 5th grade not to give. If someone in the media is laughing about a gloomy city, you tell them why it isn't gloomy and you certainly don't pile on and add another city into the mix.

Luckily these guys aren't paid for their brains.

I have no issue making corrections in translation, not sure why you are bothering to do what appears to be providing cover for his answers.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
  #28
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Kostitsyn is not Russian and has never played there till this year...
I'm wondering what would he say about his hometown Novopolotsk. That's an industrial city with chemical and oil factories and nothing else.
I didn't say it because I thought he was Russian, I said it because he seems to prefer to stay in the KHL all season. I'm sure there's probably a "gloomy Columbus" in the KHL somewhere too.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  #29
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I didn't say it because I thought he was Russian, I said it because he seems to prefer to stay in the KHL all season. I'm sure there's probably a "gloomy Columbus" in the KHL somewhere too.
I'm pretty sure "gloomy Columbus" would be a #1 tourist hotspot in Russia.

Anything to get away from the oppression and bears.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 AM
  #30
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Columbus isnt close to the gloomiest city in the NHL.

Say what you want about the franchise, Columbus as a city doesnt deserve that label.
Read it and gloom.... #57 on cloudy-est cities.
Only Buffalo and Pittsburgh rank worse among NHL cities.
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c477.html
Top two states are Washington and New York.
Ohio comes in a strong third.
At least y'all are ahead of Parma.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
  #31
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,289
vCash: 500
I apologize. Seriously. Don't know what SK was thinking here.

Maybe I'm a minority, but I really hope Columbus turns it around. The fans deserve better, and I miss a good, even rivalry between us. Best of luck, and just ignore this guy. Preds fans have learned to....

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  #32
cbjgirl
Just thinking
 
cbjgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Read it and gloom.... #57 on cloudy-est cities.
Only Buffalo and Pittsburgh rank worse among NHL cities.
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c477.html
Top two states are Washington and New York.
Ohio comes in a strong third.
At least y'all are ahead of Parma.
I was wondering if he had only visited during November.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
  #33
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
At least y'all are ahead of Parma.


Truth.

We had a game start late last season at the rink in Parma, because half the team couldn't get to the rink along with the refs, because some fine upstanding citizen of Parma decided the Cracker Barrel's parking lot was a fine place to show his wife, his kids, and then himself the barrel of his gun.

I've never dodged bullets on the way to a Chiller...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
  #34
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I apologize. Seriously. Don't know what SK was thinking here.

Maybe I'm a minority, but I really hope Columbus turns it around. The fans deserve better, and I miss a good, even rivalry between us. Best of luck, and just ignore this guy. Preds fans have learned to....
And when exactly have we had an even rivalry?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:12 PM
  #35
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I really don't care what he said and what the questions were. Having said that, it's still mindless answers that I learned in 5th grade not to give. If someone in the media is laughing about a gloomy city, you tell them why it isn't gloomy and you certainly don't pile on and add another city into the mix.

Luckily these guys aren't paid for their brains.

I have no issue making corrections in translation, not sure why you are bothering to do what appears to be providing cover for his answers.
Not providing cover, just stating all the facts. If U don't like it, then U don't have to read it.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #36
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,548
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I think this makes it even more imperative that we eventually sign Andrei.

EDIT: Alternatively, maybe he just thinks it gloomy up here because of Tyutin.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 10-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:10 PM
  #37
BlueJacket2
Registered User
 
BlueJacket2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think this makes it even more imperative that we eventually sign Andrei.
My thought.

BlueJacket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
  #38
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
And when exactly have we had an even rivalry?
September 2000

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
  #39
squarelaces
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Any chance we can get Svitov to open up a can of whoop-ass on this punk?

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:55 PM
  #40
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Not providing cover, just stating all the facts. If U don't like it, then U don't have to read it.
In some circles providing excuses is providing cover. What am I supposed to do, though, have foresight into the content of your posts so that I know which ones to read or not? Perhaps I am supposed to go back in time and prevent myself from reading your post? There was nothing there that justified putting you on ignore, so the comment didn't make a whole lot of sense.

It's not an issue of liking it or not liking it, it's providing feedback. As I said, I have no idea why you bothered. He decided to bring Columbus into the conversation. He didn't have to. It was a decision on his part to insult the city. There is no fact that you brought to light that changes that fact, therefore you were providing an excuse or providing cover. You were trying to provide context in which his comments would be viewed as something than what they were.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:08 PM
  #41
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
As part of the team who brought Sherman and Grant to the last Atlanta Thrashers game at Nationwide, I think there is only one reaction, which is creative banner generation. AFter all the history of socialist-realist art offers a fertile way to abuse Kostitsyn. And therefore we should turn out minds to creative abuse.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:13 PM
  #42
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
As part of the team who brought Sherman and Grant to the last Atlanta Thrashers game at Nationwide, I think there is only one reaction, which is creative banner generation. AFter all the history of socialist-realist art offers a fertile way to abuse Kostitsyn. And therefore we should turn out minds to creative abuse.
Don't worry, he's second on my list.

Bruce Garrioch is first.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
  #43
solomonsacct
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
I can't say I disagree with him or even find it a controversial POV.

The only cities lamer than Cbus from a young rich guy POV all host stable franchises with a rich history. The Jacket have never won a playoff game.

Most players and coaches in recent history have done everything they can to avoid coming here.

solomonsacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:31 AM
  #44
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,548
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
Most players and coaches in recent history have done everything they can to avoid coming here.
Recent history? Okay, so I'll cite James Wisniewski, Vinny Prospal, Ken Hitchcock (at first), and (apparently) John Davidson, with a bonus from Jack Johnson, and you can counter with Jeff Carter, Guy Boucher, and an overwhelming righteous sense that this inferiority complex is wholly justified. Deal?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:15 AM
  #45
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
I can't say I disagree with him or even find it a controversial POV.

The only cities lamer than Cbus from a young rich guy POV all host stable franchises with a rich history. The Jacket have never won a playoff game.

Most players and coaches in recent history have done everything they can to avoid coming here.
This is so much bulls**t that I don't even know where to begin, so I will just do what should be done with a post like this, IGNORE IT!

It may be that Kostitsyn was indeed having a little fun with the question. In fact, as a hockey team, this has been a dismal team to play for.

But no player, that has ever called the City of Columbus, and surrounding area home has ever spoken a bad word about it. Many that have left the team still call the city home.

If Kostitsyn loves Mother Russia so much, and thinks the U.S. sucks so badly, then he can stay in the KHL for all I care. No loss in my book.

And as to you Nashville fans. No one here does not like the city of Nashville. It is a great city, with great people, good music, and plenty to do. Always have a good time when I travel there. We can be rivals with the Preds, and still love the city, so no, Kostitsyn does not give us another reason to hate "Nashville". It gives us another reason to want to kick the S*** out of the Preds.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:17 PM
  #46
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
I can't say I disagree with him or even find it a controversial POV.

The only cities lamer than Cbus from a young rich guy POV all host stable franchises with a rich history. The Jacket have never won a playoff game.

Most players and coaches in recent history have done everything they can to avoid coming here.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:58 PM
  #47
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Recent history? Okay, so I'll cite James Wisniewski, Vinny Prospal, Ken Hitchcock (at first), and (apparently) John Davidson, with a bonus from Jack Johnson, and you can counter with Jeff Carter, Guy Boucher, and an overwhelming righteous sense that this inferiority complex is wholly justified. Deal?
Well stated.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
  #48
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
At least y'all are ahead of Parma.
I was born in Parma, we moved away at 6 months. Grew up in California. When I moved to Columbus 6 years ago, I drove up to Parma just to look at my place of birth.

I called my mother and thanked her for moving. Holy cow what a dreary city.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
  #49
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,578
vCash: 500
Cry me a frickin river...

The hockey players in Columbus have homes in Miurfield Village, New Albany or Upper Arlington, and they play golf at Miurfield, Scioto & McConnell's Double Eagle. They have one of the most modern hockey facilities in the world, a clean city with a reasonable economic base and relatively low cost of living. They fly to games in a company owned jet.

They get paid more than market value to come here in free agency and they get larger vacation plans than most other teams offer. They get to live in relative obscurity where people are genuinely nice, and for the most part don't know or care who they are.

I think that poll needs to be reevaluated based on the criteria that really matters. I am waiting for Jack Johnson, RJ or Dubinsky to start pounding the piss out players that act like they are entitled to this way of life.

Start skating passing and hitting & if our goalie can't stop the biscuit, go swat him in the frickin head.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
  #50
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,509
vCash: 500
SK's comments are only deserving of two words in response. Since the boards will censor out the obvious reply, those two words will have to be BITE ME!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.