HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Pulock - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
10-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Pretty impressive no doubt.

Cant wait to see him.

When do they play Edmonton?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:49 PM
sbtatter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Pretty impressive no doubt.

Cant wait to see him.

When do they play Edmonton?
Not up in Edm until NYE!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:51 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Not up in Edm until NYE!
Saw a fair bit of him and the Wheaties last year, but it sounds like he has stepped it up a notch this year.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
How does Pulock compare to the all the D's from the WHL picked in the top 10 in 2012? Could he actually be the best one?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
How does Pulock compare to the all the D's from the WHL picked in the top 10 in 2012? Could he actually be the best one?
Quite possibly, yes. But I would have Murray ahead of him by a very small margin.

If I were to compare him to a d-man from 2012 draft, then it would be Rielly. They both have a lot of similarities except that Pulock is bigger and more of shooter whereelse Rielly is more dynamic and better passer.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:11 AM
puckfan13

Looked great in the last game I saw him live last years playoffs, he had a end-to-end rush and he hit a top shelf short side goal on Brossoit to tie the game (I think?) with like 2 seconds left in the second period. Skills are very apparent. Really like this type of d-man, like I would take him very, very early - like top 5. I know people like Lazar and Shinkaruk, I'm in Edmonton so I know about Lazar, but Pulock might be the class of the Dub.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Mr Writer

As of right now I got Pulock on Canada's WJ team replacing Reinhart < not impressed with his start to the season at all...

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:55 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Im always hesitant to get excited about dominant players who will be among the oldest of their draft class. These players are the ones that have a full year of development more then some of the other players being drafted. Not to downplay his accomplishments because hes been phenominal thus far, but this guy will probably have a better pre-draft year than Morgan Rielly, for a lack of a better example (or atleast of any i can think of), and thus be rated as such yet both are currently in their 3rd season and producing at identical rates (because Rielly was among the youngest of his draft and is only 7 months older). I fully expect Pulock to make the top 10, but there are some players that should be ahead. Points and dominance should be less of a factor when considering he has more CHL experience than most of the draft.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
As of right now I got Pulock on Canada's WJ team replacing Reinhart < not impressed with his start to the season at all...
Why arent you impressed with Reinhart?

Old
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Why?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Why?
Well, perhaps disappointed is better explained this way...

compared to Pulock I'm unimpressed with Reinhart's start. Only in terms of the World Junior team, if I have to remove a player to add Pulock to the Top 7, then Reinhart seems like the likely candidate... .. I've only seen 1 game and highlights of others, and I don't want to focus too much on numbers, but Reinhart is not producing at a rate one would expect....

You are out west...you tell me how's his overall game?

Old
10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Im always hesitant to get excited about dominant players who will be among the oldest of their draft class. These players are the ones that have a full year of development more then some of the other players being drafted. Not to downplay his accomplishments because hes been phenominal thus far, but this guy will probably have a better pre-draft year than Morgan Rielly, for a lack of a better example (or atleast of any i can think of), and thus be rated as such yet both are currently in their 3rd season and producing at identical rates (because Rielly was among the youngest of his draft and is only 7 months older). I fully expect Pulock to make the top 10, but there are some players that should be ahead. Points and dominance should be less of a factor when considering he has more CHL experience than most of the draft.
I think you have to keep in mind that Pulock's year last year was probably bordering on dominant too.

In the case of guys like Pulock or Murray, you're not getting a late bloomer, you're getting a more developed player who has shown a consistent level of play over two years(or more).

I think it's a lot easier to get excited about guys like that than someone like Cody Ceci who, with a late birthday, progressed mostly in his draft year compared to his 16/17 year old year.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Pulock was a first team all-star last year.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:10 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Well, perhaps disappointed is better explained this way...

compared to Pulock I'm unimpressed with Reinhart's start. Only in terms of the World Junior team, if I have to remove a player to add Pulock to the Top 7, then Reinhart seems like the likely candidate... .. I've only seen 1 game and highlights of others, and I don't want to focus too much on numbers, but Reinhart is not producing at a rate one would expect....

You are out west...you tell me how's his overall game?
His overall game has been fantastic. With a guy like Pysyk moving on and still missing Gernat to injury, he's been given the role as their pure #1 guy. He's been fantastic in his own zone and in the games I've watched, he's also been very involved in the rush and trying to create offensively.

With the world junior team, everyone knows it's a very strategically picked team. There is no way in the world that Reinhart would make the team over Pulock if they are looking for an offensive guy to play the point on the PP. That's definitely not his strength, compared to Pulock.

But, if they are looking for a two way guy who can bring size and a more defensive outlook, Reinhart would definitely get the nod.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:23 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
His overall game has been fantastic. With a guy like Pysyk moving on and still missing Gernat to injury, he's been given the role as their pure #1 guy. He's been fantastic in his own zone and in the games I've watched, he's also been very involved in the rush and trying to create offensively.

With the world junior team, everyone knows it's a very strategically picked team. There is no way in the world that Reinhart would make the team over Pulock if they are looking for an offensive guy to play the point on the PP. That's definitely not his strength, compared to Pulock.

But, if they are looking for a two way guy who can bring size and a more defensive outlook, Reinhart would definitely get the nod.
People just expect Reinhart to be the next Pronger or something just because he's big. Once you're mature enough to get over the fact that he's his own player you can realize he's a good prospect. Just because he doesn't play a loud, sexy game and is that tall doesn't make him underwhelming. Probably not a future Norris winner or anything but he has a good shot of being a legit first pairing defender in the league, not too many prospects you can say that about without homerism/ridiculous expectations/exponential projection.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

Fair enough assessment. thanks. I'll try and catch more off his games if I can.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
People just expect Reinhart to be the next Pronger or something just because he's big. Once you're mature enough to get over the fact that he's his own player you can realize he's a good prospect. Just because he doesn't play a loud, sexy game and is that tall doesn't make him underwhelming. Probably not a future Norris winner or anything but he has a good shot of being a legit first pairing defender in the league, not too many prospects you can say that about without homerism/ridiculous expectations/exponential projection.
Yeah, I actually compared him to a guy like Eric Brewer pre-draft last year. He's big, can play physical, but that's not what makes him effective most nights.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I am very glad to be in this position to play devil's advocate. It'll get some conversations started

http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogsp...eat-kings.html
Quote:
- Ryan Pulock (Brandon Wheat Kings) - Is he smart or what? His hockey sense is off the charts IMO but I don't agree with some descriptions calling Pulock an offensive defenseman. Albeit it was just one game, but I didn't see a guy who could take charge offensively, but what I did see was a guy who didn't make a single mistake, make all the right passes (and strong, accurate ones as well) and was just very good in all aspects in his game. IMO he's more of a two-way defenseman. Not sure if he can develop into a #1 guy but I think he will be a very good #2. The difference? In my opinion, #1 guys can change the pace of the game, #2 guys can't but do everything else great. That is how I see Pulock.
I really don't see him as an offensive defenseman. To me, he is super smart and poised, he is a great two-way defenseman. But, while he makes the right choices and is mistake free in his game, I didn't see him really control the game.

This is something I find hard to explain yet I think separates #1 d-men to #2 guys. The ability to ... control the flow of the play and to really dictate the play. I didn't see that with Pulock.

With that plus my concerns about his limited physical growth (I'm not sure he will grow anymore), I have doubts that he will be a top 10 pick. I think he would be a good pick from 10-15 because of his overall good mobility, elite hockey sense, and great two-way play.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:14 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
His slapshot got clocked at 100 mph at the wheat kings skill competition.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:32 PM
jetsfan89

Pulock's bullet

Wow! 101 mph, gotta be hardest shot in the dub?

jetsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Pulock thread?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Anchor Town

It wasn't 101 mph

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:40 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Lol best thread ever so far.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Lol best thread ever so far.
You obviously missed the Nyquist Explosion.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

After hearing about his 101 mi/h shot I'm even more excited to see him.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote