HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
  #151
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
I would imagine that the CBA is going to work out in a way that it punishes teams with those long contracts. I want no part of Luongo.

McRib is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 06:56 PM
  #152
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
If the team doesn't give up much and if the new CBA punishes the team that signs the contract rather than the team that later acquires the player, I'd be down with having Luongo on the Oilers - Luongo on the Oilers makes them a playoff team (he'll choke there of course, but baby steps...)

Then again, if the Canucks are on the hook for his salary/cap hit whether he gets traded or not, his value goes up considerably.

Baggers is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 07:00 PM
  #153
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
If the team doesn't give up much and if the new CBA punishes the team that signs the contract rather than the team that later acquires the player, I'd be down with having Luongo on the Oilers - Luongo on the Oilers makes them a playoff team (he'll choke there of course, but baby steps...)

Then again, if the Canucks are on the hook for his salary/cap hit whether he gets traded or not, his value goes up considerably.
At this point it looks like the clause might mean that the original signing team is on the hook fro the cap hit only if the player retires prior to the deal expiring. In Luongo's case that could mean you still have him on the books for at least 7 years.

Fourier is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
  #154
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,401
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Luongo on 2 conditions: if he retires early, the CBA punishes the Canucks for offer such albatross contract and if what we give up is Horcoff and a bit more

frag2 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
  #155
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
At this point it looks like the clause might mean that the original signing team is on the hook fro the cap hit only if the player retires prior to the deal expiring. In Luongo's case that could mean you still have him on the books for at least 7 years.
If the price is right and the Oilers aren't on the hook for his cap hit after he retires, that's not the worst thing. Most upper-level goalies play well into their late 30s (Roy, Belfour, Hasek,...)

Baggers is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:39 AM
  #156
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
horcoff, khabibulin, plante and omark for luongo..... amirite?

ales83fan is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 12:44 AM
  #157
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
All the people who voted yes in the poll, the Vancouver board is that way -------->

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:41 AM
  #158
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Good goalie, but that contract is a crippler. Let Burke bite that bullet and laugh at us for the first 2-3 years, we'll have the last laugh.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 04:18 AM
  #159
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,326
vCash: 500
I believe the provisions proposed by the NHL would punish the team that signed the player to the front loaded deal, meaning the Oilers probably would only be on the hook for the 5 years or whatever of Luongo.

I'd like to have him and dump Dubnyk as it's basically a $1.5 million difference and he gives us a much, much better chance at a playoff berth immediately and the chance to go deep in a year or two.

Duby's a good guy who's improving but I'm not sure if he's the guy to do that.

Plus Luongo was an Oiler fan growing up and idolized Fuhr so that's a bonus in my book.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
  #160
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,347
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I believe the provisions proposed by the NHL would punish the team that signed the player to the front loaded deal, meaning the Oilers probably would only be on the hook for the 5 years or whatever of Luongo.

I'd like to have him and dump Dubnyk as it's basically a $1.5 million difference and he gives us a much, much better chance at a playoff berth immediately and the chance to go deep in a year or two.

Duby's a good guy who's improving but I'm not sure if he's the guy to do that.

Plus Luongo was an Oiler fan growing up and idolized Fuhr so that's a bonus in my book.
I can't see the NHL not grandfathering in the previous deals though.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 10:03 AM
  #161
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I can't see the NHL not grandfathering in the previous deals though.
I would be shocked if there is a grandfathering clause. I think the Board of Governors are looking to send a message to General Managers about cap circumvention. This lockout could have been avoided if GMs didn't dedicate themselves to gaming the last CBA.

Individual owners approve all types of nonsense in an effort to win but when they get together as a board they don't mess around. Such is human nature (insert game theory arguments here).

worraps is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:09 PM
  #162
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Looks like Omark and Zetterberg are 'clicking' on their respectable team.

Omark to Detroit E4


http://eurohockey.com/stats/league/2...ype=1&league=1

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
  #163
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 500
Would be nice if we could move Omark. I always wondered what he could produce playing in our top 6 with a legit chance though.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
  #164
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Looks like Omark and Zetterberg are 'clicking' on their respectable team.

Omark to Detroit E4


http://eurohockey.com/stats/league/2...ype=1&league=1
Zetterberg 2GP - 5G - 2A - 7pts ..
Clicking in a league like this wont mean much in NHL.

Only hope for Linus is if Zetterberg puts in strong words for him and the Oilers give him up for a 4th rounder.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
  #165
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...

BowDangles is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  #166
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
No way in hell would i want Lou and his albatross contract coming to Edmonton. He would cost too much going the other way, and i don't trust his track record in post season play. He crumbles under pressure, plain and simple.

On top of all that, there's no way in hell that Van would take Khabi in a return package. No one would take Khabi in a return package IMO.

Booya42 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
  #167
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
Dubnyk and Paajarvi would be my offer. That 3.5M that Dubnyk signed for is horrendous and I don't see him taking a pay cut in 2 years. My guess is Vancover asks for Khabibulin though because he's off the books at the end of the year. I'd try to see if they'd take Horcoff but I think thats a pipe dream.

raab is online now  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:31 AM
  #168
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
There are other goalies out there. If Paajarvi can start producing, Tambellini may be able to call his favorite trading partner in Lombardi and swap Bernier for Paajarvi. (There may be other pieces involved)

I would be on board with a Bernier/Dubnyk tandem. Both are young enough to grow with the team.

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
  #169
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
I dont question Lou making us a better team, but we cant afford to spend that much $ on a goaltender.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:39 AM
  #170
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,347
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
The majority of the sane people in Edmonton would take Luongo tomorrow, that is if he didn't have such a horrible deal.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
  #171
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The majority of the sane people in Edmonton would take Luongo tomorrow, that is if he didn't have such a horrible deal.
And Bingo was his name - O!

Booya42 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:45 AM
  #172
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Zetterberg 2GP - 5G - 2A - 7pts ..
Clicking in a league like this wont mean much in NHL.

Only hope for Linus is if Zetterberg puts in strong words for him and the Oilers give him up for a 4th rounder.
I actually agree. But you also have Logan Couture with 10 pts in 10g, Tyler Sequin with 10 points in 9 games and John Tavares with 9 pts in 7g. So not everyone is ripping this league apart.

Fourier is online now  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:45 AM
  #173
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The majority of the sane people in Edmonton would take Luongo tomorrow, that is if he didn't have such a horrible deal.
If Gillis called and wanted Paajarvi and a 2nd for Luongo. You make that deal.

Pajaarvi is slowly falling out of the future top six here.

In no particular order, here are my top 6 for the next 3-4 years.

1.Hall
2.Eberle
3.RNH
4.Yakupov
5.Hemsky (will be resigned at a cheaper deal, I have a conspiracy here)
6.Gagner

I think Hemsky is resigned at a lower deal than now. I firmly believe the Oilers gave him a short 2 year deal with big money because at the current time we have the cap space. They probably explained to him in order to remain competitive in the future we will need to resign the kids. We pay you big bucks now and then resign you to a longer term deal at a smaller dollar amount.

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 AM
  #174
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
There are other goalies out there. If Paajarvi can start producing, Tambellini may be able to call his favorite trading partner in Lombardi and swap Bernier for Paajarvi. (There may be other pieces involved)

I would be on board with a Bernier/Dubnyk tandem. Both are young enough to grow with the team.
Bernier sucks, he'll be no better then Dubnyk and I question if he can get to that level. If Tambellini made that trade he should be fired on the spot.

raab is online now  
Old
10-23-2012, 12:08 PM
  #175
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,308
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
If Gillis called and wanted Paajarvi and a 2nd for Luongo. You make that deal.

Pajaarvi is slowly falling out of the future top six here.

In no particular order, here are my top 6 for the next 3-4 years.

1.Hall
2.Eberle
3.RNH
4.Yakupov
5.Hemsky (will be resigned at a cheaper deal, I have a conspiracy here)
6.Gagner

I think Hemsky is resigned at a lower deal than now. I firmly believe the Oilers gave him a short 2 year deal with big money because at the current time we have the cap space. They probably explained to him in order to remain competitive in the future we will need to resign the kids. We pay you big bucks now and then resign you to a longer term deal at a smaller dollar amount.


Long term,when the Oilers are ready to compete,they need to rid themselves of Gagner and Hemsky.


Build your top 6 of

Nail Yakupov
Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2 bigger players that can lay that big hit and defend our top players.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.